the dyrt
Shoshone National Forest, WYOMING
Most Recent Shoshone National Forest Camping Reviews
Kirwin, Wyoming (Ghost Town)

The ghost town of Kirwin, Wyoming is approximately 34 miles southwest of Meeteetse, Wyoming. It is recommended you use a 4WD vehicle as you have to ford the Wood River twice with the last several miles being rocky jeep trail.

In the early 1900s it had a population of about 200 people who mined gold and silver, but an avalanche in 1907 destroyed several buildings and killed three people, so the town was abandoned later that spring. The US Forest Service has preserved many of the buildings in Kirwin, including informational/historical placards.

If I remember correctly, there are three "campsites" -- meaning three bear boxes. You are just outside of Yellowstone National Park, and grizzly and black bears frequent the area. Last I knew there is also a wolf pact in the area. The campsites are on unlevel and slanted ground, so it's best to camp on the gravel bars. While there is a vault toilet on site, there is no potable water. This is a very remote site at an elevation of 9,200 feet. But if you can make it there, it is well worth the trip.

Breathtaking

Amazing time at this campground! The views are breathtaking. We truly felt like we were the only people in the campground, even though it was a highly trafficked time during eclipse. It was amazing and we hope to return soon.

A nicely located RV campground in Grand Teton

We spent 9 nights in Colter Bay RV park in a 30 ft travel trailer. It is a fairly large RV park, but still an easy walk from laundry, the store, the lake, and the visitor center. The sites were fairly level (the whole campground is on a downhill grade to the lake) and nicely spaced. We enjoyed being in the park, though on the north side it was a bit of a drive to Jenny Lake and Jackson. Overall, a pleasant experience and I would recommend.

A tight little campground in a great Cody location

Sorry no pictures for this review. The campground is tight. The playground is right next to the entrance without a fence. However! The location of the campground makes up for it and more. We could (and did) walk to downtown and the Buffalo Bill museum of the west. I woke up and went running along the river. We didn't spend much time in our campsite by design and it worked out great. There wasn't much road noise despite being right on the main thoroughfare. The souvenir ship/main office was nice. I would recommend.

Riverside Camping close to East Yellowstone

This campground was pretty great. Close to Yellowstone, but just far enough away if you know what I mean. Super nice Camp Host there to answer any questions for you about the area. Its a small campground, but affordable. $10 per night ($5 with an interagency pass) up to a 16 night stay. Nestled in the canyon outside of East Yellowstone. Fire pits, 2 pit toilets, and bear proof food boxes. Grizzly country, bring your bear spray.

good spot on north side of Jackson Lake

You can’t really go wrong in the Tetons, bc…it’s the Tetons. We base-camped here for 4 nights to explore GTNP. only regret is that it made for some long drives down to the southern areas of the park/Jackson/Teton Village. If we did it over, might’ve split with some nights in Gros Ventre or even Granite Creek, but CB was good for us. it’s a busy mini-town with tons of activity, people, and tour buses during the day. But we benefited from the showers and laundry. plus, you can usually find a quiet place somewhere on the shore of Jackson Lake.

the CG Is huge but empties out every day by 10am (it filled up only a couple of the nights we were there). our spot was a little more spacious, which the kids enjoyed. most sites weren’t much to look at, but walk a few feet and you’ll see Mt Moran over thr trees, which makes up for it.

Only complaint was that we were told when arriving we couldnt take a particular site that was open bc it was being held for someone. i told the guard i thought all sites were FCFS with no reservations? we took the site across from that one, and nobody ever came for the site we wanted.

Having big bear boxes at every site was really appreciated. Grants Village in Yellowstone had one box half that size that was shared by 5-6 sites—nope!

Crazy Woman Creek Campgrounds

Dispersed camping, very primitive but well worth the inconvenience, bring your own water and everything else you might need..

Free back county dispersed camping

Following the road behind the Flagg Ranch Restaurant/ Visitors Center and you will find backcountry campsite scattered in small groups of 5 and 6 along the river. Vault toilet, picnic tables, fire rings trash cans and bear safes are provided. No fires were allowed this year but the beauty of the mountains were enchanting. Park rangers stopped by to check for compliance to the 5 day limit and pick up trash, I was able to leave camp set up and go sight seeing and no one bothered any thing. There was fly fishing in the river and swimming was also possible, boating further up river, I stayed on the shore. People were very friendly and by day two we were all hanging out together watching the pelicans float down the river and fly back up together like a group of kids at a water park. It was amazing.

Great Staff! Very clean!

This campground is just outside Cody, WY. Easy access for people just passing through, just off a main road. They offer free pancake breakfast in the morning and a very cute store with almost every necessity for campers. tent sites, RV sites, cabins, and TeePees!

Packed in campsite

Most of the sites are walk on sites, with only one loop being dedicated to anyone with a camper or RV, so if that’s how you’re traveling I wouldn’t recommend this site, seeing as how the small loop was packed full of people. Sites are pretty much on top of each other, seeing as how I had to set up in the dark and saw three campfires within a 10 or 15 foot radius from where our tent was. The bathrooms are real plumbing, but they are not very well kept up, so it’s better than some of the outpost bathrooms most camp areas have, but if a clean bathroom is a deal breaker for you, I would also not recommend. There was a beautiful beach about a 7-10 minute walk from the site I was on. A little pricey ($30 nightly fee) for the amenities or lack thereof and definitely not worth the money for how close you were to other campers and their sites.

Very Public, and Expensive!

They have walk in sites as well as drive in sites, which is awesome for hikers and bikers. Unfortuneatlt since it is right near the park they do charge a fee of $40 a night which I personally feel is a bit steep. although, they do have running water for drinking as well as a bathroom with flushable toilets, and separate sinks for hand/face washing and dish washing. Staff lives on property, but personally I prefer more primitive sites away from people. if you don’t mind being up close an personal with a neighbor then this is a perfect campground :)

Primitive & Private

Just slightly past Crystal Creek Campground and it’s overflow, you will find many forest service roads. But this one in specific, right behind is one of the most primitive and private campsite service I have ever found. Besides the hustle and bustle of ATVs every now and again- there’s nothing but peace, quiet, and the soft hum of a river near by. There is a HUGE grassy area and I swear it’s one of the most beautiful campsites I’ve ever visited. To get to this campground you’d go down “Gros Ventre” road, where there are many campsites almost over a hundred. You just have to have a little adventure & willpower in your mind to find them. And also, don’t be afraid of being completely alone. Because that’s exactly what you’ll find camping here! I loved it.

Very friendly and clean

The owners helped take care of me when I had issues.very grateful for their caring attitude. Thanks so much!

Be Bear Aware

Pacific creek campground is at the end of a dirt road 1 mile past the entrance to Bridger Teton NP. We drove through but we’re not impressed so we opted for one of the 8 dispersed sites along Pacific Creek Rd. There are no services available whatsoever, however we found a beautiful place in dispersed #3, right by the creek and tucked back in the trees. we enjoyed the privacy, sunbathing nude on the gravel creek bank, and the beautiful surroundings until about 5:30 in the evening. We’d finished dinner and cleaned up and stowed our food and garbage and we we were sitting by the fire reading when a Black Bear came into camp. I looked up and it was about 15 feet away from me! I told it to go away and it eventually did but the threat of it coming back made us decide to bug out the next morning.

just OK

small campground. no potable water. Sites are somewhat small but large areas of natural flora separate them so they feel fairly private. One pit toilet which was odiferous in spite of the campground being relatively empty. we stayed 1night.

Beautiful, private and free

it’s a 42 mile drive out of Cody to this campground so it was relatively quiet with few other campers. there are only 6 sites, two of which had 5th wheel campers parked in them with no sign of the owners for the 3 days we stayed. the sites are large and far apart. there is one pit toilet which was remarkably clean for such a remote site. No potable water but a fast flowing creek ran behind our site so we had water to wash with after we boiled it. The only two drawbacks IMO (and they are minor) are that the road runs through the campground so there is a bit of traffic and directly behind our site is a horse corral which may have contributed to the abundance of flies. in spite of that, it’s a great place to camp. Beautiful, private and free!

great sitez

sites are set up with alternating hookups so you are not picnicking over your neighbors dump hose. most sites have a paved patio as well.

Gorgeous views

Great views of reservoir and mountains. Electric, pull through sites. Boat landing. Pit toilets. No showers.

such beauty

loved it here. The beauty in this area is breathtaking.

8/6-8/8/17- good, bathrooms not clean

The campsite itself was fine, bathrooms pretty dirty.

One of my favorite campgrounds!

This campground was pretty amazing. We stopped at Jenny Lake and watched the sun set and then drove up to Colter Bay and I was very satisfied with our stay! There were a lot of campsites to choose from and they were not right on top of each other which I really liked. There were a lot of trees which also provided more privacy.

Woodsy

I love all the trees and wildlife. Great views.

Woodsy

Bear country. Lots of trees. Beautiful river and views.

Best View for Morning Coffee Ever!

We happened upon the Pinnacles Campground by fluke, coming out of Dubois we saw the sign for Brooks Lake and just decided to take a peek. So glad we did!

It's a gravel road and we made it in a Kia Sorento just fine.

The first night we scored a spot (#4) across from the lake on the interior of the campground. In Grizzly Country, we fondly refer the interior campsites as surrounded by the 'Bear Buffer Zone' (aka exterior campsites ;) When we woke in the morning, the RV that was in the lakeside spot (#5) across from us left, so we scooted our stuff over for the lakeside spot. Got to be THE best view for morning coffee we've ever had!

The camp hosts, Joe and Deb make it a priority to make everyone feel welcome and at home (please see photo of vault toilet; Not your average outhouse!)

Things to know: It is windy! The wind dies down overnight and the morning is calm, but the wind picks up midmorning and keeps up till sunset. Mosquitos…PLENTIFUL and aggressive! The wind and temperatures don't seem to affect their determination to swarm your face constantly. But, effective bug repellant will keep them from biting you.

Also good to know (and we didn't): We are strictly tent campers. No one said anything to us, but I've since read that in that area it is supposed to be hard-sided camping only. (Yay Bear Buffer!)

Last but not least: If you are looking for a shower and a chance to wash your clothes, Dubois is about 23 miles South with a retro shower/laundry facility. Best $3.25 worth of hot water I've ever had :)

Lots of Activities and Amenities!

This is a large campground with 15 loops of 350 campsites plus group and hiker/biker sites as well as a separate RV park. Although during peak season, it will be full by late afternoon based on the times I've camped here in recent years.

Most sites are forested with good shade on Loops A-G while many sites on Loops H-O tend to be less forested. Many sites tend to have some scrub/underbrush and lack a designated tent pad (including this site).

Each loop has restrooms with flush toilets and running water as well as a utility room with a flush sink for washing dishes. Each restroom site also has a faucet outside for potable water.

Each site has a fire ring, picnic table, and bear bin.

There is a short trail to the shore of Jackson Lake for water activities, great views of the Tetons, a designated picnic area, as well as the marina and visitors center. Another trail takes you to the general store/deli and the laundry/shower facilities (both places have WiFi access although the general store network seemed faster). Firewood, ice, etc. can be purchased at the general store or at the gas station located just before you enter the campground.

There are multiple options for activities from this campground: hiking (Hermitage Point TH), horseback rides, boat cruises, scenic raft trips, fishing, kayaking, swimming, etc. Boat rentals and fishing equipment/licenses are available at the marina store.

Despite the number of sites/people, our site was pretty peaceful. Didn't see much wildlife around the campground this season, although there is a fox den near the general store that has been there the past few years.

Misc. Info: El 6800'; the South Gate of Yellowstone is 16 miles N; Jackson, WY is 40 miles S

Nice campground. Staff super friendly and helpful.

Plan early if you want to stay here. During rodeo season they fill up fast.

Don't get shut out; arrive early (i.e. in the morning) to claim a site

Lizard Creek is a first-come, first-served campground with 60 sites near the northern end of Grand Teton National Park. It's quiet which is the experience I love about being in national park campgrounds. It's an early bedtime for most campers after an active day in the park.

We arrived early in the day and took site #48. In July/August, most of the campgrounds in Grand Teton fill up. You can see the previous day's "full" time for all Grand Teton parks (same for Yellowstone) on the park's website:

Very cool feature! It wasn't showing up as I posted this review, but Yellowstone's was. Maybe I'm mistaken.  Well, you can see all campgrounds.

Amenities: Flush toilets, running water in sinks, service sink, trash disposal/recycling, and bear proof food storage boxes.

This campground has many walk in tent sites as well as a hiker/biker area with an $11 fee instead of the standard fee of $30 ($15 for NPS Senior Pass holders). You get a dedicated parking spot in front of your area, and you can pitch your tent fairly far back from the road.

Many sites have short parking areas but some are wide, especially among sites 48-63. You can put a vehicle and trailer/popup side by side. Someone fit a Class A on a site, but I don't know how they did it! This doesn't seem like a good choice for something that large…and remember, no hookups.

There are beautiful views of Jackson Lake from sites 30, 32, 34 and 35 with a premium view at #32. (See photo.)

One final (long) comment: I included a photo of some rules regarding checking in. I've never seen a list like this. It's my experience that someone who has a site with today listed as their departure date does not mind an incoming camper asking if they are leaving. I have been in campgrounds where the camper who's leaving says - pay for the site and put your tag on the post because we'll be out soon. That's not allowed at this campground because you are trying to "reserve" a site.

I have also been in places where the site is empty and today's date is listed as the departure date. Campers often leave without removing their tag.

Beautiful Campground!

I wish we had stayed longer here. The campground is beautiful and right near the water. The mountains behind it are gorgeous! Cody is a short drive and a fun town to explore.

Breathtaking displays of God’s beauty!

This place is unbelievably beautiful! The campground is just a place to lay your head, but the hikes around Colter Bay are majestic! Church at the amphitheater was enjoyable, and the grocery store provided necessary items and ice cream treats daily!

Beautiful and quiet, great location

This is a pretty small, quiet and beautiful campground. The location is great as it’s very close to the Tetons. There was a kitchen/snack bar on site as well.