About Frozen Head State Park
No WiFi
Frozen Head State Park is located in Tennessee
21 Reviews of Frozen Head State Park
Lovely

Stayed in the developed camp area. (There is a primitive tent area along a creek branch and there are some primitive hike-in areas) Tennessee seems to have a thing for larger rock pieces in their gravel on tent platforms… otherwise no complaints. Fire ring, grill and table. Plenty of shade and trees to hang the hammock. Bathhouse was clean. 2 nice showers. Lovely hot water. One trail head at the camp area. Beautiful trails. Would definitely come back.

Best place ever

I love love love this park.

Absolutely Amazing!

This place was absolutely amazing from start to finish! The campsite is a little small, but well dispersed amongst the rest. We had plenty of shade thanks to the trees, and I honestly can’t think of anything negative about our experience here.

It was peaceful at night and the lightening bugs that took shelter under our rainfly at night looked like a spectacular star show. I’ve never seen anything like it before.

Bathhouse is beautiful. Weird to say about a bathroom, I know, but it really was. Gorgeous cedar stalls helped to cut any odors, the showers were equipped with cedar benches, safety rails for those needing assistance, and a mobile shower head to ensure you get all those hard to reach spots. They were cleaned regularly, and there was even a sink with a sprayer around back that made cleaning our camp dishes a breeze.

They have a book barn!!! It’s a small building full of all kinds of different books you or your kids can borrow to read while there, and return when done. This was so cool to me and a rarity. My kids loved it and read every evening.

There is a large playground near the camp area by a creek, with a bathhouse, pavilions, and picnic area right across the park road.

So many cool trails that ranged from easy to difficult and were well marked. Take the S Old Mac trail to see an old dynamite shed about 0.4 miles in. Take the interpretive loop to walk across the beautiful wooden bride, or cool off in the ice cold creek below it with easy access.

They have two trails that lead to falls, and are relatively easy to hike. There’s another trail called the storybook trail that has lots of pictures and information to stop and read along the way.

Frozen Head has a rich history tied to the historic Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary that once housed some of the most dangerous murderers, rapists, and all out criminals in the US. You can visit this abandoned prison roughly 20 mins away in Petros, TN and even talk to some of the former inmates.

And last but not least, the Rangers were amazing! They held so many activities for the kids and were so patient with answering their questions. Even the volunteers we would encounter were kind and full of information.

Loved loved loved this place!

Breathtaking

Smaller standard campsites but laid out nicely and not over crowded. Bathhouse is beautiful with cedar stalls. Lots to do with the hiking. Waterfalls were beautiful and everyone we talked to was super helpful and nice. Grounds are well maintained without taking away from the natural beauty.

Excellent place

Not a bad place to camp out, great trails, waterfalls, and location. Will definitely have to revisit

Tucked away behind the state pen

Clean and quiet. Good hiking. Fun spot near home base.

Super family friendly

My kids and I love this place! It’s very family friendly and has several playgrounds. There is easy access for the kids to play in the brook and hiking trails are nice and simple with various lengths for any age hiker.

My new favorite place

Recently stumbled upon this hidden gem. We camped at the Flat Fork site. Having the creek running through camp was amazing. The hiking was good but we didn’t explore too much. We are planning our return to camp at one of the back country sites.

Just Amazing!!!!

This was my favorite spot we camped in all year! They lock the gate at dusk, so make sure you arrive earlier or you won’t get in!!! You can reserve your spot, they have plenty of room between sites, there’s some good hiking, the creek runs through so you can hear the running water all night. Bathroom were immaculate, they clean them religiously. Can’t say enough about this gem!

Excellent campground and people.

Secluded campground with some of the best employees you could possibly ask for.