the dyrt
About Sheridan/Big Horn Mountains KOA
Pitch your tent or park your RV along the shady banks of Goose Creek. The High Plains unfurl to the east, while the Big Horn Mountains loom to the west. Hike and ride horseback or make the hour's drive to the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument. You'll find other relics of the Indian wars near Sheridan, including the Fort Phil Kearny State Historic Site and the Fetterman Battlefield. Shop Sheridan's galleries for antiques and artisans' leather goods. Turn the kids loose in KOA's big playground and get your fill of fishing and swimming. This KOA is big rig friendly. Enjoy world-class ATVing and snowmobiling in the Big Horn Mountains.
Drive In, Boat In
Fee Info
Adults 18+, Kids 5-17, Free 0-4
Private
Sheridan/Big Horn Mountains KOA is located in Wyoming
Directions
New exit 20 is now open. Take exit 20 head east toward Decker then take the first right. KOA is located 0.3 miles on the left side of the road. Please follow the above directions not the directions in our 2017 directory. Your GPS will not be correct either. Old exit 20 is closed. Exit 20 is located about 1 mile west of the old exit 20.
4 Reviews of Sheridan/Big Horn Mountains KOA
July 2018: Nice staff

This KOA has nice wide lots and friendly staff. Laundry room was clean and cheap. near a highway but not terribly noisy. would stay again.

Ranger Review: Natures Coffee Kettle at Sheridan Big Horn KOA

Campground Review:

This KOA is easy access from I-90. That being said, bring your ear plugs, you are near the interstate. I stayed here for 3 nights while attending the American Legion State Baseball Tournament. I chose this campground because they have WiFi and shower facilities.

The camp ground managers are very nice folks! I talked baseball every day with the host and he shared stories of his baseball days. Very nice man who had his work cut out for him battling all the down branches and mess from the thunderstorms that rolled through each day. Cost was $32.88 w/ tax each night for a tent site without power (add $5 if you want a power source). Considering the WiFi and free shower facilities and only 1 mile from the ball park, it was the best value for me. If traveling with family/friends, the campground offers quite a few activities on site. They had a basketball court, horseshoe pits, mini golf, swimming pool, and some fun looking tricycles!

This place was very clean! The bathrooms were spotless each time I used them, regardless of time of day. The showers were very clean, the temperature fluctuated some while using, but nothing to complain about. Free coffee in the office. Laundry facilities do cost, but i didn't use these during my stay, so I can't say much about them. Sites are close together, that would be my only disappointment, but that is very normal for these kinds of commercial campgrounds. Which is the only reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5.

The Big Horn Mountains are very close by and full of adventure. The town of Sheridan has a very nice downtown area with quaint shops and cafes. There are numerous museums in the area with relics of the history of the area.

Product Review: Natures Coffee Kettle - Brazilian Mountain Blueberry https://nckstore.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/nature-s-coffee-kettle-brazilian-mountain-blueberry-with-1-mountain-blueberry-refill-pack Bear with my product demo video…i was half asleep. Round 2 went much smoother! So, how this works: You are provided a Mylar bag that had a spout and a zip-lock seal. There are 2 compartments, in the upper compartment you will find a large bag of coffee grounds tea bag style. The slower you pour the water over the grounds, the stronger your brew will be. Once you have your water added and it has ran through into the bottom chamber, you can seal the zip-lock and hold the bag upside down to brew the coffee even stronger. I highly recommend doing this. The Mylar bag is not insulated, so I would recommend storing the brewed coffee in a thermos or insulated mug once you've completed the brewing process. I wasn't a huge fan of the Mountain Blueberry flavor, but really enjoyed the Guatemalan coffee I tried the next morning. I will be taking Natures Coffee Kettle with me in a couple weeks when I climb the Grand Teton! Coffee at Base camp and at the high camp on summit day! Cheers!

Decent campground

This was a fairly decent private campground; it one of the best KOA's I've stayed at. The few employees I encountered were very pleasant, and overall the campground was pretty quiet, even though it's not really in a "wilderness" area (although what KOA ever really is?). The tent sites were nicely designed, but the grouping I was in was downwind of the dump station :(

The bath/shower houses here were some of the best designed of any campground I've visited - they were very modern and clean. There were at least 4 toilet stalls and 4 shower stalls, all housed in the same building. And the shower stalls actually had locking doors AND shower curtains, so my belongings stayed dry (a rare find, let me tell you!).

If you need to stay in the area this campground would be a good choice, but you could go a few hours in any direction and be in more "woodsy" campgrounds.

Ranger Review: LedLenser MH10 Headlamp at Sheridan/Big Horn Mtns KOA

Campground Review: The Sheridan/Big Horn Mountains KOA in Sheridan, Wyoming, is a clean, well-kept establishment. Whether you are an RVer or a tent camper, there is plenty of space for you to enjoy this campground. We stayed on a rainy/snowy weekend in September in our 17-foot RV and found that even though we had neighbors, there was plenty of room to move, and we heard little outside noise at night.

Just off the highway, this campground is conveniently located close to both historic downtown Sheridan and the remote Bighorn Mountains. There are about 60 RV sites, 25 tent sites, and 10 cabins. Each tent site has its own covered picnic shelter, which we thought looked unique. We had to eat inside our RV due to the rain all weekend, and were a bit envious of the tent campers being able to eat outside - one of our favorite camping activities - without getting wet! The campground sits along the Big Goose Creek, where campers can fish (mostly for carp).

There is an outdoor swimming pool and spa, which we missed out on by two days when the weather decided to dip below freezing, but it was a nice size and located next to the main building, along with showers, laundry, and a small store. The host is very nice and knowledgeable about the area’s activities. There is also a small, somewhat dated, playground at the entrance to the campground, and a cute mini-golf course near the office. Unfortunately, due to the weather over our stay, we did not get to test out either one! For those that like to stay online while camping, the Wi-Fi was tested decent for web browsing, but leave the YouTube devices at home.

Product Review: The LedLenser MH10 Headlamp was a perfect choice to bring along for our camping trip to the Sheridan/Big Horn Mountains KOA. Since it rained/snowed for our entire weekend in Wyoming, this 600-lumen headlamp was able to cut the drear and allow us to walk safely around the whole campground at night. Even with a wool winter hat on, this headlamp fit lightly and securely on my head.

The MH10 is only 5.6 oz in weight and yet has the capacity to put out 600 lumens of LED glory, which believe me, thanks to my son aiming it at me, could definitely blind someone! At the high setting, the beam can reach to 150 meters (almost 500 feet!), and spreads nicely to the sides, or can be focused with a twist of the lens. Even the medium setting at 250 lumens will give you up to 100 meters (about a football field) of glow power. There are three flashing settings that can be found by holding down the power button for increasing length of time, from one flash to three, and then removed again in the same manner. Great choice for emergency signalling.

The headlamp comes with two color lenses that can be placed in the installment ring and snapped to the front of the beam. It seems to fit securely, and they snap in and out with ease. Red LED is a great way to keep your night vision intact if you need to read a map or spot an animal making noise around you, and it will allow you to see again in the dark even after turning off the headlamp. It is also great at a campground like the KOA because it will not shine into your neighbors’ tents or RV’s and wake them up! We had to do some research on the green lens, and it turns out that green will not scare wildlife, including fish, and in fact could attract them. We also read claims that a green LED is useful for trailing a wounded animal, as the blood trail may be easier to spot. Regardless of the real reason, we thought it was fun to run around seeing everything in a green tint!

The MH10 is USB rechargeable and comes with everything you need to get using it right out of the box. At the high setting, this headlamp will last up to 10 hours on one charge. We used ours for two nights, about 1-2 hrs a night, and never charged it out of the box. It lasted the entire time and even back at home another hour or two over the next week. At the lowest, 10-lumen setting, this powerhouse can last for 120 hours. That’s five DAYS of constant use!

The head strap is completely adjustable. My husband, my 10-year-old, and I were all able to make use of this product with an easy transition between us. The set comes with a nice carrying sleeve for the cords, battery, instructions, and lenses, which can be attached to your belt or a backpack strap. As with any tool, be sure to read the enclosed warnings - 600 lumens is NOT an LED strength to shine in the face of others!