the dyrt
THE BEST CAMPING IN
Wyoming

Wyoming is where the Rocky Mountains meet the Great Plains, and the opportunities for recreation span thousands of miles. Home to the country’s first national park and national monument, visitors can witness spewing geysers, rolling prairieland, and almost everything in between. Get ready for an epic adventure camping in Wyoming!

Yellowstone National Park is the home of almost 3,500 square miles of nationally protected lands. From rushing waterfalls, roaring rivers, soaring peaks, and marvels of geology such as Old Faithful, the park has sights not even imagination even conjure. For this reason, hundreds of thousands visit every year. Plan ahead and experience once-in-a-lifetime camping in Wyoming in the process.

Although abundant, camping in Wyoming is extremely sought after, especially near the park. Twelve campgrounds within Yellowstone National Park provide adventurers with plentiful options, but planning ahead is vital. The Canyon Campground allows easy access to the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, a picture-perfect waterfall and river vista in the north-central region. Visit Artist’s Point and hike the 300 feet down to the lower falls to feel the rush of the Yellowstone River.

For a more touristy experience, snag a site in the Madison Campground. Being one of the largest in the park and less than 20 miles from the famous geyser Old Faithful, this area is a go-to for first time visitors. Sitting at an elevation just below 7,000 feet, the crisp mountain air will refresh. This area gets a lot of traffic, so pack in your patience and remember that the parks are for everyone to enjoy.

Camping in Wyoming also gives the chance to get off the grid. Grand Teton National Park is directly to the south of Yellowstone and allows for some easy-access backpacking. When done right, you can avoid the droves of humanity that flock to the Greater Yellowstone region.

For an easy trek into the backcountry, get a scenic spot along Leigh Lake or String Lake. These camping sites are often booked months in advance, so get them quick! A hidden gem tucked in the shadow of Mount Moran is Bearpaw Lake and is also relatively accessible from the same trail. Remember your bear spray and enjoy some genuine Wyoming camping!

EXPLORE WYOMING
Recent Reviews in Wyoming
Great camping in Grand Teton National Park

I camped here as part of my National Park hiking trip to Grand Teton National Park. It was a quiet campground close to hiking at Jenny Lake. The campsites were first come and filled up quickly. Like most national park campgrounds, there were not showers, but flush toilets were available. This was a great place to camp while hiking the national park.

Close encounter

Everything I wanted. Easy check in plenty of sites. At the base of Devils Tower!! Great store & staff. They show the movie every night at an outdoor patio with the tower in the background, AWESOME!

You are camping at the gates to the park. Easy in & out of park. Must stay here

Jenny Lake in the Tetons

No RVs, only tents. Raised gravel beds for tenting and bear lockers on sites. Very close camping quarters, still decent basic amenities with bathrooms. No showers.

WIDE OPEN SPACES

318 sites. 36 electric sites. wide open spaces between you and your neighbors. Moose in the campground almost daily. Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Open May to October.

A nicely located RV campground in Grand Teton

We spent 9 nights in Colter Bay RV park in a 30 ft travel trailer. It is a fairly large RV park, but still an easy walk from laundry, the store, the lake, and the visitor center. The sites were fairly level (the whole campground is on a downhill grade to the lake) and nicely spaced. We enjoyed being in the park, though on the north side it was a bit of a drive to Jenny Lake and Jackson. Overall, a pleasant experience and I would recommend.

Enjoyable Yellowstone National Park campground

We stayed in a travel trailer at Grant Village campground for 10 days. This is a dry site (no hook-ups). Because we selected a site next to the comfort station, grey water and sewage storage was not a problem. There was a shower site we had to drive to right down the street; we were given a "pass" for one shower for each adult each day. A little annoying but doable (the water was hot and unlimited). The site was a little tight with our 34 ft rig but it worked without damage to the local foliage. A little on site selection: when you reserve for the campground, you don't select a site. We arrived at 1 pm and selected our site then. The rush for sites was typically around 6-7:30 pm, so I recommend arriving early. Our site was frequented by elk and deer. The lake was a very short walk down the hill. The Village had a grocery, cafe, restaurant, post office, visitor center, and souvenir shop. Would highly recommend.

A tight little campground in a great Cody location

Sorry no pictures for this review. The campground is tight. The playground is right next to the entrance without a fence. However! The location of the campground makes up for it and more. We could (and did) walk to downtown and the Buffalo Bill museum of the west. I woke up and went running along the river. We didn't spend much time in our campsite by design and it worked out great. There wasn't much road noise despite being right on the main thoroughfare. The souvenir ship/main office was nice. I would recommend.

Can't beat Yellowstone!

This was a great spot to camp, but a little unnerving being in a small tent in bear country. Middle of the summer and it was still down right chilly at night. I'm not sure I've ever been so cold while camping. This campground has restrooms within the loop as well as a large facility for showering and laundry at the entrance to which you likely want to drive. Everything was clean and well maintained. Be sure to practice good bear safety with food. Bear cans were provided for food storage. No food in the tents. No food smelling clothes in the tent. We were right next to the bathroom which was convenient and the campsite was quite large for our two person tent and canopy over the picnic table.

Late season

We wanted to stay overnight in YNP in late October and found out that most of the hotels were already closed and the only campgrounds open were Mammoth, which is open year-round and Lewis Lake, which was open until 11/4. We had no trouble finding a spot in the late afternoon but because it was the only camping available , and it is YNP, it filled up fast! Nice but tiny sites, pretty trees and a separate area for tenters . This campground was very quiet. It was also very clean considering it had hard use all summer. Every site has a little tent pad, a table, and a fire pit. The rangers had turned off the water so there was no fee either! The boat ramp at Lewis Lake was perfect and the lake was glassy so we had excellent canoeing. This review is heavily determined by the time of year, and the excellent weather we enjoyed. But it gives a different twist to camping in Yellowstone.

can't go wrong with yellowstone

Yellowstone, being the beautiful place that it is, is one of the most well trafficked national parks in the U.S. This being said, it's campgrounds fill up super quickly. If you're looking to stay within the park, plan your trip pretty far in advance so you can be sure to get a spot. However, there are some campground that don't take reservations and just do it one a first come, first served basis.

Norris campground is one that does not take reservations. When my friends and I were coming through Yellowstone, I thought it was super lucky that we managed to find a site. The sites are pretty nice too; flat and some are pretty secluded. They seemed to have a lot more tent sites than RV sites, so if you have an RV, I wouldn't necessarily bet on finding a site here.

Although the camp is nice, you don't spend much time at it when you're in Yellowstone. The park is beautiful. I prefer the less touristy hikes, but of course you have to go see Old Faithful and The Grand Prismatic Spring and all the other touristy things.

Get out there and have fun!

Best trip ever

I went out to Wyoming a couple of summers ago, and honestly it was one of the most amazing trips I have ever been on. I stayed with some friends from college in Gros Ventre campground. There were a whole bunch of us spread out over 3 sites, but the staff was very accommodating and helped us find three sites that were all connected.

The sites themselves are great. Pretty secluded from the other campers, which I love. The campground has clean drinking water and is located next to a river if you need to wash off. No showers though, so it really feels like you're roughing it.

The campground is located only about 20 minutes from the town of Jackson Hole. The place made me want to never leave Wyoming. The town has some cute coffee shops, a bouldering wall downtown, and awesome stores for outdoor enthusiasts.

The camp is also located only about 20 minutes from Grand Teton National Park. If you've never been to Wyoming, you can't imagine how beautiful this place is in the summer. Wildflowers everywhere, and once you get far enough into the park it feels like you're somewhere no other people have ever been. The stars are crazy bright and the mountains are unreal. Definitely one of my favorite national parks. I would highly recommend taking a backpacking trip through the Tetons or doing some rock climbing.

One of my all time favorite campgrounds and favorite places.

A one night stopover

This is a small RV Park, cash only $20/night.

There is a drop box and a stack of envelopes for payment in the office, if no one is there.

It has level, pull through sites with water, electric and sewer. The shower/bathroom is connected to the office and was clean with plenty of hot water. There are a lot of permanent or long term residents.

it is right off I-80 next to the shrine of Our Lady if Peace, the 50’ status of the Virgin Mary visible from the interstate.

Remoe and relaxing

The best thing about this campground is not even the campground - the scenery, the creek, the hot springs! Of course the campground itself is wonderful, with nice spacious sites and plenty of accessible vault toilets. Being October, the hook-ups were off, although that should be expected late season in Wyoming.

The paid pool stays open until the end of October, we made sure to use it. The hot pools in the creek are also an option.

Be aware the road does close to cars in winter.

Centrally Located

This campground is in the northern part of the park, so if you're coming in or leaving by way of Wyoming, this is the most convenient place to sleep! The bathrooms are very well-maintained and have running water. The spots, while they don't offer much privacy, are spacious especially if you have a tent instead of an RV. This campsite puts you at a prime location from which to explore the springs which are a major destination within the park. Since the campground is so close to the springs, you can get a leg up on the tourist bus crowds that start rolling in around mid-morning. The campsite is in a busier area and is surrounded by a road on both sides, so if you're looking for something a bit more remote, try Indian Creek or Tower Falls.

Slough Creek - Yellowstone - Great place to see wildlife -

Bison walking thru campsite, River runs beside it, Back Country trails with campsites if you dare.

Bear Spray a must..Water and Toilets available…Small campsite area only 16 sites…

Mostly tent or small RV's…once again…this is the Slough Creek campsite in the North East corner of Yellowstone…< 10 miles from Lamar Valley where you can watch Wolves…

Great late season spot

A few sandy campsites by the Platte River - had we gotten there earlier, we could have parked on the river's rocky shore. Someone beat us to it though!

There are actually two separate camping areas of this access - when you get to the fork, there are sites in either direction. Both are denoted with the Foote Public Access area signs, so you know you found it. There was also a boat ramp. I am not familiar with this section of the Platte, but I would imagine fishing and hunting are probably great activities if you're staying here for a few days. Wildlife appeared abundant in September - luckily, mosquitos and flies were not!

It is a road through private land, which is relatively well maintained, but please respect private property. Also be aware of current fire restrictions - there are no fire rings here, and open fires are not permitted. A firepan or fuel-based cooking system would be good to have.

Great location.

Great location. Right outside the entrance to Devils Tower. Amazing views and the movie (Close Encounters) after dark was nice. Fire ban due to dryness and winds was a bummer.

Beautiful Campground to feel at one with Nature

Upon arrival at Gros Ventre Campground we were greeted by two very friendly and informative hosts. After picking our campsite, we decided to switch- which was no problem at all.

The views, and surrounding area were absolutely breathtaking. A female moose walked right behind our site, and the bison were in herds on the campground the morning we left.

Would highly reccomend for anyone camping in the Teton Area.

Favorite site

Went on a week long at trip to Yellowstone and the tetons and this was my favorite site During our trip. Lots of space between campsites, decent bathrooms along with amazing views make for a great campsite. There are a few group sites, and firewood for sale along with safe food storage and garbages.

Perfect!

This is a decent campsite, a little KOA like with how many sites there are but overall nice. They have great showers along with a nice bathroom. There is amenities around that you can use like a store, gas station, etc.

GOOD FOR RV

We camp there for three days with an RV.Its nice campground,they have full hook up,laundry,quiet

Deepest Canyon in the Winds

An absolute must area to backpack in if you're in the northern part of the Wind River Range! Gorgeous waterfalls are everywhere and you're surrounded by giant walls of ancient Precambrian granite! The trail crosses over the stream many times so it helps to have waders. Water during the early part of the season can be almost impassable so late Summer is usually a good time to go if you don't want to deal with snow. Definitely bring some bug spray as well!

Dispersed camping on the North Platte River

This tiny dispersed site is on the North Platte River with boat access and a few weedy, private sites spread out in this area tucked inside private property. Since you have to drive over private property to get here, be mindful of speed on the dirt access road and clean up after yourself. I did not camp here as all of the sites were taken but I did visit with a couple traveling from Canada. They liked how quiet it was and loved how secluded it was. They said the mosquitoes were horrific, but worth dealing with to camp in such a great spot. Just up the road is the actual public access to the river, but in the campground there is a small boat ramp that you could use to launch a small boat or canoe. I'm keeping this one on my list for future reference- free, beautiful, and secluded. Hope I can get a spot in the future.

Free camping downtown

In the city of Lander you can camp for up to three days for free at the city park. It’s a pretty good deal as the the tent area is set back behind the stadium in a nice grassy area with access to flush toilets in the parking area. It was pretty busy while I was there, with quite a few families and cyclists taking advantage of the free camping. The Popo Agie River runs next to the park which makes for a nice sound machine to fall asleep to. If you need a shower head over to the Recreation Center and pay $5 for use of the facilities. In town are some great restaurants (Cowfish is my favorite, with a microbrewery attached), and outside of town is some great hiking in Sinks Canyon and the Shoshone National Forest.

Tight little campground.

In the Sinks Canyon, this is a nice little campground wedged between the highway and the river and mountains. Campsites are small and close to each other, but level and clean. Each site has the usual picnic table, fire pit, and bear box; but the concerns were less about bears and more about moose. There are Yurts for rent here too. The family I met that had reserved one was really happy with their yurt. There are nice hiking trails on the other side of the river (moose warning signs and all), and some nice trails on the other side of the highway. I’d camp here again even though it is so close to the road because the river drowns out the highway noise. Be careful if you decide to dip your toes in the river; the flow is really fast!! Just down the road about a mile is the Sinks and the Rise, where the Popo Agie River disappears into a cave at the base of the mountain and then miraculously reappears gushing out of the base of a mountain on the other side of the canyon.

Camping Next to a Cascade

This was a wonderful surprise in the heart of Wyoming. We spent the night on our return from Yellowstone. The campsite was right on the drive and next to a cascade in a deep canyon. The crashing waters helped me sleep well all night, while it kept my wife awake for the same reason.

Clean vault toilet, potable water, wildlife, and great trails.

Other camping areas with electricity and water are further in.

Nice little town with cute shops, and great ice cream just to the north.

We will return.

Nice, Basic Campground in Yellowstone

Yellowstone is always crowded, so we reserved in advance. We enjoyed our stay here – saw lots of elk and bison. Our site was fairly small, but provided what we needed – a place for our car, our tent, and the hammock!

Best campground in Grand Teton!

Great views, access to trails, relatively private and quiet!

On the River, Just Outside of Yellowstone

Just outside of Yellowstone, right on the river, clean vault toilet, bear box, fire pit, picnic table, and FREE.

There are multiple campsites on Grassy Lake Road/Flagg Ranch Road just off of the John D Rockefeller Jr. Parkway connecting the Grand Tetons to Yellowstone. Many could accommodate larger RVs, though we were in a pop-up. The site was beautiful and I saw more moose driving to my campsite than I did driving through Yellowstone.

The river is beautiful and many campsites are right on its banks. My daughter and son Kayaked from Yellowstone’s south entrance to the campsite and had a blast. I thought the waterfalls at the south end were the most beautiful in the park. We spent days climbing and hiking around them.

There is no power or water other than the river. Water proved to be a problem for us, though with planning you could fill jugs up while in the park and we showered in the center of Yellowstone at Grant Village.

Several of the camp areas have multiple sites but many further up are single sites you would have all to yourself. Though it’s pseudo-wilderness camping, I would be tempted to pay handsomely for the privilege to be in a quiet campsite next to a beautiful river outside of Yellowstone…but it was FREE.

Peaceful sites between the lake and two trails

Gravel access road from the Boukder Wyoming area. Limited number of established sites in the formal campgound loop. Other folks camp near the Boulder Creek trailhead.

Pit toilets, gravel parking, trail map displays. Picnic tables and fire rings. Suited for tents and smaller RVs. Bigger RVs camp near the trailhead parking area.

The two trails up Boukder Creek and to Blueberry Lake go up into the Bridger Wilderness. Bring bear spray and fishing rods.