The best GROUP camping near
Caldwell , OHIO

Most Recent Caldwell Camping Reviews
Nice trails, not so nice campsites

Most of the sites at this state park campground are very small and don’t have much level ground. Even the sites meant for RVs and trailers are right on top of each other. It’s almost like they took what should have been one site and made it two. There’s a handful of sites that offer a little space and level ground for tent campers. You may or may not have a picnic table and fire ring with a grill at your campsite when you arrive. According to staff, people take the fire rings and I guess there’s nothing they can do. Bathrooms were clean. The lake view trail was nice and accessible from the campground.

Great Free Camping

We drove thru Sand Hollow, Bicentennial and Maple Grove before choosing Hook Lake. All of these Jesse Owens State Park/AEP campgrounds are free for up to 14 days. While most of the sites at Hook Lake do not have cell coverage we were lucky enough to find that at the "top of the hill" we were able to get both att and verizon at around 2 bars (3 to 5gb download but under 1 upload).

This campground was very quiet, lots of shade (not ideal if you are running on solar only). The DNR make rounds on a regular basis. There is a dumpster by the entrance to the campground but no longer cans at each site (October 2020).

Stayed in site 27 with a 33ft travel trailer and we're able to get level without and blocks.

Lots of hiking, mountain biking and The Wilds are near by. McConnelsville is about 20 min away for all your gas, food (Kroger) and propane (Greueys Fuel and Freed.

Great site!

Site 41 with a paved pad and electric. We were across from the shower house and bathrooms. The office is closed but a staff person was on site. Our site was perfect for us with trees on either side to help with shade. Across our site was also a big green space to walk our dogs. Not all the electric sites have shade especially if you are up top. The lower electric is much better however some of the sites hardly have a space for tents and would be better for a camper. Lots of places to hike and a lake to kayak or canoe. There’s a big playground for the kids as well. The tent only sites are a little less desirable as they are all downhill and mostly uneven. They have flush toilets and sinks but you’d have to come up to the main campground to shower. Pick your site wisely!

Fabulous, Numerous Activities!!

Salt Fork State Park is Amazing!! There is 'something for Everyone' here; from the lodge, golfing, boating, fishing, hiking, camping, trail rides, hunting, pontoon boat rides, boat and kayak rentals, primitive camping, camping with your horses, a beach, and numerous other options!! If your BRAVE enough, You can explore 3 different known areas where Bigfoot has been sighted, on numerous occasions, thru the years!!

Fabulous, Numerous Activities!!

Not a proper camp however in a pinch 🤫

Arrived in the Athens area very late. Camp ground at the state park gave me an eerie feeling so I stayed here instead and it was decent.

Single human, car camping. I stayed in the lot. In the morning every passersby was kind from a covid-distance. Yard signs on the way out advocated civil rights.

Felt safe here. Would return especially for the hiking!

Park is Great, Campsites Suck!

Stayed here in the “primitive” camp. You are basically staying with your neighbors in small cleated areas where you can see everything everyone else is doing and if you have one of the sites nearer to the parking areas, you will have people walking through your campsite all day and night from the ones in the rear. From what I saw, the electric sites in the main campground aren’t much better. I mean this is a midwestern state park camping experience for sure. If you’re expecting any amount of privacy, think again.

The lake is pretty beautiful. The trails are well marked and the horse trails go on for miles and miles so if you have horses this is a great place to trail ride and if you’re a hiker who is not afraid of horses, you can always enjoy the equestrian trails for some serious mileage!

Pretty, Free, but a dirty lake

I went for an overnight camping getaway. The campsite was fairly clean, had to pickup a few wrappers. I was excited to get a spot overlooking the water, with a table and fire pit. Not a really good spot for a tent, but I was able to find a soft spot off to the side. From up on the hill looking down on the lake, it looked quite clear. I was excited to grab my canoe and jump in.

I carried my boat to the waters edge. As I was going to put my canoe into the water, I noticed some really nasty stuff in the water. It looked like human poop. I was kinda stunned, and then I noticed a lot of flies all around that particular area. So given that I decided I was not going to be canoeing or fishing.

I get it, it’s free. But I just wish people would NOT empty their RVs into the lake. Kinda ruined a good thing. Aside from that, the area was very pretty.

Very Secluded beautiful lake.

You will have everything you need for rv. Water, (fill your rig) Sewer Dump and electricity. Cell service is good. No 4g on Verizon I’m unsure if they offer extended WiFi.

Overrated!

Booked this State Park due to good reviews on another website.  We were disappointed.  RV sites were very close together.  Site required minimal leveling.  We were on like a hilltop and overlooked lower level RV circle.  Seems like many on lower level were part of a large group and had dogs and that barked endlessly !

Seems each RV had an additional 1-2 vehicles or local friends visiting making driving through next to impossible.

No full hookup but potable water available throughout camping circles.  We were by a water spout and every time an RV/Trailer came in they of course had to fill up.  Check a campground map and try to avoid these sites.  Some, despite signs not to, even washed their dishes at the water spout.

You have to drive to the lake and picnic area.  Picnic area appeared well kept.  We did not swim due to frequency of E-Coli warnings at this lake which was disappointing as it was very warm and we would have enjoyed a cool lake swim.