The best WALK IN camping near
Routons Crossroads , GEORGIA

Most Recent Routons Crossroads Camping Reviews
Nice hiking areas, clean sites and close to Atlanta.

Great State Park only 1.5 hours from Atlanta. We stayed in site 502 which was a good pull through spot. We noticed that most of the sites are not super private- it would be great if there were some low shrubbery in between sites (lots of very nice mature trees but not much down low to provide privacy). All areas were well taken care of and very clean (including the restrooms).  We really appreciated that each camping area Host had firewood to sell! Try and figure out where your campsite is PRIOR to going to the Park as there are two entrances and one entry is closer to campsites 1, 2, 3 and another entry is closer to campsites 4, 5, 6. The hiking trails were very nice.  We saw a good variety of birds including the very large Pileated Woodpecker. A group of white tailed deer also came very close to our campsite- one of the photos shows how nicely they blend into the woods!

Community Effort

Unfortunately the weather wasn’t the best when we stayed here. I want to go back in the summer and hike the long trail. When we arrived there was obviously an event going on. The small town along the front of Indian Springs State Park seems to be very in tune with the park. There is an event center, excellent restaurant and small gas/grocery right by the entrance. The campground was full even though it was February, which once again speaks to the community and residents. Not the most private sites but they are roomy. I was way to close to the playground. Screaming children are annoying… I’m not referring to yelling and cavorting. These were squalling, screeching hellions with no regard to others around them. One even made a rush at my dogs as I was walking by :( Not much view but you are above some water. No trail near the campground unfortunately. I did not use the showerhouse, it was conveniently located, but was the only one so I’m sure it gets busy.

We enjoyed the nature trail but skipped the longer more difficult trail due to incoming weather. Saw some deer, not much else. Not a well marked trail but we figured it out. I saw people headed to the spring with empty containers and the falls or cascades, were very beautiful.

Hiker’s paradise

We stayed in a pull thru site #109 on the lake. It was a nice site but everyone was kinda close and there wasn’t much privacy at all. Plus side it had 30 and 50 amp hookup along with electric and sewage. The park was well kept and the park ranger was super nice as we locked ourselves out on our first night before we even set up. He came by made sure we were good and had warm clothes/water while we waited on the locksmith. As far as hiking goes there are so many trails along Pine Mountain. We did the Cascade Falls which was 2.9 one way. The trail was well marked and had some ridge hiking along with several creeks and of course the falls which were well worth it. There was a gas station with a country store that had everything you would need for last minute camping supplies etc. Definitely plan to come back when the trees are full again as everything was somewhat bare due to it being winter months.

Traveling through

Very sincere owners, helpful and assisted in parking. No property lights, hard to be able to keep dogs clean at this early stage. No internet available. Private and good for over night stay. Enjoyed Meant to say also they are very new some grounds are new and not grassy yet but this will be a great place to visit in a year. We will be back.

Beautiful area near lake and river walk

This is a new RV park with full hookups. WiFi is available for long term guests through Mediacom. Daily, weekly and monthly rates with up charge on electric after 800 kWh.

On the outskirts of Columbus. Fishing, Paved river walk for walking and biking, near Ft Benning and golf course. Pleasant owner with big plans to make this a great park. Assisted us with getting to and in our site at dark. Camp host is very helpful.

Cons: large gravel on road and sites making leveling difficult. Sites are fairly close together but better than some. Landscape is in its early stage so grass is sparse. Beautiful trees surround the area but none on sites.

Fantastic

I stayed in site 52 and there was only one person next to me. Sites were spread out nicely and taken care of. Gates close for cars at 10pm and reopen at 7am. Felt safe. Would go again :)

Really nice place to camp.

Big campsites on beautiful lake. Stayed at site 38. Great stay.

Beautiful Park

Lots of great hiking. 2 playgrounds were open. Playgrounds are brand new or at least they look brand new. I am 225 lbs and I played on all the equipment with my daughter. The bathrooms were cleaner than my bathroom at home. The dogs loved the hiking and the river is beautiful with the fall colors. There are so many small trails that are shortcuts around this park. After 2 days, you will feel like a local getting around. There is ice at the visitor center along with snacks and souvenirs. I look forward to my next visit.

Great sites, friendly people, nice trails nearby

Check in was quick and easy. We had an amazing site with a great waterfront view perfect for sunsets. Kids thoroughly enjoyed playing at the edge of the water. The nearby restroom was old but serviceable and the playground was small. Trailhead is a short drive and the trails we went on were very nice. Late checkout (3pm) was so nice. Overall, a great campground. Will definitely return in the future.

Great Walk Up Tent Sites

Really gorgeous park. Has a great 5 mile trail that is basically no elevation besides some small hills, that is right on the river. Even on hot days you catch a cool breeze off the river making it a nice, easy hike. Massive observation tower is very cool. Facilities are always clean and staff has always been friendly. Office does sell firewood and some gifts.