Camping in Penitentiary

546 Reviews of 82 Penitentiary, Colorado Campgrounds

K
Reviewed Jun. 16, 2021

Great secluded area

Very cute and quaint. Host was friendly and nice.

Keri P.
Reviewed Jun. 15, 2021

Beautiful!!

This was such a beautiful and peaceful campground! We were lucky to get there before dark so we could see everything. Nearby there is a military base that plays music in the evening and morning. Very easy to find our site and get setup. We loved it here!

J
Reviewed Jun. 12, 2021

Not for campers

Camp area was more for unhoused people in the area. I was camping in my car and the site was a walk-up, so I couldn't use it luckily. The facility did work with me and put me in a non-working RV site by the tent area, but someone pulled on my door during the night. The sink in the shower area was…

Mike D.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 12, 2021

Great, Secluded, Quiet

We had a great time with our family camping here for a long memorial day weekend.  really friendly staff, clean facilities, and very close to Salida! Was a perfect weekend.

M
Reviewed Jun. 11, 2021

Gorgeous views but some drawbacks

The valley this campground is in, is flat out gorgeous.  Amazing boulder mountains and tall pines make for stellar views.  Sleeping with the sound of the river was also awesome for the whole family.  But, it isn't perfect (depending on your site).  We reserved site 21 b/c it was right next to the…

SiteSite 21
JThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 10, 2021

Fantastic Family Park

Friendly staff that seemed to all love their jobs. They even went out of their way to be helpful. Very clean and well maintained park. There are a lot of activities throughout the day for kids. Convenient location right off the freeway. Our campsites were fully equipped with cement slab and fire…

Angel R.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 9, 2021

Small gem

What a great little spot to relax for a weekend. It’s quiet and because there are only ten spot it seems like your in a private oasis.. the host Becky and Kirk were great and so sweet.

M

Family fun!

Just got back from 3 nights at the Stoll Mountain campground. Our 2 kids and 2 dogs had a great time exploring the shoreline and fishing. Facilities were clean, rangers were friendly and helpful. Only complaint were the bugs, but might just be the time of year. Will visit again soon!

Alan B.The Dyrt PRO User

Very Convenient KOA near Colorado Springs

We spent several nights at this KOA. It's very conveniently located and provided us with a great site and full hook ups. it also has many amenities such as a very nice swimming pool.

Becca C.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 8, 2021

Not for tent campers or overlanding

Not a place for overlanding or tent camping, this site is strictly catered to RV’s. We had a “primitive tent” spot reserved for one night, but the site was not what we expected. You are not far at all from I-24, I mean maybe 200 yards? There is a house right beside the tent sites with a deck that…

Siteprimitive tent spot
Month of VisitOctober
Buddha S.
Reviewed Jun. 7, 2021

Was good for our family

We stop for 3 days and it was a good experience. No issues here. Spot was fairly clean no problem with neighbors or anyone else. Enjoy spot 20 very much. A quite little corner. If in area again I will use.

s
Reviewed Jun. 5, 2021

Loved this spot!

I absolutely loved this spot. My boyfriend and live in our car and travel all over and this was a top notch car camping spot with endless beautiful views. Plenty of spots for everyone, super quite with the occasional car passing.

Siterandom site
r
Reviewed Jun. 4, 2021

Well names

There was a lot to like here, and a few things I didn’t. The good: Small. Grassy (albeit uncut and loaded with dandelions. Very natural!). Sits on a rushing small river (Cimarron). Fresh pie every day sold in the campground store (it was very good!). Close to BCGNP. The owners own land…

Steve D.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 4, 2021

This campground is almost perfect.

The campsites have THE BEST VIEW! Private enough. Good breeze. Trails everywhere right from the campground. It’s truly a great campsite.