the dyrt
Avon, SOUTH DAKOTA
Most Recent Avon Camping Reviews
Power and water next to the swimming pool- free for 3 days!

This park is right of Highway 30 and if you are passing through and want power and water for a few days this should be your stop. unlike other city parks, this one has a burn pit.

I would assume that campers would have use of the shower facility at the pool, but if not, you could just spend a few bucks and swim all day and shower at the end.

Grocery store downtown had great steak prices and good price on ice.

USACE camping just below Lewis and Clark Lake

Army Corps Campground with all the bells and whistles. It was closed when we went, but we will return. The interpretive center was very informative and Lewis and Clark Lake is huge with nice beaches and great fishing.

The ranger said that electric sites in season were only $16. That is less than the state parks at the lake. Yankton is nice but don't miss the Nebraska tribal museums.

Great overnight stop

People are super nice. Easy access. Plenty of room. Very clean. Well shaded but they parked us perfectly so we could get Direct signal. Pool was out of service & mini golf was old. But we needed a site to sleep. Stayed three nights and toured the area.

Beautiful But Without Water in the Off Season

Electric sites by the highway near the park entrance, but don't overlook the 4 RV sites by the fishing pond. Cabins, primitive camping, hiking, and lovely scenery.

Campsite #43 is the only site with what I would call a view, but the view from there is excellent. The hiking was great. The area is pretty cool with Native American exhibits, the casino, and Lewis and Clark Lake nearby.

Though we loved the scenery and wanted to stay, the park had shut off all the water. We expected the $15 off-season price since there were no longer horse rides, pool or other activities but there were no showers or restrooms in the RV site. No water to wash dishes in!

The regular season is $20 a night but they are discussing raising that. Don't bother with the off-season.

Also, see my reviews of Crofton and Verdigre. Camping there is not as nice but they are close and more affordable.

Beautiful area to explore

This campground features cabins and tent camping. Designed for families, there is a playground and lots of open space for the kids to run around. Pets are welcome. There is a small pond stocked for fishing right in the middle of the tent camping area. Take a short hike to see where the Niobrara river dumps into the Missouri and take in some of the best views in Nebraska. In the winter months, hunters often use the cabins as home base and hunt in the surrounding woods.

Nowhere with a river

Not to be mistaken as Fort Niobrara, Niobrara State Park , NE is near Niobrara and Verdel, NE. The popular Niobrara River runs along the far side of the park and one of the attractions is the old train bridge which is now part of the converted trail that you can explore.

When we arrived the 80 degree temperatures from Kentucky did not arrive with us. The weather was windy, sprinkling and dropping with the sun. The night time low was about 43 degrees. I learned on another trip to pack all temperature range clothing especially this time of year, so I had my sniffle gear. We were one of three occupied sites in the campground. The other two sites had RV’s , I decided on truck camping and was glad I did.

The actual campground is spacious and had some trees. The showerhouse was well maintained and something new to me had pay showers. I hadn’t packed any quarters but have now added another helpful tidbit to my list of must haves while camping. (Roll of quarters, check) I attempted to leave my windows open after throwing a tarp over the truck but even though the temperature was low the mosquitoes were FIERCE! I don’t even want to know how bad they are in warm weather. So with the truck closed up we snuggled in for the night. I was a little surprised when I was woken by my dogs barking at coyotes that could be heard very nearby. Considering how sparsely populated the area is it shouldn’t have been that surprising, you really feel like your out in the middle of nowhere. Just shows how Northern I am ;) I was disappointed it was overcast , the sky would have been phenomenal with no lights to ruin the view.

This Park is laid out in a “horseshoe” and speed restrictions make it a long drive from end to end. The visitors center has some helpful employees that were very informative. Not surprisingly the river is the big draw in the area. The Ranger I spoke to said that there was a reinactment of the Lewis and Clark expedition due in that weekend. I was directed to the trailhead further in past the several cabins sitting in opportune locations along the road. The trail was moderately technical and you get to walk across the Niobrara on an old train bridge converted to a walkway. Unfortunately the far side was closed. There is also a horse trail ride offered (which would have been interesting with the boys).

The one con of the campground is that though you have an excellent view of the Niobrara River there is no easy access to it from the sites. Definitely a destination campground if you enjoy the river sports.

Look for it

Pease Creek Recreation Area is off the Missouri River out in the middle of nowhere but if you are a water/fishing person it is worth the drive for a quiet, laid back vacation.

South Dakota has some long straight roads and the GPS worked most of the time as well as cell phone signal. It would on occasion drop off so make sure you have your trusty map. The signage in was good and don’t be surprised when you hit gravel roads, just slow down ;)

The campground was pretty quiet and mostly deserted when we overnighted. It was dark, quiet and plenty of sites to choose from. Basic hook up, plenty of space to set up in, more of an RV geared campground. The area was well maintained but facilities could use an update/good cleaning.

Right outside the area is a privately owned campground that looked like it was expanding so that will add to the boatramp traffic and noise. It was more of a permanent RV area but may have short term rentals.

There was hiking to be had and horses were allowed but it’s definitely a water recreation area. Due to the weather , 40’s when we visited and raining we did not get to enjoy the water like I had wanted. Town is not nearby so fuel up and stock up before driving out!

Nice spot on way to Black Hills

Stayed at Mitchell KOA in our way to the Black Hills. Large, level sites. Pool and mini golf. Nice dog run. And the Corn Palace!

Color me surprised;)

More then once as a Dyrt Ranger I have searched in vain for a campsite listed on a map. I was completely surprised when I found the Tyndall City Park AND it had places to camp!

When you first drive to the park it looks like your typical city park, nice fishing pond for the kids , cemented walking path, ballfields, disc golf, etc. But then down at the very end next to the ballfields are electric hookups and parking for RVs! Mind you this is no luxury campground, it’s the basics. On further exploration of the immediate area I came to the conclusion that this site is probably mostly used by visiting participants in 4H. There is a 4H complex across the street from the hookups.

The park is located off the local neighborhood and quiet. There is no shade at the RV sites. No picnic tables or fire rings on the cement lot where the electric boxes are located. This is definitely an event oriented “campground” or overnight/visiting relatives pit stop. There is an honor box and small latrine near the sites. No privacy if it’s busy but we were totally alone and saw few people when we visited.

The dogs enjoyed the walk around the fishing pond and it was a very relaxed atmosphere, at least to me. I did not attempt to start a fire, no one to ask if I could and no fire rings. There was a grass area by the camp sites with picnic tables and shade, you could easily put a tent/hammock in that area but I don’t know if it’s permitted.

Overall a useful area, in town, near shopping and fuel but not a vacation destination in my opinion.

Great place

The staff are all so friendly and the campground is well kept! Beautiful hiking trails with a nice view!

nice friendly site

We did a one night stop and got a nice long pull through so no need to unhook the car and trailer. very dog friendly with a nice dog park area. surrounded by fields manager was very nice

Great

It is a really great place to hangout and enjoy the outdoors with a picnic or fishing for the family

Fun filled

So many happy campers it is like a big family! Seasonal camper landing starts at $1500 for a full year spot. There is a family area and a swimming area with a park for the kids.

Great

Great campground with caring staff. Run by the Corps of Engineers. Well-maintained and great prices. No water or sewer at the campsite, but they are close-by.

Excellent views

Booking is online. There are three lakes/rivers all within 5 miles of each other. Make sure to visit the dam!

Scenic Seclusion

Beautiful views of the Missouri and Niobrara atop hervily wooded hills. Tent sites are either along the paved 1 way road or farther back in the trees of the hills via a short trail. Vault toilets are plentiful as well as water spigots. Has several nice trails and points of interest. Was very clean theoughout and well cared for. Also offers cabins and an RV campground.

Awesome

Stayed at campsite through Sharps Outfitters and kayaked as well. Awesome trip very pretty!!

Nice small campground

Very nice small campground. Very clean. Must have reservations to stay. Weekends are typically booked during the summer but during the week can usually have any spot. The site is divided up into 2 areas about 10 sites in each area. Sites 1thru 11 are on the river. Sites 12 thru 20 are not. No beach at campground.

City park next to rodeo.

City Park. Very clean and sites are level. Clean showers and restroom. Stay up to 3 days without checking in to the city offices. Donation but they do charge $10 per nite if the stay is over 3 days. Train is close and goes by often.

Beautiful scenery, plenty of activities and history!

We stayed in our camper on the RV campground. I like that the RV's are not so close together! It qlwas quiet, scenic, lots of things to do. People genuinely seem to enjoy themselves. Lots of animal sightings, birds, and wild flowers, etc. You can get a real feel for the country out here. The ONLY drawback is needing quarters for a shower….but they do have a change machine.

Look out for Camp Squatters

We ended up at the Trailwater site because of a overbooking at lewis and clark. The afternoon was pleasant but as soon as it started to get dark all of the camp squatters started to arrive. First, about 9:30 PM, a group with several small children arrived and they were running all over the place crying screaming. The adults didn't seam to care and for some reason kept locking their car repeatedly. Beep, Beep, honk!This continued until about midnight when the children passed out. Then at 1:15 AM a large group with about 15 adults, several children, 2 dogs, 6 trucks and a boat arrived. They proceeded to set up their 6 tends even right next to ours and in front of our fire ring as if they were sharing it with us. They were loud and intoxicated. The yelling and commotion continued. They were carrying on as if it were the middle of the day. At 3:15 AM I asked if they could quite it down. I was met with hostility and and was told that they did not give a F@%*. Then they proceeded to mock and insult us in spanish. We felt very intimidated and scared for our safety. Needless to say we packed up our camp all wile being jeered and insulted and drive 2.5 hrs back home. DONT TENT CAMP HERE. We will never stay at this campground again.

Lots of entertainment available

Lots of campsites with lake views, swimming beaches and bike trails as well as water equipment rental in the area.

So fun

Great campground with lots of shade trees and plenty of space between spots! Great fishing and swimming too!

very fun!

camped here a lot growing up, always had a good time. great area close to town but quiet by the river.

Its a beautiful site even to those of us that see it everyday

Quiet Nd Beautiful

Its a great place to go with friends. Theres not a lot of noise after dark. Enjoy views of the lake

beautiful and scenic

must go back! so much history in the fort part of the park, swell kept campsites down river and lots of hiking!

Small and Peaceful

This campground sits about 100 yards from the Gavins Point Dam and right next to Lake Yankton. Campers are close to gas stations, mini golf, rental facilities, and restaurants. The campground contains a disc golf course, playground and restrooms. The campground is named for the large amount of cottonwood trees, so be prepared to get cotton all over.

Beautiful beaches with bike trail along the lake

This beautiful campground has a bike trail that connects all the beaches. It has hiking trails, parks, and a georgous lake for swimming or boating. The sites are electric only and sites get booked fast. If it is during peak season, you want to reserve a site 90 days in advance. We have been to this campground many times and it is one of our faves.

Lewis and Clark So. Dak. State Park.

Great campground. Well maintained with a great marina and lake access points. Adequate amenities. One of South Dakota's many great state parks.