Dennehotso, ARIZONA

Most Recent Dennehotso Camping Reviews
Must visit

The views are spectacular. No amenities

Appropriately named

Just like the name says, there are some amazing views from this campground. They have lots of options, tent camping, RV spots, and cabins. My family stayed in one of the cabins on the cliff on our way up into Utah. The views were beautiful and unreal. They were a little pricy, but I’d say it was worth it for the scenery.

There are some really cool hikes in the area too. Definitely check out Goulding arch and wildcat trail. The slot canyons in the area are pretty cool to see. Also, there’s a lot of cool Native American history to learn about in the area. This was an awesome place to hang around in for a couple of days.

River View

We stayed in site 8 and literally could have gone for a swim from our site. The sites are too close together for my liking, but we were the only ones at the campground. The pit toilets were clean (and not smelly)..The sites all had fire pit/grate, picnic table and flat spot for a tent or RV parking. The highway noise was a bit annoying, but not unbearable.

The sunrise over the river was incredible!

It’s all in the name.

Pros: The view. Duh. Unbeatable. Near everything - guided tours, visitor center, restaurant, showers all within easy walking distance. The desert sand is nice and soft!

Cons: Tent sites are separated from RV’s which is nice but put together in such a small space that sites are literally on top of each other. For not even a picnic table 20$ isn’t cheap.

Serene beauty at it's best.

Dispersed campsites off the side of the trail gives many options to get the best from this area.

Surreal beauty

I can't say enough how much i loved camping at The View.

We arrived at the campground at 11:30pm and were so afraid we'd be unable to register or find our site in the dark, let alone set up our tent. Luckily, if you arrive after 10:00 or so, you can register at the hotel on-site. Staff is incredible helpful. Apparently we were not the only late arrivals; quite a few seemed to be setting up and/or showering when we arrived. And lucky for us, a high, bright moon made it easy to see and get around, and provided one of the most majestic views of the rock formations i can imagine. We kept the tent fly off to enjoy the views all night.

Parking is a few feet away from the campsites; you'll have to carry your gear in. Be aware that there are rattle snakes and scorpions in the area. Staff warned us to close bathroom doors and tent doors behind you.  We saw a snake in the morning, but it did not look like a rattlesnake. Security circles around at night, which was comforting for me.

No additional costs for showers, but you do need a bathroom/shower code which you receive upon registering. Water drains slowly, causing slight flooding in the bathroom. Don't forget some shower shoes.

It felt like most families woke up early for the gorgeous sunrise, packed up, and left before the August heat set in. By 9am, seemed like everyone was gone, so we got to enjoy some solitude before the 11am checkout. Might not really be the type of heat one can camp in for multiple days.

There's a trailhead in the campground that goes near the cabin area and down into the valley. There's also a loop drive with unbeatable views. Campground lives up to it's name!

Views for days

Free primitive camping with amazing views. No facilities. Pack in and pack out. Plenty of spaces to chose from.

Nice campground on the banks of the San Juan river with petroglyphs nearby.

Nice and quiet, has shade trees on A loop. B loop had a few flooded sites. Has potable water and pit toilets. Great stop over between four corners and monument valley/ Grand canyon.

Best RV campground in area with access to Monument Valley and

Stayed at the RV park when visiting Monument Valley in May.  The campground is with 5 miles of the MV entrance.  Clean restrooms and great sights.  Even a few hiking trails off the back of their property,  They also provide complimentary transportation to their grocery store, John Wayne Movie theater, Restaurant and Museum/souvenir shop.  Sights were level with water elec and sewer.  Large washeteria and basic sundry shop on location.  It is also a great location for visiting Mexican Hat, Gooseneck Turn and other regional attractions.

Expect it

Nothing is really going to jump out at you here and really say that it’s amazing or breathtaking. The view during sunset are probably beautiful but we were here on a cloudy day so we didn’t see much of that beauty. The campsite for us was a little run down and it was very dirty, which was probably just the wind. Close drive to the park and going around is so many hikes.

Nice quiet dispersed area

To find this, go north out of town and go right (east) on Mexican Hat Rock Rd. Bear left at the only fork. Road ends at the San Juan River and the suggested spots are before it ends, near the river. After sunset it was cool on a hot day, and the river made for nice foot-washing. There are several pull-outs that make decent camp sites. No services of any kind but it’s close to town and there is a decent cell signal. And the night skies are lovely, as is The Rock.

Incredible!

Stunning views from every angle. Hike-in for tents but drive-in for campers & RVs. Sunsets and the stars are breathtaking. No pets (at least for tent sites), clean bathrooms, walking distance from hotel/restaurant that they have on site. Must reserve online for peak seasons. If going to monument valley, I highly recommend stopping here!

Every Fathers Day

I have been coming to this site for the last 20 years. Took my dad there. He loved it. And this is where he had his ashes spread. So every Father’s Day my son and I make a trip here. Primitive. No amenities. But it spectacular view of the valley below.

Awesome

Great place to stay, Breathe Taking Views, Dont Miss A Chance To Stay a Night or Two

Beautiful and convenient!

Nice, easy to find campground with beautiful views!!! Wish I could have spent more time here to explore a bit more, but I have no complaints! No campfires allowed, but grills are provided on site. Loved our time here!

Great views, can be windy

Spent 3 nights here in 2 different locations. Loved it. Quiet, dispersed areas. Dirt road is well maintained but when it gets wet it can get muddy quick. Your on a cliff so winds can pick up. Plenty of spots for various sizes rigs. Great place to just enjoy sunrise or sunset. I've seen a few couples in tents so the wind is not that bad I guess.

Enjoyed it

My 1st stay was early February 2019 and it was 18 and 30mph winds. The van was rocking but I slept like a baby and was the only one there. Stayed again late April 2019 and it was full of RVs stacked against the edge so I parked away from them. Quiet night, warm, not windy at all. Just full of those pretentious RVers with their website plastered all over their rig taking selfies. It's quit the comedy to watch them shoot video(I presume for YT) never going further than the tourist plaque.

Quick stop

Making my away around the four corner states, needed a quick spot to pull over for the night. There’s nice secluded spots and then there’s areas for groups. Was able to let my dog off the leash and roam our campsite. There’s bathrooms about a half mile or less walk depending how far you park. Awesome sunrise and sunset.

Beautiful but no fire rings

In most senses, this camp ground is great. Sunset View offers a beautiful setting, a camper service sink, flushable toilets and drinkable water. The only downside for me is the no burning except charcoal and propane stovetops. No fire rings is a no-go for me.

Beautiful but no fire rings

quiet and scenic

This is one of my favorite, lesser known camp spots and areas to explore. Valley of the Gods sits in southern Utah near Mexican Hat. The area is somewhat of a small Monument Valley. The views surrounding the campsites are of spires, towers and red rock cliffs. The best part? There are usually not many people here.

The valley and camp spots can be reached via Valley of the Gods Rd which connects highway 163 and 261. The roads can be hard to find as you will probably drive right past them. Valley of the Gods Rd is all dirt and is about 17 miles long. The drive itself is very scenic, be aware during rainy season the road can get very flooded and low clearance cars will have a hard time.

Camp spots are anywhere you want, most of them will be right off the road. Flat spots, pull offs and rock fire rings will tell you if someone has camped there before. The valley is overseen by BLM so there are no fees to camp, on the flip side of that, that means there are no toilets or any kinds of services. Some people prefer camp spots this way.

I have seen small 2 wheel drive cars to large RV's and Trailers on this road ,but like i mentioned earlier, there are big dips here and there and the rains can flood them. Use caution upon entering the Valley. Overall, amazing spots with equal scenery.

FREE!

Small visitor center, water and restrooms, and three self-guided hiking trails. Beautiful area to explore.

Sunset View Campground is a very nice free campground that would typically cost at least $20 per day. During my stay, most of the campers arrived early evening and departed early morning so the campground was empty each day.

Stay limit is 7 days per year.

Perfect jump off

We arrived early on a Friday and met the cheerful helpful rangers at arrival. They were very helpful and gave us directions to campsites as well as info about our checkout for our river trip on the San Juan River the next day. Campsites were clean and close to the boat ramp but also allowed for seclusion. We set up our hammocks n site #1. A short walk away was the Sand Island Petroglyph Panel. Very cool and well maintained. Our kids met us for the night and enjoyed a night camping with our darling grandbaby. Loved the area and will return.

best kept secret in AZ

This is a fantastic campground, with water, facilities but not overrun with people, and it’s free! I stayed here on a lark a few years ago and we wound up staying two nights and visiting the Betatakin, which is a free ranger lead ruins tour. This time I went back to backpack into Keet Seal, which was amazing and the stay at NNM was a perfect way to start the trip.

No shade but very convenient

We visited Memorial Day Weekend. The campground was empty because it was HOT. The campground is a basic dirt field with only a few small trees. We took the site that had trees for shade. Each site had a picnic table and fire pit. The campground has a cute history and fun touristy things to check out… and it's convenience to Monument Valley is superb. Although the views from our site were less than desirable, the rest of the campground offered picturesque scenes of the nearby "monuments."

Hidden Gem of Arizona!

First: it’s FREE! No cost to camp at this gorgeous national monument with facilities! When we visited in June, we were among a small crowd of campers. We have a tent and we were very comfortable under the Northern Arizona sky.

Great views

If you get to the campgrounds early enough you can set up a tent at the edge. This way you will have a clear view of Monument Valley with no other tents or distractions in the way. Restrooms are clean and close by, so you can walk to them from the campsite. However, it was a little noisy at night because you're camping near the parking lot and some people come late in the evening to set up.

Great Campsite!

I camped here for a geology field trip with NAU. The following day we got a tour of the monument which was awesome! I loved the hike in and out. The campsite itself was scenic and quiet.

Oasis in the desert

Free pull in spots great for catching some zs while driving through. Beautiful landscaping and nice restrooms. Cowboy camped here on the way to Moab.

Amongst Gods!

Truly breath taking loop. This is a dirt road loop. There are sites where you can post up for the night but there will be no running water, bathrooms or anything that will make you feel like human society is around! If you’re like me and love that then this place is truly magical!

Even if you’re not stopping to camp at least take the time to drive through it.