Bridger-Teton National Forest , WYOMING

Camping Wyoming Bridger-Teton National Forest

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Bridger-Teton National Forest Camping Reviews
Fishing anyone

Blowout Campground seems to be the place for fisher people. The road to the boat launch goes right through the campground , not great. Unless that’s what your there for. Small campground right off the road, so you can hear the traffic noise. Older campground with sites in the trees. Excellent views and the lake looked awesome.

We had fun

We stayed in the 1-5 area separated from the rest of the sites. Very open, just shrubs, no trees, and a power line was near. The spot we stayed in said tent only, no vehicle. We took that to mean no RV but weren’t sure as we drove in. But the camping hosts came by and said we were fine. They also said that there was a black bear down that was just down the hill and had been hanging out for a few days. They just reminded us to keep all food stored safely in a bear safe compartment (there are non provided at the sites). We kept it in our yeti cooler in the car. The bear never came closer to bothered us. Suuuuper windy! All night the wind was hitting the tent since there was nothing to block it. Not sure if it is always that windy, though. Could have just been the weather. We only stayed one night. But the sunset and sunrise view of the Tetons was great!!!

Lovely

Dirt road to get to, but easily managed. A car could go down (very slowly in some spots). Boondocking camping sites all along the river coming up to this spot. They fill up on the weekend pretty fast during peak season. Sites at the official campsite are close together, but have trees in between. You can see your neighbors if that matters to anyone. But it was very quiet while we were there. We were out of a tent, but saw small RVs there too. I’m not sure if there were power hook ups. The surrounding area is stunning. If you go hiking, go out on the Highline trail, and come back on Lakeside trail, that will be the best for views. Start just 30mins after sunrise for beautiful light for photos. I record sound for a living and I loved this place because of how devoid of human noise it is when you get past the two lakes on the trail. Pure nature sounds, aside from the occasional commercial plane. It was so dead quiet, I had to really crank my gain while recording natural ambiences.

Unique area

Dubois/Wind River KOA, Dubois , Wyoming

Dubois , Wyoming is another town on the old west trail. I only stayed overnight after Grand Teton NP but would have stayed longer had my schedule allowed to explore more. It is a little touristy but there is history there if you search it out.

The KOA was a smaller one, back behind a gas station which was convenient. There are cool TP’s that you can rent and the cabins site along the Wind River which makes for some nice scenery when you are chilling at the campground. Don’t look to hard though, across the river is a neighborhood. The road in was a little rough and the gravel needed some maintenance, otherwise it was a well maintained parking lot like so many of the KOA’s are now. The playground equipment looked archaic! I did not use any of the facilities so I have no information on them and there was no dog park. I arrived after close, found my paperwork on the lite kiosk and I left out in the morning before the office opened. For the price I expect more but it seems like the area dictates the quality of the KOA.

Perfect spot

Riverside Park Campground, Irwin, Idaho

In Caribou-Targhee NF/Palisades Wilderness near Bridger- Teton NF. This is a first come , no reservation campground, at the foot of Palisades Dam on Snake River. We arrived around 2 pm and the sites were mostly empty. Several others arrived around 6 pm. This is a good campground for fishermen/women, the lower sites are right on the river. There is a boat ramp right across the road. There is paddle information near the boat ramp also. The only electric sites are on the upper half. The rest are basic sites. All have fire pits, picnic tables and a multi purpose metal platform. Gravel/dirt pads that are level. There are several pit toilets and dumpsters throughout . No trails , but there are several trailheads nearby. Other then fishing there is not much else to do at this campground, however it would be a good starting off point for hiking adventures. You can not leave your camper/tent overnight, unattended.

Great dispersed camping

Got there early in the afternoon and about half of the spots were taken but I was able to get an amazing spot overlooking the range. Definitely recommend

Location, Location, Location

Upfront disclosure, I'm a boondocker and rarely ever go to a campsite. However, in the Tetons I prefer to hit a campsite (because…(1) there are enough Grizzlies in this part of the country to make me pause, and, 2) to boondock near the Tetons, you would actually be pretty far from the action).

This is always my go-to spot in the Tetons. Much quieter than the large, very crowded campsites further South, this northern most site is actually closest to Yellowstone. So you get a double bang for your buck.

Two loops. First is for RVs and generator friendly. It's okay, but I hate generators more than windy days. The second loop is for tents and small trailers and is generator free. Yippee. This lower loop also is the one with the amazing views of the Tetons and the lake. I am closer to my neighbors than I normally like, but hey, context is everything. I'll make that trade-off to have the morning coffee/evening wine views.

Leave no trace my friends.

Nice view, close to highway

Rt 26 seems to be a big trucking route, could hear engine braking all night. Sites seemed close together as well. On the bright side, sites on the west cliff get a wicked nice sunset! Was the only one there aside from a few boaters at the launch, and no fee late October!

In between Yellowstone & Grand Tetons

This place was great. We woke up to a view of the Grand Tetons. All the spaces are large and drive through. Perfect location between the Southern Yellowstone entrance and the entrance to the Grand Tetons. If you check in after hours the office is in the gas station/bar but everything was easy after that.

Mosquito Creek Dispersed Campground in Wilson, WY

We stayed in a lovely dispersed camping site on Mosquito Creek road in Wilson, Wyoming.  Some of the campsites have views of the creek and are very private.  All sites are very private.

The road to get there, as is usual with dispersed camping, is very bumpy and 4WD is recommended.

Our friend saw a large black bear after leaving our site.  It is also moose territory.

Gorgeous, private, but with no bathrooms or amenities at all.

Even though there is no water, bathrooms, or other amenities, it is free.  And it is a few short minutes to the town of Jackson Hole.

Bonus:  we have cellular reception enough that I could make calls and send emails (Not strong enough to send pics and stream though).