The best camping in
Georgia

Camping Georgia

With 63 state parks and historic sites, from the Appalachian Mountains to the Atlantic sea islands, more and more adventurers are picking Georgia for their outdoor expeditions. Anchored by the mass metropolis of Atlanta on the north end, and graced by the Southern charm of Savannah in the south, Georgia offers plenty of adventure in between, with some of the highest peaks, prettiest waterfalls, and the best shelling in the South. Grab your tent, your best broken-in boots, or the car-camping accoutrements – camping in Georgia is waiting for you!

The Chattahoochee Forest is a popular camping destination, but it can be hard to escape the hustle and bustle, especially at the Chattooga and Blue Ridge recreation areas. Luckily Three Forks Campground at the Appalachian Trail offers an escape from the hubbub of more popular sites. Enjoy multiple waterfalls, trout streams, and gnarled trees, all in an old-growth forest. There’s also access to several trails – the perfect home base to get some serious day hiking done.

Enamored by all of your options for camping in Georgia? We are too! With its stunning biodiversity (home to the greatest concentration of salamander species in the world), lush forests, and verdant bottomlands, it’s well-worth a trip. For a great taste of the beauty, try the Bear Creek Trail, with its adjacent campground. Winding through a beautiful stream valley, this trek takes you past the second-largest tree in Georgia, burbling waterfalls, and plenty of wildflowers for your 5.7 mile round-trip hike.

But if you’re looking for something different than the Chattahoochee area, check out the Silver Comet Trail, a short jaunt north of Atlanta – perfect for weekend warriors eager to get out into nature. Free and paved, at just over 61 miles long, the Silver Comet trail is built on abandoned rail lines. The path winds through residential areas and forests alike, where you’ll find everything from tunnels to trestles, bike rental shops to wheelchair access points. Find camping in Georgia along the way and get as close to the natural beauty as possible.

Whichever route you choose - mountains or flatlands, waterfalls or sea - you can be sure to find some of the best camping in Georgia off the beaten trail with The Dyrt!

Recent Reviews in Georgia
Great place for hiking

Have hiked here several times and enjoyed the amazing waterfall.

Gorgeous State Park!

We went here for the first extended trip in our new RV and loved it! Gorgeous park with all of the oak trees and Spanish Moss. The camp sites were spacious and level. Some of the cleanest and nicest bath houses I’ve ever seen. The bike trails and hiking trails are unreal and everything is so nice. Very close to Savannah and Tybee Island. We will definitely be back!

Great site close to Blue Ridge

We lucked out and got site 33 (it’s a first come, first serve site). It’s close to the water and we visited in late October so there was no one else nearby. We had the beach to ourselves for a meteor shower. The main bathrooms and showers were nice (even heated). They drive firewood and ice out to your site.

OFF THE BEATEN PATH

This RV Park is both permanent and nightly with trailer homes as well as RV. It is about 15 miles from I-95 but worth it in the savings if you have Passport America! We booked by phone 48 hours before arrival but because it was Sunday when we arrived, we were just given our site number and did not meet management.

Not bad - nice location

Large campground with a large lake and hiking trails. RV sites are gravel and uneven - difficult to get you rig level. WiFi is terrible - even though they have numerous links they are intermittent and weak - there is no cable hookup and you cannot stream movies, etc even if you can stay hooked up (camp rule). They do offer military discounts.

Forest Service Campground

One thing I disliked was road noise, other than that nice place.

Water and land

The main feature is the lake. Fishing, boating, kayaking, swimming. Stayed at site #12. Waterfront excellent view of lake but sunny site. Sites had water, electric, concrete table, fire ring, and lantern hook. Not much barrier between sites but sites were good size just open. Everyone was very friendly. During week it was relatively empty but on Friday the campground started to fill up. Sites in the 60-90 loop looked the best with water views and shade and most were pull through. The bathrooms were ok and there is a laundry room. The bathrooms were quite far from some sites requiring a long walk or drive. Park had a great store selling souvenirs, ice, firewood, worms for fishing. Campground staff and host were very friendly. Not much around outside park. There was a dollar general about 12 miles away for supplies. You could pull your boat up to your waterfront campsite. They also have kayak rentals.

Great campground

We stayed here overnight on the way to Fl and wished we could have stayed here longer. The campground is very clean and has a great pool area. The pool area has a kids pool and hot tub along with the regular inground pool. There are not many trees in the campground for shade but if you have an awning it shouldn't make to much of a difference.

Nice campground by the lake

Clean campground with access to the lake. Most sites are electric/water but no sewer hook up, they do have a dump station and bathhouses. There is a boat ramp in the campground where you can launch your boat and parking for the boat trailer.

Great location!

The location in Helen was awesome! It is remote enough to get away from the busy streets of Helen, GA. The other camp houses are near and you’ll hear your neighbor occasionally, but the sites are pretty private. Small creek near so you can hear the water running at night. :) you can venture off trail, we found a spot on the chattahoochee river like that, which we got to enjoy with no crowd!

A plesent stay

While on our vacation headed from Disney to talladega for the race we had generator problems and had to find something close to the track. The only problem was it was about 530 on a Friday night. But we happened to see that they had RV spots open. So we called the night manager talked to him about trying to get help even though they were closed. The manager was awesome set up the site for us saying I could just come by in the morning to pay. Plenty of space between the sites and nice trails to go walking on.

The only real downsides to this place was quite hours weren’t really enforced. (Though it was a bunch of kids playing). And the bathrooms were cleanish. Just needed a little bit of detailed cleaning. But overall our stay here was very pleasant.

Historic and Relaxing

Very nice and quiet campground with lots of history.

Relaxing

Best place to kick back and relax. Definitely a good place to unplug. This is due to limited cell service but who needs that when you are disconnecting from the grind.

Awesome Campground on the water

This is an awesome campground on a large lake with fairly secluded sights. Cell phone service was pretty spotty which became an issue while trying to do some hiking. Their are a number of activities available including, hiking, biking, fishing and boating. This campground is extremely family friendly, almost too much for our liking as there were kids EVERYWHERE. There is a large beach area and an event center where they hold daily shows and classes. They even have a put-put course on sight. Bathrooms and facilities were well maintained, clean and plentiful. This is an extremely large campground! My biggest complaint would be the lack of markings on hiking trails. We had a hard time finding some of the trailheads even with the maps provided at the main office. I would like to make a trip back here during the week to avoid some of the crowds but outside of that this is an outstanding place to camp. Even with the weekend crowd we very much enjoyed ourselves!

Beautiful park

This is a beautiful park. The views are wonderful, hiking is great. This is our second trip and it was VERY crowded both times, maybe all the time. That takes its toll on the environment. There is lots of trash on all the trails. The camp sites are not ideal. We stayed in the blue loop this trip and picked a site that we thought would have a water view. It did but from the back side of the camper. The way the one way roads go all the views are from the wrong side. The site was not level at all and the pavement was all cracked making it hard to park. The bath houses are very clean but the shower that I used had no hot water. Overall we enjoyed the stay, obviously enough to make a second trip, but it will likely be the last. I think we prefer the less traveled places.

Lake views but...

Beautiful views, but many of the sites on the far loop are full sun. We stayed at site 26. The view was beautiful, the sun was pretty rough until it went down, that spot is particularly sunny. The road noice in the far loop is horrible, all night long!! I didn’t realize it was so close to the road! There are 18 wheelers for the nearby rock plant that run at all hours and they are loud!! Also there’s a train, not a once in a while train with horns, like all night long coming and going. This park has a magnificent lake and if you stay there stay close to the front of the park. I think this would have been a better option with the noise. If you and your kids are light sleepers, this might not be the location for you. The bathroom is also very far away from the far loop.

Very nice campground

The staff was super friendly and very helpful. The bathhouses were clean and plenty of hot water for the shower. Our campsite was large with a fire ring, BBQ grill and picnic table. Also, had a lantern post. We stayed at site A which was down a steep slope but, we had a nice view of the lake and even went for a swim right from our campsite.

Nice but don’t cancel.

There is only one thing I find as a negative. There new policy of full (non-refundable) payment is now required when you make your reservation. Unless you want to pay an up charge for your nightly rate.

Tight Camping

Folks were nice and present but the sites are very tight. We came in and were not happy with our site l. The staff did try to help us find a better site but they are very limited on 50amp sites. The place did look very nice with lots of different activities. Ideal for passing through.

Love this place

Mrs Shirley was the best. Stayed about 9 months while working. One of my favorites.

Beautiful place

Absolutely beautiful. We stayed in the cabins. Cabin #1. We attended the Hammer-In in the fall of 2019. That event itself was awesome. Campgrounds were very clean. Cabin was good, clean and comfortable. A little close to the neighbors is my only unliked thing about the whole place. I’m an isolation type of person though so…. fuck it. It was still AWESOME! I’ll be back in the spring! Oh also dogs are only allowed in one of their cabins. Kind of bummed about that but I understand. Another downer but won’t stop me from going back.

Nice Campground

I’ll start with a couple of negatives before moving on to the many positives. I camped at site 114, which I was really excited about because it was right on a very pretty lake. However, the pad was very rocky (I’m a tent camper) and the remainder of the site was on a slope that made it far less enjoyable. Even the picnic table was wedged up against a tree to keep it from sliding into the lake. This site has basically zero privacy. In fact, if you like privacy when camping, you probably don’t want any of the sites that have a view of the lake. On to the positives. This is a very pretty campground with a pool, a lake, a nice visitor center with great views, extremely clean bathrooms (showers included), and several pretty trails of differing difficulties. I will return, but I will choose a nice wooded campsite rather than a bare campsite near the lake.

Great Campground- Wide Open Spaces

Most sites are concrete with full hookups. Its a new campground so they are still getting a the amenities operational. Close to the interstate and Savannah. Be careful of GPS directions as they try to put you down a dirt/narrow road before the "real" entrance. I would definitely stay again. Thank goodness I didn't see any long term sites so it was nice for a change.

Primarily an RV park

I’m giving this campground 4 stars as an RV park, not as a good spot for tent camping.

There were pros and cons, so I’ll start with the cons- the campground is surrounded by what looked to be a mobile home community. If you stay in an rv site, you probably won’t notice this, but the tent with electric sites are on the outer loop, so we noticed, and heard commotion from the road and community well into the night. The tent/electric sites were slightly wooded, but most are basically in the back yard of said community, so you don’t really have the “camping in the woods” feeling. We were the only occupants of tent/electric and there was not a single tent in the primitive field. The campground is pretty pricey also, compared to other places I’ve stayed.

Pros- This grounds was very clean and well maintained. Every site has gravel, and they had a pile of fill gravel, so I guess they fill it in when it gets low in spots. The restrooms and showers were also very clean and well kept. While I believe there are some long term residents here, the sites were not very cluttered as many are at other parks.

The campground is really close to the exit, and several restaurants, and really close to Chattanooga. There’s a camp store with essentials, including ice and firewood. There’s a pool that looks to be very clean and well maintained.

This is a great spot to spend the night if you are visiting Chattanooga and just need a place to stay close by, but I would say if you are just wanting to camp out, you could find a better spot in the great outdoors for that.

West Rim Walk In

Stayed at site #21 which was about a 1/4 mile from the parking lot and bath house. There was also a short trail to the road which made loading/unlaoding gear easier than hiking it all in. Great camp site that had easy access to West Rim Loop trail. Camp site was large, nice fire pit with cooking grate, picnic table, and nice tent pad. Could not see any of our neighbors from our site but some of the other camp sites were closer to each other.

Great riverside camping!

We camped here after kayaking the Taccoa River from Deep Hole Campground. You can also access these sites from a parking area about a half mile from the river. There is a lot of people walking down from the parking area during the day but the campsites are still fairly private. On the other side of the swing bridge is Rock Creek Lake dispersed camping area that can be accessed from Hatchery Road off Hwy 60.

Great and Plenty of Trails

We stayed at the esquirion site which was large and had stables. Beautiful place and clean… Kind of tight and up hill a little getting in and out…

Awesome Experience

You have several choices, we chose a Premium Site with a Grill and Deck right next to the pool Full Hook Ups and Electricity. Best thing is your right down from all the Activities and History Stone mountain has… The Campground is Too Notch and very clean…. Traffic is heavy at times so be careful.

Spacious Galore and Clean Grounds

Open and when I mean open space,all over the Park. Great for fishing Boating, Swimming and they have a great little Museum for the Veterans…. Outside plenty of Military Tanks and Airplanes to see throughout the use in our Military.

Very Rich In History and Cozy Camping

Another Winner from Georgia…. Great camping and pretty easy to get in and out of you have a medium to large rig…. A little harder if you have 38ft or larger but Overall one to visit…