Blue Marsh Lake, PENNSYLVANIA
Most Recent Blue Marsh Lake Camping Reviews
Glamping

My girlfriends and I just stayed in the yurts for annual glamping trip. We reserved 3 of 4 yurts for first weekend in June…non peak season. Peak season requires minimum 5 day reservation, I believe. Yurts have 2 sets of bunk beds with one set having full size mattress on bottom. Yurts have heat and fans. Full size refrigerator, stove and microwave. No water but directly across from facilities with basin sinks outside for cleaning dishes, etc. Each yurt has a huge deck, 2 picnic tables and fire pit. Restrooms and showers are a hop, skip and jump from yurts and well maintained. Also each yurt comes with a moor skip to keep kayaks, paddleboards or canoes at lake. Beautiful lake surrounded by trails and includes beach area and playground. Dogs are allowed in the park but not in campgrounds (yurts and cabins). There is no tent camping here but is available at Locust Lake State Park, just a few miles away. Alcohol is prohibited. Must park in overnight lot after unloading.

Review

Easy check-in. Tent site was very spacious and clean. Kids loved fishing in the pond. Restrooms/Bath House very well maintained.

Been there 3 times already

Clean, great camp store, dog friendly loop, great hikes accessible from campground!!

First time with the new tent

It’s a koa but it’s great, no on was there when we went in October. We had the whole place to ourselves.

Nice place, tight sites

This is a nice KOA. It's pretty close to Philly, which is why we stay there. The tent sites are pretty close together but it's not too overwhelming. The sites are right along the creek which is nice. Everything was clean and tidy while we were there and the place was packed. The only tiny drawback is the bathroom is kind of far from the sites, up a steep hill. And its on the dark side, especially if there is a new moon. We didn't use any of the activity amenities, but it seemed like there was a lot to do.  All said -it's a nice spot and they keep it very clean.

Nice, but outdated

A little outdated, but staff was very friendly. Park is kinda boring for kids. If I were them I’d add new stuff to playground and clean up the tent sites more. Tent sites are pretty rocky. I was pretty upset that our camp site had not been mowed. The grass was pretty tall. Overall we enjoyed our stay though.

Phanominal!

Hands down the cleanest, friendliest, most beautiful campground I’ve ever been to. We really enjoyed our trip to yogi bear. We booked another one within 3 weeks that’s how much we couldn’t wait to go back.

Camping

Good for family and very shady ( lots of trees ) nice employees and all hookups and peaceful

Too Expensive

The camp sites are very close together. Too Expensive for the small site you have. The owner is not very friendly.

Beautiful park with great hiking, close sites

Everywhere we hiked was great! So many beautiful trails and lots to do! We loved everything about this park except the actual campsites. The sites were very close together, and there wasn't a lot of privacy, which sucked for us. There were a lot of drunk New Yorkers yelling at all hours of the day and night. If we weren't surrounded by obnoxious people we probably wouldn't have minded the close proximity as much.The bathrooms were clean and close. And the camp store was packed floor to ceiling with supplies.

Pleasant

My husband, friend, and I tent camped here last weekend and we were pleasantly surprised by how nice it was. Long story short, I spent several days looking for a close-by camp site for us to stay at as it was our first time tent camping. I stumbled upon this campground and reserved a space with electric and water. Upon arrival, the people at the office were friendly. We got to our space (83) and we noticed we were placed right in the middle of a bunch of RVs, which was not what we had envisioned. I took a walk with my dog and saw the primitive sites tucked in the back of the grounds. I immediately went to the office to ask to move to a primitive site and they allowed us to move without any issues. We ended up setting up camp at site 31 - which was spacious enough for two large tents and very private.

Pros: primitive sites are very private, friendly staff, clean grounds.

Cons: only one bathroom and it’s very far from the primitive sites, E/W sites are between RVs.

Great campground, great hiking

This campground was great. So much to do here. Hiking was great, climbing on the rocks was a lot of fun and the pinnacle was such a beautiful view. Loved our time there.

Was ok

It was small and we felt that our camper was to big for the spot we were in.

Calm

Been coming here for as long as i can remember relaxing little place nice people. Fishing and boating and hiking.

Peaceful, secluded campground for all nature lovers

French Creek State Park

Loop C Site 36

Hey everyone! Ranger Jen here with my first camping trip of the season for 2019. We have been having a crazy amount of rain here in Pennsylvania so due to weather related issues we haven’t been able to get out there until now. We absolutely love camping at French Creek for several reasons. The first has to be the sites. As long as you don’t stay right across from the bath houses you will find ample shade at your site. There are so many trees and brush in between most sites you can’t even really see your neighbors. Secondly, the price you pay for what you get is extremely cost effective. It cost us $65 for the weekend plus a $6 service fee for using the Reserve America website. We had electric however no water or sewer hookup. There was a spigot for water at the next site over from us, so we didn’t have to walk far to get fresh water. This is a great place to stay for a family or the outdoor enthusiast as there is so much to do. There is a huge lake where you can rent canoes and kayaks. A huge pool that has a beautiful view overlooking the lake. There are trails for mountain biking or hiking, a frisbee golf course, playground at the campground and at the lake, and an amphitheater at the campground where they hold events and Sunday morning church services. Not to mention close by there is Hopewell National Furnace and St. Peter’s Village with shops and restaurants and hiking trails as well. There are also two lakes, Scotts Run Lake and Hopewell Lake that you can fish, kayak, canoe or just relax by. There are several warm water fish in the lakes including northern pike, chain pickerel, bass, walleye, muskellunge and several types of panfish. If RV or tent camping is not your thing there are also two Yurts and one cabin available for rental as well.

We have stayed at French Creek in the past however, we have never stayed in Loop C before. This is the only loop that allows pets. I expected it to be much noisier than it was. All of the dogs were well behaved, and we didn’t have any problems as we took our walks around the loop. At the bath house there are two sinks for washing dishes and a counter to set them on which is nice. They are deep sinks also with HOT water. I was very disappointed in the cleanliness of the women’s bathroom. Let me just say I went one time and didn’t go back. Luckily, we have a cassette toilet in our camper. Normally, I just use that in the middle of the night but not this time. The campground hosts were nice and helpful however I don’t think they are responsible for cleaning the bathrooms. However, someone should look into having it done ASAP.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time and this weekend I was testing Morsel Sporks. We had two sizes which were the XL and the mini. Upon ordering I was thinking the mini would be a good size for our almost 2 year old and my husband, son and I would use the XL’s. I was surprised at the size of the XL when they arrived in the mail. I was originally thinking how am I going to use this gigantic thing but the more I used it the happier I was with the size.

Pros:

The XL is perfect for getting down to the corner of your bagged meals, scraping the sides of your bowl without the worry of scratching due to the rubber edges which also helps to conform to any hand. I used it to mix my pancake batter. The fork worked great to whisk the eggs and the spoon side was great for getting down into the mix to ensure it was all mixed in. I also made chili and it was great for stirring as you are not to fry with them however you can submerge them in hot water. We also used them to eat our chili. It was funny as my husband was using the spoon side and me the fork side. What do you eat your chili with? Let the great debate begin! P.S. – It was a think chili however I did end up flipping it over at the end to scrape my bowl with the spatula. What was especially nice with the XL was that once I did flip it over to use the other end my hand was able to stay in the same place and not get full of sauce. I can’t stand when I get something on my utensil and then it gets on my fingers. That was always a problem I had with other products like this in the past. The XL is 10.5 inches long and the mini is 7.5 inches long. The mini has been great to travel with for our daughter. She uses it to eat everything from applesauce, hotdogs, mac and cheese, ice cream, Rita’s and yogurt.  It is very lightweight (.6 oz mini, .85 oz XL) yet durable, so she can be rough with it and it holds up. Let’s be real, we all know our kids throw stuff. The material which is plastic is very easy to clean as well and doesn’t get greasy. I even use mine at work. #1 it cuts down on plastic wear in the garbage and #2 because the plastic wear is cheap, and it just bends under the pressure of just trying to eat. Seriously, it bends when I try to eat a salad. There is also a hole, so you can clip it to your pack. Plus, this product is made in the USA and they offer a lifetime guarantee as long as it is under normal conditions. There is also just a spoon/spatula that can be purchased along with a combo of the products. The cost is very reasonable and it is a lifetime guarantee so all the more reason to spend for the quality.

Cons:

I have done some research and have found that some left-handed people have some trouble using the product. Maybe if they angled the bottoms it would help. Also, it would be nice to have the XL handle size with the size of the mini ends. My husband who is a cancer survivor has issues eating due to reconstructive surgery on his jaw. He can only open his mouth so wide. He did okay but after a while it was making his mouth tired to be opening it to get it in his mouth. Maybe if it was a little slimmer it would help. The fork side is really pointy as well so if you have this in your backpack you may want to wrap something around it to ensure you don’t poke a hole in anything you don’t want a hole through. I think it would be cool to have a glow in the dark version of these products as well. There is not a sharp knife so if you are eating meat or something that requires cutting you will most likely need something else. Overall, I was very happy with this product. I will definitely be looking into getting some more.

Thanks for reading and happy camping!

Quiet campground with pool

Overview: nice quiet campground with a variety of campsites and a pretty good camp store.

Site: this review is of the campsite and cabin we stayed in. Most of the campsite options are fairly level, but are very rocky, so this is something to keep in mind if you are tent camping. We have heavy duty solid steel pegs and still had trouble pegging everything down. Some of the cabins were recently added and are super clean inside. The one we stayed in had a set of bunk beds, a queen bed, and a fold out couch. It also had a bathroom with shower /tub and everything you would need except linens.

Bathroom: the bathhouse had individual bathrooms and showers. Each was pretty clean and spacious.

Amenities: Campsite with $5 firewood, coffee and ice cream. Mini golf Fishing pond Pool

PROS: Quiet campground Pool open seasonally Nice staff

CONS: No walking trails

Have stayed here before and will stay here again.

Big sites.

This campground was really nice. Large and easy to enter/exit sites. Wifi was pretty good. (It helped that the antenna was right beside our site!) Cable TV, too! Everyone we talked to was nice and friendly.

Not great

Cons: Bring 50 ft of hose for water hook up and an extension cord with a converter. The water hook ups are randomly placed, ours was 2 sites away. The lake area is COVERED in goose poop. Sites in the 20’s are tiny and hanging off a cliff.

Pros: Shaded, hiking, nice camp store, nice snack bar

Tuscarora state forest

Off the beaten path in the middle of “pennsyl-tucky”. No cell service at all unless you drive up to the top of the mountain. It is free to camp at one of the spots but you must call the respective ranger station ahead of time and let them know your car name ect and they issue you a permit free of charge. No one will bother you here you get a car driving by here and there. There are fire pits already in place. Is mainly a pull off off of a dirt road that runs along a creek all the way through the state forest. There are bear in the region so be weary with your food. No noise pollution. No light pollution. No large towns anywhere near here all towns with very minimal population. There are trails throughout the forest but tall grass filled with ticks. Dog friendly!! Found a couple of large black rat snakes near our campsite. There are rattle snakes in the region I’ve been told too.

Peaceful retreat, depending on your site if rain is in the forecast

Camped here Easter weekend 2019 for three nights in loop 162 -186, on sites 165 & 166. Upon arrival, we were surprised at how small the sites were in person, but luckily, they allow you to move the table and the fire pits to accommodate your equipment if needed. You do have to return it to its original location before departing.

It rained fairly heavily during our first day there and the sites became extremely muddy, so be prepared if rain is in the forecast. Some of the sites were covered in gravel which aided the muddiness.

The remainder of the weekend was lovely and the lake was packed with people fishing throughout the day. I took a walk around our loop on Sunday to see if there were any larger sites for a future trip and the sites in the 180’s (along Locust Creek) were severely flooded due to the downgrade of the loop, which levels off as you get closer to the creek, even after two full days of sunshine and warmer temperatures. Literally inches of water throughout the entire site. I figured I would mention it here since otherwise they would be desirable sites due to the close proximity of a near constantly babbling creek.

Otherwise, the bathroom/shower facilities were adequate, albeit in need of a paint job. There is a roadside stand and then a bait and tackle place that sells wood on the road leading to the park, but downed wood was plentiful at the time of our visit. I would imagine by the summer, it won't be so easy to forage.

First camping trip ever!

GREAT first trip! The campgrounds were nice and there was a lot to do. Volleyball courts, secret picnic areas, kayak and other boating rentals. Also a lot to do in the nearby town. Would definitely recommend!

secluded and lovely

great campsite right on the Susquehanna! secluded and nice amenities!

Quiet, peaceful, great trails,

Had a lovely time. Quiet, peaceful, great trails which can be hiked from campground. Pool is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day and it looked crystal clean and huge! Park was very well marked, no question where to go or where we are. Rv spot was level! I would recommend it and will go back!

Love, love, love

From the spotlessly clean grounds to the nice facilities this is a favorite of ours. There are lots of seasonal sites but there also lots of visitors too.

Amenities include a pool that is indoors for the fall/spring and opens to connect with the outdoor pool in the summer season, plus a kids pool that includes a waterfall and a swim up bar (for icees). If you want to hike there’s adjacent game lands for hiking. There are goats. There’s mini golf. There’s a cafe. On weekends there are lots of activities. Lots of friendly staff.

Some trailer sites are narrow but others are not. Yes, there’s a quarry BUT contrary to what someone said they don’t operate 24/7, but do start around 7 or 8 am. The quarry is harder to hear from most the trailer sites.

All in all, our favorite place.

It's pretty nice

A lovely pocket of nature with some interesting features near the high rocks vista.

I liked this place

I see the reviews are all over the place for this campground. In my opinion you’ll find seasonal sat most every campground. I just don’t like when their site becomes nasty and unkempt. But I like this campground. We (wife and kids) were here twice about 6 years ago. I remember playing bingo and I won the last round, about $40. They had a lot to do I remember that.

Bring a hammer

Lovely trails and the rocks are something else

Won't be Back

We stopped here since it was on our route to Lake George, New York. Convenient location, close to the Interstate. VERY loud noise from the Interstate. Our campsite is number 86, unkempt (see pictures). Would have complained, but we are leaving in the morning. The area they gave us has permanent campers, some unsavory, so we have everything locked. The other side of the campground has full amenities, including a game house, cafe, grocery, putt putt, valley ball nets, and fishing pond. Also is kept much nicer.

It was a great time on the river!

Stayed here with a bunch of buddies, it seemed pricey at first but ended up being about $20 per person, which wasn’t bad at all! The campsite is huge. We spent our time fishing the river banks right outside our tents and kayaking on the Susquehanna to fish the warm waters. We caught a ton of catfish and carp using live bait. It was a great time at the river!

Beautiful Campground

Nice campground with well taken care of sites. There is a pond to fish from, a dog park for your furry friend to play at and a few playgrounds for the kids.