West River , WYOMING

LIMITED TIME OFFER Try Pro Free for 3 Months

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent West River Camping Reviews
Camping and Beer near climbing? Sign me up!

We stayed here on a Friday and Saturday in July of 2018 while on a climbing trip. The brewery offered dispersed tent camping on their spacious front lawn for $5/night and, given the number of vans present in the parking lot, I'd imagine they offered van camping at the same price. As far as standard camping amenities go, campers have access to an indoor restroom until the brewery itself closes, after which there are porta potties available. There is clean water available.

Some of the non-standard camping amenities include beer (duh), a food truck, several picnic tables, and board games. They also sell the official Ten Sleep climbing guidebook inside and are dog-friendly (must be leashed). The staff are really nice as well!

The only downside to camping here was the noise of a wedding afterparty that the brewery hosted one of the nights. However, this only lasted until 11pm and comes with the territory (I mean, you are camping at a brewery!). While it's certainly not the most remote spot that you could find to camp around the Grand Tetons, it's tough to beat the atmosphere, price, and beer!

Wow

The veiws, trails, and sites are awesome. The creek with the hot springs are everything. I would definitely go back here. Its a little of a drive from the main road on a dirt road, I wouldn't recommend a small or low vehicle driving that road.

Spacious sites. Stayed in off season so no services, but no cost either. Had a moose walk right through our camp and go down to the lake.

Great place for gravel and mountain bikers to explore!

There are a ton of gravel and off-road opportunities for bikers. Pay attention to the trails rules because some trails do not allow bikers, so obey the trail rules. Some of the off-road trails are also shared by horses so be respectful of space. I met some friendly riders during my exploration ride! The campground is also close to a paved road, which could be a fun road ride tour. The snow-capped mountain views from the campground are beautiful! There are some more private campsites that have a dispersed and primitive vibe even though you are still pretty close to the running water and toilets. There are gravel roads that connect the different campgrounds which would be fun for exploration and introductory gravel riding. If you are not reserving a spot ahead of time, make sure that you show up early (before noon) in the busy summer season because the spots fill up quickly.

Nice National Forest Campground

I’m giving this 5 stars but my review still comes with a warning. Campsite #9 is next to the outhouse and you can definitely smell it when the wind blows or if it is getting heavy use. That being said, you are camping in the high country. I used my campsite to day hike trail #63 to Lake Helen and back. It was an 11.3 mile hike from my tent. I was not lucky enough to see any moose or elk BUT there was much evidence of both. People with campers that are on the large side definitely struggled to park and level them. This sometimes required help from multiple other RV folks that were already onsite. Just like the reservations say, you pack in and pack out your own garbage. Some campers were unaware. The facilities were clean and my camp was clean. The camp host was lovely. Wood is purchased from the camp host miles away at the Island Park Campground. It’s easier to stop on your 7 mile dirt drive up, than it is to drive 5+ miles down and back for it. I camped here in a tent alone. I felt completely safe and secure in my surroundings. I was the only camper that didn’t live in Wyoming. Generators are allowed until quiet time. There were a lot of bats to watch at dusk. The wildfire smoke sadly blocked the views of the night sky.

Beautiful well maintained

Great spot in the Granite Creek recreation area. Once on the granite creek road there are about 20 sites with rock fire pits dispersed along the river for 8 miles (down a dirt road). Then you will hit the actual campground which has a lot of good spots with picnic tables, bear boxes and fire rings. Sunny and shaded spots available. There is a beautiful waterfall about 1/2 a mile up from the campsite where you can walk into the river. Another 1/2 mile up you will get to the hot spring pool $8 per person. Really beautiful warm water and not busy. We camped Thursday night and the campground was about half full.

Disperses campong right down the road

Right past Owen campground. Tons of spots in the trees next to a big meadow. Pretty easy to get to, though I had to be careful in my small car. Free and would recommend.

High clearance 4x4 needed

Beautiful campsites, brook trout fishing in the lake and the creek below, as well as a 4x4 trail that makes a large loop between shell reservoir and lake Adelaide. We’ll definitely be back!

Beautiful campsite in canyon near creek

Beautiful campground in canyon of the Big Horns and near a creek. Great trout fishing there per the host. Campsites are right on the creek #4 is RIGHT on the creek and you can just walk down to it to fish. Cleanest vault toilets we have ever seen. All first come first serve $16

One of my favorite High Country Campgrounds

We took a motorcycle trip from Missouri to Yellowstone and stopped here for 3 nights on the way. This is an excellent Primitive campground with unbelievable views.

Although it has minimal services, it makes up for it with the views. Make sure to wake up early and walk to the lake, there was moose hanging out when we were there. Even the drive into the campground is nice. The high elevation makes the evenings cool.

I would go back here in a heartbeat, if I’m ever in the area, I will plan to stay here.

Pros: Very primitive feel, nice toilets for being so far out, shady campsites with plenty of room,

Cons: The long 7 mile gravel road on cruiser motorcycles is a pain.