Avon, SOUTH DAKOTA
Most Recent Avon Camping Reviews
Nice clean campsites

Spent a weekend here. The campsites are nice and clean, and the bathrooms are the cleanest bathrooms I have ever seen at a campground! The campground was quiet and peaceful. Great showers and views of the river. Just a 5 minute driving to the damn and a swimming area… In front of the campsites is the river (this is riverfront camping, and behind is a little wooded area that helps you feel a little more secluded. Will be returning.

Nice clean campsites

Lake Francis Case and North Point Recreation Area

We found this place to be quiet and peaceful. It has been dealing this year with high water and water damage to campsites and trails but the facilities are nice. The staff was helpful and courteous and we enjoyed our stay (4 days and 3 nights). We pleasure boated but fishing is a big deal here and the area is not commercialized. The water was mostly calm and warm. The boat docks were in good shape and easy to access. There are bike/walking trails but not very long. Pickstown SD is right next door and offers limited commercial establishments because it is 225 population. Nice beaches here but some were impacted by high water. The Fort Randall Hotel and Casino is close by for some food and entertainment.

Great place on Lake Yankton

This is actually on Lake Yankton not Lewis and Clark Lake but it is a nice peaceful place with nice grass, benches and parks, the lake has good fishing for all species would recommend going has nice bathrooms as well as good bike trails

Really nice area by water

Nice area with park for children with good water accessible

Great area

Really fun campground with parks for kids and nice green grass with tons of sports offerd

Good

Its a first come first serve/ same day reservation

Real close to water

Could see water from everywhere on site was nice and clean and very grassy

Really clean

Had nice open spots very spacies

Had a great time

Was nice and clean with friendly rangers

Peaceful, well maintained campground

Campers were mostly in RVs, I was in a tent and not surrounded by many others. Bathrooms and showers were very clean and well maintained and the owner was nice and gave us tips on things to do in the rest of South Dakota!

Peaceful, well maintained campground

Great camping

Large sites, shady and quiet.

Large sites and bike trails, also quiet.

Large sites with bike trails right on lake.

Power and water next to the swimming pool- free for 3 days!

This park is right of Highway 30 and if you are passing through and want power and water for a few days this should be your stop. unlike other city parks, this one has a burn pit.

I would assume that campers would have use of the shower facility at the pool, but if not, you could just spend a few bucks and swim all day and shower at the end.

Grocery store downtown had great steak prices and good price on ice.

USACE camping just below Lewis and Clark Lake

Army Corps Campground with all the bells and whistles. It was closed when we went, but we will return. The interpretive center was very informative and Lewis and Clark Lake is huge with nice beaches and great fishing.

The ranger said that electric sites in season were only $16. That is less than the state parks at the lake. Yankton is nice but don't miss the Nebraska tribal museums.

Great overnight stop

People are super nice. Easy access. Plenty of room. Very clean. Well shaded but they parked us perfectly so we could get Direct signal. Pool was out of service & mini golf was old. But we needed a site to sleep. Stayed three nights and toured the area.

Beautiful But Without Water in the Off Season

Electric sites by the highway near the park entrance, but don't overlook the 4 RV sites by the fishing pond. Cabins, primitive camping, hiking, and lovely scenery.

Campsite #43 is the only site with what I would call a view, but the view from there is excellent. The hiking was great. The area is pretty cool with Native American exhibits, the casino, and Lewis and Clark Lake nearby.

Though we loved the scenery and wanted to stay, the park had shut off all the water. We expected the $15 off-season price since there were no longer horse rides, pool or other activities but there were no showers or restrooms in the RV site. No water to wash dishes in!

The regular season is $20 a night but they are discussing raising that. Don't bother with the off-season.

Also, see my reviews of Crofton and Verdigre. Camping there is not as nice but they are close and more affordable.

Beautiful area to explore

This campground features cabins and tent camping. Designed for families, there is a playground and lots of open space for the kids to run around. Pets are welcome. There is a small pond stocked for fishing right in the middle of the tent camping area. Take a short hike to see where the Niobrara river dumps into the Missouri and take in some of the best views in Nebraska. In the winter months, hunters often use the cabins as home base and hunt in the surrounding woods.

Nowhere with a river

Not to be mistaken as Fort Niobrara, Niobrara State Park , NE is near Niobrara and Verdel, NE. The popular Niobrara River runs along the far side of the park and one of the attractions is the old train bridge which is now part of the converted trail that you can explore.

When we arrived the 80 degree temperatures from Kentucky did not arrive with us. The weather was windy, sprinkling and dropping with the sun. The night time low was about 43 degrees. I learned on another trip to pack all temperature range clothing especially this time of year, so I had my sniffle gear. We were one of three occupied sites in the campground. The other two sites had RV’s , I decided on truck camping and was glad I did.

The actual campground is spacious and had some trees. The showerhouse was well maintained and something new to me had pay showers. I hadn’t packed any quarters but have now added another helpful tidbit to my list of must haves while camping. (Roll of quarters, check) I attempted to leave my windows open after throwing a tarp over the truck but even though the temperature was low the mosquitoes were FIERCE! I don’t even want to know how bad they are in warm weather. So with the truck closed up we snuggled in for the night. I was a little surprised when I was woken by my dogs barking at coyotes that could be heard very nearby. Considering how sparsely populated the area is it shouldn’t have been that surprising, you really feel like your out in the middle of nowhere. Just shows how Northern I am ;) I was disappointed it was overcast , the sky would have been phenomenal with no lights to ruin the view.

This Park is laid out in a “horseshoe” and speed restrictions make it a long drive from end to end. The visitors center has some helpful employees that were very informative. Not surprisingly the river is the big draw in the area. The Ranger I spoke to said that there was a reinactment of the Lewis and Clark expedition due in that weekend. I was directed to the trailhead further in past the several cabins sitting in opportune locations along the road. The trail was moderately technical and you get to walk across the Niobrara on an old train bridge converted to a walkway. Unfortunately the far side was closed. There is also a horse trail ride offered (which would have been interesting with the boys).

The one con of the campground is that though you have an excellent view of the Niobrara River there is no easy access to it from the sites. Definitely a destination campground if you enjoy the river sports.

Look for it

Pease Creek Recreation Area is off the Missouri River out in the middle of nowhere but if you are a water/fishing person it is worth the drive for a quiet, laid back vacation.

South Dakota has some long straight roads and the GPS worked most of the time as well as cell phone signal. It would on occasion drop off so make sure you have your trusty map. The signage in was good and don’t be surprised when you hit gravel roads, just slow down ;)

The campground was pretty quiet and mostly deserted when we overnighted. It was dark, quiet and plenty of sites to choose from. Basic hook up, plenty of space to set up in, more of an RV geared campground. The area was well maintained but facilities could use an update/good cleaning.

Right outside the area is a privately owned campground that looked like it was expanding so that will add to the boatramp traffic and noise. It was more of a permanent RV area but may have short term rentals.

There was hiking to be had and horses were allowed but it’s definitely a water recreation area. Due to the weather , 40’s when we visited and raining we did not get to enjoy the water like I had wanted. Town is not nearby so fuel up and stock up before driving out!

Nice spot on way to Black Hills

Stayed at Mitchell KOA in our way to the Black Hills. Large, level sites. Pool and mini golf. I didn’t see it, but my wife and granddaughter said the shower on the women’s side was FANTASTIC! Nice dog run. And the Corn Palace!

Stopped at Mitchell KOA again this year when we had car problems on I-90. Spent 3 days stuck at the campground. Lucky they have nice shady sites, lots of room and a friendly staff. Unfortunately, they no longer have the nice shower my wife liked!

Color me surprised;)

More then once as a Dyrt Ranger I have searched in vain for a campsite listed on a map. I was completely surprised when I found the Tyndall City Park AND it had places to camp!

When you first drive to the park it looks like your typical city park, nice fishing pond for the kids , cemented walking path, ballfields, disc golf, etc. But then down at the very end next to the ballfields are electric hookups and parking for RVs! Mind you this is no luxury campground, it’s the basics. On further exploration of the immediate area I came to the conclusion that this site is probably mostly used by visiting participants in 4H. There is a 4H complex across the street from the hookups.

The park is located off the local neighborhood and quiet. There is no shade at the RV sites. No picnic tables or fire rings on the cement lot where the electric boxes are located. This is definitely an event oriented “campground” or overnight/visiting relatives pit stop. There is an honor box and small latrine near the sites. No privacy if it’s busy but we were totally alone and saw few people when we visited.

The dogs enjoyed the walk around the fishing pond and it was a very relaxed atmosphere, at least to me. I did not attempt to start a fire, no one to ask if I could and no fire rings. There was a grass area by the camp sites with picnic tables and shade, you could easily put a tent/hammock in that area but I don’t know if it’s permitted.

Overall a useful area, in town, near shopping and fuel but not a vacation destination in my opinion.

Great place

The staff are all so friendly and the campground is well kept! Beautiful hiking trails with a nice view!

nice friendly site

We did a one night stop and got a nice long pull through so no need to unhook the car and trailer. very dog friendly with a nice dog park area. surrounded by fields manager was very nice

Great

It is a really great place to hangout and enjoy the outdoors with a picnic or fishing for the family

Fun filled

So many happy campers it is like a big family! Seasonal camper landing starts at $1500 for a full year spot. There is a family area and a swimming area with a park for the kids.

Great

Great campground with caring staff. Run by the Corps of Engineers. Well-maintained and great prices. No water or sewer at the campsite, but they are close-by.

Excellent views

Booking is online. There are three lakes/rivers all within 5 miles of each other. Make sure to visit the dam!

Scenic Seclusion

Beautiful views of the Missouri and Niobrara atop hervily wooded hills. Tent sites are either along the paved 1 way road or farther back in the trees of the hills via a short trail. Vault toilets are plentiful as well as water spigots. Has several nice trails and points of interest. Was very clean theoughout and well cared for. Also offers cabins and an RV campground.