Joseph City, ARIZONA

Most Recent Joseph City Camping Reviews
Great Place to Exlore

This is a great little campground 2 miles outside of Winslow Arizona. It’s in the middle of a state park that has two areas of ruins. One area is located about a mile from the campground. The campground has all the amenities. There’s good distance between each of the RV sites but there’s no shade since this is grassland. This is a wonderful place to explore.

Cell Coverage: Outstanding

Nice but make sure you don't have a shared site!

Great place with lots to do for just about any age! Camping, dry or with hookups.Some of the pads are made for two campers though, which means the other camper could be less than a foot away. That's fine if it's family/friends, may not be so nice for someone you don't even know. The lake is nice with kayaks, canoes, and paddle boards for rent. Heard fishing is also great, with catfish, walleye, trout and bass.Lots of piers, as well as the lakeshore that you could fish from. And a boat ramp if you have your own boat. we really enjoyed all there was to do on the water!

WOW, WOW, WOW

Just stunning!! Beautiful trails and gorgeous overall. A lot of interesting information at the ruin sites. We stayed at the campground and enjoyed watching the sunset.

Great place to camp overnight.$18 for tents, running water, smallish trees, restrooms with flush toilets, extra fees for electrical hookups. The fees keep the hobos away.  I-40 and the train tracks are close enough to hear in the tent, but not loud enough to keep you awake.

The bathrooms are wiped down everyday as well as the showers which are in decent condition. The water is hot and water pressure is great.

Be careful driving in, they've filled in the cracks in the roads about a mile in, but after that there are decent sized cracks going the whole length of the road left to right. Smaller vehicles didn't seem to have a problem. But we had to drive very slowly in our RV.

Great spot for a break from Interstate 40

Very nice RV park within 2 miles of I-40 near Winslow, Az. Park has about 35, nicely spaced RV pads on asphalt. Very nice restrooms with excellent showers. Many pads with electricity and water. No sewer but they have a free dump site at the entrance. Each site has planted trees and fire pits. Exploring ancient Indian ruins is a great addition to your stay.

Amazing experience

It’s an easy hike down from the painted desert inn down and into the wilderness. Permits are free and easy to obtain. Ask for a wilderness hiking booklet as well, it’s very well made and can help orient yourself in the vast wilderness as well as offer hiking options and specific destinations and points of interest.

Once you’re out there - you’re out there! No amenities and you only have what you packed!

Over priced

33$ for a primitive tent site

Wonderful getaway

We have camped at a lot of the Arizona State Parks and Fools Hollow was one of our favorites yet. Everything is very clean and well kept. We stayed in Mallard 8 which has full hook ups, great shade and views of the lake from your campsite. We were advised to go up the channel for fishing as during summer time they rent boats at the boat dock and that scares the fish up stream. We fished with both powerbait and catfish bait. Had success with catfish.

Show low is 2 miles away if you forget any essentials.

Little oasis

This is my second time here It is a great place to stop and spend some time

Great place

Super nice hosts, very clean facility… stayed here in Aug, couple nights. Lots of restaurants, things to do nearby.. will definitely stay here again…. lots of amenities…

Best camp ground ever

This campsite was fabulous. It was probably one of the cleanest campsites I have ever been in. They keep the grounds well-maintained and the showers and bathrooms were spotless. We were there the last week in June and it was full. You definitely have to make reservations far in advance. We were lucky that we were able to reserve (two nights) a spot right on the lake. Our car battery died, the camp host was very helpful and gave us a jump. We are definitely coming back!

Two Places; I preferred the paid side

I really loved these camping spots at the South gate of The Petrified Forest National Park.

There are two locations across the street from one another, one paid, one free. We stayed on the paid side, as it was evident to us they were well cared for.

Hosts were very nice. I hope to stay again in our way home. Gift shop has some lovely specimens of petrified wood.

Outstanding campground, convenient, clean and quiet

This was a two night stop for us on our way home in late November.  We wanted to see Meteor Crater, so this was the perfect stop.  We were very pleased with the campground.  It was literally right off the I 40, but you can't really hear the freeway.  The grounds are spotless, as were the showers and laundry area.  There are two dog runs right on site too.  The store has the basics and souveniers.  The owners run a tight ship, so it was quiet all night and day.  It's a great overnight stop, and there were a number of people who literally arrived in the dark and left before dawn.  It wasn't hot when we were there, but I imagine it gets really warm in the summer.  Thankfully, the campground has full hook ups, but little shade.

We will absolutely stop there again if our travels take us that way.

Great camp in the Ruins

Not much out there in Winslow AZ, but the ruins are a must if you're in the area. If you want to camp for the night, I recommend staying in the campground. Even though you can see the hwy, it's far enough that you don't hear the noise and you get a great view of the Flagstaff snow peaks. For $25 we had water, electric, picnic table and firepit (they don't sell firewood) Although we had a firepit, we didn't use it because Winslow should be called Wind-not so-slow! Crazy how that wind whips across the desert. The camp host was very nice and helpful. There is a path you can walk over to the visitor center (it's a little over a mile hike). Bathrooms were very clean, didn't use the showers, so I don't know. Satellite dish, had no problem with reception, wide open spaces. Verizon phone worked great

Great sites

We stayed  here over a holiday weekend and had a great time, felt a bit out of place as we have a pop-up and everyone else was in RV's. The sites are all clean well maintained with decent tree cover if you book ahead.  Town is very close by so shopping is easy seems to be a bit of an older crowd in town but nice people. We will make this a stop when it gets to cold in Colorado.

Overpriced!

I stayed two nights here to visit the Petrified Forest. The tent sites sit packed together on the perimeter of the park overlooking the highway, which you can here all night long. This was the most expensive campsite I’ve visited on my road trip, yet they were unable to provide me with a charcoal grill and the fire ring was filled with garbage.

The facilities are clean, at least they have got that right.

Amazing camping experience

It was amazing how beautiful the view was. Had the lake right night to us. The wind was blowing perfectly. There was an amazing trail to walk next to the lake. The bathrooms were close to our camp site. Convenient to go at night since it had lights to lead the way. Also had a chance to shower in a clean bathroom. Will definitely be back.

Shake down

We did our sharks down here last weekend. Super clean and well maintained, very friendly staff and neighbor campers

Clean campsite near wonderfully preserved ruins

The campsite itself is simple, clean and quiet.   Due its location, its easily accessible and the sunsets and sunrises are wonderful.  If astronomy is your thing, the view of the night sky is spectacular.  The staff are friendly and knowledgeable.  As I stated earlier, this campsite is simple, no frills, but as a tent camper with a dog, this location was great.

Gravel parking lot

Stayed at a FHU PT for the night, on my way to the Petrified Forest. The sites are gravel, but not well maintained compared to other campgrounds that are all gravel. There was a lot of machinery and work equipment laying around. The staff was very friendly and the shop was very well stocked. A little overpriced imo.

I love this place

Awesome scenery. But the camp ground can get very busy. The site are ok in size but some sites are very close together. There are showers and flush toilets if you are into that. To get to the lake from the tent sites you have to climb down a pretty steep rocky hill or drive to the day use area. We fish for catfish and have caught a few here but also got skunked a few times. I've stayed here June July and October. Dont really recommend fall really windy cold and rainy. But not not many campers that time of the year.

Secluded and gorgeous

Dispersed Camping was wonderful here. Permits are available at the visitor center. We walked down into the wilderness area behind the painted desert Inn. Beautiful views, an easy hike out, and no one else around

Awesome but not too far out of Show Low. Lots of trees and activities

Campgrounds have clean bathrooms with showers. Most spaces are not too close to your neighbors. If you reserve early enough (up to 6 months in advance) you can get some very premium sites. I recommend the “Ruddy Duck” or “Red Head” loop sites. Kayaks are also available for rent. Most sites are full hookups

Off the beaten path

The lake is beautiful as all the Rim Lakes are. The terrain for the sites is very rugged. The lake requires a downhill hike of less than a mile but the way back up is strenuous for most, especially if you are carrying a boat. If you have an ATV, I highly recommend bringing it. There are 6-8 campsites above the lake but if you boat to the other end of the lake you can also pitch a tent there (which I have yet to do). Because the lake isn't easily accessible, it's usually pretty quiet here and you'll only see some ATVers or fishermen and women. If you want to make use of the lake by meeting the challenge of getting watercraft down and back up, then camp at this spot. Otherwise, it's a long way out just to camp 3/4 a mile away from a lake.

Free and lake view

The campground is free and you can stay 14 days, they offer a nice spot with a picnic table, grill and possibly a fire pit. Sometimes working bathrooms but they worked when my husband and I stayed. Pretty view right near the lake, fishing and when the weather is nice you can swim too! On rainy days the top spots get really muddy and kinda flooded. Nice paved road access but spots are on dirt (upper) or pebbled (lower - better when it rains and is right near the lake). We would definitely stay here again. Camp host very nice. No water, sewer, electric or WiFi but signal on my phone was perfect (Verizon).

Ranger Review: RoM Women’s Altitude Hydration Jacket at Fool Hollow Lake

Campground Review

Fool Hollow is right on the outskirts if Show Low. You literally drive through neighborhood streets to get to the entrance. The first ¼ mile of roads within the park, you also drive along a fence that backs up to private properties. Do not let that “fool” you though… when we got to the Osprey loop within the campground you would have had no idea town was so close! The scenery is a mix between forest and high desert. There were plenty of pine trees but still the occasional cactus. All of the roads through Fool hollow are paved. There are plenty of dumpsters and trashcans available.

The spaces in the Osprey loop were fairly close together. We had loud neighbors and heard them all night long. This surprised us because the Quiet Hours are 8 pm to 7 am and we were right across from the host but they never said anything. That being said we saw the host drive by once or twice in the entire 3 days we were there. In fact, when our not so friendly neighbors left on day 2 they left the site trashed. The host did not come to clean it up until day 3 after another camper had stayed in the site and complained about it being dirty. Another notable item for Osprey is that while the spaces appear to be waterfront on their website there is a 20-foot drop off between the sites and the lake. I think this is worth mentioning in case you have small children or actually plan to go to the lake.

I know our pictures show us in a pop up trailer but this summer Fool Hollow updated their policy and pop up trailers are now considered “RVs” and cannot be in the tent only sites. We were grandfathered in to the space because we already had reservations but if you plan to visit with a pop-up be sure to book in an RV space.

Fool Hollow boasts some of the most modern bathrooms I have seen at a campground. There was a coke vending machine and an outside sink. Our building had three women’s and three men’s bathrooms. For each gender, two also contained showers. I did not use them because it was really cold and there is no electrical to run a blow dryer so I didn’t want to be stuck with wet hair. However, I did see campers use them and after talking with them, they said they are always hot. Unfortunately, if hot is not your thing there is no temperature dial on the shower so you are stuck with the water at whatever temperature it comes out at. The bathrooms were well lit all night. So much so that if light pollution bothers you I would not suggest getting a space near the bathroom.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time – on this trip I tested the RoM Women’s Altitude Hydration Jacket. This jacket in particular is one of the prototypes that RoM had. From what I was told the sizing on them will be a little off from the final product so I do suggest reaching out to customer service if you have questions on sizing. With the prototype I chose a Women’s Extra Large. I’m around 5 ft 8 in tall and wear an 8 or 10 in women’s jeans. This jacket was an excellent fit on me in the torso, arm length, and overall sizing. I had just a little free space around the hips and was able to move freely without it being too big.

The jacket’s unique feature is that it has a built in hydration pack holder that routes through the jacket. I thought this was going to be one of my favorite features but it ended up being the thing I disliked the most about it. The hydration bladder sites on the inside of the down layer so if you have cold water in it you then have a cold hydration bladder only a thin layer of material away from your back. This seemed a bit counterproductive because the jacket is WARM and if you need a jacket that warm you likely do not want something cold pressed against your body. When the hydration bladder was full it also pulled down on the back of the jacket and kept making the front ride up. The drinking tube routes through the left side of the jacket and cannot be routed through the other side. Generally speaking you shouldn’t put warm liquid in those bladders but you could use the pocket for a hot water bottle instead. Again, you will be battling the weight but it may keep you that much warmer.

The jacket was extremely warm. When we arrived, it was in the upper 60’s and the winds were around 25 mph. My clothing was warm enough but the wind was cutting through so I decided to put the jacket on. I ended up in a tank top under the jacket and it would still get warm enough that I’d need to take the jacket off periodically to cool down. It got down into the low 30’s and I was comfortable wearing this jacket with a long sleeve shirt underneath. As far as wind resistance, this was probably the jackets best feature! The sleeves and hood can zip off and I was worried that the wind would still come through the zippers. They have put this awesome rubber cover over the zippers and no wind got through at all!

The inside of the jacket has four small pockets. Three of these pockets have no closure at all (no Velcro, snaps, or flaps). They are also not very large. I’d imagine they’d work great for a chapstick, small wallet, etc. The fourth pocket has a material flap closure but nothing to secure it with. It was large enough to fold up the hood when disconnected but then there was a lot of bulk in the chest of the jacket so I did not use it like that for long. The sleeves have Velcro around the wrists to tighten them as needed. The Velcro seems to be of a good quality and should not get fuzzy after repeated use. One thing I would have liked to see on this jacket was something to tighten down the hood around the face. With all the wind I had the hood blown off quite a few times because there was no drawstring or bungee around the face.

RoM’s website does not specifically state the jacket as being waterproof but makes mention to wearing it in the rain so I figured I’d test it out. I made it about 10-15 minutes in the sleet/snow before I started feeling the moisture seeping through on my shoulders. The shell is Polyester and seems a little water resistant but I would definitely not call this jacket waterproof.

There were a few loose strings around the jacket where it looks they had finished seams and did not tuck the tail in so I cut them off and had no issues. The only seam that seemed to “fail” was the one on the bottom of the right exterior pocket. When I was unzipping it the zipper it went through the stitching at the bottom and came off the track. It is an easy fix and with a few stitches at home it won’t be a problem again.

The jacket doesn’t have written washing directions but does have the symbols for Machine Wash Cold and Lay Flat to Dry. I ran it through my washer on a cold cycle and laid it out to dry. It took about 24 hours to dry out completely. All of the down filling seemed to stay well in place and there was very little “balling” or “bunching” in the sections.

Overall, I am happy with this jacket as a cold weather jacket (especially if there is going to be wind). It was very lightweight and easily kept me warm into the 30’s. If you are looking for a waterproof outer layer I would suggest passing on this jacket because it really did not hold up to extended water exposure. Also, while the hydration pack was a great feature in theory it isn’t set up in a way that made wearing the jacket while the bladder was in very comfortable (because of it pulling the jacket backwards) or warm (because of the cold water being near your body). I may just end up using the hydration bladder pocket for a few light snacks or my wallet when I am out.

FREE Camping Right Outside Petrified Forest

I am just like everyone else, I LOVE a good FREE campsite and along the way I have learned about so many of them, but in two trips by this one I didn't know it existed then BOOM there it was and I suddenly questioned how I had passed by it and never known!

Sure like all good campsites which are free there are a few negatives, this one being that there are ZERO amenities. NONE!!! But when I had attempted to camp in the petrified forest there weren't any there either so no big deal.

So how did I miss it?? Well upon first glance it just looks like a picnic area with some covered tables next to a gift shop and there isn't a welcome wagon just rolling out to say "hey come stay here". it is one of those places you have to know is there to know it is there if that makes any sense.

A fellow traveler told me about it and when I glanced I noticed some boondockers there but then upon a more careful evaluation there were tent campers in the distance. SCORE!!

If you aren't able to camp without then this won't work or you at all, but if you are ready for an adventure then here you go, close to the park and perfect for getting in those early morning sunrise photos. We always wonder how they do it… well this campsite is a BIG reason some of the photographers are there for those amazing money shots.

TIPS:

• Come prepared, you won't have a store with all your extras until you get into Holbrook so be ready for anything.
  • Don't get to close to the residents, they give you the stink face but you have every right to the land, if you don't believe me, do your research on the BLM website!
  • Take your camera, you will want to make sure you get your late evening and early morning shots that are once in a lifetime.
Rough Solitude

This is a small very primitive, four space campground off the beaten track. The three nights I stayed here in September, I was the only overnight camper. The place mostly seems to be a parking spot for day trips down to the lake--although even that consisted of one or two parties a day. The pit toilet was a bit stinky and the one side was piled high with trash (really people?); like I said, way off the beaten track even for maintenance crews. The silence here was stunning-- only interrupted by the bugling of elk.

A hot desert gem

Stopped here on my grand Route 66 adventure this summer. I really liked this park for several reasons. 1. It’s convenient to Route 66 (and Hwy 40); 2. It’s close to Petrified Forest National Park, which is pretty cool to explore on its own; 3. Free showers!!; 4. The campground is set back from the main park so you have a bit of privacy from day trippers; 5. Tent sites were level and well maintained (mine was raked!!); 6. All sites seemed to have hook-ups whether you needed them or not (maybe there were tent only sites, but it was all one price so no big deal); 7. The park has some great trails for hiking; 8. There is ancient pottery shards everywhere (don’t take it! Leave it for everyone to enjoy); 9. Free showers!!; 10. Not too far from Winslow, AZ, where you CAN stand on the corner.

Overall I enjoyed my stay here, though I got in at sunset and left shortly after the main park opened at 8am. This might be my only negative about the park. The main park and the best attractions don’t open until 8am (a ranger actually comes and opens the gates), which is much later than I tend to get moving (up with the sun and all). And with the heat of the day starting at 9:30, it’s hard to get to the sites and get in a good hike before it’s too hot.

Very nice!

This campground is great if you’re trying to check out the Petried Forest! The campground is clean and the staff are friendly. We stayed in the two person cabin with a bathroom. The bathroom looks like it was just added and it’s really nice! It is a walk-in shower so it is handicap accessible. The campground also offers an all you can eat pancake breakfast that is great. Would definitely go to this campground again.

Fantastic Summer getaway for Groups

Located High on the Mogollon Rim 60 Miles NE of Payson. This large group campsite is perfect for family reunions, school trips or Scouting activities.

With 6.5 acres of fenced in Campground it's perfect for the kids to safely play all day. With campfires, shelters and vault toilets you have everything you need for a cool getaway form the AZ Summer.

Bring Slacklines and games and you're all set for the weekend.

We're already talking about next year.