Fires Unknown
No Showers
No Water Hookups
Tonto Creek is located in Arizona
3 Reviews of Tonto Creek
Spacious with nice parking.

To start off there is Upper Tonto Creek, Lower Tonto Creek and Tonto Creek and it is all a bit confusing. We originally had plans to go to Upper Tonto Creek but when we arrived it was full so were able to find Tonto Creek just a bit lower. I actually like Tonto Creek better as the campgrounds seem a little bit more spacious and the parking lot is huge, paved and is a dedicated space. With Upper Tonto Creek you essentially have to park on the dirt next to your tent and the campgrounds are closer together. The only real benefit is that it is a little closer to Horton Creek Trail.

As you can see in the pictures we caught some excellent skies in July 2018. All in all it is a great site but I am giving 4 stars instead of 5 because it is really close to the 260 and there is a decent amount of road noise. Expect semis and motorcycles to wake you up in the night.

Tonto Creek, Beat the heat

summer 1week camping in the pines, always have to visit the Tonto Creek Fish Hatchery as well, many gigantic 3 foot rainbow trout fishies in the feeding/storage pond, thousands of smaller rainbows seperated by size in one of the many,"Im thinking six", shaded, connected, large rectangular feeding/storage troughs. Just a cool place to stop at, stretch the legs, use the porta johns, and watch some fish! And might as well take a cool dip in the slow flowing, refreshing Tonto Creek, its a great way to beat the heat in the pine trees, relax, lounge in the water, and forget about the time!!!

Close - simple - beautiful

My son and I left Mesa around 6:00 PM - we drove up to the campsite - got there just before dark we found an open campsite - we set up our tent started a fire and the enjoyed the evening-

Having such a nice place so close was great - they also allow dogs which is important since my son has two.

The campsite is close to HWY 260 and you do hear the cars passing so if that is a problem you might want to look at going to upper tonto creek campground a couple miles on down the turn off.

The campsite is walking distance to the creek and fishing.