The best TENT SITES camping near
Coalfield , TENNESSEE

Most Recent Coalfield Camping Reviews
The RV park itself is awesome!

This park was awesome, beautiful views, rolling green grass, full hook up and partial hook ups for a decent fare. There is a lot to do nearby, it’s easy to get to the park and they have good cellular connection.

This park has 1 issue. Communication.

There are 3 reasons/experiences we will never return. There is a couple who camphost (fulltime RVers), and another couple who are the owners who live in a house on property. Pretty standard setup. Generally speaking- if you obtain permission for something from the camp host, you can reasonably expect that you have obtained the proper permission.

1. Arriving Early. Again- working, we called to ask permission to show up at 12:00pm instead of 2pm, communicated: if we could, we would like to not miss a full day of work moving the rig. Female who answered their only phone, said no problem, come on in, your site is open. Fantastic! We show up and the female owner of the park (we didn’t know who we talked to we just called their phone line)- was mad as hell that we were there early. We explained the screw up and apologized because it was a legitimate mistake. We thought that’s the end of it. Moving on.

2. We were there for 17 days, and needed to get a couple of boxes, one being our ballots to vote, one small package, and one medium size package. We again called the phone number, a female answered, gave us permission and told us the address. The first two arrive without issue. The third was apparently a problem with the female owner once again, even though the previous two packages- she never indicated there was a problem.

3. Booking- we originally booked 7 or so days and had to book more because of rain. We moved sites as they requested. Again - spoke to a female on the phone, no problem, y’all can stay until the 24th, this time she said “I wrote myself a note to tell the owner”. Cool, as a guest my work is done, all set. On the 23rd the female owner of the park came and beat on the door. My husband was at work. She was very angry, I was very confused. She asked when we were leaving and why we haven’t left, still confused I replied we paid until the 24th which is tomorrow and we will be leaving early in the morning. This made things epically more hostile. She said I was inconveniencing her other patrons because they expected full hook ups. I didn’t know what my husband had done or who he spoken to, all I knew was that we were leaving on the 24th. So I offered to call him and get to the bottom of it. I had him call her to simplify things. She screamed at him on the phone which goes through his hearing aids. He asked her to speak more quietly so he could understand her. Apparently she has the camp host approve things or doesn’t communicate with the camphost well. Each of these 3 things had sent her over the edge. She wouldn’t calm down so he hung up, so she called back and left a scathing voicemail about how rude he is…

We will never return, the last thing we need right now when everything is chaos for 2020- is to deal with that.

Nice quiet campground but a bit cramped

This is for the eastern campgrounds. I had spot 4 and 20. Decent campground. Bathroom/shower needs work. No sewer. Decent att LTE coverage. Check pictures for wooden picnic tables. The concrete ones suck. Giant power lines through campground so need to head to dam for scenery.

OMG! O

We stayed for a few days and as a backpacker, the local hikes are some of the best I have ever seen! I would say most of the hikes are moderate, although some say easy. Grandma couldn’t leisurely walk, or scale some of the trails, so you have been warned. But for able bodied persons, the hikes are all doable. There are quite the variety of hike lengths to choose from, from short and squatty, to full day hikes. I’ll submit some of my favorite shots below. For RVs - I was towing a 21 ft trailer and my site at the bottom of the hill, which was away from other campers, but the grade was ridiculous! I had 6” of block height to level side to side! I heard other complaints from other longer tongue pullers as well, regarding the difficulty getting into their sites. Most of the sites are small, too close to other campers, or too close to the smell of the privies. But if you are hiking the area, I think the stay could be worth some of the hassle. There is a pull through dump station on the loop. There is electric and water. Tent campers - probably have plenty of room to spread out, some with power hookups and the convenience of showers at a central bathhouse. Daytime picnics - a beautifully large area to choose from and see. Lots of selections, all of them very well social distanced, family friendly and shaded with trees. Soooo much to see.

Sufficient

Super nice employees. Campsites very close together.  We had to move from the first because on either side there was no room for our slide outs.  We were very close to I 40 and the road noise was extremely loud…all day and all night.  I probably wouldn't stay again only because of the road noise.

First time Staying at a KOA

We picked this stop because it was a halfway point from our trip in Georgia to home in Ohio and it was easy off and on 75. It’s a small campground with only 37 rv sites, a primitive camping section and several small cabins. They offer a pool, dog park, laundry and game room.

It’s very clean and the staff was nice. We got here after hours and they had everything we needed at the check in with our names, site number and directions to our site. They also offer WiFi and cable tv.

There is not much to do in the park itself but it’s quite and close to town.

Well-maintained, quiet, restful.

Tight quarters, flat site, water and 30a electric but a delightful setting on the lake. Note a few late night train whistles and nearby highway traffic noise. JIC in case it matters to students or remote workers, there is ~no campground internet connectivity; you’ll need to walk up toward park ranger office.

Lots of Wildlife

The campground is right off loop road. Spots are a little close, and not very private, but you cant beat the location in the park. We saw 3 bears, a red wolf, and numerous dear and elk during our stay.

Nice Spot

Inside the state park lies this small campground. The views of the mountains are beautiful. Paved paths to walk through the park.. also we found a small hike nearby, triple falls. A beautiful little hike to check out. All the spots are gravel but it’s very clean and well kept. Very family and pet friendly place! Didn’t have them with me this time, but looked like a great spot to put in your small boat or kayak and fish!!

Beautiful Area

This campsite was a lot closer to town than expected. The campsites themselves were very clean and well kept. Beautiful views. It’s also a public park area, so there was some through traffic, but they’re not supposed to come through the campground. We overall really enjoyed this place and would visit again anytime of the year. Very pet friendly!!

Very nice people and staff

It’s only our third RV park, but I I can see why people like to drycamp/boondock. The sites are very tight, quite close together. The neighbor woke me at 2:00am going in and out of his RV just from the door closing. Across the highway is a helicopter tour company and it runs all day long, very noisy. On the positive side, the staff is amazing and so accommodating. We needed help since it was our first back in site. Scott was wonderful!!! He guided us in and got us leveled and ready to enjoy our stay. It had rained heavily the day before so the ground was very soft and one side of our rig kept sinking. He ran off to get a piece of wood that did the job to keep our tires from sinking so we could get level. Everyone is so friendly and welcoming. We back up to the river which is wonderfully peaceful. I guess there will be pros and cons to every park. The only reason we won’t be back is because we saw what we wanted to see here, and have along bucket list of other places to explore.