Equestrian
About F.D. Roosevelt State Park
No WiFi
F.D. Roosevelt State Park is located in Georgia
21 Reviews of F.D. Roosevelt State Park
One of my favorite parks close to home

This is park is just a few hours away from home so we stayed for a few days to camp and hike. I took my teardrop trailer and had site 315. It was perfect for my little camper and even had a couple of trees perfect for my hammock. Easily could walk to the restrooms too. The camp hosts staying across the way were so friendly.

I didn’t even have to leave the park to hike! So many trails close by and a beautiful lake to walk around. I want to come back soon and explore some more.

Great short stay Getaway

Went tent camping for one night at FDR. It is very pretty. Great short or long hiking trails. They are challenging as there are some very steep parts. Walked around Lake Delanor with the kids. They had a ball. The campsites are close to each other. The whole campsite is not very big compared to others I have been to. Would not recommend a long camper here as it would be tight is some spots.

Would have been better...

Would have been better if it weren’t for the construction and site improvements. Even though quiet time is until 7, there were construction noises starting at 6:30 every morning we were there with their trucks flying down the campground roads. Very disappointing we couldn’t get the full relaxing experience this park could offer.

Outdoor recreation happy place!

We stayed at FDR state park for 4 nights and it was a beautiful park with great hosts and great campsites! Bath houses were well-maintained and sites not on top of each other like some other places. They have horseback riding stables and kayaks for rent (but COVID is not allowing rentals). We took our kayaks and used them in Lake Delanor. Our campsite was #312 and it accommodated our 22 ft camper well, had an additional large tent pad, a fire ring and picnic table. We were located next to a group pavilion which we utilized when the rains came down. For dog owners like us, a big green grassy area was located behind our site to walk our 4-legged kids. Totally enjoyable experience and would love to return to backcountry camp and do some trails.

Nice Campground

I’ll start with a couple of negatives before moving on to the many positives. I camped at site 114, which I was really excited about because it was right on a very pretty lake. However, the pad was very rocky (I’m a tent camper) and the remainder of the site was on a slope that made it far less enjoyable. Even the picnic table was wedged up against a tree to keep it from sliding into the lake. This site has basically zero privacy. In fact, if you like privacy when camping, you probably don’t want any of the sites that have a view of the lake. On to the positives. This is a very pretty campground with a pool, a lake, a nice visitor center with great views, extremely clean bathrooms (showers included), and several pretty trails of differing difficulties. I will return, but I will choose a nice wooded campsite rather than a bare campsite near the lake.

Had a blast

My four kids and I had a blast at FDR state park. They have a lot of stuff to do there. We fished and swam, they also had a scavenger hunt that you kids loved doing. We camped in campground 5 and from where our site was we could see the playground and also let our kids ride there bikes around the circle that the camp sites where on. We will be visiting FDR again soon.

Needs updates

Nice park, however needs some up dates. We visited during weekend, which is busy. Don’t want to complain, however “Barking Dogs” the whole time was a bit too much. That rule is not enforced by rangers. Not enough bathrooms, noticed yucky urine smells around campsites. (Peeing in the woods I suppose ). Sunday night-Monday morning, campground little more enjoyable, crowds and barking dogs vacated. However trash bins over flowing with mountain of trash.
WiFi unavailable and Antenna TV not available. Lots of shade, and pretty lake. Bathroom some what clean- one shower (?????). Our site not completely level, notice a lot of wash out gravel in other sites. For the price, I was disappointed with this park. It really could be a nice park with updates. Traveling in C Class.

Wildflowers

This is where President Roosevelt came to relax. Warm Springs and Roosevelt's Little White House Historic Site is a short drive away. Calloway Gardens and a drive through animal park are all close by. The campground is nice with lots of trees so there is some privacy. There are 2 campground loops, and a small lake. Most are water and electric. There is s dump station. There is a horse stable, too. Dowdell's Knob where President Roosevelt sometimes picnicked at King’s Gap. There is still a picnic area there, with A life-size sculpture of the former president.

The Civilian Conservation Corps built many of the facilities during the Great Depression, including cottages and the Liberty Bell Swimming Pool which is spring fed.

Lots to do and see

We went here prior to “site specific” booking and still somehow managed a lakefront site right next to a shelter house. Luckily, the shelter wasn’t used by any groups while we were there.

The driveways are gravel which is where we pitched the tents. We had access to the lake for fishing and our canoe from the back of our site. The sites are somewhat close together and not private.

Some of the sites were much smaller and had a view of the lake (but no access) and some closer to the back were larger and more private. Many were multi-level.

The camp store was well stocked including bait for fishing and other fishing/camping gear. The camp store is separate from the registration/check-in store.

There are plenty of trails and you are a short drive from a beautiful overlook.

Good easy accessible back country camp sites

FD Roosevelt State Park between Pine Mountain and Warm Springs GA offers 23+ miles of hiking trails that are highly trafficked by day hikers, runners, families, and picnickers. Peak seasons can make the trails crowded.

Campsites and cabins are available for drive ins, but there are designated back country camping sites along the trail. Unfortunately information regarding the sites is sparse and vague at best. However you can park at multiple locations to allow you to customize your hiking to camping needs, and all the camp grounds seemed to be imclean and in good shape.