Pets Unknown
About Cherry Springs State Park
Cherry Springs State Park is located in Pennsylvania
20 Reviews of Cherry Springs State Park
The stars

This is one of the darkest places that I have ever been. They go to a lot of trouble to make sure that it stays dark. There are no lights in the bathroom at the campground but that’s a sacrifice for the dark sky and they give out red cellophane to put over flashlights that are too bright. The stars were so bright during our visit that I could probably have counted over 1000. I would love to go back with a telescope when the kids are a little older.

Amazing

Love this place. Quiet, Dark, perfect place to see the milky way!

Great for stargazing

This a great place to stargaze, which is why we chose it. The sites are mostly open with the usual amenities. The bathrooms are just non flushing toilets-no running water there so that is something to consider. we always bring water with us though- so no bother. The field is right across the way with the observation telescopes. Don't forget your red lights for the night! :)

Perfect place to see the stars

Cherry Springs had a great campground with decent space between campsites. Each campsite had a fire pit and a picnic table and most had trees behind them. We stayed in a drive up site that was close to the restrooms and had a clear field near us to look up and stargaze.

Perfect for Stargazing

We mainly came to this camp ground for stargazing and it was awesome! We brought our own telescope and set it up but there were a lot of people with telescopes willing to share with people who didn't have one.

Well maintained campground near star field.

This is a great little camp right beside the star field. The camp is wooded and well maintained. There are a ton to totally level spots which is why I took the one star off, but my family of four enjoyed it. The latrine toilets are kept very clean. We had a group that partied all night and definitely got sick in the latrine but the park staff were there by about 9 am cleaning it out. I do wish they were a bit more strict with some of the campers, as the party group also had a movie screen and projector and it was a bit of a bummer to have that much light near the star field but it was fine. Most campers are good about maintaining low light or red light to help maintain night vision. Tons of birds to see and you can hear cyotes. Go on a new moon so you can see the most stars.

Open, good sized sites, no trees so great for seeing the stars

There are no trees here so you can see the stars more easily; but keep in mind that means there isn't an easy way to hang a tarp if it rains so be prepared. Sites are far apart and pretty large. No cell service, vault toilets.

There's a better choice

Lyman Run State Park is a better choice.

awesome stargazing

not the best camping area personally, we ended up staying at Lyman run state park for camping last time we went which is about a 20 min drive to cherry springs which worked out great! (check out my review and photos of there) but cherry springs really was worth it and if absolutely go again. absolutely beautiful! I went in October so I wish I brought more layers! definitely chilly without any tree coverage! definitely a must see!

STARS!!!!

this amazing park has one of the most amazing views of the stars on the east coast. its a dark sky park so there are not lights to spoil your viewing. its on the top of a mountain with some very beutiful overlooks too. everyone has to at least go there once to see the starts… i wish i had star pictures to show you but they would not do it justice.