Cumberland Island National Seashore, GEORGIA
Most Recent Cumberland Island National Seashore Camping Reviews
Great coastal Spot

Fun park to kayak, fish, surf and ferry at. Natural Florida/Georgia left untouched. Most of the year you will want to bring repellant for no see-ems if venturing off the beaten path.

The best Military campground

Make sure when you reserve ask to pay extra to get the front row. I did not know that you could do that when you reserve.

Watching the ships come in and out is neat.

Not far from campground on base is a private beach which Is amazing.

Note the commissary and bx are off base and closed on Mondays.

Saint Augustine is not far away and is a good day trip to go explore.

Tree Heaven

We camped here for a weekend. There are many bugs and raccoons so beware. The driftwood beach is stunning and worth the entire trip.

This campground was good for a quick overnight stay.

Great spot and great folks

Friendly owners, good tenting, hammock and RV spots, just right down the road from the Okefenokee NWR.

A beautiful “old Florida” park

Really nice park. Lots of marsh lands and beautiful old trees. The campsites are a bit dark and they are all dirt.

Unique and sandy!

We stayed at the Atlantic beach campground in the tent section. Our site was super sandy and had no shade. Bring a dining tent for shade! It was quite windy, but you could hear the ocean crashing on the beach at night. You do have to park and walk a little in to your site. You’re nearby your neighbours but a long walk away from the RVs and the washrooms. The restroom was super clean and very new. Each tent site had its own potable water tap. Definitely going to return! Such a unique area and campground!

Family fun at it’s finest

Awesome campground. Fun times. This place means summer.

Great campground

We love this campground! Great beach and great town of Fernandina Beach! We were camping on the ocean side this time. Hard to get a site here. They have the fort you can tour also.

Decent campground

Great place to camp if you have a boat. Shore fishing is limited. They have a fishing pier, but it’s small and you have limited areas to cast. The campsites are close, but they have grills and tables at every site. They have good rates. I paid $16 for a Saturday night. Not a bad campground at all.

Quite and close to the beach

I love Jekyll Island! It has a great campground and it's within walking/biking distance to the beach. I go over there as often as I can. It's family friendly and pet friendly. It's always clean and the sites are a pretty good size too. The bathouses are clean.

Tight spots, beautiful place

Hanna Park would be five stars if it was just a little more groomed. We have a 38 foot fifth wheel and it was tough getting it in! The trees are hanging over the road so prepare to scratch your rig. Other than that, it’s amazing! The beach is beautiful and there’s a lot to do both in the park and nearby.

Awakening to a pristine soft sand beach & river, takes you back in time.

Small, with adequate sites power & water. Sites for primitive style tents, arrive in daylight to setup. Beach & area won't disappoint.

Great stay.

Staff and guest all very polite. Nice clean camp sites and bath houses. Fishing, surfing, Long Beach trails. This place has it all. I will be back soon.

Pleasant Surprise

Despite being in a dense Urban area, this campground a natural oasis. Beach close by - walking distance on park roads/paths. Nice lake (no swimming). Full hookups. Better for medium to small rigs. The big guys often have trouble on narrow roads within park. We had ATT and Verizon, and lots of over the air TV. Laundry available. Park can be a bit zooey on the weekends.

Camping

Sites are very small and roads through campground are very narrow and curvy. Great for tents and small RV ‘s. Enjoy!

A Great Campsite for a Relaxing Stay and a Sublime Beach

My girlfriend and I camped at Little Talbot Island State Park in February of 2018. The campsites were excellent, this might sound cheesy but it made me feel like a pirate camped on the beach. All the campsites are nestled into a sandy wooded area, and despite being quite close to one another they manage to keep a fair amount of privacy. The bathrooms were well-lit and in great shape, and all the campers we encountered were friendly so it felt very safe.

The campsites are set across the road from the beach and you can walk to the beach if you'd like. They have a breathtaking driftwood beach that is a short drive from the campsite. I haven't seen anything like it since, it has an almost eerie beauty to it. We traveled almost 14 hours to camp here, and we were very satisfied with the state of the park and campsites.

We had a nice stay in our tent. This campground is perfect for riding bikes and getting to the ocean quickly.

Wooded Serenity

Large well maintained campground. All sites are large, well maintained and site specific. Many have full hook ups. New family style bath house and an older bathhouse, both were very clean. Nice walking trails, plenty of playgrounds and very nice boat ramp and mini golf. We stayed on site 39 with a full hook up, small view to the river out back. Very private and large site with direct access to trail along the water. Site 11 has very nice water views but does not have a full hookup. Close to historic St. Marys and ferry to Cumberland Island and about a 45 minute drive to Fernandina Beach and Amelia Island for a nice day trip.

Very scenic, great for nice long bike ride or run.

we have camped there several times. The first time we were hanging out at the beach and a submarine entered the waterway from the nearby naval base. It was really cool. Restrooms and showers always clean and a nice campground store with the necessities

Relaxing

Only a few travelers sites, most are long term. It is quiet here, no cable, free WiFi. Convenient to everything and owners are very nice. Sites are just about level!

Perfect campground in a very friendly town

Very spacious sites, well maintained. Love the view, great sites, but as in most places, the noseeums were unbearable as we set up camp. Love the trails here, and you need to visit downtown St Mary’s and take the ferry to Cumberland Island to visit the Carnegie Estate ruins and wild horses. Second time here and will come again.

Fun park for families and great for large RVs

Given the size of the RVs, this looks like a great family vacation destination. For us, the attraction was Cumberland Island which is a 45 minute ferry ride from St. Mary's GA (20 minutes from the campground).

Some Info About the Sites

• There are many pull through sites which have huge gravel pads.

• Back in sites have long parking pads.

• The grassy areas accompanying each site are spacious.

• We ended up in the middle (see map) on #3 because it's what was available. I recommend you stick to the outside of the loops. There are more opportunities for shade.

• You'll be closest to the water at sites 39, 41 or 42. There are woods behind you if you stick with the area that includes sites 11-27.

Amenities

• Water and electricity at all sites

• There is a restroom behind our site (#3) that is set up as men's/women's restrooms with 2 showers in each. One of the showers is handicapped accessible, but there is a nicer (newer) restroom across from site 48 and next to ADA site 46. There are 4 private restrooms (2 handicapped accessible) with toilet, sink and shower along with a laundry room with 2 washers and 2 dryers. The other restroom has a washer, dryer and utility sink between the men's and women's rooms.

• Dump station and trash dumpsters along with recycling bins

• Playground

• Golf cart paths

Fun Things To Do

• Visit Cumberland Island (see info below)

• Mini golf

• Bird watching - there's a bird blind for bird experts, novice watchers and photographers

• Boating and fishing on the Crooked River

• A few trails and an observation tower

• Nature center

Cumberland Island National Seashore: The only way to reach the island is via boat. A day trip via ferry from St. Marys is definitely worth the trip. You need to bring food for the day because there's no place to buy ANYTHING….really! You can get water in a few places, but we brought water to start the day.  Our 8 mile hike took us south on the island to the Dungeness Ruins and further south before we turned around and headed across the island to the beach on the ocean side. There were probably only a couple hundred people on the island, and we only saw a few people on the beach. We saw lots of wildlife (feral horses, snakes, deer, armadillo) on the trails and in open areas. We hiked through the Sea Camp campground which had beautiful sites. If you want to stay overnight on Cumberland Island, you'll have to bring your tent and all your food.

Want to go back

This is one of my favorite campgrounds in Georgia. The island is only accessible by boat, and there are a limited number of people allowed on the island daily which means it is never over crowded. Use the food boxes. Raccoons are nosy.

Beach Camping!

We literally were steps away from the beach. They also have shaded spots on the opposite side of the park off the intracoastal. We loved camping so close to the beach and you have to book these spots months in advance normally! FYI dogs are not allowed on the beach here. The beachside camping has zero shade and no privacy between sites. It’s only about twenty spots so it’s really fun at night when people are all out and about. Clean bathrooms and showers right in the center of the spots. We walked along the beach to the old fort one morning and just relaxed! Lots of trails too, beautiful drive once inside the park to the campsites too! Really close to downtown Fernandina and lots of good restaurants and put out golf!

Family Friendly Campground

So much to do here, so close to the beach. Great camp store which lots of goodies. Clean bathrooms and showers, and fun trails! Also, great shaded camp sites!

Sea Camp - Beautiful national seashore with limited daily visitors

Visiting Cumberland Island National Seashore requires some advance planning because you must reserve a site at Sea Camp, Stafford Beach, or one of the backcountry sites AND you must reserve a spot on the ferry from St. Marys that aligns with your camping reservation. Reservations can be made up to 6 months in advance and usually need to be made 5 - 6 months in advance for a site at Sea Camp.

I stayed on Cumberland Island in August and April. Months to avoid include July, August, and September because it is hot, humid, and later on in the summer - hurricane season! I did stay on Cumberland Island in August and the temperatures were record-setting hot almost everyday!!! The next time I visited I made sure to book the trip in April.

Sea Camp is a great way to ease into backpacking/camping/outdoor activities as it requires a short hike with gear to reach the campground but it is an established campground with (cold) showers and toilets and there are wagons available to help you haul your gear. In terms of packing, bring what you would bring for car camping but remember you are there to enjoy the beach and not to spend all day hauling gear from the dock to camp. After two trips, I've found that a backpack, cooler, camping supplies box, and chair are really all I need. Some campers bring showering systems to obtain hot water showers - I love the cold water showers especially after a hot day at the beach.

Once at Sea Camp, be sure to properly store your food inside the provided food cage AND make sure your food is properly wrapped and stored - ants can be problematic. If you have a cooler, you can buy more ice from the Ferry each morning at the Sea Camp Dock and you should plan to buy ice each day if you are staying for the hottest months.

I recommend a minimum of two nights but if you can stay for a week I highly recommend it. Staying multiple nights guarantees isolation and peace and quiet at night as the day visitors leave AND Cumberland Island is amazing for star gazing and staying multiple nights gives you a better chance of seeing shooting stars.

In terms of what to do - be sure to take a sunrise walk at least one morning - I took a sunrise walk and found SO MANY treasures washed ashore over a small area - I left them for others to enjoy but not until I lined them all up for a photo (see below). Also be sure to hike to and explore the Dungeness Ruins and make it a roundtrip hike by returning via the beach.

Finally, if you are only there a few days I would stay on the southern end of the island but if you are there for a more than a few days I suggest renting a bike (from the Ferry operators) and biking up to some of the other historical areas on the island.

In preparation for your trip, I highly recommend reading Untamed as it tells the history of Cumberland Island and the stories of some of its most famous residents.

Finally, be sure to hike some around sunset to see armadillos and wild horses.

Fantastic Park!!

Great place! Had a great time !!

Great! Shady sites! Water options!

We really enjoyed our stay. Our campsite was shady, clean and everyone was friendly. Close to the ocean, easy walk to the beach, I found a sharks tooth on the beach for my grandson. Fishing availed too.

wild horses, windswept beaches, and dilapidated mansions

What a truly unique gem of a place! Wild horses running on the beach (and all over the island). Be sure to bring/rent a bike so you can explore all the interesting sites along the islands trails. The ruins of an old mansion look like a much older archeological site. There are bathrooms and running (potable) water at the camp, and you're allowed to collect/burn dead wood in the area (often a bit soggy- worth bringing dry wood). The bugs were horrendous -no getting around that I guess, though I'm sure it would be better sometime other than summer. 100% need to book the ferry in advance and avoid leaving valuables (or anything obvious) in the car when you leave it behind on the mainland.