About Birch Bay State Park

Set in a blue cove between Bellingham and Blaine, Birch Bay State Park feels private and secluded without being far from urban life.

Stroll along the rocky beach and take in dramatic views of the North Cascades Mountains and Canadian Gulf Islands. Or head up the Terrell Marsh interpretive trail to a rare saltwater and freshwater estuary teeming with birds and wildlife, including great blue herons.

Low tide reveals a wide mudflat with a treasure trove of clams and other shellfish that can be harvested in season. Bring out the pails, shovels, mud boots and licenses, and start digging! If you prefer to swim, Birch Bay is known for its relatively warm water, and if you'd rather be on the water, the park offers excellent crabbing, windsurfing, sailing and paddling.

Staying overnight? The friendly campgrounds, basketball court and environmental education programs in summer ensure fun for the whole family. If you're looking for a side trip, the U.S.- Canada border town of Blaine and the fascinating Peace Arch State Park are only 9 miles north, and the lively university city of Bellingham is 20 miles south. You can always spend an evening in town and return to the beachy bliss of Birch Bay.

Birch Bay State Park is located in Washington
14 Reviews of Birch Bay State Park
Beautiful!!

Great place for the whole fam! Lots of biking (motor and pedal), skateboarding, local C shop is a child’s dream, kayaking, crabbing, clamming, beach combing, great restaurants, such a beautiful place with the best sunsets!

Great Hike/Bike Sites.

My wife and I stayed here as part of our west coast tour. It has great views of the water and excellent accommodations for hikers and bikers. It's a really beautiful park.

Gorgeous views

We visited for day use and were not able to camp. We were with a larg3 grouo of family members. The campground is in a beautiful location. There is a lot of grass. It's on the water and perfect for beach combing, kite flying, and bbqing. We plan to actually camp here next summer and I will update my review at that time.

a beautiful campground with plenty of fun!

Limited electric sites but an abundance of basic sites. Bathrooms look brand new and are well maintained. We saw many people leaving from the site and returning with fresh crab from the sea. The only downside is that the park and beach is a little bit of a jaunt, so we took the vehicle - loaded it up and parked at the beach for a few hours at a time. The park is also in a unique spot and your parking pass also lets you skip paying at the beach. This is one of or favorite spots to camp now. Along the coast, there is every type of WA beach - rocky, good for tide pools, semi rocky for trying to find clams and sand dollars and pure sand, perfect for making castles.

Pure nature

I camped there with my tent and i just loved how close it was to the beach! Very friendly stuff! I enjoyed my stay.

Fantastic and family friendly

I was a little concerned at first with this campground because it's such a busy area. Once you're into the campground however, it's like you are in a place far off the beaten path. I was amazed at how quiet and peaceful it is. The camp is laid out beautifully, you dont feel too close to your neighbors. There are full bathrooms and showers. Potable drinking water is close to every camp. I loved being able to walk 5 minutes down to the beach or stay cool in the huge trees at camp. There's tons of wildlife and lots of explorable area. We'll be going back again soon!

Great sites, amazing beach!

We just did a quick over-nighter here on our way back from CA. We set up camp and had our dinner on the beach to watch an incredible sunset!

our drive-up site was great, well maintained with bathrooms nearby.

Wish we could’ve stayed longer!

Small But Fun

This has to be one of my all time favorite places for Shell Fishing and Crabbing!

peaceful and not too busy, access to the beach, and group camp sites, makes this a family destination for quiet fun.

This is the place to get away from it all and enjoy the beauty that Nature has to offer.

Dont forget your Shellfish license and hit those beaches at low tide, because dinner is going to be delicious!

Great beach access

Beautiful beaches and nice campsites. Had a rowdy group camping behind us who raged late into the night.

Sunsets on the Beach

If you're the type that loves walks along the beach and breath taking sunsets… Brich Bay State Park is the place to be!