Shoshone National Forest, WYOMING
Most Recent Shoshone National Forest Camping Reviews
Had to stay two extra nights

While we were here we stayed in their small one room cabins that stayed nice and warm throughout the windy and freezing nights, decided to stay an extra two nights as the rooms were just that cozy. Overlooks a scenic little canyon that you can drive down to and watch for jackrabbits! Bathrooms and showers located nearby that were warm and private as well. We very much enjoyed our stay here.

Beautiful camping spot in one of the most beautiful spots in the country

This is one of my favorite spots in the Grand Teton area. It's one of the few that actually has a great view. Most spots in the Tetons aren't as accessible to the perfect views of the mountains themselves. Easy access. Great spot!

Small town big heart

The campground itself is right on the beautiful wind river. It is within walking distance to all the awesome town of Dubois restaurants, bars, and parks. It is quaint, private, and friendly. The staff does a great job and the campground is fully equipped and clean.

The fireside

I've always had a great time staying at the fireside. The views of the tetons are top notch and it's glorious waking up to them in the morning. The staff is great and like to have fun. They make you feel right at home and occasionally have awesome events at the small bar area and deck.

Brooks

Living only 20 minutes from brooks lake, I always make it a goal to camp out their every summer. The views can't be beat and the fishing in both the lake a creek is unreal. Just watch out for the local grizzly bears and enjoy this amazing spot.

Colter Bay Stole My heart

Don’t stay anywhere else but here in the Tetons, incredible views with excellent access to water and incredible sunrise views of the Tetons. 10/10 would do again!

Favorite Park!

I do my best to cross a few national parks off my bucket list every year, and Grand Teton is my favorite of them all. It is a busy area, and all sites are first come- first serve, so plan accordingly. We timed our arrival so we were there fairly early the day after many Fourth of July campers would be returning home. It worked in our favor, as the sweet woman who checked us in assigned us a spot in a quieter loop away from the RV areas (we are tent campers). Our site was spacious and among the tall pines. Each site has its own bear box which is fantastic and served as a great storage locker for all our gear. It was also in the shade and helped keep the ice in our coolers longer. There are restrooms nearby that are pretty basic, but include an area to wash dishes and get water. There is a fantastic camp store with a pretty amazing variety of groceries, including a fresh deli, ice cream, and quality craft beers! Shower and laundry facilities are available too. Jackson Lake is nearby where we took a boat tour that was educational & entertaining. We were rewarded with seeing some bald eagles and elk while on the ride. We also rented kayaks and canoes there for some afternoon fun. All in all, great camping experience in one of the beat National Parks!

Dirty and Noisy

This was the most awful camping experience we had in 10 National Parks. The bathrooms and sites were flooded and dirty. Sites were over-crowded. No privacy. The campground managers were helpless to assist, even when we reported domestic violence that went on for hours. The tkld is to call the police, but there was no reception in the park (4 other people were trying to call also), and the solitary payphone was disconnected. We left early, forfeiting our money, and went to Grand Teton. The only cool parts were the bison walking through the campsites and the black bear (Although we were told one had to be shot because it kept returning to the campground.)

Great fishing

Small but nice area. Be bear aware here for sure.

Scenic

Nice campground. Best outhouses in the state.

Kirwin, Wyoming (Ghost Town)

The ghost town of Kirwin, Wyoming is approximately 34 miles southwest of Meeteetse, Wyoming. It is recommended you use a 4WD vehicle as you have to ford the Wood River twice with the last several miles being rocky jeep trail.

In the early 1900s it had a population of about 200 people who mined gold and silver, but an avalanche in 1907 destroyed several buildings and killed three people, so the town was abandoned later that spring. The US Forest Service has preserved many of the buildings in Kirwin, including informational/historical placards.

If I remember correctly, there are three "campsites" -- meaning three bear boxes. You are just outside of Yellowstone National Park, and grizzly and black bears frequent the area. Last I knew there is also a wolf pact in the area. The campsites are on unlevel and slanted ground, so it's best to camp on the gravel bars. While there is a vault toilet on site, there is no potable water. This is a very remote site at an elevation of 9,200 feet. But if you can make it there, it is well worth the trip.

Breathtaking

Amazing time at this campground! The views are breathtaking. We truly felt like we were the only people in the campground, even though it was a highly trafficked time during eclipse. It was amazing and we hope to return soon.

A nicely located RV campground in Grand Teton

We spent 9 nights in Colter Bay RV park in a 30 ft travel trailer. It is a fairly large RV park, but still an easy walk from laundry, the store, the lake, and the visitor center. The sites were fairly level (the whole campground is on a downhill grade to the lake) and nicely spaced. We enjoyed being in the park, though on the north side it was a bit of a drive to Jenny Lake and Jackson. Overall, a pleasant experience and I would recommend.

A tight little campground in a great Cody location

Sorry no pictures for this review. The campground is tight. The playground is right next to the entrance without a fence. However! The location of the campground makes up for it and more. We could (and did) walk to downtown and the Buffalo Bill museum of the west. I woke up and went running along the river. We didn't spend much time in our campsite by design and it worked out great. There wasn't much road noise despite being right on the main thoroughfare. The souvenir ship/main office was nice. I would recommend.

Riverside Camping close to East Yellowstone

This campground was pretty great. Close to Yellowstone, but just far enough away if you know what I mean. Super nice Camp Host there to answer any questions for you about the area. Its a small campground, but affordable. $10 per night ($5 with an interagency pass) up to a 16 night stay. Nestled in the canyon outside of East Yellowstone. Fire pits, 2 pit toilets, and bear proof food boxes. Grizzly country, bring your bear spray.

good spot on north side of Jackson Lake

You can’t really go wrong in the Tetons, bc…it’s the Tetons. We base-camped here for 4 nights to explore GTNP. only regret is that it made for some long drives down to the southern areas of the park/Jackson/Teton Village. If we did it over, might’ve split with some nights in Gros Ventre or even Granite Creek, but CB was good for us. it’s a busy mini-town with tons of activity, people, and tour buses during the day. But we benefited from the showers and laundry. plus, you can usually find a quiet place somewhere on the shore of Jackson Lake.

the CG Is huge but empties out every day by 10am (it filled up only a couple of the nights we were there). our spot was a little more spacious, which the kids enjoyed. most sites weren’t much to look at, but walk a few feet and you’ll see Mt Moran over thr trees, which makes up for it.

Only complaint was that we were told when arriving we couldnt take a particular site that was open bc it was being held for someone. i told the guard i thought all sites were FCFS with no reservations? we took the site across from that one, and nobody ever came for the site we wanted.

Having big bear boxes at every site was really appreciated. Grants Village in Yellowstone had one box half that size that was shared by 5-6 sites—nope!

Crazy Woman Creek Campgrounds

Dispersed camping, very primitive but well worth the inconvenience, bring your own water and everything else you might need..

Free back county dispersed camping

Following the road behind the Flagg Ranch Restaurant/ Visitors Center and you will find backcountry campsite scattered in small groups of 5 and 6 along the river. Vault toilet, picnic tables, fire rings trash cans and bear safes are provided. No fires were allowed this year but the beauty of the mountains were enchanting. Park rangers stopped by to check for compliance to the 5 day limit and pick up trash, I was able to leave camp set up and go sight seeing and no one bothered any thing. There was fly fishing in the river and swimming was also possible, boating further up river, I stayed on the shore. People were very friendly and by day two we were all hanging out together watching the pelicans float down the river and fly back up together like a group of kids at a water park. It was amazing.

Great Staff! Very clean!

This campground is just outside Cody, WY. Easy access for people just passing through, just off a main road. They offer free pancake breakfast in the morning and a very cute store with almost every necessity for campers. tent sites, RV sites, cabins, and TeePees!

Packed in campsite

Most of the sites are walk on sites, with only one loop being dedicated to anyone with a camper or RV, so if that’s how you’re traveling I wouldn’t recommend this site, seeing as how the small loop was packed full of people. Sites are pretty much on top of each other, seeing as how I had to set up in the dark and saw three campfires within a 10 or 15 foot radius from where our tent was. The bathrooms are real plumbing, but they are not very well kept up, so it’s better than some of the outpost bathrooms most camp areas have, but if a clean bathroom is a deal breaker for you, I would also not recommend. There was a beautiful beach about a 7-10 minute walk from the site I was on. A little pricey ($30 nightly fee) for the amenities or lack thereof and definitely not worth the money for how close you were to other campers and their sites.

Very Public, and Expensive!

They have walk in sites as well as drive in sites, which is awesome for hikers and bikers. Unfortuneatlt since it is right near the park they do charge a fee of $40 a night which I personally feel is a bit steep. although, they do have running water for drinking as well as a bathroom with flushable toilets, and separate sinks for hand/face washing and dish washing. Staff lives on property, but personally I prefer more primitive sites away from people. if you don’t mind being up close an personal with a neighbor then this is a perfect campground :)

Primitive & Private

Just slightly past Crystal Creek Campground and it’s overflow, you will find many forest service roads. But this one in specific, right behind is one of the most primitive and private campsite service I have ever found. Besides the hustle and bustle of ATVs every now and again- there’s nothing but peace, quiet, and the soft hum of a river near by. There is a HUGE grassy area and I swear it’s one of the most beautiful campsites I’ve ever visited. To get to this campground you’d go down “Gros Ventre” road, where there are many campsites almost over a hundred. You just have to have a little adventure & willpower in your mind to find them. And also, don’t be afraid of being completely alone. Because that’s exactly what you’ll find camping here! I loved it.

Very friendly and clean

The owners helped take care of me when I had issues.very grateful for their caring attitude. Thanks so much!

Be Bear Aware

Pacific creek campground is at the end of a dirt road 1 mile past the entrance to Bridger Teton NP. We drove through but we’re not impressed so we opted for one of the 8 dispersed sites along Pacific Creek Rd. There are no services available whatsoever, however we found a beautiful place in dispersed #3, right by the creek and tucked back in the trees. we enjoyed the privacy, sunbathing nude on the gravel creek bank, and the beautiful surroundings until about 5:30 in the evening. We’d finished dinner and cleaned up and stowed our food and garbage and we we were sitting by the fire reading when a Black Bear came into camp. I looked up and it was about 15 feet away from me! I told it to go away and it eventually did but the threat of it coming back made us decide to bug out the next morning.

just OK

small campground. no potable water. Sites are somewhat small but large areas of natural flora separate them so they feel fairly private. One pit toilet which was odiferous in spite of the campground being relatively empty. we stayed 1night.

Beautiful, private and free

it’s a 42 mile drive out of Cody to this campground so it was relatively quiet with few other campers. there are only 6 sites, two of which had 5th wheel campers parked in them with no sign of the owners for the 3 days we stayed. the sites are large and far apart. there is one pit toilet which was remarkably clean for such a remote site. No potable water but a fast flowing creek ran behind our site so we had water to wash with after we boiled it. The only two drawbacks IMO (and they are minor) are that the road runs through the campground so there is a bit of traffic and directly behind our site is a horse corral which may have contributed to the abundance of flies. in spite of that, it’s a great place to camp. Beautiful, private and free!

great sitez

sites are set up with alternating hookups so you are not picnicking over your neighbors dump hose. most sites have a paved patio as well.

Gorgeous views

Great views of reservoir and mountains. Electric, pull through sites. Boat landing. Pit toilets. No showers.

such beauty

loved it here. The beauty in this area is breathtaking.

8/6-8/8/17- good, bathrooms not clean

The campsite itself was fine, bathrooms pretty dirty.