Lake Roosevelt National Recreation Area, WASHINGTON
Exceeded Expectations!!!!

Ranger Review: Aftershokz Trekz Air at Douglas Falls Grange Park

Campground Review:

Wow! Wow! Wow!

First off, a bit about the campground itself. It is owned by the local grange, right next to the Colville National Forest. It is free with a Discover pass. The discover pass is $10 for a day or $30 for a year and needed for a lot of parks in Washington. It is also located just outside of Colville, where you can get anything you need. There is about 8-15 sites. Why don’t I know? Well the campground loop intercepts the day use area, and what is a site, compared to the day use area, we can’t tell. On the main campground loop there is 8 sites. In the day use area, site #9 appears to be the only marked ADA accessible site, though many of the others seem just as accessible. Site #10 and #11 are a slight downhill walk from the parking area. Site 10 does not have a clear parking spot, where all of the other sites do. Site #12 is basically in the parking lot. When we arrived we drove the main loop and there were a few other campers, then we came to the day use area and site #12 had a tent pitched there.  There is a short car road that is a one way access with additional sites #13 #14 and #15, this road was closed, but may open in the future. There were black table cloths on the tables, indicating not to use. All sites have a fire ring, and picnic table. Some have a cute log bench right next to the fire.

There is no garbage service at this campground. Pack it in, pack it out, please, leave no trace. There are vault toilets supplied with plenty of toilet paper, they were very clean and have an air freshener that almost makes you forget you are in a vault toilet! There is a huge field with a backstop for baseball/softball, a covered picnic area, Horseshoes, hiking trails (with the main one being a 1.5 mile nature loop) and the highlight was a gorgeous 60 foot waterfall that you can see from the parking lot or take short walk to. There is also a pretty cool suspension bridge!

I had low expectations of this place, but I was very surprised! We took site #10 which is about 20 feet away from the upper portion of the falls. This site is a short walk from the parking lot, so you do have to walk your gear in.  The only other site in this area is #11 and it is a good distance away. From our site there is a small trail that leads to the main trail which goes to the top of the falls. If you take the main trail from the look out to the right there is access to the bottom of the falls. I listened to the waterfall all night and it was so peaceful and soothing I slept peacefully. The moon light over the falls was amazing, I wish I had my good camera! Did I mention the wildlife? Hawks, deer, super squirrels, Eagles, Chipmunks, Robins, Magpie and more!

Over all, I hated it, you shouldn’t go there so I can have it ALL to myself! But really, this is a fantastic place to camp. It’s a beautiful piece of land, with so much to see and do. Go, have fun, and thank me later!

Product Review:

Aftershokz Trekz Air- Bone Conduction Headphones.

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, sometimes I have the opportunity to review new products in exchange for an honest review. At this campground I tested Aftershokz Trekz Air- Bone Conduction Headphones. https://aftershokz.com/collections/all/products/trekz-air

These headphones are a wave of the future. Instead of sitting in your ear like most headphones, they sit on your jawbone. They are Bluetooth, so that means wireless! They are super easy to pair and connect with your phone. As with all technology, it is really best to charge them straight out of the box. The colored light on the side of the headphone is red if it is not charged or blue if it’s fully charged. The pads that sit on your jawbone sends vibrations through the bone to your year. They come in sleek colors, and they are so lightweight and comfortable you can forget they are there. The point of these headphones is to be able to hear the outside world around you and still listen to your tunes. This keeps you attentive to other people in the office or, in my case, able to hear your music over roaring waterfalls on the trail.

I had never heard of bone conduction technology before these headphones, and I certainly will remember now. These are funky and fresh. I love them, I love that they stay on my head while on the go, no cords to untangle and get in the way, or earbuds to pop out of my ear while walking. If you are not moving, the vibrations can be a little intense at higher volumes or songs with more bass, it makes it feel a little strange. They have a six hour battery life, and only takes about an hour and a half to charge. I also wish that there was a voice control in these as well so I could continue being hands free and answer the phone, skip songs or pause, at the same time. I hear that it’s in the works though, so I’m willing to wait. Plus, the button controls are easy to use, so it’s not a deal breaker. They come with a great carrying bag, ear plugs (if you don’t want to hear the world around you, you can use the earplugs to intensify to the volume of the Trekz Air.) and a charging cord. They also have a great warranty, return and exchange policy. There also arrived super quickly, I have been able to use them for a few weeks before the review, giving me the opportunity to get used to them and form an opinion.

These are by far the best headphones I have ever had and I don’t think I can go back to earbuds. I would definitely recommend these to anyone!

Idyllic campground overlooking a waterfall, FREE if you have a Discoverpass

One of my new favorite campgrounds I found while researching for the Dyrt was Douglas Falls Grange Park. I must admit I was sceptical on my way up there as there isn't much on the net about it and it is less than 5 miles from Colville, a decent size town. I was more than pleasantly surprised to find a well kept oasis that gives the feeling of being far from civilization. I saw no sign of noise/light pollution from the town 5 min. away, on the other side of the mountain.

Probably the most notable feature of this campground is its namesake, Douglas Falls. There are views of it from the parking lot as well as trails to the top and base with access to other trails. Another nice thing about this place is the extensive day use facilities. There is a groomed field with backstop, next to a covered group of tables and bathrooms.

I saw around 15 sites total with 2 clearly marked for day use and one was ADA. They mostly offered good spacing and sometimes even seclusion. My favorite sites were 10 and 11 as they were closest to the waterfall, tho many of the others seemed great also. There were bathrooms and potable water centrally located in both sections of the park. Since it is a state run park, camping is free for up to 7 days if you have a Discover pass, which is $10 a day, $30 for the year, or free from a wa public library! Keep in mind all sites are first come first served with no reserving, so show up early.

If you find you need a change of pace while camping here there is the aforementioned town of Colville just 5 minutes away with a walmart, several grocery stores, and even a drive-in theatre! It also has many other little shops and eateries. About 15 minutes on the other side of Colville is the Columbia river which provides lots of opportunities for hiking, swimming, boating, and fishing plus more activities.

Overall this campground is great and I hope you are able to get the same wonderful experience I did from it.

Cute, not super private, but there is only 13 sites.

The spaces were quite large and not very shaded. The lake is nice, but you can't see it from any of the campsites. Lake Ellen West is by far better. If you go down the road a little, there is a beautiful view of the lake. Vault toilets, picnic tables and fire rings are available. There are also dumpsters.

Such a pretty place!

I was here on the first day of the season and saw nobody! The grounds are beautiful. Really small campground, the sites are big with tables and fire rings. There are vault toilets too. The fishing pier is cute. Along the road on the way in to the campground, the side of the road appears to be a beach area. Where people have fire pits. It's very narrow so be careful!

The lake was very nice.

This lake is way up in the Colville National forest! The campsites were closed for the season, but it's about $6 for a overnight stay. The lake was pretty clear, and had nice reeds and a sandy beach. The campsites all he tables and fire rings. There is only 1 vault toilet.

Super small. Doesn't get much use

Seems much like a lot of the campgrounds in the Colville National Forest. Really quiet, there was nobody there but us! Vault toilets, picnic tables and fire rings at every site! The wildlife viewing is always nice. Bring binoculars! $9 in the off season and $18 in the regular season. So worth it depending on how many people are there in the summer.

Beautiful!

This campground was secluded and empty! It was an absolutely wonderful place to look at the stars and feel alone in the universe! Only $9 in the off season, $18 in the summer. Vault toilets, that are serviced well. I saw a ton of deer! There is also a Fishing pier and boat launch!

Words can't describe!

How incredibly beautiful and private. There are great camp sites in the upper loop, and then there is an area to hike all your stuff in. Only about a block. It's $9 in off season and $18 in the summer season. Vault toilets seem to be serviced regularly! Boat dock and fishing dock were both fun

Lovey little place.

Jerry's landing is adorable. A large cabin, a small cabin, room for a few RVS and tents. Rvs have full hoik ups and the tent and rv sites are $19 a night. There is a small store on the grounds, cheap boat rentals $17 per day for up to 4 people! Plenty of fishing! We had a blast on the boat. It's a nice grassy area, picnic tables, fire rings, bathrooms. Camping or day use, it's super fun and relaxing

Another great campground on Lake Roosevelt

All of the Lake Roosevelt campgrounds have such great history and scenery. The Columbia River lake area has so much history of Kettle falls. In the spring the levels of the lake are low and you can take several walking tours of the ruins. This is a quiet campground with not a ton of lake views in the spring. The water level is too low. I'm sure it's great in the summer. In the off season it is only $9 a night and the campgrounds are empty. I'm sure they are busy in the summer season when it goes up to $18 a night. The bathrooms have been clean each time I go.

Small and tight

It was empty when we went, the sites are very close together, and not private. There is a great waterfall that is accessible by boat only when the water levels are higher in the summer. In spring the lake is low for flood control. Only $9 a night in off season and $18 in the summer.

Very quiet in the off season.

We had a campground all to ourselves in early April. It is full of birds and waterfowl. Rocky cliff side down to the lake. In April the water levels are low for flood control. Beautiful sunsets, the site's are large and the road is good.

There are large sites for trucks, trailers. Tent camping is nice in the upper loop, but nothe a lot of shade in the lower loop. $9 in off season and $18 in peak.

Bathrooms were clean and had toilet paper. The walking tour at this campground is also nice. Full of history.

Clean and quiet in off season.

I have visited this campground last summer, it was pretty full, but they have access to a great little marina area. I camped there 2 weeks ago and it was very clean and quiet. Only a few other campers. We had a great view of the lake. In the off season there was no accessible water, there are bathrooms for sumner, but vaults in off season. Only $9 a night in off season. $18 in the regular season.

Great boat launch. House boats and boats available for rent in the summer, there is a marina store available with food and snacks as well.

New tables, fire grates on all the pits. There is also an ampitheater where they do events and lectures.

There used to be a town where the lake is. There is a great walking tour with signs.

Right on the Spokane River & very close to Lake Roosevelt

Although there is no hookups, there are restrooms with showers, there are a couple convenience stores fairly close, one has a cafe inside & is open year round, the other side of the river has a Skippers inside and in the summer there is a restaurant in the casino at the Two Rivers Casino & Resort

A high mountain isolated small lake

No motor boats and about 7 sites good swimming and weak fishing

Small RV Park Along Side Hwy 2

Stopped here late at night while traveling through on a motorcycle when everything else was full. Operator was very accommodating.

We go here every year

We visit this camp ground every year. It's a great spot with beautiful views, hiking, and water activities. Our friends bring a boat for water skiing but we also just lounge around the beach. Only drawback is there is usually a burn ban in the summer, so no camp fires, and the showers could.use some attention. We have started camping here in September instead of August like we used to because we've discovered the weather is much more pleasant and it is a lot less busy. The summer can be hot. We make sure to book a spot with shade. Also, pay attention to the lawn watering schedule for your area of the campground. Make sure your stuff is put away before the sprinklers start. This is a great place to stay with a family.

Hawk Creek Falls

I enjoyed my stay at Hawk Creek. There are plenty of places to fish and swim. We camped close to the Falls so we had a nice view from our campspot.

Reservations aren't needed

Paid $18 per night but starting October 1st the fee is reduced. I would check the website. Great for fishing. Overlooks lake roosevelt!

High clearance vehicles only

$10 per night, 2 vault toilets, 17 sites right off the creek, fires allowed. I would recommend 4x4 getting here. Great for fishing.

We stumbled on this resort because they were on the Passport America list. They are NO longer a passport America park as they are under new ownership. Nice large campsites, beautiful swimming area and cute little store and breakfast restaurant! Beautiful star-y skies and lots of deer at night!!! No fire ring at the site, there are picnic tables and we had a full hookup site! Staff was super friendly. Dog friendly!

off the road

Right off the highway, on lake roosevelt. 18 dollars a night. There are fire rings, picnic tables and vault toilets. All short walk in sites. Access to water, great for kayaking.

meadows!

Free. 17 sites, two different areas to choose from on either side of the lake. Accessible fishing dock. Vault toilets, picnic tables and fire rings. Trail around the camp ground that takes you threw the meadow and to a look out area which was pretty cool. The trail continues on to an old shelter that is also accessible by car.

free!

Smaller camp ground, 7 sites, with boat launch, good kayaking and fishing, picnic tables and vault toilets.

Beautiful lawn and view

Each site has access to nicely manicured lawn. The lake is a lot of fun and great walleye fishing. The bathrooms are starting to get a little old but bring your own camper for full hook ups! Nice fish cleaning station too

Family and Dog friendly

My family has been going to this campground and area since before I was born. We used to go every summer growing up. There's a designated swimming area for kids, a dock, and a playground. Definitely a busy spot mid summer season, but good for the whole family. Lots of boats of the lake, good for water skiing or wakeboarding. A bunch of smaller, more quiet and secluded beaches nearby.

Great Place for Families

This place has it all! Showers, weekend breakfast, a store, a kayak launch, you name it. This is a great place to come with your family and enjoy a day on the lake. They have big roomy sites and lots of lakefront.

Serene Desert Camping

Only spent one night, but it was a great spot. It's a primitive camping spot so you'll need to bring water. The campsite is right along Banks Lake and is super peaceful. I immensely enjoyed the crickets and frogs as I was falling asleep.

Designed for RV's and Trailers

Very small campground designed only for RV's and trailers. Swimming area is not considered safe, there are large chunk of concrete all along the edge. Fishing in this area is also difficult because of the snags and concrete. Boat launch was closed to vehicles when I visited. Lots of overflow traffic from Alder Lake Campground on weekends.

Sma campground, but feels like you are in the wilderness.

Quiet family place. Swimming hole. Water available. Bring own wood. Surrounded by private property, so no hiking. 1/2 hour from Spokane. Free with Discovery Pass. Fills up by Friday afternoon.