Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest, WASHINGTON

Camping Washington Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest
Most Recent Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest Camping Reviews
When winter hookups are needed......

I am surprised to find how often we camp in the snowy winter months, empty campgrounds are a plus this time of year! Come summer you won't be able to get a reservation in this park, but in January it was wide open! We have stayed here for many years to enjoy the Chelan WinterFest Festival in January. The park is within walking distance of town and is perfect for the festival weekend. You may notice the pictures are of different trucks and campers as we have visited this park throughout the years! We have only stayed in this park once in the summer months, and that was for a skydiving visit. Good basic RV park style camping.

Camp on the "Canyon" Edge

Just off I90 in Eastern WA at Vantage. This is primarily a rock climbers base camp, but also serves well for a great overnight stop where you can camp right on the edge of the canyon, get in some nice vista views,& a short hike to a"falls". You will share this spot with other campers, busy even in winter. One note about access, the entrance to this camping area has some pitch to it. Better suited for high clearance vehicles, and brave souls in truck campers……

Even in the rain - this place is great!

My first time camping at Ross Lake was at Colonial Creek - which actually has access to Diablo Lake.  It was pouring down rain - typical for the Pacific Northwest, but we still had a blast.  Clean bathrooms, plenty of space for cooking, cleaning, playing card games.

Beatiful, Quiet Camping

We made reservations here 9/3-9/5. We had a dry camping, asphalt parking site next to the restrooms at the end of the loop (near the camp hosts). It was very quiet here and the area is just beautiful.

The roads through this campground are a bit tight and have a few low-hanging trees, so be aware if you have a larger rig. Our 32’ fifth wheel was fine but I wouldn’t want to go much longer than that.

There are plenty of hiking, fishing, and sight-seeing available in the area. This campground was a great jumping-off point for visiting nearby Mount Rainier National Park.

The campground has both dry camping and water/electric hookups, but no dump station. Flush toilets and pit toilets were located in the campground; the flush toilets we were next to were clean. There are several water spigots scattered throughout the dry camping loop, although they weren’t threaded so we couldn’t run a hose to them. Washing dishes at the spigots and in the restrooms was discouraged.

Nearby Enumclaw had everything we needed. The drive through the forest to get there was nice and we spotted several moose in the trees.

Verizon signal was spotty.

Great park

What a lovely park. Very picturesque along the river and great customer service!!

October Camping weekend

I went to Leavenworth for the Oktoberfest event with friends. We stayed there for two nights. We checked in and out very easily and it was very perfect. There are something that I like about KOA. It is perfect for large group to stay there for a weekend for an event in Leavenworth because it has excellent shuttle transportation to Leavenworth. Not only that the campground gives many options that they have such as hot tub, breakfast, coffee, fire pit, games and etc. And it has awesome the views of mountains and even better the view of river which it is right next to the campground! And we had a great weekend there during the weekend of October!

Pitch your tent but you won't be alone!

I really like camping here, but it's a specific kind of camping.  I give it 4 stars since it has a lot of fond memories and we come here often.  We have a ton of fun on the water and with our friends.  If you don't like zero amenities, heavy day use, or the possibility of folks having a noisy party, it's probably not for you.   It's free, you can camp in the woods right on the water.  Do not expect privacy or peace and quiet.  There are also no facilities of any kind so come prepared and use leave no trace principals please!

We have camped with groups of friends here for many summers.  The day use is very heavy.  People even launch their gas powered boats from shore.  We like to bring our kayaks and do some early morning or late night paddling and fishing.  We also bring our river inner-tubes and a little boat anchor to do some beat the heat floating.

Access can be tough as the water level of the lake can vary.  From the Lake Easton/Sparks exit, head down Sparks Road and turn on NF 4818 which is a dusty, narrow, gravel road.  If the water is high most of the sites you will have to park on the side of the road and walk down to.  If the water is low, keep an eye out for a lake access pull off on the left.  It's rough but all sorts of cars and boats on trailers can be found making there way down.  You can drive along the lake in both directions until you find your perfect spot.

Get there early if you want to camp. Lots of families but lots of loud parties too.   Great fishing for white fish and Kokanee.

Small paradise

First visit to Washington and I went camping in my hammock. Perfect cold weather. Unfortunate that the wood was too dry for any fire. Next time!

Remodel Completed

This park has been completely remodeled with new shower/bathrooms and more rv & tent spots. Hosts are helpful and town has couple of restaurants and good size grocery store etc. Gas station and Fruitstand have delicious hand dipped ice cream cones. Will be hard to get a spot once shade trees mature! Would be 5 stars except we like to disperse camp over park camp.

Great spot to relax and soak up the sun!

Very nice, clean and well maintained campground. The grass and landscaping is immaculate. The sites are large and spread out. There are only a few select spots with partial shade. This campground is a great spot to relax, soak up the sun or watch a set of A-18 Fighter Jets fly through the valley while training.

Check out our blog at www.unnamedadventures.com and follow our journey on Facebook and Instagram or on our YouTube Channel at Unnamed Adventures.

Great location with awesome views of the Columbia River Valley

Great location with awesome views of the Columbia River Valley. Well maintained grounds and amenities for a Thousand Trails campground. Awesome and accommodating staff.  There is a walking path that you can access easily from the campground that goes to the end of Crescent Bar.

Functional unmarked campground

Travel delays got me into the Wenatchee area pretty late and I missed all the walk in spots at the main campgrounds. It was dark and I don’t know the area so this app really helped me. This site is unmarked off the side of the road and questionably a ‘real’ campsite, though there was one other group there in a similar situation. I didn’t see any ‘no camping’ signs like I saw elsewhere. It’s pleasantly right on a river. There are no fire pits or amenities of any kind.

First Time

Pretty decent campground. A little too close to a road, we heard cars driving by at night. Camp host seemed nice. We took trailers and the spot we were in required the trailers to be a little too far away from the fire/social area.

Ranger Review: Ice Mule coolers at Bumping River

campground: my family and i have been enjoying this area since i was a kid. this spot will always hold a very special place in my heart. camping along bumping river seriously has it all, wide open sites that allow shooting, biking, fishing, fires, you name it. a very short drive to the lake. please keep this area clean! this is a dispersed camping area, no toilets, no tables, no potable water. be prepared and do your part to keep our forest clean.

Product: As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At Bumping River CG, I tested two Icemule Jaunt 9-liter capacity cooler backpacks! Im giving this product a 4 star rating! These backpacks are very small and compact which I love. Its rated to hold a 6 pack but I would say you can comfortably fit 7! Its comfortable, light and stylish to wear. They kept our drinks cold, my only complaint was that I noticed on day 3 it was starting to sweat. We were camping in very warm weather so I think that played a part. I would not recommend using this bag as your main source of cooler. Certainly perfect for a day out on the boat, kayak, bike ride or even a short day hike.

Highway noise

Not a big fan of any KOA, but this one is really close to the highway and the noise is very obnoxious. The park is ok in terms of cleanliness but sites are small and very close together. Way overpriced.

Love this place

Lovely, peaceful campground. This small, family owned park is perfectly located near the charming town of Ellensburg. Quiet and well maintained park with large pull through sites perfect for big rigs.

Love this place

Our go to spot, love walking the dogs around the lake and along the gravel road. It’s very quiet and peaceful. The part is clean and the camp hosts are very friendly and helpful. They have vaulted toilets, they are clean but towards the end of the season they can sometimes get stinky so we always bring air fresheners to leave in the bathrooms..

A Campground for the Very Lucky

The Snow Lake Zone is one of the permitted camping areas in the Enchantments. Permits  here  are very hard to get via the lottery (but easier to get than a permit for the Core Zone). You can also camp in the Snow Zone if you have a Core permit.

Snow Lakes is amazing. It's about 8 miles backpacking in from the Snow Lake Trailhead. It's at elevation, but not as cold as the Core Zone.

There is a backcountry toilet at Snow Lake (no walls, just a toilet),  but no other amenities.  There is water everywhere in the Enchantments, if you have a filter, you're never more than steps away from an alpine fresh water bottle refill.

I used my 15 degree sleeping bag end of July (I'm a cold sleeper and the temps were about 30)

There are no fires allowed.

The best camping place we found  was a little spit at the far end of  the lake (almost all the way to the end that is closest to the core zone)

Beautiful site

Spacious sites. Quiet and relaxing. We chose a spot close to the water and this is by far the nicest camp site we have ever experience. 11/10 stars!

Beautiful but noisy

This WA state park is one of the most beautiful and well maintained I’ve ever seen. It features nicely paved roads and site pads, ample level tent pads, lots of full hookups and great views of lake Easton nestled amongst tall firs. There is a great swimming area and boat launch as well as playground in the day-use area. The big downside is that it is pretty close to I-90 and road noise is the constant soundtrack. It’s not unusual to see a black bear in this area but they don’t seem to be too big of a problem. This park may not be a destination park, but it’s proximity to Seattle Metro makes it a good stop over.

Great park!

My husband and I stayed in the north campground and absolutely loved it. Sights were not too terribly close. Quick walk down to the water. Lake is absolutely beautiful. South campground had a store with hot food and ice cream (we didn’t try anything) as well as basic supplies. Only about a 20 minute drive from Leavenworth.

We made it at the last possible minute...

Arriving later than expected, when it is darker than can be believed, is bad enough.  Then there is setting up in the dark: ARGH!  But the camp host turned our anxieties around, as he came whipping cheerfully through the gate in his golf cart to let us in at 9:55, exclaiming “You just barely made it!.”  (No kidding! The Campground Rules state that “Campers must be checked in and through the gate by 9:30, and set up in their site before 10PM.”)  Without any further ado, he led us to our site, was very kind and understanding, and helped my husband back our trailer into our site in the pitch black. He kindly came around again in the morning to check on us…  We had to get going early so I can’t comment on the entirety of the campground, but our site was beautiful and clean, and within a very short walk to the gorgeous Yakima River.  The bathrooms were pristine, and the hookups worked great (our first time hooking up with our new-to-us vintage trailer in the wild!) They even had a couple items that we needed in their tiny store, which is largely stocked with RV tools and equipment, a few gifty items, ice and snacks.  We wished we didn’t have to be on our way so early…  Next time we will stay a couple!

Shame on me, never again!

Absolutely horrible experience. Price is gouging, most expensive camp for very little,$70 got us water and power with a small site. Brutally slow wifi. Hot tub’s heater and jets don’t work. To top it off, a kid shit in the pool which caused the staff to close it for the night at 6pm. It’s 95 degrees out and the only reason we considered this over priced joke of a campground was for the use of it’s pool and hot tub, both of which are grossly inadequate. Extremely loud, busy, lots of unsupervised screaming kids running around and crying babies in the middle of the night. Tightly crammed spaces. Save your money, time, and sanity by seeking accommodations else where.

Beautiful Place!

My wife and I attempted to drive a 1977 motor home over Steven's Pass, and ended up stranded here for almost a month while it was repaired. Best place I've ever broken down by far. It is SO gorgeous here, especially for being within walking distance to groceries and such. So many days waking up with wildlife in our space. They have quite a few well maintained trails in the area for hiking and exploring, and then of course there's the river down toward the bottom of the camp. I would live here if they'd let me :)

Words can’t describe!

Was a great camp ground to camp at. We were traveling through so we only stayed 1 night but it was pretty fun aside from the roaring train horn in middle of the night. Other than that, completely satisfied with the stay!

Way too crowded

A pretty lake. The campground felt more like an outdoor hotel. The beach get ridiculously crowded. There is a handy little store that sells everything you might need. Even ice cream.

Needs a weed whacker

My family and I stayed in D10, the camp site needed a weed whacker and pokeberriers needed pulled. I don't think anyone ever stayed at that site for awhile.

Fav campground

Beautiful views anywhere you look. Not a short drive by any means to get there but worth the trouble. Family camped in spot number 1 which is a walk-in. Def recommend this one. It’s conveniently close to a pit toilet and has a view of the water. Situated far enough from other sites to feel like seclusion.

Trees!

Upper Johnny Creek isn’t by the water in most spots. There are many mature trees and the site was well maintained. We went in August and there were a lot of flies and wasps

Duped! Site 18? Awful!

View from Eightmile Campground spot 18 was awful! Wish I could post pics. We were between the two host sites, in a site intended for a co-host….looking at the back of one host camper and two sheds, complete with septic pumping into the ground and essentially a junkyard on the one side of us, electrical cord running through our site overhead. It was a"lovely" view from the fire pit. Not sure how they think it's okay to make threat a reservable spot without seeing it first! Was not the out of doors experience we were after. Whatever you do don't pay over$100 for 2 nights for spot 18. We ended up going up to upper Johnny Creek instead…and paying again.--August 12, 2019