Cumberland Island National Seashore, GEORGIA

Camping Georgia Cumberland Island National Seashore
Most Recent Cumberland Island National Seashore Camping Reviews
Hidden gem

Hanna Park is a great camping spot. The sites are generously sized and level. It's a short walk to an extraordinary beach that's never too crowded. At worst (4th of July?), walk a few yards from a dune crossover.

The park also has the best mountain bike trails in the area. Weekend mornings locals fill the parking lot at the entrance to ride, and the trails are empty pretty much the rest of the week. There are also hiking/running trails through the same woods to keep everyone separate.

Another biggie is the park has a gated entrance so you don't have problems with theft like some parks. The location is nestled between Mayport Navy base and Atlantic Beach, a tony beach town with several grocery stores, great restaurants and night life.

Large tent sites

Sites were very generous but also felt like an open floor plan, each sharing a boundary with another. I wouldn’t want to have the same site during the busy season. There are just a few sites that are surrounded by woods on three sides. Our site backed up to the bird sanctuary which was nice for some privacy. Bathrooms were clean and as it is primarily an rv park there was never a wait. Laundry facilities were great to have. They boast a walking trail to the beach, expect it to take 25 minutes. Camp store was helpful for basic supplies, water and ice, but did not carry food. We extended our stay primarily because of all the island has to offer. Both driftwood beach and the fishing pier are very close. The dunes beach was a short drive and was full of sand dollars.

Beach + History

A few too many rules for me but overall a good experience. It isn’t terribly pet friendly but we were able to quickly tour the fort within the allotted 30 minutes we could leave our dog alone. Stayed in the river loop and the drive in was beautiful with overhanging trees and Spanish moss. Bathrooms were clean and well maintained. Site size was good enough for us and hammocks are permitted. Cannot speak to the Atlantic loop as dogs are not allowed. The beach along the river was a nice walk and accessible from our campsite. People often find shark teeth but we weren’t as lucky.

Must reserve online, rangers are only able to book same day reservations.

Awesome Clean Spacious

Another Great State Park in Georgia, Plenty of Room and Gorgeous Trails and Scenery….

Awesome Clean Spacious

Great views!

We came here when it was chilly and we scored a great spot w a view. I definitely want to come back when it’s warmer.

Great camping trip

I cant say how much I enjoyed my stay here. Easy check in, friendly staff,  plenty of privacy, hiking trails, fishing , boating and the cutest bunnies that I have ever seen while camping. Apparently the bunnies have been here for quite some time. I have read several post of the domestic / wild rabbits that wander the sites. I have to admit a few pieces of kale lettuce and maybe even a few carrots may have dropped on the ground. My wife took several pictures of them in and around the camp. If for nothing else these 4 legged critters made it a special stay. They also have some large raccoons wandering around at night.

Blythe island does not have the history or tourist attractions that neighboring blythe island has not do they have a substantial gate fee that Jekyll island has. I was actually booked for a week on Jekyll during their "shrimp and grits" festival. We booked via website and everything was set until they changed my spot to a small short space next to the gate. We declined  and luckily found Blythe island. Jekyll island said my camper wouldn't fit in a spot that was in excess of 40 ft. I'm not sure why but I'm sure glad they did. We had time to visit both islands and more. Fishing hiking and time around the campfire. Sites are fairly level and have Many trees. Be careful. We saw a few mishaps by over anxious camper who ended up with much more damage than the tree had. I have never gotten into people watching as much as I did while here. We are so use to checking for obstacles on the ground that sometimes we fail to look up. The trees are tall and most sites are well shaded

Water and electric was fine the sewer was set toward the front and about 15' away. The ground went uphill so water was in the hose the entire stay.  Not really an issue if you have good hoses. I dont think cable worked either but this is the 1st time to actually try to program it on my tv. Level sites are a big plus too. Trees between the sites are great and I actually felt private.

We hope to return and suggest it far over Jekyll for camping and visiting Jekyll to get more historical information.

Amazing

This place is beautiful! The $5 charge is worth it and more. This location packs fishing, camping, partying, playgrounds, waterpark, and a massive grilling area. You can rent canoes, kayaks, or bring your own. Do some geocaching or hiking while you're at it.

Private, primitive wonderland

Bring a bike there is so much of this island to explore. Go to see wild horses at mansion or on beach. Bring red headlamp to see Sea turtles at night. Have secure cooler for all foods raccoons are bad. Bring thermacell- bugs are bad. Beach is almost private. Campsites are awesome big and secluded. Have to catch ferry to get there or by your boat. Bring or buy firewood from ferry that comes 2 times a day I believe. Ice is sold from Ferry too. Needs planning but so worth it!! Short hike from Ferry drop off to campground. This place is a MUST

Close to beach

No privacy, but lots of beach to explore. Too busy for my liking, open, not private. With that said- if you want to fish or just explore beach, not too bad. On site bath/ shower

Close to beach, hike, bike, camp & tan

Mountain biking trails, hiking trails are short but sweet, fishing lake and off shore, walking distance to beach, lots of parking. Clean restrooms, showers, campstore. Can get crowded. Not a lot of privacy.

Was a great way to start our Full time journey.

This was our first site we hooked up to in our new RV which we are now living full time in. Very nice, quiet, safe location. Friendly staff. We did not stay but just over night as we had to travel 1400 miles within a week. But we will no doubt make sure it is on our list the next time through. Spacious sites!

Passport America stop $23 for 3 adults

This is one of the most beautiful and interesting state parks I have ever been to.

Camping near the river AND the ocean

There are not any full hook up sites. The river side of the campground has many trees and shade. The ocean side lots are small and out in the open.  You can pay 2.50 to tour the fort and small museum.  Definitely worth it.

Most beautiful camp spot!

This is a spot everyone should experience! The greenery is beautiful. We enjoyed waking around the island and exploring the old ruins. I definitely would love to revisit this spot and spend a little more time here.

So Beautiful!

We traveled for July 4th holiday with our two children. We woke up to the most gorgeous views of the Crooked River. The rangers were excellent during the nature education. We truly enjoyed touching and learning about local wildlife. While exploring, we even found a new turtle nest! An easy drive to the beach topped off our fun holiday weekend!

Lots to do

We went in January. It was record low temperatures. It was still fun. I explored the numerous trails. We paddled in the tidal river. The people in the bait shop were very helpful at helping us plan our route with the tide. There are lots of host campers, and they are "Johnny-on-the-spot" with their tasks. Not only is there adventures in the park, there is lots of nearby attractions. Don't miss going to Cumberland Island when you are there.

Great waterfront view

Military only park. Active, retired, or GS employee. Level spots. Little shade.

Have no complaints

Great park! Lots of trees for shade. Great variety of spots and sizes. My spot was not level. Needed extra stinky tube to reach sewer dump.

Fun for Everyone

We had so much fun camping here for the weekend with our family. The staff was absolutely delightful. Very clean with lots of fun activities like mini golf, pool, jumping pad and a dog run for your pet. They serve free waffles and pancakes in the morning too. We drove to the Okefenokee Swamp (about 30 minutes away)and spent a good part of the day touring the facility and learning a lot about alligators. Definitely want to return in the fall when the weather is cooler. If you are looking for a simple and fun weekend to just hang out with your family , this is a winner!

Awesome!!

Our camping experience was comfortable. Neighboring campers were friendly, the kids had a great time, it was walking distance to the beach, and the staff was helpful with all of our needs, even when the breaker blew on the electric pole. The only thing that i would even complain about would be the size of the sites. But we managed.

Good pull thrus for big RV's towing cars. Reasonable rates.

This campground was close to freeway access, had pull-thru camping sites, and nice shade. We stayed here a week while visiting family and liked this campground. The people were friendly and had a mixture of long term and short term sites. I will stay there again.

A Great Park

Crooked River State Park is located near the town of St. Mary’s, Georgia, and very close to interstate 95. The park is very well maintained and the staff was pleasant and informative. The campground is divided into two areas designated as # 1 and # 2, all accessed via one way roads throughout the campgrounds. Area # 1 is treed with tall Georgia pines but no ground vegetation for privacy, beautiful but very open. Camping area # 2 is very private with lots space and vegetation between sites. We stayed at site 58 in area # 2 which is equipped with full hook ups and a long back in site. Since we stayed there the park has included sewer to about half of the sites, all on Camping area #2. The bath houses were very clean and well maintained daily, the laundry facilities were the same. There are some good walking trails throughout the park and an active boat ramp with a small floating pier/dock on the River.

There are numerous shopping areas and restaurants within a few miles of the park. The Cumberland Island National Seashore is also nearby and accessible on by boat but worth the effort to go. The Cumberland Queen docks downtown St. Mary’s and has a schedule for departure and return for day trips, you will need to take everything you need as there are NO items for sale on the island.

This area of SE Georgia is known for its population of sand gnats. They are very active in the mornings and evenings when the humidity and temperatures are high. The locals swear by Soft Sense lotion as a deterrent but you will have to decide for yourself. This is a very nice park from our experience, a hidden gem that is often overlooked.

Clean and responsive staff

Had an issue with the shore power hookup box and it was fixed the very same day. Also great selection at the general store in the main office

We stayed one night, wish it was more! We had a site across from the lake. Nice shady site. Our 33 foot fit with room to spare. Has full hook ups. Restrooms were clean. Definitely would stay again.

Interesting Escape

If you want to get away from it all, this is the place! A few notes:

• Cash ONLY.
  • There are free range chickens everywhere. While we and the toddler thought this was cool, our dog was losing it a little.
  • The water is Tannic (dyed dark from foliage). It felt amazing because there are cool springs feeding it from below, but completely discolored our bathing suits, so be aware.
Great for kids

While we only stayed overnight I could see how, with all of the amenities such as the pool and giant slide, bounce pad, mini golf, etc., this would be a good stop for families. It is right off I-95 so the road noise is ever-present but it does diminish the further back you go. There are a variety of sites offered—some are gravel with a cute patio set while others are just grass. They are all pull throughs. The sewer hookup at our site (C14) was at an angle which made it difficult to keep the hose in when emptying our tanks, so poor design there.

Very crowded

You really camp “on top of each other” here. They squeeze in as many units as possible so it really doesn’t feel like camping. We found it noisy, dusty and rather unpleasant. We arrived about 15 minutes prior to check-in, but even though the site was empty and ready, we were kept out on the street until the exact minute of check-in, along with quite a few others. This is a rather ridiculous practice that makes check-in a long process. The park rents bikes for touring the island, which is a must, but it’s best to bring your own bikes. We rented 2 and they were wrecks; rusty, squeaky, brakes only worked part of the time. I had to return mine twice; the first couldn’t adjust the seat height as it was rusted solid, the second had the handlebars off-set, making steering very difficult, and again it was rusted and couldn’t be moved. Biking the island is a great experience. The historic areas are great, the beach trails are beautiful. Plan on a full day to see it all.

Need to check it out again

We didn’t spend a lot of time here but we liked what we saw while here. The staff was friendly when checking in. Our site faced the small pond and was quiet.