the dyrt
THE BEST CAMPING IN
Georgia

With 63 state parks and historic sites, from the Appalachian Mountains to the Atlantic sea islands, more and more adventurers are picking Georgia for their outdoor expeditions. Anchored by the mass metropolis of Atlanta on the north end, and graced by the Southern charm of Savannah in the south, Georgia offers plenty of adventure in between, with some of the highest peaks, prettiest waterfalls, and the best shelling in the South. Grab your tent, your best broken-in boots, or the car-camping accoutrements – camping in Georgia is waiting for you!

The Chattahoochee Forest is a popular camping destination, but it can be hard to escape the hustle and bustle, especially at the Chattooga and Blue Ridge recreation areas. Luckily Three Forks Campground at the Appalachian Trail offers an escape from the hubbub of more popular sites. Enjoy multiple waterfalls, trout streams, and gnarled trees, all in an old-growth forest. There’s also access to several trails – the perfect home base to get some serious day hiking done.

Enamored by all of your options for camping in Georgia? We are too! With its stunning biodiversity (home to the greatest concentration of salamander species in the world), lush forests, and verdant bottomlands, it’s well-worth a trip. For a great taste of the beauty, try the Bear Creek Trail, with its adjacent campground. Winding through a beautiful stream valley, this trek takes you past the second-largest tree in Georgia, burbling waterfalls, and plenty of wildflowers for your 5.7 mile round-trip hike.

But if you’re looking for something different than the Chattahoochee area, check out the Silver Comet Trail, a short jaunt north of Atlanta – perfect for weekend warriors eager to get out into nature. Free and paved, at just over 61 miles long, the Silver Comet trail is built on abandoned rail lines. The path winds through residential areas and forests alike, where you’ll find everything from tunnels to trestles, bike rental shops to wheelchair access points. Find camping in Georgia along the way and get as close to the natural beauty as possible.

Whichever route you choose - mountains or flatlands, waterfalls or sea - you can be sure to find some of the best camping in Georgia off the beaten trail with The Dyrt!

Recent Reviews in Georgia
Historic Methodist Church Campground

This is a historic Methodist Church Campground that is not used except on special occasions.

Words can’t describe!

I wouldn’t keep my dogs there! It’s a junkyard and dump site. Did not stay, just drove through.

Beware

This is a beautiful area, but I’m sure that there are many campgrounds in the area that are as if not even more beautiful. The manager and owner of the campground are very aggressive and have a tendency to make the experience very unpleasant. Also the farm and none of the campground is organic, the owner is not a certified farm and did not even know what organic or non gmo was. Also the cabins have mold on the wood ceilings and wood work. I will definitely pass on this one for our next trip. Also please go to the Cherokee Heritagr website and the county assessors web page and you will learn that this land is not in trust nor was it even Cherokee land. This is a sham playing in Native American heritage and while living. Also there is no restaurant, the laundry room and bathroom/showers were closed down, the store was a joke, we went to buy milk and they sold us rice milk that we later learned had already been opened and was out of date. The place is very run down and not up kept for the cost. The site fee is also 55 a night and 5 extra for each pet per night.

Great Campground

Very nice wooded campground on Lake Lanier, very spacious sites, many on the lake. Water and electric with a dump station. Dump station very easy to get into. Nice playground for the kids, Over the air TV worked great. Only reason for the 4 stars is our site was not level, took some work to level our rig. Also our site needed a little TLC. I did notice them updating sites. Defiantly worth a stay

One of my favorites

My wife and I hiked part of the Appalachian Trail in March 2018. The last 3 days of our 14 day trip we camped here just to get couple nights at a regular camp site. I really like this place. Next time we might stay at the squirrels nest.

Nice view

Clean ,spacious lots. Nice view of lake,but a long way down the hill to it.

A little hidden beauty

It’s been raining the whole weekend. Even so, this campground is a beautiful place. The only problems we have had: 1: buildings are not marked. It was hard to determine what was a private cabin vs bath house. 2: (this is a fellow camper issue not campground) someone with a large dog was just letting it run amuck! That is what ruins “pet friendly “ places. Lease your babies!!!
Like I said, this place is a beautiful campground. Definitely deserves a repeat visit!

Wet Weekend

Visited in February and it was a wet sloppy weekend, LOVED IT ! Of course no water sports due to the weather. I saw some fishermen and I know they have paddle boats to rent. I also saw a handicap accessible fishing pavilion. At the campground I ended up with a pull through site . I love the set up of the campground. It is a winding, hilltop, one way road through the campground which adds to the privacy of the sites. There are double sites to pick from and a nice handicap site next to the showerhouse. At the far end there is a playground and one site right behind it. So be careful not to pick it if you don’t want to listen to the raucous noises of children. There are a couple of trails to pick from, two circle the lakes. One connects to the Pinhoute (don’t ask me to pronounce it)and there’s a trail to the Marble mine. The cabins don’t allow pets , they are nice structures with full amenities and decks. The pioneer structures would be cool for a group event. I did not hike to the primitive campsites. Rain, mud and mess aside we had a good time.

Great camp sites

The camp sites are big and really enjoyed the campground.

A.ways stay here

Great management. Close to town. Security is great. Everything you need for a camp ground.

Love it!!

We stayed a little over 2 months here. It was myself(female 48),my boyfriend (48), our friend and my bfs co worker (male 50), and our 100 lb pitbull (4) The place is beautiful. The people are friendly and their pet policy is very lenient. The bath houses were clean. I would recommend this place and I would definitely camp here again.

September Camper

I've been here twice and enjoyed both my stays. The bathrooms are clean. The sites are clean. The hosts are very friendly. It's quiet during the week. On the weekends it can be a little noisy but not a bad noisy. Mainly kids squealing laughing and just being kids. I would definitely recommend camping here.

Rolling Hills of History

Large, well maintained sites. We stayed on 17 and it was very private. We hiked from the campground to Lake Buncombe and also hiked from Sunset Drive trail to Lake Liberty and the office. Equestrian trails are closed to hiking during the weekend. Equestrian campground has a new stable and bathhouse and a campground that is under construction now. The old equestrian campground and stable are still there. The cabins on Federal Lake just reopened after getting new flooring. All of the rangers were friendly and helpful. We did the A. H. Stephens museum tour and that was very nicely done. We did a day trip to Greensboro and walked the shops and went to Oconee Brewery. Everyone was raving about Yesterday Cafe so on our next visit Lucy May have to stay back at the camper. We will definitely return in warmer weather for canoeing and a trip to Warrenton which is close by.

Only RV

No tents just for RV

Backcountry #5

Our absolute favorite spot is #3 but we were very happy with #5! They went to an online specific reservation system now so no more guessing which spot you'll fight for. A long side trail off the main loop, you'll get some mountain views between the winter trees and climb up to what feels like the top of the mountain. Very private. There's a nice flat spot for the tent and plenty of running space for the pup to play fetch. The picnic table is right next to the fire pit which was nice and I was able to hang my hammock up on the other side! The only downside is your water source is down at the main loop so you'll want to get that on your way in or out.

There's a little trail that leads to the park border and private property I assume.

Falls and hiking

We stayed a week here. Campground was clean, friendly, hot showers. Sites were roomy but no barriers between sites. We camped in January so not a lot of people. Dog friendly and several trails to hike. Falls were a great site to see. We did not really leave Park area but really enjoyed our stay and the people we met.

Great campground!

Nice roomy sites with plenty of space between. Picnic tables, grills and fire rings at each campsite. Bathrooms aren’t bad. Friendly caretakers. Pets allowed. Playground and beaches. Fish cleaning station. Boat ramp. Dump station.

Unique

The canyon is beautiful. However the campsites are in a completely different section of the park. The trail out to the sites is longer than we planned for but we made it work. Unfortunately, you don't go thru or see the canyon on the way to the sites. We checked it out after we hiked out. We did stay at the one site that had a shelter that some boyscouts built. It was very nice!

Great place

Great place

Nice

Well maintained

Large full-hookup RV sites with a few tent sites and several rental cabins.

This is the most well kept campground you will ever find! Very friendly and helpful staff will bend over backwards to help with any issue you may have. Store, game room, playground, mini golf, pool, basketball court, fishing, shuffleboard, and large event building. Something for everyone to enjoy!

Site #15 on the hill is great.

It’s a small campground with very large camping sites and well placed through the area. All sites were really nice and most had separate area for an extra tent and trailer and eating area with fire pit and grill. Well maintained. We had woods directly across from us and no one around us. Bathroom facilities very clean, well kept with lots of light, heat and hot showers. Plenty of activities with hiking trails, 2 lakes for fishing, kayaking and paddle boats. Recommend the Marble Quarry hike. Falls were flowing great due to all the rain we had before. Trails around the lakes are nice and easy accessible. Loved the place and the people at the office were great and knowledgeable.

Top of the Hill

If you love twisty roads and beautiful views This is the place. We went in December and the weather was a little cool and damp but the views were great when the fog lifted. They're great scenic hikes in the park. Bathrooms were clean with very hot water

Great place, very scenic..

With great views of Stone Mountain, close to hiking and activities, and right on the lake, this campground is very nice. It has plenty of amenities and a friendly staff. Where it falls short is at some of the sites. The fire ring and grill at our site (410, loop O) were not placed well; we never used them. Grill was right by the road, and the ring was too far forward. Both items would be better placed at the back of the site. It was quite a walk to get to the restroom. But, the shower and restroom were always clean. They have a laundry as well; very convenient overall. We enjoyed our stay and will certainly be back.

Family trip...

Really enjoyed camping here with my family. Took our 19, 11, and 4 year old. Tested the trails and enjoyed plenty of scenic views. Will definitely be going back.

We had a nice stay in our tent. This campground is perfect for riding bikes and getting to the ocean quickly.

nice quiet state park

nice new state park along the Chatahoochee River. walk in sites along the river are nice and quiet. 2 campground loops can get full on weekends in season but a pretty quiet place usually. they have just built cabins this year.

In the north Georgia Mountains, land of Many Falls

Unicoi State Park is a large Park in north Georgia. The Park has a Lake, rope courses, a restaurant, lounge and beautiful Lodge. It's 2 miles from Helen Georgia, an Alpine gem nestled in the mountains.

Hiking trails of all levels abound including many with falls destinations.

Wooded Serenity

Large well maintained campground. All sites are large, well maintained and site specific. Many have full hook ups. New family style bath house and an older bathhouse, both were very clean. Nice walking trails, plenty of playgrounds and very nice boat ramp and mini golf. We stayed on site 39 with a full hook up, small view to the river out back. Very private and large site with direct access to trail along the water. Site 11 has very nice water views but does not have a full hookup. Close to historic St. Marys and ferry to Cumberland Island and about a 45 minute drive to Fernandina Beach and Amelia Island for a nice day trip.