Camping in Monument Park

221 Reviews of 36 Monument Park, Colorado Campgrounds

Trent C.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 12, 2021

Great spot

This is not my type of camping and it is my first time staying at a KOA. If resort camping is your thing this one is clean, has showers, and pancake breakfast on Saturdays.

Greg R.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 9, 2021

Great for overnight, crowded

We love the place, some people took up a lot of space and blocked areas. Verizon was good 2-3 bars with LTE. Some gnats, had to go up a mile or so, to get a spot...1

• east
  • south
  • southwest
Site15ish
Fabe D.
Reviewed Jun. 7, 2021

To the Dunes

Staff very helpful. Not much privacy, tent sites kinda wide open. Killer views of the San Luis mountains just past my fingertips.

• just outside the Great Sand Dunes N.P. & P.
Jordyn M.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 5, 2021

Quick overnight in passing

We really enjoyed the drive along the Enchanted Circle, vert pretty, super scenic. We pulled into Ponderosa Campground around midnight on a Saturday, and there were plenty of spots available, with easy self pay station. Woke up to some beautiful views!

Site12?
KThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 4, 2021

Beautiful Views

I wasn't expecting to pay a fee, since it's managed by BLM. The fees were humble, though. $11 a night for a single camper. The campgrounds were great. I was able to get in early and pick a good site. Table and fire pit on site. Bathrooms in walking distance, and seemed to be well kept. They do seem…

SiteSite 11
Marie W.
Reviewed Jun. 4, 2021

Very WINDY! BYO water

I wouldn't make a point to come back but wouldn't avoid it. We camped here for proximity to the sand dunes, obviously, which I'm sure is the goal of those of you reading this review.

The road driving up is about 20-30 mins and pretty rough/bumpy. All sorts of cars made it, just know your…

Blair S.
Reviewed Jun. 3, 2021

Don’t trust Dyrt directions

I’m sure there is beautiful camping in the area because it’s gorgeous out here, but after having to camp high up on an extremely rocky trail, I learned 2 lessons:

1. Don’t enter at night
  2. Don’t trust directions via Dyrt + Google Maps
l
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2021

Free with fishing/hunting license

Pretty much tree-less, but picnic tables have shade structures. Windy. Great place to watch sunrise over the great sand dunes and mountains.

• sunrise from the campground
Month of VisitApril
Aaron M.
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2021

Very nice campground with full RV hookups

This is a great campground with top notch amenities. We enjoyed the laid back time we spent here looking at Fishers Peak. Nice to be that close to the lake. One thing to keep in mind, from the campsites there isn’t great access to the lake, you’ll need to come in From the East entrance to the park…

MThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 30, 2021

Nice camp area

Close to highway in a canyon. Can be noisy at times. Small river with trout. This is a state park with a camp host.

D
Reviewed May. 30, 2021

Nice facilities

Stayed one night. Staff was friendly, informative and helpful. Enjoyed the camp ground which was well maintained and I will definitely stay again when in the area.

Sitesite 15
C
Reviewed May. 26, 2021

Solid Campsite

Camped here after visiting the sand dunes. Fire pit and picnic table was nice, and having a bathroom nearby was also helpful. Not much to use for fire making so be sure to bring firewood if staying here.

WThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 23, 2021

Crowded and cramped

If you're jammed up for a place (Sand Dunes CG fills fast), decent overnight. But nothing else to recommend. A mile up the hill has nice views but is rocky and difficult to find a level spot. Would not return unless I had to.

maria R.
Reviewed May. 22, 2021

Beautiful free spot

Entrance located between mile marker 3 & 4. The road is, I think, actually a really nice dirt road for about the first 1-2 miles in. After that the road turns into bigger rocks, I was definitely not taking my 2wd van up. Beautiful spot, the weekend was busy but it wasn't a problem for me and it…

EThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 16, 2021

Alamosa KOA

This campground has everything you need. Trash pick up, firewood delivery pick nick tables and fire rings at every site. There is a well stocked store with ice, propane, firewood etc. We showed up on a Saturday and there was rock painting and $2 ice cream for the kids right next to the playground.…

• View of playground/store/cabins and some sites