Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, WASHINGTON
Most Recent Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest Camping Reviews
No-Fee (Almost Abandoned) Campground along a Lovely River

Although it's named after Big Meadow Creek, this campground primarily lies on the Chiawawa River. There's no fee and from the looks of things, no services. If you're okay with roughing it and you either have the campground to yourself or the neighbors are good, it's not bad. There's a single outhouse that I imagine gets pretty ripe when it's warm. I'm not sure I'd use it. (If you're pooping in the wild, remember you need to be at least 200' from water & dig an appropriate hole for your poop. Pack out your TP.)

There's a site right on the river that's tiny; it looks like the river bank has eaten away at the site. One of the trees in this site is marked with a mining claim. In other words, DO NOT PAN FOR GOLD HERE. There's a good-sized site next to it. Both sites have trees that'll support a hammock. There are two other sites. The one closest to Big Meadow Creek has the most privacy.

This campground isn't on the gazetteer I keep in my truck, but there's a sign for it along Meadow Creek Road. From there, take FS Rd 6300 & follow the signs. Coordinates, according to my USGS 7 1/2 map: 47.86813 N, 120.69305 W

NOTE: The US Forest Service web page says this campground is closed. However, there is no gate across the road nor any indication they consider people accessing the campground to be trespassing. If you're considering a stay, it's probably best to contact the Rangers Station first.

Great place to camp!

Has water electric and token showers. No dump spot!

Foothills of the Cascades

Campground provides plenty of sites so you are not on top of each other. Great activities and some of the best scenery to hike, picture taking or just relax. Campground is clean secure for all ages.

Can’t believe how close this is to a major city

You really do feel like you’re much further out of town. I travel a lot for work and I’ve started taking my travel trailer rather than staying in hotels. That’s how I found Tall Chief, but I’ve gone back since just because I enjoy it so much. Only drawback is not having dump hookups at each site, but that doesn’t effect me wanting to stay here in any way. This really is a gem!

Busy campground

This is a nice campground. Very busy city camping. Beach area is nice but packed 8n 5he summer.

Great winter camping

Great place to camp in April.

Excellent

This is a great campground. Deer stroll through camp. Clean bathrooms. Large beach for swimming. Great camping in the woods.

Nice for a quick trip

It’s a boat in site that doesn’t require permits, it’s one of the most easily accessible sites in the area. It can get pretty crowded sometimes. You can boat in, or hike the (approximately) 3 miles. Camp sites right on the lake, looking down valley. Trash cans and bear boxes available. Relaxing place to set up a hammock for the afternoon, or stay a few days.

Great spot in the valley of mountains. Lots of bears in this area but they keep to themselves.

You’ll never find another like it

These campsites are HARD to get to, but it’s worth it. Like, way more worth it than any other campground in the area. There’s a pit toilet, and the sites have rock walls built around them because this area is known to get heavy winds.

Busy but cozy

If you’re backpacking in the southern part of the North Cascades, you’ll probably wander right through this campground. Because of this, it can get a bit crowded in the middle of summer. But if you go earlier or later in the season, it’s lovely. Designated fire areas, near boxes, and you can camp right next to the creek. It’s only 3 miles from Stehekin so it’s nice for a quick overnight trip.

Beautiful area

We use the group camping. Spacious with lots of room to be “noisy” bring your bug spray

Water views in the forest

Clean, quiet campground with nice views! It felt far enough away from the big city, but still close enough to get to easily! Sounds of the waves lapping along the shore all night and birds chirping in the trees all day

Sites had large parking pad and very spacious

We had a ton of fun with the family here. Would definitely recommend going. Beautiful scenery

Spacious sites, great price, lots of activities

The prices for everything is amazing! The campsites are spacious and run along the creek! There are tent pads that make the ground not so hard under your tent. A table, grill and campfire ring at every site. The cabins are very nice! And are spacious as well. Have a porch swing, campfire ring, table and grill outside. Most cabins have an electric heater and a heat stove inside. The heat stove heats up the entire cabin very well!! They provide trash cans and bags and a broom to help keep the dirt cleaned up!

The bathrooms are very nice and clean. And they have firewood for sale on site. There is an attendant that will be there after work hours for people who are arriving late to get you checked in and answer questions you have. There are a couple of hiking trails, twin lakes, boats, canoes, and bikes to rent on site. There is also an enclosed dog park on site. There are tent sites, cabins, rv sites and even little apartments to rent for your stay. Great place and only 25 miles from town!

Local, open, friendly.

The proximity to the lake is very nice. The park is very well kept. This is a bit close to businesses, but still feels pretty sereen.

Love everything but the bugs!

I seriously love this campground. Beautiful views. Almost all of the spots are right on lake Wenatchee. Most of the spots are walk in so you have to carry your stuff a little ways but it is totally worth it. I take my kayak and I can launch it directly from my spot. Later in the summer though the mosquitoes are killer. I actually bailed on camping the last time I went because of them. Photos are from two different spots.

Amazing!

Came here for my wife and I’s Anniversary. We had never been to the North Cascades so we were excited to do some camping and hiking together (and our pup). The North Cascades definitely didn’t disappoint. It was amazing here and we will definitely be back. We hiked Blue Lake and Diablo Lake, which both were incredible. Diablo Lake is a beautiful blue color. Dogs are allowed on these two hikes, but make sure to check ahead of time because dogs aren’t allowed on some hikes in the area. It was super busy when we came, so thankfully we reserved our spot ahead of time. We got to the campground and our spot was reserved with a ticket which we thought was nice. The rangers were awesome, directed us to our site as well as tell us hikes in the area to do. Loved it, and will be back.

Loved the hiking

The hiking in this area was really amazing!!! The campground itself was okay- nothing too special. It was pretty busy when we came, so it seemed packed to us. It was also really loud at night, but we brought ear buds which helped tremendously. Campsites are small, but they have a small table and ring for a fire. When we went we were not able to do a fire because of the fires around the area. That was kind of a bummer but we obviously understand. The hiking was awesome!! Highly recommend getting some hikes in! We hit really good weather too, because it rained the weekend prior. Bathrooms are porta potty style and smelt really bad! Bring your own TP!

Very Clean!

We did a daily rental and it was great! Close to the lighthouse park. It is pet friendly and has great picnic spots.

A Gem near the city

A nice getaway close to the city. There is a gravel beach, playground and restrooms. Very clean!

Great for Kids

We visit this park frequently as it is great for the kids. It's clean and has bathrooms available!

Wide Variety

There are multiple campground areas within the recreation area ranging from RV camping to hike in areas within the National Forest. The tent camping areas offer a great amount of seclusion while making it easy to move around the recreation area. There are multiple rivers and large lakes for activities or to lull you to sleep as the snow melts fill the river beds. We got incredibly lucky finding this place and will be back. Would recommend waiting until June for camping as it can be quite cold.

Fall Retreat

Very well maintained county campground. One of the best in the NW

Fall Retreat

Very well maintained county campground. One of the best in the NW

Kayak to your camp!

Very different, primitive camping. Small island with only 2 sites that I could find. According to the website there were supposed to be more. 1 vault toilet available, picnic table and fire ring. Nice trail to walk with beautiful views. Very romantic setting! Rough paddle to this island!

Can get busy in peak season

This campground is right next to the visitors center. Overall it's a good campground, but has smaller sites with less privacy than others nearby. Also, this campground is pretty far from most hiking trails which can tack on to your travel time.

Ok

Right off the beaten path, very popular. Big sites but prefer it more secluded.

Favorite campground in the area

We loved this campground! In the off-season only a few walk-in sites are available for free. The main restrooms and water are locked up, only a vault toilet is available at this time. Site #64 is the best site, much farther away from the nearest campsite and larger. This campground was very quite during the weekends but got busy on the weekends. Next to a few popular overnight hikes, right on the lake, boat dock access. Beautiful spot!

Cozy campground

Smaller campground with 6 sites on a peninsula in the lake. Boat ramp at the campground, great if you are fishing. There are restrooms only, but these sites are free! Less privacy here since it is right off the road, but a little more sun than other campgrounds that have tree cover which is wonderful if it's raining or snowing!