Standard (Tent/RV)
About Grant Village Campground

Grant Campground—elevation 7,800 feet (2377 m)—is located in Grant Village, just off the Grand Loop Road at the south end of Yellowstone Lake. It is one of the larger campgrounds in the park with 430 sites. Group and wheel-chair accessible sites are available. Nearby there are stores, a restaurant, gas station, visitor center, and boat ramp.

ADA Access: Three accessible sites, with an extended picnic table and a raised fire grate. Accessible restrooms are located near the accessible sites. Accessible shower in Camper Services Building.

Price
$33.00
National Park Service
No Phone Service
No WiFi
RVs and Trailers
Grant Village Campground is located in Wyoming
Directions
Located south of West Thumb on the South Entrance Road.
34 Reviews of Grant Village Campground
Ok, very main stream. redeeming gem though...

I usually avoid campgrounds inside of National Parks at all costs. They are overcrowded and overpriced and often undermine the true nature of camping. When traveling with others, I tend to opt for dispersed camping or more rustic camping outside of parks. This road trip I am traveling alone and decided to stay inside the park for more peace of mind. If you are into staying inside of national parks, this is a great spot.

All of the "cons" are cons that I would apply to any major national park campground: you are on top of your neighbor, car traffic and noise all night for people arriving late, people pulling in with RV's at 1130pm, line for the bathroom, etc. These are specific gripes with Grant campground, just national park campsites in general. If you are okay with that, this is truly a great spot.

I was kind of hating it, my spot was on an end cap where the road turns and I have never felt so exposed at a campspot, but there was such a huge redeeming factor that I would actually stay here again happily.

That redeeming factor is the access to Yellowstone Lake. This was something I truly didn't realize going into it. Luckily my spot was about ten feet from a trailhead leading down to the shore. Less than a one minute walk and I felt like I was transported to a different planet. It felt like sitting on the coast in the Pacific Northwest. I enjoyed a drink down there in the evening and a hot breakfast down there in the morning. It was so vast and open and given that it was less than a one minute walk away, there was only one other person on the entire visible shoreline. Crazy. Such a gem and for that reason alone, I would return always.

Not bad

This is one of Yellowstone’s bigger campgrounds. As such, the sites are closely packed for the most part, although there are some that offer more privacy, all are different dep. on where they put you (cannot pick your own site). Check-in lady was friendly and cordial (Judy from Missouri). Bathrooms were clean. Sites are mostly level, mostly shaded. We were lucky and had nice neighbors which makes the closeness more tolerable. Some sites actually have paths that go down to the lake, if you are lucky enough to get one of those it’s an added bonus. They have a shower house but it was not open this summer due to COVID, so part of our fee was refunded. No WiFi and cell coverage was close to zilch.

Great spot for viewing Geysers

Great spot for viewing Geysers! Nice campground, didn’t have hookups but water and dump down the block. Close to gas station and LP fill-up and service station. Not many in the Yellowstone park, so it was convenient. Stayed in H loop space was spread out and provided shade and cover.

Good location!

I stayed here with my friend for 2 days. I don’t have any check in info since it she handled that but the site was big, there was potable water and the bathrooms were clean. It’s a quick walk to the west thumb of Yellowstone lake with views of the east entrance mountain range. It was a great location for us to meet up since I was in Tetons for a few days. Easy to go to and from the west and East side of the park. I have Verizon and randomly had 2 bars of service. No WiFi in the area. The general store had a ton of merchandise to select from. My friend really liked the area and said she stay here again.

Tight, cozy campsite.

Campsite had great services; plenty of restrooms, washroom for dishes and showers for campers.  The check-in was super easy and they were very friendly.

The only issue we had was getting our camper into the site.  They advertised our particular site as a pull-through site and we nearly got our camper stuck trying to pull in.  It took some doing, but we got parked properly.  It would have been far easier to just back in to this particular lot.

Our camper is just over 31', so that could have been a factor.

A wonderful place to basecamp...

…your trip to Yellowstone. Grant village is located incredibly close to many of the nearby attractions you’ll find at Yellowstone. It’s on the southern part of the large ring road you’ll use to visit everything. Just a 7 minute drive from here and you’re at old faithful or a 5 minute walk and your at the beach of Yellowstone lake. Make sure you’re prepared with bear deterrent as this is bear country. Always store foods in your vehicle or trailers. The only downside i ever had was that this is a very popular campground with smaller sites so there’s a ton of folks here. If you’re looking to get away from people this isn’t the place however we found it fun meeting our neighbors.

Meh

Big campground and lots of noise, but lots of amenities. Probably good for families who want an easy trip, but not great for those wanting to escape the Yellowstone crowds.

Enjoyable Yellowstone National Park campground

We stayed in a travel trailer at Grant Village campground for 10 days. This is a dry site (no hook-ups). Because we selected a site next to the comfort station, grey water and sewage storage was not a problem. There was a shower site we had to drive to right down the street; we were given a "pass" for one shower for each adult each day. A little annoying but doable (the water was hot and unlimited). The site was a little tight with our 34 ft rig but it worked without damage to the local foliage. A little on site selection: when you reserve for the campground, you don't select a site. We arrived at 1 pm and selected our site then. The rush for sites was typically around 6-7:30 pm, so I recommend arriving early. Our site was frequented by elk and deer. The lake was a very short walk down the hill. The Village had a grocery, cafe, restaurant, post office, visitor center, and souvenir shop. Would highly recommend.

Can't beat Yellowstone!

This was a great spot to camp, but a little unnerving being in a small tent in bear country. Middle of the summer and it was still down right chilly at night. I'm not sure I've ever been so cold while camping. This campground has restrooms within the loop as well as a large facility for showering and laundry at the entrance to which you likely want to drive. Everything was clean and well maintained. Be sure to practice good bear safety with food. Bear cans were provided for food storage. No food in the tents. No food smelling clothes in the tent. We were right next to the bathroom which was convenient and the campsite was quite large for our two person tent and canopy over the picnic table.

Grant Village Campground

Great campground! I had plenty of room for a 3 person and 4 person tent with room to spare. There was a great fire pit and picnic table and the bathrooms were close by as well as a dish washing station and water spickets. The map was easy to follow and the site was easy to find. There are a lot of campsites but I felt we had enough privacy even with campers on on 2 sides of us. There was parking for 2 cars at our site. Also showers were available. After spending the day on the west side of the loop this was a great spot to end out day!