Alexandria, LOUISIANA

Most Recent Alexandria Camping Reviews
Sign is down

The sign designating Saddle Bayou Campground fell into the ditch in early 2019. As of August 2019 it is still down, so if you are trying to find this campground for the first time, please note that there is no sign visible. Otherwise it is a nice primitive campground, no running water but dump toilets are available. No designated camp sites, just find a good spot and pitch your tent.

Great

Kids loved it

Beautiful creekside weekend

Camp next to this beautiful sounding creek, there is a beach to lay out on while the kids play in the water or you can hit the Caroline dorman trail on foot or horseback. Excellent site. My personal favorite in Louisiana

RANGER REVIEW:BANNER AND OAK T-SHIRT AT PARAGON CASINO RESORT RV PARK

PRODUCT REVIEW BANNER AND OAK T-SHIRT As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time - today I am testing a Banner and Oak T-shirt. https://bannerandoak.com/products/camp-navy?variant=441825624068&currency=USD&gclid=CjwKCAjwtO7qBRBQEiwAl5WC2_0XqYiJxOuate5OBrZoqMXBxOQJYNVPo5C4gRHVLoRXmsNnkAvO9BoCA78QAvD_BwE This shirt is fantastic! My husband is very tough on clothes, but after several washes, it still maintains it's size and shape! The shirt is super soft and held up well in the extreme heat of Louisiana summer. Thanks for the honor of trying this out, and I hope you all do as well! You won't be disappointed! CAMPGROUND REVIEW: PARAGON CASINO RESORT AND RV PARK When my sons suggested that we all go camping here, I was leary at first. I thought since it was a Casino that it would be all concrete and flashing lights. I am a woods and water type of girl so I really didn't want to go, but am glad I did! There was ample room for our camper which is 32 feet. Our site number 3, had full hookups and room for a couple of canapies. (Very little shade!) Also had a concrete picnic table and lots of space between campers. The kids were able to go swimming in the large outdoor pool. There's also one inside! There is a walking trail, golf course and of course, if you gamble the casino. If it rains there's also a movie theater. I didn't use the showers or laundry facilities but they had those provided, too.

Great hiking

We go to Chicot often because it is close to us. It has good hiking trails and arboretum. We usually tent camp on the south loop. These sites are not too close together. The only complaint have is that the tent pads need to be redone. The bathhouse is old but kept clean. There is a playground and splash pad near by for the kids. The lake is beautiful. Convince store is near by and WalMart about 20 minutes away.

Simple basic camping

My wife and I camped here just before memorial day and had the entire campsite to ourselves. I imagine during hunting season this camp is quite busy, however we found it very peaceful in the off months. But hey, it’s free camping. Because of its location so deep in the woods mosquitoes, horseflies, and yellow flies were in abundance. Using a therma cell was perfect at keeping them at bay. There is a composting toilet in the middle of the campground that was very clean as it has had very little use.

Great State Park and campgrounds.

One of the best and longest loop trails in the state! 👍🏻👍🏻

Swamp and raccoons

We were alone, literally alone! What I love, but when you alone all the little things gonna focus on you… cats, raccoons, possums, we were surrendered! The park is really nice for one night.

MOSQUITO HEAVEN

This is a tiny place. Rugged, but a good place to bring your boat and fish. There is only 20 amp plug ins here, though I am told that they are upgrading soon. If you like to fish, you will see all kinds! Many gators floating around also! Don't forget the mosquito repellent, they are big enough to carry you away!

Fish, bike, hike

We camped at site 363, not too bad, definitely needs upgrades. Not enough space between campers to even light a fire. There are miles of beautiful hiking trails, but beware of snakes! The bathrooms were recently updated so they were really nice. Also the laundry facilities were clean! Not too many wild flowers this trip. 😞

Timing is everything!

Timing is everything, really depends on when you go. Sometimes it crowded and noisy, sometimes quite and peaceful. Pretty nice lake!

Great Camping Location

Love Indian Creek! Quite, just far enough away and still close enough to go any time!

Great place to visit

I'm going with 41/2 stars! Great facilities, Great fishing, Great hiking, Great Arboretum! The only down side is that it can get a little crowded and noisy on busy weekends.

Wooded, quiet, convenient, amazing

This was a quiet spot surrounded by woods but near the super clean bathroom! There was a fire pit, grill and picnic table for use! Day 2 we rented a boat and paddled out for some fishing. The process was seamless and the staff friendly. The fishing pier was amazing and the kids loved how far out it went. Overall a great experience.

It's good enough.

The campground isn't the prettiest, but it's got a convenient location and offers hiking, kayaking, boating, and fishing options. I was warned over and over about the racoons, but we didn't experience them. Even in February there was a good bit of humidity - and the fish weren't biting. We had an enjoyable time, but only plan to stay here when going further is not an option.

Family Friendly

We went during the week, so it was quiet. So pretty. No sewer hookup, but has 2 dump stations. We were able to launch our kayaks from our RV site.

Great Campground

We went camping in a tent this weekend at the park and really enjoyed it. We stayed at the south landing camping area in loop A. If you plan on camping in a tent I recommend the spots in loop A and most in loop D. B and C are more for RVs but you could still set up there, those two loops are more open and the spots are closer. Loops A and D are a little more spread out and have trees between some spots. The main bathroom was in good shape and had heat. Trash was picked up every morning by the park. Our spot had a fire ring, water , and electricity. The park allows you to use dead tree limbs for firewood. One thing to know about spots on loop A near the comfort station is that there’s a treatment plant in the center that kicks on every once in a while and makes a good bit of noise at night when the motor runs. It helped put me to sleep but it might bother others. Also theres no cell signal except in one or two random spots of the campground but it was nice to unplug for a weekend . We really enjoyed this campground and park though and will definitely be back .

Bayou Camping!!

Beautiful/secluded bayou campground. Was very clean, secure and had wiFi. Friendly staff and beautiful sites. Highly recommend. Bathrooms were also very clean!

Backbone Trail

Primitive camping along the 10mi Backbone trail. Took out the hammock and camped out around the halfway mark along the trail. You can set up shop around an old fire pit or make one of your own. I chose the latter. The backbone trail has to be the prettiest trail in the state of Louisiana. It's really the only place in the state to experience actual hills. It reached 23 degrees at night which was one of the coldest temperatures recorded in the state this year. A must do!

Good hiking, fishing, and scenery!

Chicot State Park is located near Ville Platte, Louisiana. It’s a nice place to hangout for the day. This park has bathrooms and showers, electrical outlets, and clean facilities. The campsites are a mixed bag - some are great, others are extremely unlevel, & close to one another.

The park itself is great. Awesome hiking trails, good fishing, and great scenery! There’s a decent sized lake with some good fishing. I recommend kayaking at this park!

Fishing and camping

You can not camp at the day use area. There is a path from the northshore campground to the day use area.

**See review of Valentine Lake Northshore campground **

This area does have vault toilets, trash recepticles, picnic table and a pier. Beautiful place.

Biking, hiking, horsing

**see Loran Complex campground **

This day use site is connected to the campground. There is no camping at the day use area. There are 4 multiuse trails that lead out of this area. There are vault toilets and trash recepticles but NO WATER! Huge parking area and also shaded grills and picnic tables.

Trailheads and nature

This site is PERFECT for hiking or biking the multiuse trails. Inside the Kisatchie National Forest, Evangeline District. Well defined, marked sites with firepit, picnic table, lantern ring, but NO WATER. there are vault toilets available, but NO WATER. Also, be sure to check out Camp Claiborne while here. The sites are well shaded, even, spacious, and far enough away from your neighbors that you have the sense of privacy.

Peace and quiet

Inside the Kisatchie National Forest, Evangeline District lies this peaceful little oasis. Water, flush toilets, seclusion, lake, and fishing. This was an amazing spot to stay for a few nights. The sites are either on the lake or not, no reservations, picnic table, fire ring, lantern pole and shade. The only complaint I have with this campground is that you can not put your tent on the grass. Make sure you have padding.

Place to crash

There is not much to this campground. Located inside the Kisatchie National Forest, Evangeline District. As soon as you enter the area, there is a small loopped grassy area with lots of trees. Nothing else to indicate a campground (other than the sign). If you follow the road/concrete path, you may lose a tire or axil bc the road is in BAD condition. Staying here gives you access to the forrest and multiuse trails.

Clean, open, comfortable

It's so well taken care of, it's beautiful, and there's so much to explore. It's a welcoming place to experience Louisiana outdoors.

Indian Creek

Probably the most beautiful recreational area in the state. Haven't used an RV there, but tent camped there for years.

Bayou and trails

Located inside the Kisatchie National Forest, Kisatchie District this campsite is at the same location as Kisatchie Bayou Campground Day Use Area. The 2 spots share a pit toilet and access to the bayou. The sites are basic and secluded and beautiful with the bayou water running in the background.

This is a great campground to explore the entire forest and all the hiking trails. My photos are of all the things we explored while staying at this campground, some things are not inside campground.

"Ranger Review: INNO Aero Light 2 (2 bike) at Kisatchie Bayou Recreation.."

CAMPGROUND REVIEW:

Located inside the Kisatchie National Forest, Kisatchie District, this campground is great. This section of National Forest is home to over 30 miles of nature trails. The trails are for hiking, biking, horseback riding and off road vehicle riding. This campground is just steps away from the bayou where you can launch a canoe or kayak depending on the water level. Fishing and swimming are great pastimes here. The site has a grassy area and fire pit. There are vault toilets and NO WATER so be prepared for that. The day use area offers picnic tables, fire pits and grills. There are 2 different sites for camping on either side of the day use area. The day use area has a lot of local traffic but we did not encounter a lot of overnight campers. It is very secluded and the sound of the bayou is serene. There are lots of wildlife sounds at night but we didn't see anything more than a squirrel. We loved our stay here. We hiked, biked, and relaxed in the low waters of the bayou.

NOTE - Kisatchie Bayou Recreation Complex Camping/Day Use is the same area as Kisatchie Bayou Campground

PRODUCT REVIEW:

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time - today I tested the INNO Aero Light 2 (2 bike) hitch rack.

www.innoracks.com

This bike rack made our trip so easy. It was easy to set up, easy to install (my 8 yr old did it). The simple hitch design slides right into a standard 2" hitch receiver or can be adjusted to 1 1/4". The screw bolt came with it along with a wrench for tightening on the receiver. We easily secured 2 bikes to the rack. Bike weight needs to be less than 33 lbs., have a top tube and a seat tube. Frame size 1/2" - 2 1/4". We loved this rack for its sturdiness and lightweightedness. It traveled great, we drove with the rack on my SUV for over 300 miles and we never had any problems. A great feature is the easy fold down option to allow access to the back of the car. This rack also features great locking mechanisms. You can lock the rack at the hitch as well as lock the built in strap around the bikes. As our little one grows and his bike gets bigger, we will definitely get a larger INNO rack to carry all the bikes. For now, the 2 bike rack is working great.

Pros: lightweight, easy install, easy fold down feature, great locking mechanisms.

Cons: None

At the beginning of the forest

Inside the Kisatchie National Forest, Kisatchie District next door to the Ranger Station where you will find all trail maps and forest information. This campground offers water, designated sites, flush toilets, trash disposal and a great starting point to exploring the forest or just traveling down Longleaf Trail Scenic Byway. I would suggest if you will be in the forest for a few days to start here, get your maps and spend some time planning your route. Load up with water because not all campgrounds have it.