THE BEST CAMPING IN
Louisiana
Camping Louisiana

Louisiana is known as Cajun country, where the land there was formed from sediment washed down by the Mississippi River, forming huge deltas and massive areas of coastal marsh and bayous with alligators and tree frogs and trees lined with spanish moss. Ibis and egrets fly through longleaf pine forests and wet savannas are filled with orchids, pitcher plants and sundews. Camping in Louisiana is an experience like no other. Whether it’s by RV, tent or just under the starlit sky, camping in Louisiana is an adventure unlike anywhere else in the United States.

But it’s not all wetlands and marshes. Enjoy the best of coastal camping in Louisiana’s beachside community of Grand Isle. Located where Highway 1 meets the Gulf of Mexico, it’s the closest Louisiana beach from Baton Rouge and New Orleans, making these destinations a convenient day trip while you’re camping.

Grand Isle is, in fact, an island and a town, with small, locally-owned shops and a state park just made for camping. With 63 sites available, Grand Isle State Park is a great place to camp on the beach and cook the seafood you just caught during July’s Grand Isle Tarpon Rodeo, an event that brings together the best saltwater fishermen in the world. Or, if you like bird watching, the Grand Isle Migratory Bird Festival offers plenty of opportunities to see a myriad of bird species return home from South America. Of course, there’s plenty of swimming, hiking, crabbing and boating in Grand Isle as well.

Another great place for camping in Louisiana is Tunica Hills, which belongs to the Bluff Hills portion of the Mississippi Valley Loess Plains and extends from the Natchez, Mississippi area to St. Francisville, Louisiana. Managed by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, the Tunica Hills Wildlife Area is northwest of St. Francisville and covers more than 5,900 acres of rolling hills and scenic beauty.

Remember when I talked about the wetland and marshes? Tunica Hills isn’t anything like that; in fact, it’s unlike any other area in Louisiana. In Tunica Hills, you’ll find springs and waterfalls, rugged terrain, cliffs 90 feet high, deep gorges and lush, diverse plant life and animals you won’t find anywhere else in the state.

And while Tunica Hills is known for hunting, a variety of other activities offer campers plenty to do such as horseback riding, hiking, ATV riding and sightseeing. And if you’re a birding enthusiast, then you’ve hit the jackpot because rare birds such as the Coopers hawk and worm-eating warbler live within the thick forests there. It’s no wonder John James Audubon was inspired to paint his famous bird series there in the early 1800s.

Louisiana is full of other places to go camping. Don’t worry, we’ve got more recommendations. And while you’re camping in Louisiana, you might as well cook like you’re in Louisiana.

Let us know how your experience in Louisiana was by leaving a review of your campground on The Dyrt.

Recent Reviews in Louisiana
Nice place to stay

Owner sand management are the nicest people. Quite, peaceful and in a close location to town. Would stay here again if I am ever in the area.

Great hiking

We go to Chicot often because it is close to us. It has good hiking trails and arboretum. We usually tent camp on the south loop. These sites are not too close together. The only complaint have is that the tent pads need to be redone. The bathhouse is old but kept clean. There is a playground and splash pad near by for the kids. The lake is beautiful. Convince store is near by and WalMart about 20 minutes away.

Very Nice!

The park has RV sites, tent camping and rental cabins on the lake. Fishing, sightseeing, relaxing. Its all here!

Great for hiking, biking, and kayaking

If you like Louisiana Wildlife this is the place for you! I saw a couple of lounging alligators, egrets, snapping turtles, deer, and a chipmunk!!! I was kind of scared when I saw a sign on the trails warning of the gators! As far as RV camping, it wasn't a really nice area. The site we were in was 56, I don't reccomend it. Pretty unlevel and very close to other campers. When it rained, the water pooled on the backside and where the picnic table was. There was a shower house. It was old, but really clean.

Nice amenities

Lots to do with pool, water slide , water play area mini golf and fishing. Stayed when it was a Yogi Bear park.

Funny

A nice scene

Fun

Just great

Not the greatest place

Overgrown and neglected. I drove the miles to visit, so I stayed anyway. It can be done! Would be cool spot if it was cleaned and properly maintained.

Cloud crossing

Good camp ground along the Saline Bayou Scenic River Corridor. Included pull-up spots, restrooms, boat/kayak launch and a decent little 6 mile trail.

Decent Spot

It's a decent spot for being nearby to Lafayette. The thing I don't like is the expensive prices for State Parks in Louisiana and the closed gates that don't allow late night entrance. Small man made pond in the back, watched a kid catch a large bass a few years back. The primitive hike in spots are on the back side of the pond so you have to hike in about a mile to rent camp for cheaper than the price of the RV pull up spots. This is a newer state park and it has nice, clean, large facilities with showers and bathrooms. The trail is super short. Overall the park is very small. Fun spot for kayak fishing. Noticed lots of invasive apple snails.

Beautiful Area

Very nice campground, great area for kids. Campsite was right on the lake and had a gorgeous sunset. Bathrooms werent the greatest but still good. The only really bad thing was that there was poison ivy all around our campsight.

Exactly what you need when visiting Baton Rouge!

We have stayed here for 4 consecutive years for the Louisiana Marathon weekend in January and couldn’t ask for a better home base for one of our favorite race weekends.

They offer regular pull thru spots with both 30 and 50 amp full hook ups and deluxe with a fire ring and patio space. The campground and bath house are kept clean and there is even a dog park for your furry camping friends.

Was nice little campground

Was nice with lots of shade. Right on Bayou Teche. Very quiet and had a small petting zoo. But Campground is now closed.

Nice

Nice campground. Great place to launch you’re boat and enjoy fishing. There’s a man made beach that’s nice for the kids and a really nice playground. They do have lots of snakes in the rocks along the water that like to “sun” themselves.  Also it’s full of gators. So watch your kiddos in the water and pets.

Not worth the money 💰

My kids LOVE Yogi Bear because of what it is. YOGI BEAR lol. The place is very run down and I don’t really see where the money is actually going. The sites are horrible, uneven and broken up cement. Doesn’t really pay to have the sites cemented where they are. In the back they aren’t and it really looks like you park where you want. Lots of people brag about their activities but all the times we’ve been here we’ve never known about any activities. The permanent sites here are just ratchet looking. They also have its own “neighborhood” of people living here. The golf coarse was filthy and full of mosquitoes. I’m from south Louisiana so I know about mosquitoes and this was a bit ridiculous in the middle of the day. The basketball court is all broken up and crappy looking. I just see way better Yogi Bear campgrounds out there and it’s such a shame because my kids love Yogi and this one is so close to home!!

Small and Quiet

Natalbany Campground is nice. They have a fishing pond and small pier. The sites are concrete and so are the roads. They have a swimming pool. They also have cabins you’re able to rent. They have a campground store and arcade room in the front near the pool. During holidays they have lots of activities. They’re also full hook ups.

It’s been closed for a few years now.

This once was a beautiful and quiet place! Now it’s privately owned and no longer a campground.

Rolling on the river

This campground has gracious, hospitable staff. They have a nice camp store and a sitting area with coffee. The spots are laid out with a concrete pad and the grassy space of another camper size spot for a “yard”. During special events such as the balloon races, these grassy yards are filled with campers also and the spaces are much tighter. Almost all of the slots are pull throughs.

This is an awesome place to relax and enjoy!

Tight spaces

This is a typical KOA with the normal KOA amenities and tight spaces. We normally stayed a month at a time and always were put in the section that is farthest away from the office and all of those amenities. The brunette co-owner is “curt, bordering on rude”. The rest of the staff are great to deal with!

The store is adequate as are the showers, the laundry (w/a mini library swap stop) is very nice. This KOA is very clean.

Its Aight

Its an aight spot to escape the city and not far from Lafayette. I like the grills and covered areas on the beach with the picnic tables. I don't like all the thick black oily mulch like substance in the water, its like quicksand and hard to swim in. This is not a tent camping area so I'm not sure why its listed as such, tents arent allowed here. The entrance fee is cheap.

Small but ok

Nothing special about this campground, but a nice get-away if you live close by and just want to enjoy some peace and quiet away from home.  That's what I always used it for.  Warning, though…bring your own water.  Something is wrong with the water there.  It smells and tastes weird.  Don't know if it's the pipes or what, but it's nasty.

Beautiful scenery, great Hospitality

Poche’s have great spots that can be backed in and there are a few pull throughs. The owners are very hospitable. There are facilities for group events. This is where we take our camper when we wish to find peace, quiet, and great fishing.

One of our favorite parks to camp

Very reasonable rates, great fishing, Ken is very friendly and helpful.  The only thing that it lacks is water hookups on each tent site.  The new fishing pier is awesome!  Just make sure you check the weather to see if there are any coastal flooding warnings.  We weren't aware of this on our last trip and got flooded.  We know, now, to make sure to check before going, and absolutely will be back on a regular basis.  LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

Way too expensive!

My ex-husband and I were tricked into a membership here, years ago.  The thing that sold us was we were told that the coast to coast membership that went along with the plan we were considering would give us 50% off of airline flights.  LIE!  We were also told that Jellystone in Robert, LA would be a cheap place to stay when we would visit a theme park that was being built in the near future in Robert.  ANOTHER LIE!  The owners of the park are total jerks!  Our daughter's finger got caught in the fan in the ice machine that was exposed, with the grill that was supposed to be covering it that was broken and hanging by a screw.  We had to take her to the ER, where she almost lost her finger.  It was negligence on their part by not fixing the grill properly and they wouldn't pay for the hospital bill.  We sold our membership after that and took a big loss.  These people don't care about their members.  They're just in this to make as much money as possible by "raping" everyone with their high prices and lies.  I only gave it 1 star because I had to in order to write the review.  I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!

Casino RV Park with full hookups.

Great park on casino property. Concrete level sites with patio and picnic table. Full hookups with cable TV. Lodge and pool. Casino shuttle.

Basic but everything you need

Very basic with full 50 amp service and Direct TV.  Bathrooms very clean and air conditioned.   Level gravel lots and quiet.  Plenty of space between sites.

Large campground

Pets are welcome, showers, restrooms, and laundry room, paved/gravel roads, Propane onsite, Open all year, free Cable TV and WiFi, nice pool with slides, Tennis Court, playground for kids, ponds with fishing.

Simple basic camping

My wife and I camped here just before memorial day and had the entire campsite to ourselves. I imagine during hunting season this camp is quite busy, however we found it very peaceful in the off months. But hey, it’s free camping. Because of its location so deep in the woods mosquitoes, horseflies, and yellow flies were in abundance. Using a therma cell was perfect at keeping them at bay. There is a composting toilet in the middle of the campground that was very clean as it has had very little use.