Lake Chelan National Recreation Area, WASHINGTON
Camping Washington Lake Chelan National Recreation Area
Most Recent Lake Chelan National Recreation Area Camping Reviews
Fav campground

Beautiful views anywhere you look. Not a short drive by any means to get there but worth the trouble. Family camped in spot number 1 which is a walk-in. Def recommend this one. It’s conveniently close to a pit toilet and has a view of the water. Situated far enough from other sites to feel like seclusion.

Scenic but crowded

The views here definitely make this primitive campground worth the drive but the neighbors definitely dictate your level of enjoyment. Located right on Baker Lake, this is a great spot to camp at for your water activities. The sites have the typical fire Ring and table but they are so crowded you may as well just use your neighbors.

1 right now but 5 soon

I have to give this a one star for now since alit if trees have been cut because of a fire. The grounds are charred but within a few years it should be better. The undergrowth is taking over for now. The campground does sit next to a stream and it will be really relaxing once the tree cover comes back.

Favorite off the path campground

This campground is primitive with only water and pit toilets but an absolute delight. The river is amazing and on a clear day you have amazing views of Mt Baker. You can go either direction to play on the water of Baker Lake or just relax. The spacing is good between campgrounds and each comes with a table and fire ring. I personally observed all bear precautions as rumors of bears around were plenty.

Favorite off the path campground

Cozy, quiet, primitive

This is a nice campground away from the large mass of people up the road toward diablo lake. It’s right off the hi-way and next to a river and easily accessible. They have put toilets and a nice set up with decent to large spacing between spots. It was actually astounding for this type of campground how spaced out you are. The big draw for me were the massive old growth trees here. I would definitely stay here again.

Fire recently

A forest fire has recently made its way through this campground. The forest service is cleaning it up as of June 2019. The sites were level and quiet. This campground would be a nice spot away from the crowds. It is close to baker lake.

Fantastic

We were surprisingly pleased with this campground. Our site was was a tent site only. The sites are spread out and do offer a little privacy. The sites have a picnic table, fire pit and a bear box. The restrooms a bit dated and you could defiantly tell they need to be updated. Diablo lake is beautiful and plenty of hiking trails to keep you busy. We will be back.

Ranger Review: Wenzel Double Never Flat Fabric Airpad at Lake Wenatchee

Campground Review:

While the lake and amenities were amazing (boat and paddle board rentals all day!) The camping itself wasn't our favorite. The sites didn't offer much privacy and had paths (to the bathrooms) right through many sites. We arrived on a Sunday and left on a Monday so it wasn't too crowded, with many open spots so the privacy didn't bother us too much. This is a family campground for sure, but we'd honestly consider going back just for the Lake and the views!

---------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time- today I am testing the Wenzel Double Never Flat Fabric Air Pad (https://wenzelco.com/double-neverflat-fabric-air-pad/). Honestly, we're HUGE fans! I'm plus sized and my fiance is quite tall and we fit on the pad, had the best camping sleep of our lives, and the pad didn't deflate! A little bouncing didn't effect it either ( ;) ). I'd recommend this bad boy to anyone! We really loved it and will definitely be purchasing other Wenzel products!

Awesome for a large campground

Gold Basin Campground is on the Mt Loop highway, in the Mount Baker- Snoqualmie National Forest.  It is stunning. I really love this area! This is a large campground with over 99 sites, due to flooding damages the sites are currently first come first served, but generally they are reservable. The sites are large but close together. There is a huge grass field with plenty of space to get a baseball or soft ball game going, maybe a soccer game. There are amazing showers and flush toilets! There are drinking water spigots, trash cans close to the sites. The river is gorgeous, so get a site along the river obviously! Wildlife viewing abound.

Gorgeous camping in the Mt Baker National Forest

The Clear Creek campground is off the Mountain loop Rd in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. Clear Creek is only ten minutes or so from Darrington WA. Only 13 campsites with tent pads, picnic tables, and fire rings. Vault toilets were also available. Firewood is not available on site, but local residents have firewood for sale at the roadside. The creek and the Sauk river are absolutely beautiful. There is so much wildlife in the area, keep an eye out, I think I saw a wolverine by the creek, couldn't get my camera ready in time,

Awesome campground in the beautiful Mount Baker National Forest

The Red Bridge campground is on the very scenic Mountain loop Rd in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. It's a very beautiful drive. Nestled in some great trees, there are 13 sites with shade, right along the river. The camp host was very nice and sold firewood on site. There are no hook ups, and no water spigots so be sure to plan accordingly. There are bear proof trash cans and vault toilets available. Each site has a tent pad, picnic table and fire ring. This campground provides ample hiking, fishing and I saw people kayaking plus its not far to a hike to some glacier caves! Also check out the old red trestle bridge just outside of the campground. At $15 a night you have to see this place.
I highly recommend Red Bridge campground.

Shaded campground on Mountain Loop Road

The Bedal Campground is off the mountain loop highway in the Mount Baker- Snoqualmie National Forest. Settled in some old Growth forest it provides a good amount of shade to most sites. There are around 20 sites and some are reservable, the sites run about $15 a night, All campsites include tent pads, picnic tables and fire rings. There are Bear proof trash cans, recycling, and spigots near by each site, The sign said there was a boat launch, but it was next to a trail that led to the river. I expect a canoe is the largest boat you would be able to launch. I have to mention the crazy amount of small waterfalls/cascades on the way in. this place is surrounded by some of the nicest forest I have seen.

Waaaay out there

It’s a ways from anywhere unless you happen to live in the middle of nowhere. It’s a great place for big groups. Get a few sites together and bring your bikes. Many sites are in full sun which is not awesome, but there are some really cool lakeside sites. It’s cool for tow behind tubing, a little morning fishing, daytime swimming in the swim area. If you need a day trip there’s plenty of hiking and the town of Winthrop is pretty cool even though it’s pretty touristy, once we took a day trip horseback riding, too. It’s awesome, totally relaxing and gorgeous. Be advised that it is like all high altitude areas really hot in the day and reallly cold at night. Bring shorts and sweats.

Best site in the area

I’ve loved Gold Basin since I was a kid. It’s a solid middle tier campground. Nothing fancy, but a lot of room. Bring the bikes, bring some sports equipment to play in the open field. Bring a swimsuit. The water is icy cold, but if you go downstream on the far side of the river there’s a clay patch that is there some years and not others depending on myriad factors. Try to get a spot on the river (not that it needed to be said) and you’re in for a sweet camp. Sit at the site supervise the kids through echolocation and it’s all good. I bet you could go fishing, but probably not a lot there for the most part. You could possibly even bring a small tube and find a little run into the slow water area.

Absolutely amazing

I wasn’t really sure what to expect from this campground. The maps made it look tight and the park didn’t make much sense to me but I was in for the biggest surprise of our trip. This campground is astounding. The spacing was great especially for a national park campground, the walk ins weren’t to far away but not to close either, the bathrooms were placed appropriately and the attractions are right at your site. There had to have been a dozen old growth giant trees in our site and the views to really help you relax. The bathrooms didn’t have a shower and you could tell the plumbing was old but it didn’t matter. The sites all have a normal fire ring and table. Our site was for tents only and it is recommended to check each site before you book a reservation. Reservations are a must here as well.

Great sites

Camped here for two days and have to say it was a great experience. I’m a solo hiker so I didn’t stay at my actual site for super long but it was nice coming back each night to a site that was good sized and beautifully lush. Also, having the river so close is a definite plus

Fairly nice and private group camp

My friends and I have camped at several of the group camps along the Mountain Loop. This one is a decent size, and has tent space in lots of private little nooks. It's not directly on the river, like some of the other group camps. It's a couple minutes down through the woods to get to the river, but it has a rocky beach suitable for lounging with your feet in the water. While this is not my top choice in the area, I would happily camp here again.

Chill campground outside of Lake Wenatchee

Camped here with a group of friends after making a blind reservation since there is no map or pictures of the campground available on recreation.gov. Our campsite ended up being right next to the road, which would not have been our first choice had we been able to see the map of the campground when booking. The road noise was a little bit annoying but it wasn't too big of an issue, especially at night since less people drive at that time. Many sites are spacious here, but some I noticed have a little less space and less privacy than others. The best sites are along the creek, although you can walk to the water easily from anywhere. The campground is made up of three loops that are not connected together, so if you were trying to buy 2 sites next to each other they could end up being in different loops. The bathrooms were nice and had flush toilets, though no soap was provided. Firewood is available from the camp host at site 31 for $7/bundle (cash only). They even drove around with firewood in their golf cart when they did their round of check-ins. Mosquitos were pretty abundant, so make sure to pack the insect repellent, and put it on immediately. I got bit within 30 seconds of getting out of the car when we arrived. Overall this campground was really relaxed and it didn't feel very crowded compared to Lake Wenatchee down the road.

Old growth.

The Trees here are Amazing! 21 campsites to choose from, with some availability to reserve. The sites are large, and there is a large old growth shelter available as well. It provides a lot of shade. Campsites include tent pads, picnic tables and fire rings. There are trash cans and recycling options. I was quite amused by the "boat launch" as there was not one. Would stay here. The scenery is amazing.

Beautiful, small Campground

This campground is on the very senic Mountain loop Rd in the Mount Baker -Snoqualmie National Forest. It's a beautiful drive. The campground is nestled in some great trees. Only 13 campsites with tent pads, picnic tables, and fire rings. Vault toilets, we'll maintained The town of Darrington is close by if you need something. The Sauk River is accessible from the campground and is honestly the highlight.

Ranger Review: IceMule Cooler at Colonial Creek Campground.

Campground Review: Colonial Creek Campground

Colonial Creek Campground, Diablo Lake Washington, is the prettiest place I've been to in Washington! Half the campground is reservation only, the other half is walk in. There is something like 176 total campsites, if I remember correctly. Each campsite is equipped with a large bear box, fire pit, picnic table and tent pad. The restrooms are large with flush toilets and sinks. There are no showers. Large bear proof trashcans, and water spigots are spread through each side of the campground. Thunder knob Trail starts on the south Campground and Thunder Creek trail is on the North campground. There is a fishing dock and a boat launch on the North campground. We stayed in site #15 which was great during the week. I felt this site offered zero privacy, the fire ring was positioned so you had to watch the road, the rest of the large site had a creek, but the trail went past our campsite, so a ton of people, familes, dogs, would all walk past our site. There is parking for the walk in sites right next to you, but those also take the trail. There is also nobody on the other side of you. So it gave a sense of privacy on a Wednesday, but not Friday-Sunday. At $16 a night, I felt it was great compared to other campsites. The beauty of this Campground and surrounding area is unparalleled. Would defiantly be back, but I would probably try for a more secluded site.

Ranger review: Icemule Cooler

As a ranger for the Dyrt, I sometimes get products in exchange for an honest review. Icemule coolers are perfection! This is the Large and it is huge! I was very surprised at the quality and size for the price. I love this cooler because it is super easy and comfortable to carry. No more big, heavy, bulky coolers to cart around. On this trip I used it as my main cooler. I froze 14 bottles of water to use as ice. I kept bacon, sausage, chicken, ground beef, hotdogs, butter, syrup and coffee creamer plus all the water bottles and soda in this bag. It was heavy, but held up to the challenge! It kept those bottles of water for 3 days before I had to buy ice. There is a compartment on the front for picnic supplies. I have also used this just as a dry bag. It's got great versatility and it even floats. I am 100% an Icemule cooler fan and recommend to anyone, whether a car camper or hiker, you will enjoy this cooler.

The lake was nice......

Well besides the fact that the camping is literally site on top of site. Unless you like camping looking down on your neighbors camp an arms reach away. ( insert eye roll ) and the one guy ranger who “didn’t have time to talk to us” simply about switching sites because we booked online. And was sandwiched in between two large family sites. Anyways we ended up being helped by a nice lady ranger who made time and even checked on us later to see if we were all good. After changing sites. The campground was pretty empty btw and wasn’t a big deal to switch. Spending the day on this lake was Amazing!!! Warm water they had paddle boards and kayaks to rent by phone so that was a plus. So three stars for the lake. Two for the nice ranger and one for camp site layout. Flushing toilets and pay showers available but Should be expected for $40 a night.

Lake access for all!

Love this camp ground! Quiet, clean, and almost every campsite has its own access to the lake. Some bigger than others but still a nice touch. Lots of little animals to watch. And hidden lake trail head is .5 miles from camp. Bathrooms were clean for the most part. But I was there during the week. Probably a different scene Friday and Saturday. So I’d suggest getting there early it’s first come first served.

Alpine campground near the highest passable road in Washington State

The road to Hart's pass is carved into the side of a mountain and NOT for the faint of heart. But once you're up there, the views are great. It was pretty smoky in August of 2018 from all the wildfires and the campground itself was burned through in the not too distant past (not sure when) but it is still a gorgeous spot. It is the kick off for the last leg of the PCT before Canada and the start of a nice backpack South to Rainy Pass.

There is little or no shade or privacy because of the lack of trees but the sites are fairly far apart.

Great place for star gazing!

Quiet, Wooded Campground

A simple yet well maintained campsite located about a mile off of Hwy 20. Large campsites with good separation from nearby sites. The site is close to many great trailheads.

Great campground

Nice grassy sites, great staff. Highly recommended!

Big private sites.

Campground caters to atv riders with trails and large sites with extra parking.

Disappointing

This place is terribly managed. A tree that was rotten fell in our campsite almost crushing a dog and crushed our chair. They offered 12.95 refund then Rhonda the manager refused to give it after I patiently waited for them to process the refund that never happened saying I waited too long.(2 1/2 weeks) She was rude and very unprofessional. I do not recommend staying here. Poorly maintained and The Artillery fire all through the night is just great to

Disappointing