Anson, TEXAS

Most Recent Anson Camping Reviews
Abilene State Park + Trees + Swimming Pool + Lake (sort of)

Abilene State Park is an interesting park to visit in the middle of Texas. The park is a short drive from the City of Abilene so it receives quite a few visitors on the weekend. During the weekday, you'll find considerably more peace and quiet.

You can pick up supplies in the city and there is also a small store within the park office with some snacks and souvenirs.

The park has a nice grove of trees scattered around the open spaces and the campsites which can provide sanctuary shade from the summer sun. The campsites have clearings for tents, picnic tables, fire pits and water. There are restrooms nearby which have sinks, toilets and shower, all of which could stand some updating. There's a swimming pool which is often the main attraction of this park.

When I was planning a visit to the park I thought that it would be nice to be right on the shores of Lake Abilene. However, I discovered that the main park area and campsites are in one area and the access point to the lake is in another area. You actually need to drive outside of the park, down the road and enter into another part of the park. There's a dirt road to access the lakefront and once you are at the lakefront there is a little beach. I guess that this is one reason why so many people appear to prefer hanging out at the swimming pool.

The arrangement of the facilities is a little strange and many of the facilities could use an update. For this reason I only rate this park 3 out of 5.

Love this park in the fall!

It is a state park but don’t let that stop you from checking it out. Lots of hiking and bike trails. Swimming pool is open in the summer. You can fish in the lake across the road or in the small pond at the park.

Close to town

We stayed here many years ago for a reunion close by, the owner/park host was not a rule bender at all and was strict. We stayed in cabins and had a good time while we were there.

Well-run, lots of shade, sites close together

This is a nice park, but the sites are pretty close together.

little getaway

I used to go here a ton when I went to school in Abilene at Hardin-Simmons. It was not too far of a drive from the campus, and I even took class trips out here for our botany class. Campgrounds are decent (I have heard they have been much improved since I've been there). My times here were always fun little getaways from college life that provided me with a good time to unwind and relax. Trees aren't too tall for providing shade, and there are tons of mesquite trees, so watch out for thorns while you're walking.

Nice improved cg

Lots of spaces both with and without hookups. All sites have water. Plenty of trees for hammocks. Free showers, hiking trails, fishing at the lake across the road. Pool available as well.

Trees

The trees were so beautiful. A very small park but great for fishing. There is a wonderfully stocked pond and a lake where you can rent canoes. There was also a pool and a cool old water tower. There were numerous historical landmarks as the park was put together by the CCC.

Small park, but awesome !

For being a small state park it offers a lot of nice camping sights, for RVs and tents alike. There’s creeks running through the park aswell as a small fishing pond with crystal clear water. Nice easy hiking trails, and a bird blind. Just a nice getaway from civilization. We go there very often just to be outside and breath fresh air. And if you camp there, make sure to look up at night, what a view!

Nice wooded campground

Nice wooded campsites, bathhouses were nice and clean.Close to Abilene(15 miles).

Awesome!!!!

Two words -

NIGHT. SKY.

It was so incredibly beautiful, peaceful and quiet that we didn't want to leave. But we had to.

We were very late, but everything was set up for us when we arrived. It was easy to find our site, and set up. Morning was so refreshing!