Camping in Mesa del Caballo

115 Reviews of 31 Mesa del Caballo Campgrounds

H
Reviewed Jan. 22, 2022

dusty

Dusty and rude hosts keep complaining abt small things daily. We ll not be returning!

conor C.
Reviewed Dec. 6, 2021

Great camping

Clean good camping in February 2021. Lots of razrs on the trail. Took seven springs cave creek to bloody basin road into the site. Then bloody basin back to I17 on the way home. Both scenic good drives. BUMPY. kidney rockers on the way down to the water. Air down.

• Play button icon
SiteRiver spot
Month of VisitMarch
Matt
Reviewed Nov. 26, 2021

Serene

This was a peaceful place to camp. Right off the highway. You can hear some of the traffic but it wasn’t a big deal to us. The dirt roads are decently kept and wasn’t too rough of a ride. We drove off the road to find a spot to set up. There are small tree stumps to watch out for but I’d image a…

Month of VisitDecember

SiteUnkown
Alex H.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Oct. 10, 2021

Cozy Spot

Cool little place right off the highway. Road keeps going back with more and more areas to disperse camp. If you plan on going deep, definitely recommend a 4x4 as the road gets really rough.

SiteDispersed
Month of VisitNovember
Kat E.
Reviewed Sep. 21, 2021

Great Vehicle Accessibility

Do you want to get away from the city but only have a vehicle that’s is low to the ground making dirt roads challenging or sometimes impossible? This is the campsite for you. While the site is on a dirt road it has been maintained enough that my typical sedan can get to it easily and the road is…

• Dried out wild mushrooms by the camp
  • sunset view
  • sunrise by the fire
Alyssia I.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Sep. 20, 2021

Camp for one night

Really close to the road so lot of noise.

Not free.. 20$ for the night (we didn’t know)

Nice equipment (toilet, Place for fire, space for tidy up the food, table..) lot of tree to put your hammock, Close from some nice hike (Horton creek trail…)

Allie M.
Reviewed Sep. 19, 2021

Nice spot!

We car camped with our dog. The area was nice and the spots had fire rings. Maybe a little rocky for tent camping so bring a rake. The dirt road was too uneven for a sedan, would recommend some clearance. I have T-Mobile and had full bars of 5g.

Rachel N.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Sep. 8, 2021

#1 campsite

Off Rim Road this windy rocky road leads you to breath taking views! Along a mountain side there are 3-4 sites in close proximity however still kinda private. Established fire pits. Great tall trees for hammocks, flat rock base in some areas.

• site 1
Mstwister E.
Reviewed Sep. 5, 2021

Not what I was expecting.

Well I felt a bit deceived by the website… it said there was a basketball court, a dog park, and a playground but honestly they are the saddest excuses of any of those things I have ever seen. The pool is very nice, if not a bit cold and seating is limited. Bathrooms/ showers are very clean.…

Site19A
Jason M.
Reviewed Sep. 1, 2021

Good little spot close to town.

Very clean and well kept. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Good mix of "parking lot" style camping and secluded sites. Even the cheap lot camping had good space between trailers.

Katelyn R.
Reviewed Aug. 30, 2021

Great tenting spot!

Bathrooms were super clean. Host was very knowledgeable and friendly. Some spots are pretty close to the road. Great hiking trails around. Close to potato lake

S
Reviewed Aug. 17, 2021

Great stay

I would return, the ground is nice even after raining all night, wasn’t muddy

SiteRight off the dirt road
Rachel W.
Reviewed Jul. 24, 2021

Busy for a back road

We're from Phoenix so it was good to be nestled among the trees and feel the spirits of the woods. The road is difficult depending on your vehicle and narrow so you have to pull over for passing vehicles. Also work trucks were constantly going back and forth when we were there. A number of people…

Alex S.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 1, 2021

Barren empty landscape perfect for camping

As I usually do in places like this I will advise you should have an suv or truck and 4wd before even bothering with this area.

It’s remote as can be and there isn’t a single thing out here including cell service

As far as the camp site well it’s about a 40mi trek through the empty desert to…