The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
Gilman , MINNESOTA

Camping Minnesota Gilman Standard (Tent/RV)

Most Recent Gilman Camping Reviews
Quiet State Park No Hook-ups

If you like quiet/off the beaten path sites, this one is awesome. Walk in sites as well as drive in. Great (but small) swimming beach, large lake with great fishing available. No hook ups and no dump station. Sites are spaced far enough apart to give you some privacy.

Great campground!

We loved this campground and this area!

We have site 1 which was right on the lake. We were able to park the camper parallel to the lake which was amazing. Such a beautiful view!

The owners and staff were great. They have a small market and a game room. The resort was clean and well maintained. There is a beach. You can also rent water toys, boats and pontoons. You can also bring your own boat and rent dock space. There are several docks you can fish from if you want.

So much to do in the area and this resort is right in the middle of it all.

Good stay for a couple days away

It was the spring of 2020 and COVID was just a thing that would soon pass… The family needed a little break from the new daily grid of quarantining in our home. Working and schooling full time from home was a new and somewhat novel thing we were all adjusting too.

Pokegama Lake campground provided a good weekend away from from the Twin Cities. Since social distancing was in place we only talked to the staff on the phone. Check in was efficient and ready for our arrival. Our first site was beautiful and in the trees as requested but the site had our sewer uncomfortably in the front yard of the our new weekend neighbor who was already there. We gave the office a call and they set us up with a pull thru site just across the road without hesitation. Our site was level and the full hookups worked as expected.

We are not golfers but would have taken advantage of the course if we were.

Not much to do in the area but that didn’t dampen our weekend. Not sure we would spend more than a long weekend here.

There was a boat launch across the road for those looking for a place to to get out on the water with their water craft. A good portion of the campground was occupied by seasonal campers. Not currently our cup of tea but it looked it full and busy. There were some sites that were well cared for and some that could use some TLC.

We would camp here again.

Great campground

Nice campground with amenities, pool and water play area for kids. Nice on-site store for any needs. I have a small travel trailer that is self contained so I could reserve spots down by the river. Ability to go tubing down the river. You can even get pizza delivered by the local Chanticlear Pizza!

I give it a 4 star only because twice I ran into the same group of people that thought it was ok to open up their vehicle doors and blast music well into the night. Owner warned them the first time but quiet time isn’t until 11 pm. 2nd trip, I just packed up and left.

Sunset Hike

Tent camp here once and a while, but finally got around to officially doing the hiking club trail. Love doing a sunset hike, this trail is just over two miles, all along the river, with pretty much continual sunset views if you take the trail East to West. It's a loop, which is always preferred I think. Nice picnic area by the river. Historic signs describing the old town are along the beginning part of the trail near the picnic area. Kinda fun to read about and feel what old settlements were like!

Easy and pretty trail, took just half an hour, went with the kids. Just an awesome sunset walk and a bit of moonlight!

Historic town site great biking trail

Great state campground, good hiking trails, Paul Bunyan Bike Trail passes through park(120 miles long).Crow Wing town site interesting. Sites pretty close together.

River Life for the Win

I live close so I visit frequently to use the trails for running.

This park boasts an amphitheater, trails along the river, a group center, an historic site, decent bathroom facility, and spacious camp sites.

The electric site area isn’t super awesome, as it gets crowded and is more like a huge group camp. But the rest are way more private.

One thing missing is tent pad areas- still grassy and flat enough to truly be NBD, BUT, always nice to have a designated surface.

Great access for canoeing and kayaking the Mississippi water trail. If you start at Kiwanis Park in Brainerd- you can make it to crow wing in four hours leisurely, or three fairly easily.

Nice trails, good parking, good shower facilities, and pretty trails.

Nice, but not amazing

We arrived at 2pm on a mid-October Friday afternoon and were shocked to find just two open spots. Our spot was along the side road that cuts through the campground so not on the main loop which I think led to there being fewer cars. Overall, there weren't too many spots that I thought looked amazing, but none of them looked bad either. It felt a little rundown, even by state forest standards, but for us that was fine. The road into the park and within the campground is awful, so especially if you're in an RV or towing a trailer, be prepared to move very slowly. But we had a nice two days, went to the lake/beach area which was maybe a 15-30 minute hike away, and also hiked on the other trails a bit. We have a 3 and 1 year old, so didn't make it far :) I don't know that I feel a need to return to this place, but I was happy with our experience.

Great place

Lots of walking trails , well groomed. Camping spots were large and specious.

Mice, Mice, & More Mice!!!

Okay so this state park is beautiful. The trails are wonderful. The campsites and campground are great. Except… I camped here in a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and mice essentially had their way with every part of my vehicle in one night!!! I have a topper and a built-out bed in the back. It was chilly and I had the truck shut—the cab as well as the tailgate and all windows. Still, when I woke the next morning (and for days and days afterward) I found mouse poop EVERYWHERE. They got into plastic bins, duffel bags, backpacks, stuff sacks, etc. Their nasty little feces were found in food, on towels, in the cab, in the bed, in ONE OF MY HIKING BOOTS!!!! Disgusting. Now, my friend who has a 2019 Tacoma said he heard them scampering around in the wheel wells of his truck and crawling all over trying to find a way in, but they did not succeed. I guess because my truck is older and has more tiny spaces they can crawl through, it got the treatment. Anyway, just beware because they knew I was coming and their diseases-infested poops I am still finding weeks later!!!!