the dyrt
Berlin, PENNSYLVANIA
Most Recent Berlin Camping Reviews
Pretty spots to camp with lots of room

Nice campground and very easy to find spots along the property to camp. Owner was very friendly and made it easy to book some nights on short notice. Good campground to do your thing and not be bothered.

Clean and Friendly place

Can be crowded during summer times but always clean and well maintained. Everybody is very friendly and great place to fish with young children.

Awesome kid friendly campground!!

Got a nice secluded spot to camp in the wooded area that had a amazing mountain views and the star gazing platform. Kids had a great time and lots of activities for them to do!

Beautiful!

I have lived in Maryland my whole life and just recently experienced the beauty of New Germany State Park. The park is full of very tall pine trees. The campground is well maintained and the Rangers were very friendly. The sites are well maintained although some are close together with not a lot of privacy thus the 4 star rating. I stayed at site 28 which was backed by a large wooded area. It was however a hike to the bathhouse. The bathhouse was fine, clean enough but could have used a bit of an update. I did not use the shower so I can't tell you what it was like. The weather was crazy the one night I stayed! Thunderstorms turned to ice turned to snow which made the area even more beautiful!

Must See Sunsets

This is the largest state forest in West Virginia, it has a total of 25 sites that vary in their privacy. Each site has electrical hookups, picnic tables, fire grates, and utility post. The sites in the middle of the loop lack privacy that the outer loop sites have. There is one bath house that has hot showers, flush toilets, water spigots, and now WIFI. Pets are allowed but must be kept on a leash. There are gravel pull-ins for the sites, there are a couple of pull through sites for RVs.

The campground gets busy during the fall because it is so close to Morgantown and Mountaineer games. There are lots of hiking trails, coopers rock is definitely a must to see during sunset. Ravens rock is also a beautiful look out trail. Rock climbers have a lot of rock outcroppings on short trails for climbers to utilize. Fishing, biking, and hunting are also popular activities that can be done here.

Nice, but worn campground

This is an older campground that has not had sufficient maintenance in recent years. Several examples include: 1) restrooms don't work, 2) roads need more gravel, 3) drainage is poor, etc. On wet days, I have slipped and slid going to and coming from the campsite, and in the campsite. Because restrooms don't work, there is a hike or car ride to one that does work. The campground staff are nice folks who are helpful. Unfortunately, they do not do a late evening tour of the campground to quiet the groups who are in full party mode from their nearby whitewater raft trip.

Huge Campground with great beaches

The water in both lakes I visited were crystal clear! I liked that the campsites were not on top of one another but I think because this is such a nice campground it is also a popular campground. It was very busy and very noisy. Most definitely more of a family campground than a “back-to-nature” campground. It serve my purpose as a place to sleep for the night and I would visit again with my younger family because of all the activities, especially golfing, kayaking, and Casino, available but the naturalist in me would not appreciate as a getaway.

Friendly and personable!

I was traveling alone and was looking for something about an hour away when I used my Dyrt app to locate a recommended campground. Benner’s popped up near Ohiopyle State Park. I spoke with Mary Lou on the phone to make my reservations and she informed me she would be leaving at 5pm. Well, my GPS said I wasn’t due to arrive until 5:10 and, of course, there were delays. When I got there, well after 5pm, Mary Lou was waiting for me! I apparently was the only tent camper but still, she made sure I had everything I needed for my one might stay, and set me up close to the bathhouse. They were older but clean and well maintained as was the whole campground. They had a variety of cabins, some open year-round. Since it was off season the pool was closed but that just made want to come back in the summer. There also was a putt-putt course and a star-gazing point/trail. Looks like there were also rustic campsites but I would call to be sure if that is your preference. This is mainly an RV Park but plenty of tent with electric and water sites. Plenty of wildlife!!!! As I already mentioned, it’s close to the state park as well as Falling Waters, a Casino, and a great coffee shop.

We LOVED Camping Here

We had a blast camping here and we went when it was 15 degrees out. So, we were a little hesitant at first but we had a lot of fun. Bring your bikes if you have them. It's a lot of fun to bike around and to bike into the little town. I recommend going when the leaves are changing!

There are better places

Stayed here one night. They charge per site, not per person. So depending on how many people you have, it is sometimes cheaper. The sites aren't that well taken care of and theres garbage in the firepits often.

Great camground

This place is wise open and there is room everywhere. It is on the banks of the Cheat River, so if you plan to whitewater kayak the cheat canyon, you're camped right at the put in.

Great little campground

Right on the bank of the the Muddy river and a short 2 minute walk to the Cheat River. This is also right next to the Cheat River Festival grounds. The sites are all super open, so if you want privacy, this isn't the place for you, but except during festival weekends, there won't be a lot of people around. The bathrooms are super clean and always restocked with toilet paper, soap and hand towels. There is fresh water on the side of the bathroom building. Spotty at best cell phone service, so check your email before getting there. This campground is also where most whitewater kayakers kayaking the Cheat Canyon stay.

Sardines camping

If you like camping right next to another group and being packed in like sardines, this is the place for you! You'll be about 15 feet away from the group next to you. They do have quiet hours though, so if you want super quiet camping…you'll like it here. Because it is also a PA state park….you can't legally drink alcohol here. But if you put it in a different container and don't make a lot of noise….nobody seems to bother you. The bathrooms are clean, but you have to drive to them if you want to use the bathrooms before it starts running down your leg….the walk is far.

You can pretty much do anything you want here....within reason

If you want to have a big party, this is the place to do it. Call in advance and reserve one of the sites that is up the hill farther away from people. They also have 2 shelters (1 small/1 big) that both have electricity, but bring an extension cord and a socket with a plug to screw into a lightbulb socket. Some of the sites are more primitive than others. If you're the type of person that wants everything prim and proper this is not the place for you. Their bathrooms are a little worse than wear….but they do have toilet paper and running water, so that's better than most places. They have private showers too, but I'd recommend wearing sandals in there. The camp store they have in the main building doesn't have much…but they do have candy and stuff for smores. You can also get wood there, either by a small load or by the truck bed size. They'll deliver it to your site if you want. They take Credit Cards too.

Great for families

Great for families to get away. Quiet and scenic, great trails. Close to lake and fishing

Very convenient to freeway, near casino!

The drive to Rocky Gap is really relaxing, and a good view of the casino from across the water. There is also lots of space for picnics and celebrations. There are several places to rent a canoe, but have to from outside the park.

Naturist Campground

My favorite campground in WV.

Are you a naturist? If so, you would enjoy Avalon Resort.

If not, you might not feel comfortable.

Clean and very friendly. Lots of activities.

Book early for holidays.

Great little family campground

Swimming pool available and pond for fishing. Nice little store. Lots of pavilions for large family outings.

Basic overnight and daytrip camping area

Basic tent camping sites. Portable bathroom facilities only. Only a mile from the historic paw paw tunnel. Tunnel is very fun to travel through. Kids and adults alike enjoy the tunnel. Tunnel is always nice and cool refreshing during a long bike ride or hike on a hot day. Make sure to bring some flashlights for inside the tunnel as it is a mile long and gets very dark! Amazing to see the work that the canal builders accomplished.

Basic overnight camp sites.

Cons of the site are: Sites are very basic 1 parking spot flat tent campsites. No privacy from other campsites. Small camp area only 1 loop with approx 10 sites. Portable toilet facilities only and well pump for water. Pros: 5 minutes from the town of Cumberland. Boat ramp for easy access to the Potomac river. Located right between the c&o canal towpath and Potomac river. Daytime parking for bike rides or day trips. Short distance via the canal to historic lock houses and sites. Great for a quick stop or overnight stay when traveling the canal.

Great family campground. Lots to do for hikers, bikers, and family.

Great location in Western Maryland. 10 min ride to Cumberland (larger town) 5 min ride to small town of Flintstone. Lots of well marked trails that range from beginner to advanced. Lake holds opportunity for numerous activities from swimming, fishing, kayaking, paddle board, and canoeing. No motorized boats which can be a good thing sometimes. The lake even has areas for pets to swim! Campground has tent sites, cabins, camper sites and group sites. All loops have bath houses with showers. Several loops have sites with electric hook ups and pets friendly loops as well. Casino and golf course located on the opposite side of the lake if you wish to visit them while camping.

Beautiful State Park

This is a nice park offering lots of campsites, though, only one loop has electricity.

Pretty lake that offers canoe, kayak, paddle boarding and swimming. All of which are available for rent. Fire wood is also available, locally (follow the sign as you enter the State Park) and within the park. Campstore is well stocked and has most of the basic things you may need or forget. They also have a small concession stand that sells ice cream and other treats. Bathrooms and bathhouse are reasonably clean, showers had pressure and hot water. Plenty of hiking offering great views and photo opportunities.

Great place for a family getaway.

Primitive

I’ve always liked camping, then I tried primitive camping here and realized how much more I like it. This is a great campground for the weekend stays.

Beautiful and very nice!

The campgrounds are very nice, two lakes with crystal clear water, camp store, the camp sites are spread out but still a lot of people, hence a lot of noise.

Solitude nearby

Green Ridge State Forest camping is a bare bones affair. There are no showers, bathrooms, or campstores. What it does have is solitude. There are nearly 100 campsites within the forest boundaries and with the exception of the Kasekamp sites (that cater more to river floating and the nearby C&O Canal) most of them have no neighbor within half a mile. The sites with the most to offer as far as self contemplation are #’s 23, 100, and a couple along fifteen mile creek. The pads are wide and can accommodate multiple tents. There are three group sites within the forest. Backcountry camping is also allowed. Each established site has a picnic table and fire ring. Nearby are the towns of Flintstone, Little Orleans, and Hancock where supplies can be bought. Be aware that every site is approached by roads that are gravel ( if your lucky) or dirt, which is more likely. Light pollution is median- most of the lights are from nearby I-68. A night sky will still be beckoning with more stars that one can count. Price is cheap. I rented a site for an entire week for less than 75 dollars. As far as what to do, the forest has huge trail miles, great fishing at the Potomac River and both 15 mile and Flintstone creeks, hunting in season, good fall colors, geocaching, and access to mountain biking as well. Minimal ATV use since the ORV trail closed. This is good deer and black bear country as well. Get dirty and rough it here. You absolutely won’t regret it.

Best place for family fun!

We visited this campground 3 years ago and had an absolute blast!! We ended with a very private tent site with no amenities but around the corner from a pavilion with an outside washing station and flush toilets. There were multiple bathhouses in the upper and lower camp. This is a great RESORT type location for families with store, restaurant, pools, slides, mini golf, picnic basket wagon rides, yogi bear fire truck rides, and snowless snow tubing! We stayed for 4 days and 3 nights! I encouraged everyone from PA to book a few nights there with their kids/grandkids! My children still talk about the fun we had!!

Great camping close to hikes, rivers, and waterfalls

I have stayed at Kentuck twice now, once while leading a trip with students where we were in tents, and once on a personal camping trip in a van. Both times I loved how close Kentuck is to Ohiopyle, and the amenities they have there. There is firewood for sale (cheap), bathhouses, water, dumpsters, fire rings at all sites, and the staff was helpful and friendly. I drove there both times, but there are campsites available that are near a trail that runs through the park and the campground I believe. I recommend this place!

Beautiful Area!

This is a great place to camp! the facilities were great and having a bear proof container at each site was great.

We had the perfect amount of sun for an afternoon nap after a short hike.

Beautiful campground and plenty to do

We just recently visited this campground with our 25 foot trailer and had a wonderful time, in spite of the rain. We spent a week there in site 168, electric site with 50 Amp capable. Pretty much all sites here are in the shade. Big, tall trees. Great to keep your campsite cool, not good if you rely on solar power. The sites are large and separate, not really private but good space between. I have been in this campground in past years with a tent several times and it has been good each time. The site we were on was pretty level, as many trailer sites appear to be but some of the tent sites may be level challenged. The bathrooms and shower houses are pretty nice, clean and the hot water was free and no problem. There is no camp store but there is a firewood and ice concession at the entrance to the campground. The road in is quite hilly but manageable with a 25 foot trailer. We did see some larger rigs so with care you can navigate there.

Activities there range from plenty of hiking, whitewater, and Architecture (Falling Water, Kentuk Knob), The Flight 93 Memorial, Pittsburg. There is no close grocery store, at least none we found. The town of Ohiopyle has restaurants with good food. And there are a number of whitewater outfitters to do the rafting. I highly recommend this campground.