Rolling Hills , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Rolling Hills Camping Reviews
Nice views but....

We stayed in July 2019. For a NC state park, some of the sites are a little close to each other. It is well known that NC parks do not allow alcohol, so we did not bring any.

The camp host was a little insulting with how they kept on checking on us over and over and over and reminding us that we can't drink. We weren't even playing music or making noise. And we weren't drinking. It was just the two of us, and we are experienced campers, so… We know better.

I'd go back and give it another try,but having to insist that we weren't breaking rules… I felt like a kid in Catholic school all over again and frankly, I do not go camping with the goal of re-living that.

Great Camping but... Why are so many people trashing the place?

First of all.. this place is FREE to camp at and surrounded by beautiful water, beautiful trees and the ancient rock of Uwharrie. A lovely place that we are so lucky to have access to… BUT. People. Why? Why are there piles of trash being left at campsites? I bagged up 4 large bags of garbage that some college aged kids just left. There are so many campers leaving piles upon piles of their camping trash out here.

Loving the Lower Loop

We stayed on the Lower Loop of Badin Lake Campground, specifically site 16. There was a grassy area behind our site and a few other sites that was perfect for frisbee throwing or ball throwing/kicking. Some even used it for their tents. The lake was a stone’s throw behind our site, accessible via a well-worn path. Other sites are practically sitting at the edge of the lake. Sites 9 or 13 will be on my list for the next visit. Plenty of flora, so the sites are relatively private. Abundant shoreline for fishing and also lots of cover for the fish. No ice or firewood on site, so be sure to hit the Uwharrie Trails General Store on the way in.

Excellent

Very nice trails. Well maintained. Not marked the best… signs at intersections. Plenty of creeks. Hike in for dispersed camping.

Will Definitely Visit this Campground Again

We decided to make an overnight stop at Badin Lake Campground on our way to South Carolina and boy, are we glad we did. Based on a few YouTube videos, we chose to stay in Site #9 overlooking the lake. As you can see from our photos, the view is spectacular. The campground is very clean and well kept. Especially the toilets and showers, which were spotless. The sites are spacious and most accommodate various size travel trailers.

The only issue we had was trying to locate firewood. There wasn't any for sale at the campground and we didn't see any for sale by local residents along our route into the area. Fortunately, we were able to rustle up enough downed wood to build a small fire to roast a few hotdogs and enjoy the quiet evening.

We look forward to returning in the future so we can spend more time enjoying the campground and take advantage of the various recreational opportunities in the area.

Great spot, great fishing

If you want to get away, this is where you go. Secluded but still able to get into town for supplies. Beautiful area, lots of space on the lower ground, gorgeous views from the higher ground, and some damn good fishing. I didn’t take enough pictures when I was there. The upper landing is relatively small, my Dodge Ram fit with nothing being exposed on the road, but there was still plenty of camp able space begins my truck. Short but steep walk down to the river. I would be careful when the river is swollen, but otherwise it is gorgeous. My friends both caught a couple of channel cats. One enormous female catfish we released because she had eggs on board. Great. Definitely recommend it for a day or weekend trip. You have to haul all your supplies and trash in and out to include water.

Thanksgiving weekend

It was surprisingly busy, almost all sites occupied. There is not much space between the sides, but the park is huge and right at the lake. We stayed only one night. A lot of young families were here with their bikes. Restrooms were fair. All in all a nice campground if you don't mind little privacy.

Remote Grandure

I loved the place. Really remote and FREE. Lots of spots on Botha sides of the road. Not for bigger rigs. I’ve got a 13 foot pull behind. Backed in mostly but a few could be pulled in an out. Road posted 25 mph but recommend 10 mph. Was also narrow in spots. Very bumpy. Last 1/2 mile don’t go. Steep rocky Muddy. Photos show. Fire rings were rocks. No water all primitive. Will go back when warmer. Lots of trails and wildlife. Stayed in 2 different spots.

Remote at its best

Stayed one night. 10 with America Beautiful pass, 20 without. Great area with 22 parking areas. Right on the lake. Water, toilets and shower ( water off probably too cold). Great views with peace and quiet. 3 day pay for drive ins, reservations take precedence but if open can stay longer. Really liked it, will make reservations for warmer weather though