The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
Patterson Springs , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Patterson Springs Camping Reviews
Happy camper

It was our first time camping as a family and now we wish we could camp every weekend!

Amazing

Friendly staff, nice view, little small places for big rigs, but I would recommend

Wonderful family campground

Just spent the weekend here and loved it! Great place for kids with jump pad, swingset, slides, climbing dome, pool, a creek to explore, hiking trails, and more! We planned to explore the area (Chimney Rock, Lake Lure) but ended up staying the entire time in the campground. Just a beautiful new place, very relaxing. We will definitely be back! Would be a wonderful place to plan a group trip due to the variety of accommodations (RV sites, treehouses, remodeled campers, pods, tent sites, etc.).

We have been pretty happy with our stay

Great little spot for a family get away. We came in late after leaving another place down the road that was just awful. They waited until we arrived even though it was after the office closed.

They have a lot of little activities during the day and even for the family. We would stay here again, I just wish it was a little cheaper ($57 a night full hook ups)and it would be nice if cell phone service was better as there is pretty much one bar everywhere you go in the camp ground for Verizon.

Wonderful Park, Strenuous Hiking

Camped 9/25-9/27 in the family campground. Stayed at site 13. Super clean bathhouse which was very nice. Shower stall with doors instead of just curtains. There is a sink for dish washing in the back of the bathhouse. Dumpster is at the end of the large parking lot. The river is wonderful to listen to as you fall asleep. There is 0% service in the campground. No carriers had service so be aware.

Hiked to the top of Chestnut Knob and that was a very strenuous and beautiful hike. You will have service at the very top of the hill to call/text family and friends. You can start your hike right from the campground which is another bonus so you won’t need to drive to a trailhead.

Note: Bring firewood with you! Once the visitor center is closed there is none available and the campground has been picked clean of all available logs and sticks.

Overall I would definitely come back to camp and hike again. Beautiful state park!

Great tubing and camping.

I've been going here for years for the tubing experience. They have both primitive and rv camping. A store and many other amenities.

Great hiking and awesome views.

Lots of trails to choose from. Beautiful views. Lots of history. Visit here often.

Great Gold Mining Campground

I love this place I go here allot. Amazing views and lots to do.

Nice views.

Have been there many times had some great times there.

Hidden Gem

We were looking for someplace to stay near Hickory and we stumbled upon Indian Springs.  I was a little nervous about making a reservation because they only take cash or check, and my research indicated the campground is hard to get to. However, this campground seemed to be the best location for the weekend and they had a site available, so we decided to stay.

I'm not going to lie, Indian Springs is not easy to get to. The road to the campground is easy to get to from I40, it's the turn onto Whitener Drive off of Costner Road that is not easy. Whitener Rd is fairly steep, but it starts off paved so it's not too bad. However, as we approached the campground's gate the pavement turned to gravel. When we got to the gate, we called to obtain an access code (we used the same code throughout the weekend). After going through the gate, we headed down the gravel driveway, toward the campground. At the bottom of the driveway, the road levels out and you turn into a flat, secluded valley in which the campground lies.

Check-in was simple and the pull-through gravel site was easy to get to. The site was fairly level, and the electric, water & sewer were well maintained and easy to access. Verizon cell service was excellent because there is a tower close-by. I wasn't sure about WiFi because the Indian Spring's website warns you not to expect much because it is free. That said, the WiFi was the best service we have experienced in the last 3 months on the road. It was fast & reliable, probably because the campground was not overcrowded, and it seems the people who live their full-time have their own service.

The campground was quiet and well maintained. You can tell the owners really care about their property. Also, there is a path to the nearby river and the dog loved spending time in the water.

Exiting the campground and driving up the steep hill with the camper in tow was a little challenging, but we made it out without trouble.

If you can handle driving up and down the gravel road, you will love this campground. It is definitely a hidden gem, and one of the best experiences we have had. We will definitely stay at Indian Springs the next time we are in the area.