THE BEST CAMPING IN
Georgia
Camping Georgia

With 63 state parks and historic sites, from the Appalachian Mountains to the Atlantic sea islands, more and more adventurers are picking Georgia for their outdoor expeditions. Anchored by the mass metropolis of Atlanta on the north end, and graced by the Southern charm of Savannah in the south, Georgia offers plenty of adventure in between, with some of the highest peaks, prettiest waterfalls, and the best shelling in the South. Grab your tent, your best broken-in boots, or the car-camping accoutrements – camping in Georgia is waiting for you!

The Chattahoochee Forest is a popular camping destination, but it can be hard to escape the hustle and bustle, especially at the Chattooga and Blue Ridge recreation areas. Luckily Three Forks Campground at the Appalachian Trail offers an escape from the hubbub of more popular sites. Enjoy multiple waterfalls, trout streams, and gnarled trees, all in an old-growth forest. There’s also access to several trails – the perfect home base to get some serious day hiking done.

Enamored by all of your options for camping in Georgia? We are too! With its stunning biodiversity (home to the greatest concentration of salamander species in the world), lush forests, and verdant bottomlands, it’s well-worth a trip. For a great taste of the beauty, try the Bear Creek Trail, with its adjacent campground. Winding through a beautiful stream valley, this trek takes you past the second-largest tree in Georgia, burbling waterfalls, and plenty of wildflowers for your 5.7 mile round-trip hike.

But if you’re looking for something different than the Chattahoochee area, check out the Silver Comet Trail, a short jaunt north of Atlanta – perfect for weekend warriors eager to get out into nature. Free and paved, at just over 61 miles long, the Silver Comet trail is built on abandoned rail lines. The path winds through residential areas and forests alike, where you’ll find everything from tunnels to trestles, bike rental shops to wheelchair access points. Find camping in Georgia along the way and get as close to the natural beauty as possible.

Whichever route you choose - mountains or flatlands, waterfalls or sea - you can be sure to find some of the best camping in Georgia off the beaten trail with The Dyrt!

Recent Reviews in Georgia
Right downtown

Nice little quiet and clean park. Full hookup with paved sites. Small shower house but clean.

Freindly staff. We plan on coming back. So much history in the town.

Camping within history

From the main entrance is a winding wooded road to the main store. There you find friendly and helpful staff, parking for vehicles and campers, a store with all your basic needs and other little goodies. Firewood and propane are also available. Inside the store they also have a mini library you can borrow from and next to that a nature area with a live snake and turtles. Our site was easy to find, level and best of all near the waters edge. The kiddos enjoyed playing putt putt, the playground and the beach area. There is also plenty of history to see, experience and learn about.

We stayed one night, wish it was more! We had a site across from the lake. Nice shady site. Our 33 foot fit with room to spare. Has full hook ups. Restrooms were clean. Definitely would stay again.

Very nice park. Very clean. Restrooms were very old, but clean. Beautiful site. Large backing with plenty of room on all sides. Camp hosts were great. Been here twice already!

Wow!

We’ve been to this campground three times already. Love it. We had a site right on the lake. Did fishing, kids went swimming! Beautiful opening your door and seeing water. Sites pretty level. Restroom was clean and good size showers. Had laundry. Had a great time!

OK

It’s old and appears to not have funds invested back into the property. Choose Creekfire just up the street if possible.

Wonderful views.

Great sites, great centralized location. Great hiking and views. Camp store is beautiful.

Words can’t describe

Wonderful place to Camp good people and beautiful views. And the creek runs thru the camp.

Great place to camp

Love camping there

Words can’t describe

Great campground with beautiful lake

Really great time at this campground. Sites are very large with plenty of room between sites. Some lake front, lake view and woods. Site 64 was huge with plenty of room for our two golden retrievers with lake view and woods. Kayaked around the area, water was nice and dogs loved swimming. It was in the high 90s so the shaded site helped. Bath houses were clean and centralized throughout the campground. Everyone was very friendly. Have a large beach area and playgrounds and picnic areas too. Great place to bike, will bring mine next time. Good hiking trails around the park.

The prefect getaway no matter the weather

This was my 2nd trip here Last year we went in May and weather was chilly and trees were still bare. This year we went in June and everything was green– trees were full and we had mostly non stop rain… that did not take way from our fun! Book Early! This place sells out quickly during months of good weather and for all holidays (Especially Thanksgiving).

The hike up was amazing and the facility is top notch. Was wonderful to not have to set up a tent in the rain we had.

Make sure when you arrive at the state park that you check in at the lower falls ranger station so the Inn knows about what time you will arrive. Check in is easy and just takes a minute. You can start your hike there and take the 400 plus steps to the upper falls and pick up trail– or you can park the lot above the falls.

We took our time and made the hike up in 4 hours– part of the trail was slick when rains were heavy. Everything was so green and beautiful. Just when you think how much further can it be you round the corner of the trail and catch a glimpse of the front porch.

We checked into our rooms we had 2 adjoining rooms for 4 of us and 1 room for our male companion. Beds/Pillows were comfortable Clean bedding and blankets, hooks for clothing and packs, there was also a stool and mirror on the wall.

Bathroom was close in the next building and walkway was covered. Bathrooms were wonderful, clean and spacious. Body wash/shampoo mounted on dispenser in showers. Towels provided.

Meals– what can I say other than the provided breakfast and dinners were AMAZING. Coffee, Tea, Lemonade, Water(hot and cold) were available nearly all day. You could purchase bagged lunches which included sandwich, The BEST "Amicalicious" everything gluten free cookie and trail mix.

Staff provides tours and evening programs. The views are amazing from the porch or the star station.

There are trails to hike around the property or you can hike the 6 miles round trip out to Springer Mountain and the start of the AT. There is a wonderful community room with books, games, cards, puzzles, guitar that you can spend your evenings entertaining yourself or each other. I have been there twice and I cannot wait to go back.

After your first visit there are opportunities to go back as a volunteer. You can inquire about these opportunities at the Len Foote front desk.

Beautiful Views - Lot's to do

When you arrive at the state park you need to go straight to the lodge to check in. There is a VERY steep climb(25%) so if you are pulling a travel trailer be prepared! This climb will test your vehicles pulling power.

There is a winding parking lot at the main entrance of the hotel to park while registering. You may want to call to verify where to park with Travel Trailer or RV while signing in.

Most of the 24 sites in the camping loop are level and stepped along the terrain. The tent pads are gravel and were smaller than our large tent– but we managed and tied off on the railings since there was no place to put stakes in. Sites are great for RV’s Campers and 4 person tents(square). Sites 23 and 23 are easy to back in large RV. For site map visit https://www.amicalolafallslodge.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Amicalola-Falls-Adventure-Lodge-GA-State-Park-Park-Map.pdf

Bathroom was older but clean and everything functioned as it should

The fun was not to be had in the campground but all over the park! There was access to the top and middle of the falls. Best place to photograph the fall is from the West Ridge Fall Access Trail and it is ADA accessible! There is a reflection pond where you can fish for stocked trout, a nice day hike to Len Foote Hike Inn, & amazing view from the lodge(and a great breakfast buffet!). Their map showed a rock climbing wall, Go Pro Park, 3D archery range, fitness trail, team building course, and Survivalist camp– we did not even get to these on our stay! There is also a gift shop at the lodge. Down near the entrance of the park is the ranger station, gift shop and the start of the approach trail to the“AT”– that takes you up the steps next to the falls and on to Springer Mountain. There are many pavilions there that can be rented for special events also.

Up near the lodge (above the falls) is the new zip line attraction! We did not have time to try it out but it looked super fun!

You will need a vehicle to get around to all these places in the park(unless you love hiking major elevation changes)

Very nice spacious pull thru sites with full hook ups and asphalt pads. Campground is reserved for active duty, National Guard, reservists, retired, 100% DAV. And DOD Civilians at Fort Benning. 2 night minimum stay

Very nice spacious pull thru sites on asphalt pads. Swimming pool, bait and tackle store

Boat launch on the Chattahoochee river. This location is owned and operated by the Ft Benning MWR  and is located just outside the gates of Ft. Benning on the Alabama side of the Chattahoochee River. 72 RV Sites w 15,30, 50A/S/CATV

Great for kids

While we only stayed overnight I could see how, with all of the amenities such as the pool and giant slide, bounce pad, mini golf, etc., this would be a good stop for families. It is right off I-95 so the road noise is ever-present but it does diminish the further back you go. There are a variety of sites offered—some are gravel with a cute patio set while others are just grass. They are all pull throughs. The sewer hookup at our site (C14) was at an angle which made it difficult to keep the hose in when emptying our tanks, so poor design there.

Nice lake

They are still recovering from hurricane Michael but most activities are up. RR's and showers are nice and clean. Be careful driving south because GPS will have you going down some dirt roads

My spirit place (but that's just me)

This location will likely get less stars from other campers. It seems like it's in the middle of nowhere up a winding dirt road but once you get there people seem to be all over the place. The flat, wooded, dispersed campsites have a little too much trash to be so far removed and the entire site centers around this behemoth of civil engineering- the large cabled swinging bridge that spans the Toccoa River.

But this will forever be my first love of North Georgia. I stumbled into this site on a winter night during a downpour on the Benton Mackeye trail. I had a trash bag for a backpack cover and had just started working at a wilderness camp for troubled youth. It was the 90s when such a thing could be done. I had just moved back to the deep south with a broken heart and the elements of southern Appalachia in winter seemed to match my internal pain. I had no idea where we were, I just knew from the group of miscreants that we had reached our destination and quickly went to work setting up my 2 pole wal-mart tent with a tarp for a rain fly. In the drowning rain, I used the last dry clothes I had to mop up the puddles inside my tent around my sleep pad. My down sleeping bag was soaked at the head and foot. I remembered an old school trick to fight off hypothermia and stripped down naked and crawled into a fetal ball in the dry center of my sleeping bag and fell asleep for the night.

The next morning the rain had stopped but the sound of rushing water felt like being rebirthed as I emerged from my tent like a wet rat to find this magical river, forest of trees, mountain laurel, a lovely waterfall and the little slice of civilization- the bridge to remind me that I was still in an earthly place. We stayed there for 4 days while the troubled kids staked out their solo sites and journaled. The sun came out during the day and dried everything out and the night campfires warmed my core. I wandered by the river like a haunted widow, checking in on my charges. Each day I became a little less broken. For me, it was a place to unthaw my heart.

I returned in 2005 with my then boyfriend now husband. This time it was by inner tube on the river. It was at dusk and we were behind schedule in reaching our car so we got out and walked the 1+ mile dirt road in the dark with no shoes or flashlight back to the highway to call for help. When my best friend was diagnosed with breast cancer she flew to Georgia to see me and I brought her here. She pressed her broken breast to the trees and we listened to the river. She is now in remission 13 years later. When I got married my bachelorette party was here and we all jumped In the river naked after dark squealing with delight at being women.

This place feels like the back country because it is up a road that, in my opinion should be driven by a 4x4. But I saw plenty of mini vans and sedans. The round rocks lining the lovely waterfall and little islands in The river make for great places to just be in the quiet; but there are almost always people there in the summer. Between boaters and fisherman and day trippers it is not as secluded as the spot seems to want to be. But it is worth a visit. Campsites are plenty. They are nice and flat and dispersed. But bring an extra trash bag and try to leave it better than you found it. The land deserves it.

Very crowded

You really camp “on top of each other” here. They squeeze in as many units as possible so it really doesn’t feel like camping. We found it noisy, dusty and rather unpleasant. We arrived about 15 minutes prior to check-in, but even though the site was empty and ready, we were kept out on the street until the exact minute of check-in, along with quite a few others. This is a rather ridiculous practice that makes check-in a long process. The park rents bikes for touring the island, which is a must, but it’s best to bring your own bikes. We rented 2 and they were wrecks; rusty, squeaky, brakes only worked part of the time. I had to return mine twice; the first couldn’t adjust the seat height as it was rusted solid, the second had the handlebars off-set, making steering very difficult, and again it was rusted and couldn’t be moved. Biking the island is a great experience. The historic areas are great, the beach trails are beautiful. Plan on a full day to see it all.

Great Family Campground

Busy during the summer months, but probably the least busiest out of the three campgrounds in the Tallulah River. Stays cool down there by the river. There’s a swimming hole and a rope to jump off a rock. Nice place in the fall to relax whenever you want to get away. The camp sites are far enough away from each other to get some privacy

Great for families!

A lot of things to do here in the park. Pool is nice! Staff is very nice! Lots are real nice. A creek runs through the campground and is wonderful to sit by. Full hookups. Wi-Fi is a bit weak in places so you are using your phone mostly. We will come back.

Pretty

Pretty campground to sit and relax at.

Fantastic

Beautiful campground with access to huge park with lots of fun things to do. Seasonal events always happening too. Fun taking the sky lift to the top of the mountain and hiking back down. Beautiful and historic place

Worst campground ever seen.

The worst designed campground I have ever seen. Tent sites converted for RV, what a joke. Sites are washed out,because of poor design. Lake side sites are negligently dangerous(no rocks and ga red clay straight down, major erosion). No wild life seen. Bathhouse is covered in mold and not stocked. Only has one dump station. Will NEVER be back to this site.

Friendly

Stayed here when we had to evacuate for a hurricane. The people were so friendly

Pretty park

They have nice big pull trough sites. Also have a fun learning center and nice hiking trails

Beautiful sites

Beautiful sites here and lots of history. We went at Halloween and they had a fun Halloween party for kids and adults at the common area everyone decorated their sites for contest prizes too.

One of our “go-tos”

We love stopping here when passing through Georgia. The campground is quiet and the sites are well-maintained.

Need to check it out again

We didn’t spend a lot of time here but we liked what we saw while here. The staff was friendly when checking in. Our site faced the small pond and was quiet.

Great hiking views!

The West Rim offered a few pull through sites with electric and water hookup as well as back in sites. We were able to walk right into the trails from the campground during the day and enjoy the lightning bug show in the evening!

A peaceful experience

This park is quiet and calm even when it’s busy. There are sites near the salt marshes that offer little to no shade and there are sites away from them that have more shade. The bathrooms are clean and nice with laundry facilities. All sites are pull through with full hook-ups for RVs/trailers. The campground has a short walking trail through the woods while there is another back at the main park. You can also launch boats and kayaks directly from the campground but beware of strong currents and winds if kayaking (be sure to get tidal charts and a map from the checkin desk if you’re adventurous enough to go exploring far). Staying at the campground offers you half price admission to the Fort and museum which is worth visiting. We saw several deer roaming around the campground as well.