About Deception Pass State Park

Deception Pass State Park is a 4,134-acre marine and camping park with 77,000-feet of saltwater shoreline, and 33,900-feet of freshwater shoreline on three lakes. Rugged cliffs drop to meet the turbulent waters of Deception Pass.

The park has 167 tent sites, 143 utility spaces, five hiker / biker sites, two dump stations, 20 restrooms (four ADA), and ten showers (four ADA). Camping is located at three locations in the park, 18 tent sites and two utility sites are at Bowman Bay, seven tent sites and 54 utility sites at Quarry Pond, and 147 tent sites and 83 utility sites are at Cranberry Lake. Maximum site length is 60-feet (limited availability).

In addition there are four campsites on Hope Island north shore bay, the pay station is near the east campsite, a vault toilet is in the woods 100-feet south of the campsites. The rest of the island is a natural area preserve and off limits to recreational use. Standard primitive campsite rules apply.

Deception Pass State Park is located in Washington
45 Reviews of Deception Pass State Park
One of the best

This is a giant park with a ton of campsites but you are advised to make reservations. Even though there are a lot of sites, you are evenly spaced out and each spot typically feels bigger than it is. The spots do lap on top of each other as the go up a hill and sound sometimes gets loud. As far as recreation this park offers it all from kayaking, hiking, boating, fishing, and biking. The diversity and scenery gives it all an A Plus and the designation as one of the best parks in the area. I will definitely be back.

Amazing views and beaches

I have camped at Deception Pass twice in the past month. We did site #190 & #193. They both have trails leading to the beach with and excellent view of the well known bridge. Definitely walk across the bridge. And then go to the beach and take some pictures with the bridge in the background! They sell firewood but I've never seen it open (I've never camped on a weekend). They also have a little coffee stand that I imagine is open on the weekends. It wasn't open weekdays. This is definitely a great place to kayak with the lake and there is a beach roped off for swimming with a deep end. It's a little warmer because it's not out in the Puget.

Ranger Review: GCI Outdoor Recliner at Deception Pass State Park

Campground Review:

Such a beautiful campground with so many families! It was wonderful to see kids (and parents) everywhere. The views were fantastic from all sides, from giant old growth trees to sparkling water views, this is a MUST camp destination! We went during Memorial Day, so the campground was crowded, but our spot, 183, was honestly perfect. It felt separate from the many other campers. The Park Rangers were phenomenal! Someone had taken our spot (they thought it was drop in camping) because we arrived so late, but the Rangers came and sorted it out. We got into our spot and set up just as it was getting dark, they made sure to check up to make sure we got into our site. They made our experience so wonderful and easy!

Product review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time - today I am testing the GCI Outdoor Recliner (https://www.gcioutdoor.com/tailgate-chairs/outdoor-recliner/). I wish I could give this chair 10 stars, honestly! The chair was wide enough for my hips (size 18 women) which is ALWAYS a struggle, the recline is just enough not to be drowsy, but relaxing, and the “pillow” is the perfect storage for the chair’s bag. We LOVED sitting in these both by the campfire and at the beach (and maybe even playing video games in front of the TV at home too ;) ). Our only complaint was that it was difficult to play guitar in them, but that’s not a huge factor for us! We’ve definitely added these chairs to our recommended brands and will be keeping an eye out for other gear from this company!

Nice location near beaches and hiking.

I have camped at Deception Pass multiple times. The campground has Ocean access and hiking access. Overall the campgrounds are well maintained and the bathrooms were always well stocked. It is a popular campground for families, with kiddos riding bikes and running around. It is a larger campground with sites that are a good size and semi-private, some sites offering more privacy than other.  I have gone during July and August and most times there has been a fire ban. The campground offers propane fire pits for rent for a small fee. They do get rented up quickly so I recommend

not waiting and asking when you arrive. The site we stayed was not very private and the campers next to us played loud music most of the day and into the evening, however the camp host was dutiful in reminding campers to be courteous of fellow campers.  The campground books up very quick so reserve early.

Woodsy with Colorful rocks

We were in campsite 230. Had a great view of the lake. One downfall is there was a trail going passed our site and we saw more people than I would have liked. Jets commonly fly overhead, but we knew about that in advance, it wasn't that bad. The area had beautiful scenery, the bathrooms were kept clean and had flush toilets. The bathrooms were a decent walk away from site 230, but I like that. Walking near the bridge was full of a coast of beautiful rocks of all colors. Would definitely visit here again.

Very nice campground

A very nice campground. Stayed on 4/3/19 and wound up with great weather. From the sites you can walk to the beach where you can see the Deception Pass bridge, or to the shores of the pond on the other side. Sites are well spaced and neat. Only downside is that the park is in close proximity to the Whidbey Island Air Force Base, so you may be bothered with the loud noise of jets flying overhead, but when they aren’t flying the camp is very quiet.

Great cabins!

Our families rented some cabins together. They are newer and made for a great way to visit and camp in comfort. The restrooms are still in a shared location not far from the cabins and are clean and well maintained. The only downside is we were located on the opposite side of the highway from the water. But, overall a comfortable way to stay at Deception Pass.

There may be jet noise

Let me start by saying there is an active US Navy air base about 2 miles away and the campground is on the flight path. When we got there on Friday afternoon the F18 growlers were shooting touch and goes. Its noisy. When they finished, the Turbo pro and jet powered patrol planes took over. But the beach is great, there's lots of trails and the view from the top of Mt Erie ( not in the park but only a few mile drive ) is amazing.

very cool

Camping at a state park is new to us. We typically camp on DNR land or dispersed camping. Boy did this camp ground have it all! Fishing, kayaking, biking, hiking, swimming, showers, coffee, you name it! Very popular area, our site was pretty small but managed to fit 3 tents and two vehicles. All sites had picnic areas. Great beach spots and trails.