Fox River Estates , ILLINOIS

Most Recent Fox River Estates Camping Reviews
Commerical, but not packing them in

This is a very popular campground. Lots of big rigs who seem to be staying for quite a while. Our relatives recommended this one since some of their friends use it for "the summer." A very nice, well manicured campground. Though a commercial-style, it does not feel like it. Sites are well spaced. Full trees around the perimeter, but not a lot for shade over the campsites. Water and electrical at every site.  Very easy in and out, for any sized rig.

There have been 2 murders here

I have to admit that I’ve not camped here, but I just downloaded Dyrt and was looking at local sites around where I live and saw this campground posted and felt I needed to be very clear about the conditions here. I’ve driven through, and it’s quite frightening. Just Google the name and read the news articles to get a clear picture of what this place is about. It’s not safe, clean or anyplace someone should camp.

Not what you’d expect

More of a yard style, open camping. No privacy. Lots of kids everywhere. No alcohol allowed. Packed during the day at the beach. Ok trails.

Some really nice spots

The area has lots of RV and Campers strewn about- but the tent spots are spacious and right along the river. I camped there on a great night in early November and had the whole place to my self. Quiet, beautiful, and the staff was very nice.

Nice

clean, private, tree-covered sites, often campsites are available on busy camping days! nice folks work here also :)

Fishing and Boating fun

Love going to this campground. Always nice and clean. Bath/showers are very clean with hot water. Nicely kept grounds with a beautiful lake for dock and boat fishing. You can rent boats and they have a nice camping store. Downside, not too many other things to do. Long drive to get into town and not much there but a gas station and grocery store.

Nice park

Sites are narrow and long. Nice for camping with a few families in adjacent sites. Well kept and newer shower house. Some trails for hiking.

Fall Camping at Shabbona

We have been to Shabbona a few times, and have always had a great time!  We really enjoy their pontoon boat rentals and fishing.  The view from our site was great.  Appreciated the little path behind our site that lead to the water.  My kiddos enjoyed hiking throughout and catching frogs.  I was disappointed that the water was already turned off (the lady at the store said she thinks it was due to covid??).  It was also disappointing that the camp store closed on a Saturday, didn't give notice that the last day to buy firewood was on Friday, and then it would be first come, first serve.  Because of the water/campstore closing I did give it 4 stars instead of 5.  My husband said the latrines in Canvasback Cove were "decent".  The main shower house with flushing toilets was clean.  Sites are not very private, but the fall colors made up for it.  We did name the tree our camper was under "baby spider tree".  Oddly, our last day we woke up to TONS of baby spiders all over our campsite dangling from the tree… pretty gross, but we can laugh about it now, lol.  Overall, we will be back next spring since it is a close campground.  May try a campsite in the other circle.

Nice spot & not far from Chicago

You can tell they’re trying to remodel some of the sites. There is lots of grass so all the rain this weekend and we weren’t muddy was awesome! Big park with tons of spots. The pull throughs were really long. We like dispersed sites so we wouldn’t have like this park ‘in season’ when it’s packed. That being said we’ve already decided this will be our first stop when the season starts again! Water pressure was steady. Power was consistent. Bathroom/shower/laundry rooms were all very clean and well maintained. We couldn’t reach the WiFi from our site but it was good closer to the lake. They also have free TV but we didn’t hook up to that. Having a sewer hook up on site was a welcome change to our typical state park sites we frequent. The road has lots of dips and bumps but going slow they weren’t an issue. We were on the main road and there was lots of traffic going back and forth which was surprising since there wasn’t a lot of campers. They have a huge lake with paved paths that we were able to walk the first night (not raining) and the beach looks like it will be fun to enjoy in the summer.

Nice park, lovely new bathhouse

We live near Chicagoland so staying at big foot beach state park is an easy option for a short weekend get away. Minutes from downtown Lake Geneva, this spot is super quaint and easy to get to. We were right by the new bathhouse and it was really nice!