Blair, WISCONSIN

Most Recent Blair Camping Reviews
Great summer

We camped here almost all summer. Tons of things to do. Kids playground, golf course right next door, great bathrooms with running water. Large sites with trees for shade!

Large sites with play ares for families

Given our experience was on a hot and humid day, I would rate this as 3. However I’m trying to be impartial so I’m putting our temperature discomfort aside and giving it 4. The campsites are large and reasonably priced for an overnight stay.

Campsites are large- some big enough for multiple campers. Most sites have water and electric. Plenty of tall trees around for shade. The sites don't have vegetation between them but they are big enough to give you some room. Restrooms are spread around with one being a shower house.

The lake has boat access. Some kayaks were available to rent. Short hiking trails can be found(with such a large place we were hoping for longer hikes. Playground equipment was getting consistent use today.

Most sites have nobody in them - perhaps during the week is a slow time. There are some sites for long term camping that are clearly designated.

The drive through the touristy area had me guessing as to what this would be like. If simple camping is not your thing, there are a couple of resort type places right down the road.

Beautiful fall colors

Camp sites were well spaced and private. Staff was busy but patient and helpful.

Very Nice!!

Very nice campground!! The area has lots to do.

Would Recommend

Very nice area, camped in a tent at the end of September. Firewood had very easy access. The campground was a pretty large layout, but still easy to navigate. Nice hiking spots with amazing views. Bugs weren't too terrible, I maybe had two mosquito bites the whole 4 days, and that was before I put bug spray on.

Rentals for canoes and kayaks are available. Unfortunately, when I went the current was too strong. We could still rent one but they warned us that if we weren't able to make it through the current, that we wouldn't be able to get our money refunded.

There were signs posted that the drinking water cannot be boiled, nor can it be given to babies or elderly due to high nitrates. But we brought our own water anyways.

Tiny Campsites

The campsites are the smallest I’ve ever seen, everyone coming in remarked on how small they are. No privacy, the sites are very close together. We went the end of August during the week so thankfully there weren’t many people there. Firewood is cut up pallets for $6 a bundle. A couple of the hiking trails are really nice and the creek is absolutely beautiful.

Hiking Great - Camping OK

The campsite we stayed at was OK. Very close to neighbors and they were loud. Not much privacy but I am used to hike-in sites so that may be wear my feelings are steming from. MN Hiking Club Trail was very nice. Get ready to have wet feet though! There are two water bridge crossings and the waters were high when we were there.

Hike in Site - totally worth it!

Camped at the furthest out hike-in (this may have been a cart-in but we hiked it in - can't recall). Nice site on a small quite creek. Good space between you and the next campsite so you felt privacy.

Hidden Gem!

I've stayed at this park numerous times in their cart-in sites. The first two are lack luster since the campers in sites 3 and 4 will be walking right by and fairly close to your site. The last site (which I believe is four) is great. Fairly secluded, not a far hike and provides space for a tent and/or a hammock. Hiking in the park in nice but not a full-days worth. I would say this park would be nice for a arrive Friday night, pack up, hike saturday and head home.

Nice Walk-In site but bring your bug spray!

Very nice walk-in site right on the river. LOTS of bugs to the point it was uncomfortable so make sure to bring bug spray. Tent pad, fire ring and picnic table available. Trees available that are good for those who hammock.

Nice for RV Camping

If you are a tent camper, I would suggest going to local nearby state parks vs. this campground. Nice for a quick weekend away in an RV. On the Mississippi River and close to town. Across the street from a dog park so if you bring your fur-friend with, there is a nice enclosed area for them to run while being supervised.

Camped at Lake Wissota for 3 days. First time there and really liked it. Nice private sites and the beach looked great but it was too cold for swimming. Got in a canoe ride before the rain. No bugs I guess it was too cool. Bath house in bad need of updating which they're planning on but I've been in worse. Awesome park rangers. Did some local site seeing and I highly recommend lunch in Cornell at Dylan's Dairy. Had the best breakfast at Kelly Grill in Stanley across from the old depot. Nice get away despite the rain.

Beautiful park

Campsites are beautiful, each one seems to have unique qualities. We stayed in site 42, it didn’t seem to have very much privacy. I was also hoping for a view of the river but I couldn’t see it from the site. We found a dream catcher in the trees, so we made another one to leave. The tent sites along the river are amazing! Each one has a path down to the river. Site 69 has a private beach and it’s deep enough to swim in. For being a stocked river, we didn’t get a single bite all weekend. I only saw 1 person actually catch a single fish. We did a couple trails while we were there. It says Chimney Rock has “over 100 step” I think it’s 199 each way! We tried using the campground’s GPS units but couldn’t figure them out. Others said the same thing. We drove through the newer campground Minneiska, the pictures online made it look bare, but it was beautiful! It was a prairie full of wild flowers! The trees were newer but old enough to still create shade. There was an abundance of staff always driving around yet there was a bathhouse that had clogged up toilets all weekend long. There is also ZERO cell phone reception. Whether that is a plus or a minus, that’s up to you.

Diamond in the rough

Love it here. Quiet, rustic, well maintained place

Fabulous state park

We have a 30ft travel trailer and we had a tight fit into our campsite. But shady trees overhead and a nice fire pit. Best part about the campground are the trails! We had some stellar hikes, and there's kayaking nearby. Well maintained trails of increasing difficulty. Bring water!! We also saw lots of interesting wildlife, including a rattle snake at the top shelter. Trempaleau is a cute little town with great food at the Hotel and a bike trail for some distance. Like all state parks they are electric only. It took forever to fill out tank, so my only complaint was it took about 30 min per camper to get about 1/2 full with water. We used the pit and flush facilities. Skipped the showers and just went swimming instead.

Great Campground with Private Sites

You'd never know that your neighbor is super close to you in this campground.  The sites are really private with tall trees and lots of greenery/foliage between each site.  There is a lot to explore in the park.  The bathrooms are decent - we found quite a few bugs and frogs in the bathrooms but we didn't mind.

Fun and Family Friendly Campground

This is an amazing place for families to spend time camping.  There are so many different planned activities for both the children and the adults to participate in.  The campground is always clean and the staff are extremely friendly.  The campsites are huge with plenty of room between you and your neighbors.  You can rent a golf cart to get around the campground.  They have gaga ball, a bounce pillow, an arcade, mini golf, laser tag, swimming pool, skate park, playground, basketball court, volleyball court….the list of amenities goes on and on.  The theme weeks are all fun and well planned out.  You can even order fresh baked donuts on Saturday mornings.  There are even cabins for your non-camping family and friends.  This is one of our favorite campgrounds around.

Quiet and clean

The sites were well spaced and well sized. The sites on the river were really pretty but full of mosquitos. The sites on the other side are also nice and have a much smaller bug presence. There’s a little trail along the river you can walk on which is nice. This seems like an ideal spot if you’re looking to have a peaceful trip down the river. It was also nice for us just looking to relax in a quiet lovely area.

Quiet and secluded

Very quiet and secluded state park. Comfortable and rustic.

Very Noisy from frequent train traffic. Wouldn't recommend if light sleeper

This campground has two sections, north and south. The southern portion has been closed all summer because of flooding. We stayed in the north section in site 12, which has a small grassy overflow parking lot across from it. The campground is clean and very open. The campsites are arranged on both sides of a circle drive with trees surrounding the circle and some in the middle.

There is a play ground for the kids, but you need to drive or walk about half mile to 3/4 of a mile to it. It is located at the nature center. During our stay, they had a presentation on birds and our boys really enjoyed it. The park also offers a boat landing, which was clean and easily accessible. You could also bring your boat up to a walk-able landing near the north campground, but this is inaccessible by car. This landing did offer a sand beach, but I don't know that I would recommend swimming here because of algae. During our stay we were also plagued by little black flies, but the mosquitoes weren't bad.

The campground offered very clean restroom facilities with both bathrooms and showers at one end, near where we stayed, and at the other end there was a bathroom that offered pit toilets. You are able to tent camp or bring in a pop up camper or larger pull behind. I'm not sure that a large RV would fit in any of the sites, but a small one definitely would. There are specific sites that are reserved only for tents and some sites do offer electrical access. There are no sites with water access, but there are two water access points within the North Campground, one on each end. Roads in the park/campground are paved. The campsites themselves are not paved. They are grassy. There are no additional amenities at this campground.

While the campground itself is quiet and all campers were respectable, the frequency of trains and the loudness of their horns at night was enough to drive me nuts. Every time I was almost asleep another one would go past. I finally moved from our popup camper to our car, which blocked out enough noise to allow me to fall asleep. Because of the trains, we will not be returning to camp here. If you are not able to fall asleep right away or are a light sleeper, I would definitely not recommend staying here.

The rest of the park was quiet and did not have much car traffic. I am not sure if this was due to the fact that the south campground was flooded or if it always has few cars. I was able to run the length of the park without encountering many cars (3.8 miles round trip including running through parking lots in the park). I did not, but you are able to walk through the flooded section of the park. They are just prohibiting people from driving there. Close to fishing, boating, and unique shopping opportunities.

Nice camping area

The camp site was right up against a swamp area so it was kind of buggy, but it was a beautiful area with access to lots of hiking trails and fishing. The vault toilets were well maintained. It was a great experience!!

Great quiet campground!

Stayed here two years in a row with two families and we loved it. Bugs were sometimes bad but it was June in the woods in Wisconsin. Nice space and enjoyed the beach area with the kids.

Great staff!

Fun tubing! Campers are able to sit in the river and “help” tubers along :)

Great staff

We didn’t camp at this campground but we visited for the lazy river tubing. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We arrived just before the last lazy river trip started, the staff was clear that we would only get one trip down the river and we were fine with that. The tubes were in great shape, river was a little high but clear of fallen limbs ( for the most part) the woman who drove the bus to pick us up was amazingly friendly, you could tell she loved her job and it made you feel happy to be around her! Everyone had a blast, we will definitely go back!

Whitewater Hiking and Fishing

This park has a lot to offer in terms of hiking!  Many, many miles of trials from flat prairies, to rocky bluffs, to dirt wooded.  And some excellent views from the blufftops! We plan on going in the fall again to take in the colors!  Beautiful trout fishing river running through the park, even has a swimming beach!

Overall a wonderful park to day-hike, fish, and camp in!

Enjoyed stay - More of a permanent campground

We enjoyed our stay except nightly camping sites are stacked on each other so no privacy -  we heard the drunk neighbors all weekend long. Eventually left a day early, they were way too loud. Wonderful activities for kids and families, pet friendly, beautiful scenery, beautiful perm site, no room for hiking or nature walks. Bar on premises but very odd hours. Owners on site which was nice.

So.much.fun.

We stayed over memorial weekend with a group of friends. With 2 swimming pools, daily activities, movies, and a full ice cream shop you won’t be bored here. The owners were super friendly and helpful. If you’re looking to escape into nature, this is not your park. If you want full hook ups and a summer camp family experience, this is great. Our kiddo had so much fun at the pools, the top one is very large and new with a splash pad area. The lower pool is older and smaller, and where grown ups tend to go for a dip. The sites are split between full timer seasonal sites and daily campers. The site are all level, have a fire pit and picnic table. They are pretty open, so you’re close to you neighbors and little shade or privacy. All RVs here, some tents as overflow for kiddos whose parents are staying in the RV. Kind of pricey, but it’s worth the money for all the extras you get. Super easy back ins, plenty of space for extra cars or shade tents on the site. In the evening there was a Glow Parade where the full timers decked out their golf carts and drove around- candy for kids and lots of dancing. Bingo, tie dye, outdoor movies, and other relay races kept the kids happy and adults amused. Sunday night a jimmy buffet cover band played. A lot of fun and we’ve already booked for next year.

Hidden gem

What a beautiful & peaceful gem of a place in south eastern Minnesota! Came here knowing that besides the mini hikes and river/valley overlook views and birdwatching, there weren’t much activity, which we were fine with since we were just looking to relax. The views are breathtaking! The sites are a bit too close to each other, but do offer enough privacy. We saw a cardinal and 3 hummingbirds because they came to hang out right in our campsite! The fireflies at night were an added bonus!

Quiet rustic site right on the river

We were able to reserve site 120, right on the river.  It was a lovely site with a nice view, but little shade.  The sunsets were amazing here.  This campground is small and quiet, with minimal amenities.  The vault toilets were clean.  We saw some interesting wildlife too.  We purchased firewood on site, it was a bit wet and challenging to get started.  The ranger was super friendly on check-in.

Nicely maintained, family friendly

The campground was clean and well maintained, the staff was friendly, the bathrooms were very clean, and lots of activities for the kids to do.

We would definitely stay here again.