John D. Rockefeller Jr. Memorial Parkway, WYOMING

Camping Wyoming John D. Rockefeller Jr. Memorial Parkway
Most Recent John D. Rockefeller Jr. Memorial Parkway Camping Reviews
Best time with the Grandchildren !

We spent 7 days at this park! That was 2 years ago and the grandchildren still talk about that trip! Fishing Bridge is the perfect location to stay with full hookup’s, showers, laundry and store with the best cafe and ice cream!

Very Nice Campsite

Visited here in June of 2019. Great campground close to the lodge, convenience store, gas station, and laundry. Cell phone service and even radio station reception are almost nonexistent throughout the park, recommend stopping by a lodge to get the daily weather report and news. We were hit by very sudden blizzard in the beginning of June. The day before was sunny and 85° F, we had servers thunderstorms that night with 10” of snow the next morning! The park closed the gates so we couldn’t leave that morning. Both our cell phones didn’t work. Check the lodges for news and weather.

The restaurant at the lodge was very good. The lodge has one public phone for long distance calls. The satellite WiFi is slow because of all the people trying to use it. If you really need it, try late at night.

Highly recommend the horseback ride/tour through the park at this lodge. It was amazing. The lodge front desk is where you sign up for the horseback tour.

The fireplace at the lodge has board games and lots of kids gather to play. An awesome place!

Very Nice Campground

Visited here June of 2019. It was first time in Yellowstone, so we didn’t know what to expect. This campsite has mixed RV and tent camping. The only downside is that campsites are very close together and some of the tent camp sites do flood (1”-4” of water) during rain as we saw during our visit. So if you are tent camping, check out your site carefully. Camp office staff was very friendly. The camp office sells firewood. There is a RV dump station at the marina across the street. The marina also sells fishing licenses and does kayak inspections (you have to have a sticker to use kayaks in Yellowstone waters). Big bison roam the campground as do an occasional bear, so use of the provided bear boxes and keeping your camp clean is highly recommended. Nice campground. Very crowded during summer.

Nice pull off top of pass

Dirt road to site after pull off parking area. no amenities but the views are wonderful. You can see the Tetons and the area is prime for wildlife viewing.

Beautiful area, awesome place

As usual with me, it’s more about the area than the actual campground, but this is actually probably my favorite campground in the Tetons. It just has a really nice feel to it and it’s obviously in a beautiful area. You can walk right to the lake from the campground.

You can find sites close to others or pretty secluded so it’s got something for everyone. There’s a ton of regular camping sites and also some for bikers and hikers. I think all are first come first served.

My friends and I had a great time here. We drove into the park and did some back packing in the death shelf area. We stayed at the campground and chilled for a night before doing some climbing. Really nice campground right in the heart of the Tetons.

Big crowded campground & centrally located

Madison Campground is a huge campground with 278 site, needless to say you will not be camping alone here, or with much privacy. The campground is set amongst lodge pole pines. While this is a large campground the sites are decently sized and not right on top of each other, but close. We had a quiet stay, but with the size of this campground your odds of that one loud group or family being near will be quiet high. Allow yourself plenty of time to check-in, as the process will be quite slow if numerous campers show up at the same time. The campground appears to have two heated restrooms per loop, with a dish washing station at them. You will not have to throw out much trash during your visit, the campground has a large recycling area, including compost. You can recycle type 1& 2 plastic, cardboard, aluminum& steel cans, glass bottles and camp stove fuel bottles. The campground roads are all paved as are the parking pads. Each site has a picnic table and metal fire ring. Bear food lockers are located through out the campground, but you might need to share with fellow campers as each site does not have their own. Of the 278 site, 62 are tent only and there are 3 group sites. Cost to camp is$28 per night. The price is a little steep, but this campground has the advantage of being fairly centrally located to most of the top attractions in the park, plus you are only 15 miles away from West Yellowstone where you can stock up on everything you might need.

Great location, good amenities :) , disgusting bathrooms, price gouging :(

So, we just returned from our first trip to GTNP and Yellowstone, and tented 3 nights at Colter Bay (also 1 night at Jenny Lake, and 1 night at Gros Ventre).  First, GTNP and YNP in autumn is amazing, and Colter Bay has many great services conveniently available in the campground, such as a well stocked camp store, decent showers, one restaurant, and laundry.  Colter Bay camp ground is also close enough to YNP to be within striking distance for day trips up to all the southern attractions (although Headwaters at Flagg Ranch would be more centrally located between the parks).

Now the bad news:  the bathrooms in the campground look like they have never been cleaned or maintained.  The maintenance crew should be fired.  No hot water, broken cold water faucets. brown smelly urinal, filthy floors and stalls.  WTF?  I guess the teenagers they hire for summer workers don't like cleaning bathrooms.  At this point, its probably a good idea to gut the entire bathroom and start over from bare walls.  I would rather primitive camp in the nearby forest - oh, wait, thats illegal.  I'd have to drive 30 miles to get outside the national park before primitive camping is allowed…

One more gripe:  although there are many services provided by the national park service or their concessionaires (Vail Resorts) available to campers in the campground, is it really necessary to gouge campers on everything they sell?  $32/night to tent, $40 for breakfast for 2, $7.50 for a box of 4 logs, $4 for a shower,   I realize the park service claims they are woefully under-funded, but camping is supposed to be a good value for the vacations of middle class Americans, right?  After all, they market it as "your national parks" and I pay my taxes, and then they charge me again?  If its my national park, then I charge too much for everything.

OK.  I feel better now.  Other than these items, GTNP is a beautiful place.

Magical

Heaven!!!! That's all there is to Say….. There is great camping all over…. For dispersed Camping Free and Probably best views …. Shadow Mountain is the Ticket…. Grovant Campground is another wonderful Place….

I mean It's Yellowstone

Without a doubt…. Greatest Place on Earth…..

Liked the park

We called 3 nights and enjoyed the experience.  Mother nature at its best.  The rates were reasonable.  Enjoyed cooking out.

I have been here 3 times best view ever. It is primitive no water or toilets.

How do you describe heaven, with bad roads. I would never go anyplace other than shadow mountain.

Beautiful spot!

This place is beautiful and dog friendly! The people there were so nice to us when we arrived and the river was absolutely amazing!

A beautiful place to camp in the Tetons

First come, first served.  Thankfully they seemed to have plenty of spaces the week we were in Grand Teton NP.  We came down from Yellowstone with our trailer.  I was hoping to stay here as I love Jackson and this spot is fairly close to town, about 30 minutes.  It was raining so we went out to dinner a few times and spent the rest of our time driving and hiking.  Didn't hang out in our campsite during the day or evening too much.

These sites seemed really small.  We got our 16 foot trailer in just fine but getting our SUV off the road would have been impossible if it were any longer.  We watched the neighbors struggle to back their trailer in for quite a while, with all the nastiness that goes along with that.  Road through the loop was blocked off and everything.

The bathrooms were clean and right across the road.  Beyond the bathroom was lots of woods and stream bed full of animal trails.  If you are looking for wildlife, just camp here. Moose a plenty.  Also found a beautiful buck hiding back in the trees as we took a walk behind the campground.

No hook ups but there is an RV dump and you can refill your water tanks if needed.  The scenery is gorgeous here.  I will camp here every time I come back.

Week long home base in Yellowstone

I really enjoyed camping here.  We were on A Loop which is right by ranger booth where you check in.  It was actually pretty entertaining place to be.  You get to see a wide variety of camping rigs, that's for sure.  Our site was in the RV loop so no hook ups but it was paved and really level.  We booked in February for our trip the beginning of September.  I was shocked at how huge this campground is!

The bathroom was small and basic, but clean.  Actual flush toilets and running water.  Every site has a large bear box for storage, a fire pit, and a picnic table.  You can buy firewood at the ranger booth for $7 a box.

We stayed the whole week so it seemed like we had new neighbors almost every night.  Did not see any bears but we saw bison and a beautiful bull elk in the trees behind our site.  The elk were bugling almost every night.  There are Ranger led educational talks at the amphitheater every night.  I really enjoyed that.  We also went down to the Bridge Bay Marina and took their scenic boat ride.  So fun!  I recommend checking that out too.

Nice, quiet spot

This was a nice spot for a 3 day weekend, we got there early Friday so there were still a lot of spots. It was rainy and foggy so we didn’t drive all the way up the road as others suggested since you couldn’t see the view anyway. There are some nice fire rings built and the there are porta-potties by the first couple spots. Our spot was right next to a bear box where you can stow your food. We saw a few deer, but not much else. However I did hear a lot of howling the first night. Saturday night it got pretty packed, mostly just van campers looking for a spot to park so it was still quiet. Would love to camp here again when it’s not so foggy and rainy! The road wasn’t so bad for the lower spots, but if you plan to go further out you’ll definitely need 4x4. The trees were BEAUTIFUL!

Beautiful location

We saw this campground on Dyrt on our trip through Wyoming to Teton National Park and decided to stay for a night or two. Glad we did! Actually ended up spending 5 nights. Lots of hiking trails, beautiful views, very clean and well dispersed sites. There are electrical hookups in loop A and loop B is primitive. Easy access for RV/Trailer camping and plenty of tent sites as well. First come first serve, but I don’t it gets much use as it is so close to most people’s destination of Yellowstone that they just drive on by. Too bad for them! We had the whole place to ourselves for several nights. Nice waterfall to view also. We will be back!

Beautiful!¡!

Most sites are on the banks of the Fall River with great views. Very clean. Good access nearby to Yellowstone National Park at the Bechler Ranger Station and Cave Falls. Cave Falls is beautiful and we spent time watching a nesting Osprey. Nice network of trails. Very popular spot for fly fishermen because there is also good access to rivers in YNP.

Clean, Close by others

This campground was nice, had flush toilets, a place to wash dishes, and water. There was no tent pads, had picnic tables, and a bear box. As expected with a big park there are lots of camper around, luckily most people respected the quiet hours.

Amazing

We had the most beautiful site in the F loop with great views of Yellowstone lake. Giant bull elk grazed and slept nearby every day we were there (4 nights). Saw bears moving through the area, but none that stuck around. Clean bathrooms.

Fantastic Camper Site

Check-in was super helpful to a rookie camper.  They suggested how we should pull into the site in order to face the correct direction and they informed us all about the fresh water refill station as well as the black water dumping station.  Site was simple to pull in and out of and the trees provided a good amount of privacy.

With Colter bay marina nearby, there was plenty to go see and do.  We will definitely stay here again in the future.

Tight, cozy campsite.

Campsite had great services; plenty of restrooms, washroom for dishes and showers for campers.  The check-in was super easy and they were very friendly.

The only issue we had was getting our camper into the site.  They advertised our particular site as a pull-through site and we nearly got our camper stuck trying to pull in.  It took some doing, but we got parked properly.  It would have been far easier to just back in to this particular lot.

Our camper is just over 31', so that could have been a factor.

Go here!

Loved this place. We have a Jeep x and Towed a tab 320 boondock up here. Lots of cars and vans are able to make it up. Very busy get there early. Local spot, they seem to reserve the sites ahead of time for their groups so when they “feel like it” they can show up. There are more sites 1-5 or so up the hill further. Road is pretty rough. Most gorgeous sunsets we have ever seen. We will definitely be back, even considering we’re making a long trip from MN. Clean vault toilets. Host was selling firewood. Close to town to grab dinner etc but still feels remote. Did have some elk poo in our site but didn’t see any animals. A few pull through sites.

Ranger review Outdoor Element's Kodiak Survival Braid at Bakers Hole

Bakers Hole Campground - A hop skip and jump from Yellowstone NP

Bakers Hole Campground is the perfect spot for a Yellowstone National Park jumping off point. Located just over 3 miles from the park entrance puts you in easy striking distance of just about everything in the park. The campground sits along the Madison river, making it a nice choice if you enjoy fishing. It features paved roads with gravel parking pads, vault toilets, picnic tables and metal fire rings at each site, and most sites have their of bear food storage. This is a first come first served campsite, but just because it doesn't take reservation doesn't mean it will be easy to find a spot, this campground fills up fast. 33 of the 73 sites have electricity. Two fully ADA sites are available. Drinking water is available at several taps located throughout the camp. The friendly camp hosts are almost always on duty and patrolling the camp. They also have firewood for sale if needed. The campground is near the highway but didn't notice to much noise during the night.

Ranger review Outdoor Element's Kodiak Survival Braid

Outdoor Element's Kodiak Survival Braid is a great survival bracelet. A very cleaver idea to place the ferro rod and striker in in the bracelets buckle. It sparks up very nicely making our charred cloth and cotton balls with Vaseline easy to get started. I got the large size which is just a little big, but the medium was not quite big enough. I liked that the Kodiak came with a sample piece of para cord to check out the features in the cord it self. Pulled out the Jute and made a little nest and gave the striker a try and after a few attempts got a spark to take hold and had a fire. With fishing line in the para cord and a hook hidden within this bracelet is all set to save you behind if needed.  Will definitely be taking the Kodiak on future outing.

Treasure!

After spending a few nights in generic RV parks Atherton Creek is a breath of fresh air. I think there is only one or two full hookup sites available so the rest of the sites are just campsites.

The views of the lake are wonderful, the host is helpful and the campground is quite small. Despite its limited number of sites we had no problem finding a prime site. This is due to the somewhat, out of the way, location. The road is bumpy but paved.

Highly recommended.

Views!

Camping on Shadow mountain can be a game of chance. But it can be rewarding. As you drive off hwy 89 and head east toward Kelly you will beer north. This is not a campground, there are just places to pull off and camp as you drive up Shadow. I head there is a campground and RV park but we didn’t go there.

We found a spot to camp nothing is provided, just a spot of dirt and views of the Tetons.

The only problem in the summer is that there’s a late night party crowd that can swoop in and can be noisy.

First come first served.

Wildlife in campground!

Spent one night in this campground before we went to a full hookup spot. Spacious sites, didn’t look into someone else’s camper when looking out yours. No hookups. No showers. Clear bathrooms. Did notice some tents get flooded as it rained quite a bit while we were there. Had several buffalo wonder through camp. Fun to watch. Glad I wasn’t in a tent. Heard that a grizzly had wondered through the week before we were there.

Best campground in Yellowstone

My favorite campground in YNP. Close to my personal favorite places in the park. Full hookups. Clean bathrooms/showers. Need to have a hard sided camper since this campground is in grizzly territory (makes it more exciting).

Great place to stay between YNP and GTNP!!!

Clean place to stay on the Snake River. Excellent location if planning to do both parks! We hiked down to the river in the evenings and watched the sunset. Gas was cheaper at the gas station there since it is technically not in the national parks. 🤫

Lots of amenities

Loved this campground--excellent location close to the stunning Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. Showers, flush toilets, steps away from a camp store, visitor center and restaurant. Of all the awe-inspiring sights in Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon remains my favorite, and I'm glad I was staying close enough to run out and watch the sun set on the falls.

gorgeous view, bears make it to much work.

Absolutely beautiful place to camp and that's about it for me here. If you want a spot show up at 6 AM and take a nap until 8 AM when it opens to let you go get a site. If you don't do this you will not get a spot. Their is only one bathroom in the entire campground its O.K. no showers at all. I'm the camper that likes to set things up and enjoy the actual camp site. I like to set up a good eating cook out area and enjoy a lot of food and hanging out. I'm not the bare minimum next to nothing eating out of an MRE camper. That being said the amount of cleaning and putting every thing away for the bears is way to much work and made the camping not fun at all. I don't blame the bears or anything else it was a lot more than I anticipated.

I would recommend using a camper not tent camping if you camp like me. If you're the bare minimum camper its perfect for you. I recommend this campsite though just absolutely beautiful place to be.