Riverton, WYOMING

The #1 Camping App

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Riverton Camping Reviews
Good?

My stay was weird (to me), as I got there late and left early and car camped and woke to snow I didn't anticipate and there were cattle grazing the area. I am not altogether sure I was supposed to stay but saw no posting to the contrary. Anyway, it was a beautiful spot. The creek is loud, which I liked, and the sun is beautiful rising on the hills.

Bull Lake Dispersed site

Heading North out of Riverton Wyoming is Bull Lake. The lake itself is hidden from the highway, but Bull creek has a large bridge that lets you know where to turn. The road is not bad, but can be tricky depending on the time of year and weather. It is a dirt road and prone to mud holes. Following the road up then crossing the dam got us on the side of the lake where we made camp, it was early summer so the water was pretty low and gave us access to sites that would otherwise be underwater. Firewood is easily found, but there is not much for stores so be prepared and take in what you will need. The fishing from shore was good with both Flyrods and baitcast. You will need a Wind River Reservation fishing license and permit to camp and fish here. Make sure to pickup a trash and leave it better than you found it. Enjoy

Off the grid

The setting is awesome. Very remote, scenic and quiet. Besides one other group of campers we were the only ones there for 2 nights Easy access to nice trails. We saw elk, shooting stars and were paid a visit by a herd of horses from a nearby riding camp. It took approximately an hour of driving on dirt roads and switchbacks to get to but well worth it. Would have been 5 stars but we did not see a campground host and some TLC was needed in the toilets and a few of the campsites..

Fountain of Youth

This is a nice spot when traveling through Wyoming. The sites could use a little upgrading that’s why I didn’t give it a 5-star rating. The bathrooms were clean, the showers and laundromat are coin operated, and there a full hook-ups for each site. The Mineral Pool is Awesome. Staff very friendly.

Clean, convenient and accomodating

Recommended due to its convenient location and accommodating facilities. There are even trees to provide some shade.

Nice but beware

We stayed 2 nites. Spouse said train kept him awake. At 6:30pm a truck came and fogged us with mosquito spray. We wouldn’t stay there again. Sorry Torrington, the mosquito spraying is not a good thing!

Hot springs on site!

Small campground. Charged for showers. Good for one night stay on a long trip to soak in the hot springs.

Freedom to have fun!

These primitive sites around the Christina Lake trailhead are open and made for larger RV's and equine trailers. Road goes right by the sites so not much privacy, but not a huge amount of traffic either. Nights will be cool and dark if no moon, there is a stream nearby so might be a bit buggy at times. Stargazing will be intense on a dark night and the coyotes will be heard yipping in the distance. Louis lake lodge is not to far but with very limited provisions, so save yourself a trip back down the mountain and pack wisely. Water will be available at a few campgrounds and the lodge. The road to Christina lake is a jeep trail, make no mistake about that regular 4×4's are risking severe damage. Firewood is pretty easy to comeby of you roam a little bit. Pack in pack out, leave it better than you found it. Enjoy

Free and breathtaking

Stayed 1 week and had an amazing time. Just drive in and find an empty place to camp. Very large spots with lots of room between sites. Easy access to trails and lake. Will g0 again!!!

A safe haven on a long drive

I'm not sure how Lander makes this work, but they do(and I wish more cities could do the same). We pulled in after dark needing a place to sleep and this place is more than we could have expected. Level ground and lots of room, so it was easy to find a spot for our trailer that required no backing up. Bathrooms nearby. Dark and quiet area(doesn't feel like a parking lot). There is a large gravel area with a couple large trees for RVs, trailers, vans, and such. There's also a large grass and trees area for tents adjacent. The whole area is next to a large riverbed with lots of vegetation along the banks. Everything seems clean and well-kept. Lander seems like a really nice town. It's relatively lush, unlike the surrounding country, and feels like an oasis. The signs say the city allows three day's camping and I would be happy to do so if I were ever in the area for an event(apparently there's an apple festival next week!). There's no fee, but there is a sign suggesting donations to the city park service which certainly seems reasonable if you can swing it.