West River , WYOMING

Most Recent West River Camping Reviews
High Altitude Camping

Nice campground at 10,500 feet above sea level! Very rocky terrain. No electricity or sewer for RV's. 2 water pumps, which were shut off when we were there end of September. Lovely sounds of the North Fork Little Laramie River. Hiking available. Apparently used a lot by 4-wheelers; quite a few buzzing around the 2 days we were there. Recommended as another place when all the other campgrounds nearby are filled up!

Absolutely amazing!

We came upon this site just by chance and I’m so glad we found it!! It was after season so that means no water and no bathrooms, but that’s ok, we had our own water and our own shovel and TP! It was mostly hunters (less than 10) and the nicest couple in the world from MN. The site was extremely spacious and comfortable! It did get quite frigid but we survived, and had an incredible experience listening to the wolves go crazy a couple times! We will certainly be back!

Spacious sites. Stayed in off season so no services, but no cost either. Had a moose walk right through our camp and go down to the lake.

Great place for gravel and mountain bikers to explore!

There are a ton of gravel and off-road opportunities for bikers. Pay attention to the trails rules because some trails do not allow bikers, so obey the trail rules. Some of the off-road trails are also shared by horses so be respectful of space. I met some friendly riders during my exploration ride! The campground is also close to a paved road, which could be a fun road ride tour. The snow-capped mountain views from the campground are beautiful! There are some more private campsites that have a dispersed and primitive vibe even though you are still pretty close to the running water and toilets. There are gravel roads that connect the different campgrounds which would be fun for exploration and introductory gravel riding. If you are not reserving a spot ahead of time, make sure that you show up early (before noon) in the busy summer season because the spots fill up quickly.

Nice National Forest Campground

I’m giving this 5 stars but my review still comes with a warning. Campsite #9 is next to the outhouse and you can definitely smell it when the wind blows or if it is getting heavy use. That being said, you are camping in the high country. I used my campsite to day hike trail #63 to Lake Helen and back. It was an 11.3 mile hike from my tent. I was not lucky enough to see any moose or elk BUT there was much evidence of both. People with campers that are on the large side definitely struggled to park and level them. This sometimes required help from multiple other RV folks that were already onsite. Just like the reservations say, you pack in and pack out your own garbage. Some campers were unaware. The facilities were clean and my camp was clean. The camp host was lovely. Wood is purchased from the camp host miles away at the Island Park Campground. It’s easier to stop on your 7 mile dirt drive up, than it is to drive 5+ miles down and back for it. I camped here in a tent alone. I felt completely safe and secure in my surroundings. I was the only camper that didn’t live in Wyoming. Generators are allowed until quiet time. There were a lot of bats to watch at dusk. The wildfire smoke sadly blocked the views of the night sky.

One night stay

Seemed to be geared towards people with RVs but my partner, our dogs and I had a lovely time. The camp was clean and not too loud. Seemed to have a decent amount of space between sites. Every spot was take. Not sure if it’s always that busy or if it was just Labor Day weekend popularity. We woke up to find a moose! They also have firewood for sale. They have a fire pit which had a grate to grill over as well as a grill. The stars on our walk around the grounds were insane

Absolutely beautiful

Camped here in July, our site had a path down to Meadowlark Lake. The trail and entire campground was surrounded by lupine and countless other wildflowers in bloom. The site was one of the cleanest I’ve ever stayed in. The bathrooms were pristine as well. Highly recommend.

One of my favorite High Country Campgrounds

We took a motorcycle trip from Missouri to Yellowstone and stopped here for 3 nights on the way. This is an excellent Primitive campground with unbelievable views.

Although it has minimal services, it makes up for it with the views. Make sure to wake up early and walk to the lake, there was moose hanging out when we were there. Even the drive into the campground is nice. The high elevation makes the evenings cool.

I would go back here in a heartbeat, if I’m ever in the area, I will plan to stay here.

Pros: Very primitive feel, nice toilets for being so far out, shady campsites with plenty of room,

Cons: The long 7 mile gravel road on cruiser motorcycles is a pain.

Beautiful area

This was our first trip to this campground. My friend reserved the site for us so we did not know anything about this area.

PROS -Very small campground-

Cleanest & best smelling toilets I have have ever encountered.

Lake at Campground

Great Hiking area's

Lake is clean & beautiful (Go for Kayaking & Fly Fishing)

Moose in area

CONS:

7 miles of Gravel road to get to Campsite -Very bumpy ride for 3500 ton Truck

Campsites are small. We have a 27 Foot bumper pull -No problem but some sites smaller & uneven. (Research your site)

No Camp Host on Site-Have to drive about 4 miles to buy wood bundles.

Dry Camp-No Electric

Dump Station about 13 miles away

Great historical private campsite with no amenities

Easy to get to and private campsite. A little circular dirt parking area was a good spot for us to setup our trailer for the night. There is enough space for multiple RV's or tent camping. There are no amenities but great views and privacy. There is no Verizon cell phone service and TONS of broken glass and there is ample room if you want to setup a tent, but there is debris in the area. Don't let this deter you from this FREE campsite as there is tons to see and do. You can hike up bluffs and walk through the old 1880's coal mining town. We would stay at this location again as its very convenient to get to if in route out west.

Youtube Link to video: https://youtu.be/ZDwd73Q1FOA

Check out our blog at www.unnadventures.com or follow our journey on facebook or instagram at Unnamed Adventures.