The best GROUP camping near
Cuartelez , NEW MEXICO

Most Recent Cuartelez Camping Reviews
One of my favorite spots in NM

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS :) beautiful scenery and very clean! i liked the set up of the camp ground, very spacious but still felt like a nice community. 10/10 must see.

Beautiful lake! Maintained spot

Spot is well maintained. Usually lots of others around so not super “off grid” but it’s nice and you can view the lake! Beautiful to drive around too. Pueblo land, be respectful!

Empty in winter!

I arrived after dark on December 28th, and at first missed the turn off for the camping, but using the map here on the Dyrt, could see where I went wrong.

Google gets you there, as soon as you cross the cattle stile into the park, take your first left which comes very quickly. Dispersed camping is on both sides of this road. If you go a little further, you’ll see the vault toilets on the right (I couldn’t find these until the morning).

It was completely deserted, except for one RV (I am sleeping in my car). In the morning I discovered a car which looks like someone may be living in the park, but saw no signs of anyone.

It is beautiful! I woke up to an inch of snow! One downside- it’s right next to a landfill. There was no smell, but I could hear all of the equipment in the morning.

Easy to find, clean, safe (I’m a solo woman). I’d stay here again!

Sweet Spot

This place is awesome, easy to get to and free. There is lots of room and we have a lot of privacy. Close to town and everything you need. There is also a place to shoot guns if you got em.

Submersed in the forest

Black Canyon is the type of campground I remember visiting as a child in the NW. Heavily wooded, sites tucked in. Not on top of each other directly, but close enough to have a group camp and be distanced. Vault toilets were clean. Some sites weren’t level, so if you’re in a RTT or RV, be sure to have plenty of leveling tools. Only stayed one night and didn’t get to hike or explore. If you aren’t used to elevation, the camp sits up 8400 feet, it’ll take a bit more time to do normal activities. This Florida gal had to learn to slow down. 😉

Just land

Located more in the desert, but an extremely bumpy dirt road can take you further in to other camping areas. Just make sure you have 4-wheel drive. Simple, basic site. Old historical “El Camino de Real” trail runs through the east side of the campground.

Flat and Free!

Stayed here one night. Dispersed large dirt and rock camping area with scattered junipers and other brush. There were a few rock fire pits that others have made but no one there had a fire going at the time we stayed there. It was quiet and if you're lucky you can find a secluded spot among the trees and bushes. There are 2 unisex pit toilets in the area but there is no water or garbage so pack in and out!

Good cell reception with AT&T and Verizon.

Incredible

Cheap and very quiet. Only one loop was open but I think there were only two other groups of campers. Hikes in area are fantastic. Surprised to get a decent cell signal (good enough for audio only work meetings while I’m living and working on the road).

A mixed bag, but overall a very nice stay.

We stayed here for two nights in mid-June, 2020…so grateful to have an RV so we can travel during this time of COVID. We came up from Albuquerque to do some hiking in some mountains(cooler). We had great rain both evenings and sat under the awning and just relaxed after a long day on the trails.

The location of this park is its best feature, I have to say. Nestled right against the mountain. Lots of trees and shade. There is a little stream, which is nice to listen to. Our site was on the edge of the stream, but there was a short, steep bank down to the water, so we didn't really spent time at the water. Site 1& 2 appear to have easy access to the stream(in case you've got kids who would like to splash around a little). We had a full service site, and everything worked fine. Water pressure is a smidge low, but not a big deal.

The atmosphere here is pretty laid back. There were overnighters and long term and everything in between. Some tent camping, and then all sizes and ages of RVs. The operators were friendly, although as is the case during these interesting times, we had minimal interaction.

As other reviews I've read have stated, there is a bit of junk around the area. It's mostly corralled into separate areas, but no doubt you will note it and perhaps feel just a little bit like you're camping in a junkyard. This is NOT a pristine campground. It's a bit rustic overall. If you have to drive to any of the sites a little further from the office, just watch out for tree branches. They hang pretty low and haven't been addressed by trimming in awhile.

There is NO cell service. Not a bar to be found. And the wifi (free) is REALLY spotty. I had very minimal luck just checking email. Forget about streaming anything. Just be prepared…it was hardly a major issue for us. But if you need good cellular, you'll have to drive up the road a half mile or so.

Although humble in many ways, we were already discussing our next visit here. So we DO recommend Sierra Village…with some caveats.  (Note, we also stayed here one night in September, 2020, with my daughter & SIL.  Aside from the drought having dried out the stream, it was again a very nice visit.)