The best GROUP camping near
St. Simons , GEORGIA

Most Recent St. Simons Camping Reviews
Bring your bikes!

We had planned to come to Jekyll Island but did not realize how packed the campground would be. They managed to find us a spot but wanted a two night minimum because it was the weekend. Spots were a bit on top of eachother, but once we got out for the campground to explore the island we fell in love!
So many bike trails all around the island! We rode all the way into town and back, stopping at the market and riding over to the historic district was super neat! Also if you make it there in the winter they have an amazing light show set up under the oak trees which we just stumbled upon, jaw dropping! Jekyll island is highly recommended, the campground is OK if you don’t mind being on top of eachother… we like our space 😅

Hidden gem

I stayed at Beaver Creek for a little over a month. It's very quiet but convenient to stores and about 15 minutes from Jesup Georgia which is a small but adequate town. Miss Shirley, the owner, is very friendly and helpful. I'll go back any chance I get. Randy C.

Easy Overnight Stop

We are always comfortable stopping here, usually after what turns out to be a long first day on the road from Carolina to Florida. The super-friendly hosts lead you into your site, offer ideas for local take-out, then give you breakfast some days before you hit the road again.

Was happy to find this place

Had a tire blow on 95 just a mile from here. We were so happy for our unscheduled stop. Great store on sight. Free breakfast and pizza and wings delivered to your site.

Surrounded by nature

Lots of trees everywhere. They tuck the sites among the trees. Staff was very helpful at check in, lead us right to our spot. Walking distance to pier and Driftwood Beach. They rent bikes. You really need a car or bike to explore the island.

Great KOA

We have stopped here several times as a one nighter on a trip. Easy in and out and they have a grill you can order dinner from. Not necessarily the best food, but keeps me from cooking so I'll take it!! Also have a complimentary breakfast.

Breathtaking too close to each other

I love camping growing up and I loves going to the beach so I was very excited to come to Jekyll Island but I’m really disappointed let me tell you God did his handiwork here this place is absolutely breathtaking and we got lucky we’re tent camper so we’re in a corner in the back of us is nothing but words which is amazing for us but the campground itself there’s one campsite on top of another and there’s too many people with no space and I heard they’re just building more instead of spreading people out I think at one time this could’ve been a very incredible place if you’re looking for privacy and one with nature this is not it! If you don’t mind your friendly neighbor at a campground and this is the place for you I can’t say it’s not a beautiful place when I’m camping I want to be alone

Great Lake, a little crowded.

If you aren’t lucky to get one of the sites right on the lake the inner sites can get a little crowded with very little privacy. One of the sites farther off the lake hugging the treeline would have been nice. Otherwise nice facilities and great playground. Swimming area and kayaks to rent. Nice cabins, but quite a hike to them if you have friends staying there.

Beautiful sites, very clean, ROAD NOISE!

Pros Primitive sites are quite private with tons of palmettos and Spanish moss hanging from the trees. Beautiful! Very friendly staff They sell ice and firewood - they’ll even deliver firewood to your site! Boat launch Plus a lake to kayak, swim and fish Lots of cute bunnies When we were there, we were the only campers at the primitive sites. RV site was hopping! Can drive to all the Golden isles!

Cons Lots of road noise, it’s worst at the primitive sites compared to RV Raccoons!! Could hear them at night, they got very close to us. We left no food out and they were still checking us out. I’ve never felt so close to animals when camping. Shower pressure - otherwise bathrooms are clean

Full-hookups, great scenery, super buggy - even in December!

We spent a week here and enjoyed it quite a lot. We went in December so there were lots of long-term campers. Most everyone was very friendly. The longterm campsites had signs of the state where they were from, which I found to be a nice touch. Nearly all of them were decked out with holiday lights and decorations which made for a joyful walk at night.

The sites were fairly close together, but not so much so that you felt like you were sitting on top of one another. Lots of Spanish moss-draped live oak trees and palm frond plants. Sites were full-hook up, a nice laundry facility was on site, as well as a small camp store (though not much for grocery supplies), firewood and bike rentals. Wifi was spotty at best. There was a strong signal, but no speed to speak of.

The biggest downfalls for me is that it was super buggy - even in December! The gnats were downright vicious. In town pick up a bug spray and candle called Natz (available at the general market) - it works really well and is all natural. It also stunk so bad - some days/times more than others, but that's marshlands for you, so part of the package. The water was drinkable, though also stinky. I used it in my coffee, but couldn't drink it plain, so plan to bring bottled water, especially if you have a sensitive tummy. Oh and the air is so damp and humid, even on sunny days, that NOTHING dries. I couldn't get so much as a hand towel to dry inside or out!

The campsite is really close to Driftwood Beach, a magical spot that we spent a lot of time at. There's also Sand Dune Beach where you can find lots of sand dollars. We visited at the height of Covid, so didn't explore the town too much, other than the general market. Note: the market is ridiculously overpriced, so make sure to get your groceries and beer/wine before getting onto the island.

Also - one thing to note, there is a "parking fee" to get onto the island ($8 for cars, $20 for oversized vehicles). Usually it's not too bothersome to get in, but keep an eye on any special events going on so you can beat the crowd. One night coming back to camp from another island, we waited in line for 45 minutes just to get ONTO the island.