The best WALK IN camping near
Mulberry , NORTH CAROLINA

Cyber Monday Gift Extended Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Mulberry Camping Reviews
Wild Ponies.....

Grayson Highlands State Park is just one of those places you love! The views are awesome, the trails excellent and then there’s wild ponies ! I brought my daughter and granddaughter with me this time and we all had a very good visit. My granddaughter got such a thrill out of meeting wild ponies and there were so many babies, it was so much fun ;) The campground is quiet and the sites are mostly shaded. There’s good separation between sites, though some are a little more open then others. There are a few sites where you are literally sitting on the edge of a very steep drop off, I avoid these ! There are Trailhead’s within the campground and several other very unique and challenging trails. The shower house was a short walk through the trees. The camp Host was across the road from the shower house and next to the dump site. He had firewood on site and was very helpful and informative. No water sports here , but lotsa hiking and stars.

Wonderful

Such a nice campground. Woodsy sites, access to hiking trails. Spacious camp sites with all the amenities.

Nice

Very nice setting. Beautiful camp spots in an open area on top of a mountain. Clean bath house. Great hiking trails. Friendly staff.

Awesome place close to home

This is such a great place to go if you are wanting to escape from the city!

✔ out Grammy and pappy at it again on you tube we shode it on there

The pool was closed and so was the game room and kitchen. The bathroom and store was a long walk from our tent and so was the pet are. The road noise was bad. And the store had no suplise. The staff was not kind

Beautiful and Versatile

Love this campground! Well maintained and clean bath houses. Choose a site hidden in the trees with lots of shade and privacy or in the sun with a view of the reservoir. Hiking trails and water activities. Warning: prone to flooding and cancellations.

This place was awesome

Ok so this place was just beautiful all around. It is close enough to town to get in and see some places near…. but far enough out that you have some quiet time. Sites were fair and the bath house near us was shut down. Next bathroom was to far to walk to but we made do. Overall great visual and be sure to go up to the town of Blowing Rock… really nice place. Terrible cell service so be prepared to dish out $8 a day for internet….

Cleanest Bathrooms Ever

We camped in mind-September and had a great time. These are the cleanest bathrooms we’ve ever seen. The on-site store is a life saver and the hosts are very helpful. We will return.

Forest Dispersed Camping With Toilets and Phone Reception Nearby

Stayed here for 5 days in November 2020.

The road is gravel and dirt. No major potholes and easily navigable. Two cars/trucks and most likely two small to mid-sized RVs can squeeze by at the same time. If you take the road all the way to the end, about 2 to 2.5 miles, there is a huge asphalt parking lot(see pics). One caveat: there is a relatively narrow turn near the top of the lot, past the camping sites, that would be difficult for larger RVs. Then again many trucks hauling dirt bikes on trailers made it up to the parking lot. If they can, I imagine many lengthy vehicles probably could get through also.

This parking lot is mainly used by Off Highway Vehicles(OHV). That is, dirt bikes and four wheelers. The OHV trail starts at the parking lot, which is why on weekends it gets extremely busy. I'd say I saw upwards of 25 trucks and vans in November. Most leave before sundown. Some may occasionally camp. The OHV lot is far enough from the sites, about 0.5 miles, that you won't hear the bikers coming and going from the OHV trail. You will hear them when they pass your site on their way in and out. By the way, I believe you cannot camp at the parking lot though I did not try.

There are a handful of sites, all of which are of different sizes and shapes. All can accommodate tents with ease. Tables and fire rings are available in most though I didn't check them all. Some sites will fit trailers and trucks, especially if you squeeze them in. See pics of how a few campers did exactly that. Small RVs will fit in most sites, possibly by backing them in. The road is wide enough where backing in is possible, especially with assistance. I saw a large fifth wheel in one of the sites and a truck and trailer in another of the smaller sites(see pics).

There are two toilets about 100 feet apart. They are clean and toilet paper is supplied(see pics).

Phone reception and internet access are unavailable at the sites, or at least the one I was at. It's possible that with a booster you may get service. You will get service to make phone calls at the OHV trail parking lot. Internet is spotty.

Being a forest, trees abound. Depending on the site you are at, you may or may not get sunshine. The trees provide plenty of shade. This can be good and bad. My solar panels had to be moved every 15 to 20 minutes if I wanted them to provide full charge. A bit of a hassle but doable. I was able to charge my power station sufficiently.

As for groceries, there is a store diagonally across from the entrance of the forest. Unfortunately, it was only open during the weekend when I happened to be there. The Collettsville General Store is about 6 miles from the dispersed camping sites and a far better bet. If you're exiting the forest, turn left and keep going until you hit a T point. Turn right and it's immediately to your right. They are a fully stocked convenience store where you can also get pizza and sandwiches. The general store also serves as a gas station. And they're open 7 am to 9 pm to boot!

About 0.25 to 0.5 miles from the Collettsville General Store is the Hard and Flossie Clark Family Park, a public park, where phone reception is available. There are covered picnic tables so you can sit and surf(see pics). If you scout around you'll find a power outlet that is turned on. Enough to get routine tasks done while charging your laptop.

Collettsville also has a post office, which opens during the afternoon every day. I think from 12:30 pm to 4:00 pm. Or it may be 12:30 to 4:30.