The best WALK IN camping near
Powhatan Point , OHIO

Most Recent Powhatan Point Camping Reviews
Gorgeous

Beautiful setting. Campground has many permanent sites. Clean and spacious.

Peace and quiet, with a view!

The views are amazing! If you love peace and quiet this is the place for you. All sites are amongst the very tall trees. There are several ponds around the campground for fishing and bird watching. Be sure to keep an eye our for deer as you come into the park! We had to stop a few times for them to move out of the driveway. All sites are full hookups. The other 7 campers here this weekend all appear to be longer term/seasonal. This wasn't a problem for us as they were working during the day and quiet at night.

Cons: The sites are a bit close, think KOA close. This might be a turnoff if the campground was full. The weekend we stayed there were 8 total campers, lots of empty sites between campers.

Great Free Camping

We drove thru Sand Hollow, Bicentennial and Maple Grove before choosing Hook Lake. All of these Jesse Owens State Park/AEP campgrounds are free for up to 14 days. While most of the sites at Hook Lake do not have cell coverage we were lucky enough to find that at the "top of the hill" we were able to get both att and verizon at around 2 bars (3 to 5gb download but under 1 upload).

This campground was very quiet, lots of shade (not ideal if you are running on solar only). The DNR make rounds on a regular basis. There is a dumpster by the entrance to the campground but no longer cans at each site (October 2020).

Stayed in site 27 with a 33ft travel trailer and we're able to get level without and blocks.

Lots of hiking, mountain biking and The Wilds are near by. McConnelsville is about 20 min away for all your gas, food (Kroger) and propane (Greueys Fuel and Freed.

Fabulous, Numerous Activities!!

Salt Fork State Park is Amazing!! There is 'something for Everyone' here; from the lodge, golfing, boating, fishing, hiking, camping, trail rides, hunting, pontoon boat rides, boat and kayak rentals, primitive camping, camping with your horses, a beach, and numerous other options!! If your BRAVE enough, You can explore 3 different known areas where Bigfoot has been sighted, on numerous occasions, thru the years!!

Fabulous, Numerous Activities!!

Park is Great, Campsites Suck!

Stayed here in the “primitive” camp. You are basically staying with your neighbors in small cleared areas where you can see everything everyone else is doing and if you have one of the sites nearer to the parking areas, you will have people walking through your campsite all day and night from the ones in the rear. From what I saw, the electric sites in the main campground aren’t much better. I mean this is a midwestern state park camping experience for sure. If you’re expecting any amount of privacy, think again.

The lake is pretty beautiful. The trails are well marked and the horse trails go on for miles and miles so if you have horses this is a great place to trail ride and if you’re a hiker who is not afraid of horses, you can always enjoy the equestrian trails for some serious mileage!

Diamond in the rough

Just outside the towns of Zanesville and Cumberland where you can find Ohio's famed Wilds there's heat opportunity for free camping. No reservations needed, check out different regions and pick a spot that is open and tugs at your heart. Enjoy views of lakes, butterflies and take the opportunity to introduce your kids to fishing if you haven't done that yet. Plenty of opportunity to find a perfect hammock spot or a cozy corner for just you and a plus one or get some friends together and enjoy the company and fire together… Roll up your car windows or raccoons will take advantage of any acorns or hot chocolate packets in your car. Travel to nearby Mcconnellville and get some small town flavor and sights. Miners memorial is nearby. Go check out Big Muskie Bucket and learn a bit about Coal and power.

Pretty, Free, but a dirty lake

I went for an overnight camping getaway. The campsite was fairly clean, had to pickup a few wrappers. I was excited to get a spot overlooking the water, with a table and fire pit. Not a really good spot for a tent, but I was able to find a soft spot off to the side. From up on the hill looking down on the lake, it looked quite clear. I was excited to grab my canoe and jump in.

I carried my boat to the waters edge. As I was going to put my canoe into the water, I noticed some really nasty stuff in the water. It looked like human poop. I was kinda stunned, and then I noticed a lot of flies all around that particular area. So given that I decided I was not going to be canoeing or fishing.

I get it, it’s free. But I just wish people would NOT empty their RVs into the lake. Kinda ruined a good thing. Aside from that, the area was very pretty.

Beautiful campground, quiet, not to crowded…..

Comfy camping!

Nice simple, small campground sites are for everyone, RV to tent, older bathhouses but clean. Swimming pool and lake for fishing and boating!