the dyrt
Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, WASHINGTON
Most Recent Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest Camping Reviews
Amazing!

Came here for my wife and I’s Anniversary. We had never been to the North Cascades so we were excited to do some camping and hiking together (and our pup). The North Cascades definitely didn’t disappoint. It was amazing here and we will definitely be back. We hiked Blue Lake and Diablo Lake, which both were incredible. Diablo Lake is a beautiful blue color. Dogs are allowed on these two hikes, but make sure to check ahead of time because dogs aren’t allowed on some hikes in the area. It was super busy when we came, so thankfully we reserved our spot ahead of time. We got to the campground and our spot was reserved with a ticket which we thought was nice. The rangers were awesome, directed us to our site as well as tell us hikes in the area to do. Loved it, and will be back.

Loved the hiking

The hiking in this area was really amazing!!! The campground itself was okay- nothing too special. It was pretty busy when we came, so it seemed packed to us. It was also really loud at night, but we brought ear buds which helped tremendously. Campsites are small, but they have a small table and ring for a fire. When we went we were not able to do a fire because of the fires around the area. That was kind of a bummer but we obviously understand. The hiking was awesome!! Highly recommend getting some hikes in! We hit really good weather too, because it rained the weekend prior. Bathrooms are porta potty style and smelt really bad! Bring your own TP!

Very Clean!

We did a daily rental and it was great! Close to the lighthouse park. It is pet friendly and has great picnic spots.

A Gem near the city

A nice getaway close to the city. There is a gravel beach, playground and restrooms. Very clean!

Great for Kids

We visit this park frequently as it is great for the kids. It's clean and has bathrooms available!

Wide Variety

There are multiple campground areas within the recreation area ranging from RV camping to hike in areas within the National Forest. The tent camping areas offer a great amount of seclusion while making it easy to move around the recreation area. There are multiple rivers and large lakes for activities or to lull you to sleep as the snow melts fill the river beds. We got incredibly lucky finding this place and will be back. Would recommend waiting until June for camping as it can be quite cold.

Mt. Rainier hikes!

Here are some things I loved about this campground:

1. It’s proximity to Mt. Rainier National Park. This was hands down my favorite part. I did a sunrise hike as well as a sunset hike because the drive was only about 45mins. It was crowded, but great!!

2. Easy to find. It was right off the road down a dirt, well maintained road.

3. Great weather in the summer! The weather was hot when I came in August.

i think because it’s close to Rainier, it was busy! We didn’t mind though because we were gone most of the day. The campground was decently big, and a few bathrooms. We stayed a few nights, and would definitely come back.

Fall Retreat

Very well maintained county campground. One of the best in the NW

Fall Retreat

Very well maintained county campground. One of the best in the NW

Kayak to your camp!

Very different, primitive camping. Small island with only 2 sites that I could find. According to the website there were supposed to be more. 1 vault toilet available, picnic table and fire ring. Nice trail to walk with beautiful views. Very romantic setting! Rough paddle to this island!

Can get busy in peak season

This campground is right next to the visitors center. Overall it's a good campground, but has smaller sites with less privacy than others nearby. Also, this campground is pretty far from most hiking trails which can tack on to your travel time.

Ok

Right off the beaten path, very popular. Big sites but prefer it more secluded.

Favorite campground in the area

We loved this campground! In the off-season only a few walk-in sites are available for free. The main restrooms and water are locked up, only a vault toilet is available at this time. Site #64 is the best site, much farther away from the nearest campsite and larger. This campground was very quite during the weekends but got busy on the weekends. Next to a few popular overnight hikes, right on the lake, boat dock access. Beautiful spot!

Cozy campground

Smaller campground with 6 sites on a peninsula in the lake. Boat ramp at the campground, great if you are fishing. There are restrooms only, but these sites are free! Less privacy here since it is right off the road, but a little more sun than other campgrounds that have tree cover which is wonderful if it's raining or snowing!

Hiking!

This place is great for hiking, but wasn’t my favorite place to camp. We brought my parents RV but the park just seemed a bit run down. We really only picked this place because we wanted to hike near Rainier, and found that this place was close and cheap. We stayed here only 2 nights. The campground was pretty small also which was kind of a bummer because it was busy because of the summer. The mosquitos were out in full force, and I felt like bug spray was not working. It was close to a river that didn’t seem to move fast so we assumed that’s why there was so many mosquitos. We loved that it was close to hiking! My fave part about Washington. The campground isn’t close to any gas stations or restaurants so definitely bring food! I loved the night time because the sky just lit up with stars. I could stare at the sky for hours. The weather was perfect too

island camping

this is an awesome little island! 1 vault toilet, picnic table and fire rings. there were raccoons on the island with us but other than that we had the place to ourselves. we kayaked to the island, the waters were pretty rough so I would recommend for anyone planning to stay here to look into the waters, tide and wind report the day of. Or if you have the option of using a motorized boat! Beautiful views with a trail that circles the island. There were some sea lions swimming around in the area but never actually approached the land. Awesome time!

Wow!!

Talk about an incredible place to visit. Washington is the definition of amazing hiking. The mountains are gorgeous, and the hiking views are hard to beat. The "North Cascades" is a little piece of heaven. The drive in it of itself was like no other drive we have ever done. I was in awe the entire time. The hiking here is beyond amazing. We did Blue Lake and I wanted to do it again the next day because of how amazing it was. Diablo Lake was incredible as well. The water was crystal ice blue. The pictures dont do it justice. The campgrounds on North Cascades were BOOKED! thankfully we reserved our spots ahead of time, reading other reviews that said to do this. There were no campsites available the weekend we went, it was crazy. We had to hike super early to beat the crowds, for sure. I definitely want to come back and do Hidden Lake Lookout, but we had our dog and someone said that wasnt the best hike to do with a young puppy. Maybe when our dog is older! The weather was perfect when we went as well. Clear blue skies!

Beautiful!

What an incredible campground with some of the most beautiful hiking. The Cascades are definitely a favorite of mine and hold a special place in my heart. There are some Washington favorite hikes along this area, you definitely don’t want to miss out. Make sure to do your research ahead of time because dogs can’t do all the hikes in this area. We picked all the hikes our dog Finn could go on with us, and enjoyed every second of our time here. Dogs are also allowed in the campground but must be kept on a leash. The campground was clean and quite although us was very busy. We reserved our spot ahead of time and I’m glad we did because it was full when we got there. We already have a plan to come back next summer!

easy camping by the beach

Great spot for living by the water for a few days. Plenty to do as long as you're into beach-combing, hiking, crabbing, fishing, kayaking, or just watching the water. There's a sweet spot late summer when you can add berry-picking to the activities list. It gets quite busy, but not as overrun as other parks in the islands. This place is ideal for tent camping and hiking around the green trails with pretty awesome views of the sound. If you'd rather go RV/cabin experience, you might be better off down the road at Cama (?) I think.

Loved my stay!

Really enjoyed my stay here, although I only stayed 1 night. My goal was stay somewhere close to some hikes I wanted to do so I didn’t have to get up early from home. I wanted my time on the mountain. However, the weather was pretty crappy. It was super foggy and rained toward the end of the hike. The campground was good for the night, although the spots were a little small and it was a little difficult to pitch my tent. The ground was a little rocky which made it hard to stick the poles in the ground. I made it work, thankfully I had a small hammer and put some rocks over the pole to stabilize. Only 1 bathroom on site, and I didn’t see any RVs when I was there, but I’m assuming they have spots for that? I didn’t reserve my spot, but felt there were plenty of spots left. Was quite, and easy to find off the road.

Great place, fun hiking!

My family and I took a 3 week long trip to Washington and continued toward Whistler afterward. We did a ton of explore, camping and hiking. We stayed at this campground because there were a few hikes we wanted to do nearby. I believe they call it the i90 corridor? That’s what we read on the Washington hiking page. Which by the way, the WTA website was super helpful. Wish we had something similar back where I live. All Trails was helpful too. This campground was great, and fit our RV perfectly. We enjoyed our stay here. It was quite and clean. Our RV has a bathroom in it which is nice- there was only - bathroom in the campground, and it was pretty far from us so I’m glad we had one in our RV. The only downside was the rain. It rained 50% of the time we were in washington, and some of our hikes were FOGGY! Still fun and we enjoyed ourselves!

A place to lay your head

We stayed her because we needed to be in Spokane for a few days! This is not camping! This is a place to park and rest! The pictures on the website are dated. The spots are very close together, no privacy at all. The dog area is not central…it’s basically out by the road! It seemed that the majority off the spots were people who live at the RV Park. The staff was nice!

Clean campground on the banks of a beautiful river

High in the icicle river valley, this is the last campground along the road. Great place for a quiet camping trip. Good fishing, hiking and overall exploring

Great spot, great hiking!

My husband and I had a goal to hike 5 different places in 3 days because we had a long weekend and why not spend that time outside!? We decided to stay here because it was close to a lot of great hikes. The weather was perfect which made camping that much more enjoyable. This campground was clean, big spaces, and close to a lot of great hikes on i90. It wasn’t too busy when we went, even though it was the beginning of summer. We liked that the spaces were larger and separated by bushes and trees. We appreciated this. The weather was only rainy 1 day, the last day we were here. The hikes were really great. We ended up doing Granite Mountain, Mount Si, Kendall Katwalk, Snow Lake, and Snow Lake to Gem Lake. All were amazing and beautiful. The road to the campground was good, but beware of some of the roads to the hiking spots. Lots of potholes. Bring your own water because they didn’t have a hookup for water there. Thankfully we knew this ahead of time and packed tons of water for our hikes.

romantic camping on the beach

Right on lake wenatachee, 18 a night. 4 vault toilets and plenty of sites, picnic tables, water access and fire rings. we had the entire camp ground to ourselves very romantic, slept right on the beach. Kayaking was good here.

Blink and you'll miss this spot

Small turn around kind of spot, 6 sites with tent pads and picnic tables. 1 vault toilet. Boat launch accessible to access gorge lake. Which I will say was more like a river due to the dam near by. Even though this site is right off the highway the noise isn’t too bad since you’re right on the water. The sites are pretty close together so I wouldn’t say theres much privacy at this camp ground but its free and I will be back. Right by diablo lake!

camp at diablo lake

This was our first stop of a 7 day road trip! We arrived in the dark and only stayed for the night. Surprisingly there were plenty of open spots! Our site was small, equipped with a bear locker, fire ring and picnic table. The camp ground had flush toilets, the bathrooms were very clean. They also had a garbage and recycling service, and even potable water available. We explored the camp ground during the day. This camp is right at Diablo lake! There were even camp sites right on the water! Fully accessible fishing pier and boat launch. Kayaking was rough as the winds were strong while we were here. Hiking and more available to those that stay. Fishers had a place to clean their catch! We paid 16 dollars for 1 night. Typically camp at dispersed sites but I would certainly stay here again.

Close in escape

The campground is up top and the day use area (beach and boat ramp and pier) is down below. During a previous trip in April we saw a whale feeding in the bay. We take our boat and crab. Its close to town but surprisingly few people are aware of the campground. There's yurts, but we stay in our trailer.

Hewhalem, WA - A great combination of Hiking and Kayaking - Shore of Skagit

I am a full time employeed engineer. I believe my 30 years of materials and process engineering combined with OEM manufacturing experience of aerospace and automotive platforms combined with my love of camping makes me ideally suited to be a Dyrt Ranger. In my career I do alot of failure analysis and know what goes into a product that delights the customer. Especially, critical gear like a camp stove that needs to light when you want it to, or not become a flaming disaster due to a fuel leak, or a tent that keeps solid during the most violent of wind storms. I have not written a formal campground review but have done a significant amount of camping with my daughter and son throughout the years. My last trip was with my son of 25 years last summer in Northern Cascades National Park. We stayed at Newhalem campground. I live in Wisconsin and he lives in Tacoma, so my usual method is to fill two large army duffles with the camping gear and check it on the plane. I have done it this way for 25 years. I get everything I need in those two bags and they still work. We throw the bags in the truck, stop by the grocery store for provisions, and pitch camp. The problem with Newhalem was that I specifically selected a walk in site to get away from as much noise as possible. Unbeknownst to me there were two other single walk in sites on either side of ours. So the reward for hauling our gear and water into the site was one of our neighbors didn't understand what a single site was nor why people go through the trouble of using them. They turned it into a group site, which unfortunately was highly distracting from the crackling of our campfire. This is so unfortuate, because this is why I like to camp and backpack, to get away from the work pressures and enjoy nature, the fire, the conversation, the quite. Others enjoy the party opportunity and have little regard for anyone who is next to them. Other than that I found the campground very clean, easy to get around and centrally located to the hikes we wanted to complete. Namely, Hidden Lake, Sourdough Mnt.and I believe Blue Lake Trail, but I think I am wrong on the latter. In my 25 years of camping with my kids and my wife, the Northern Cascades are brutal. I have climbed Long's Peak, Sky Pond, Loch Lake, Flat Top Mnt, Hallett Peak, etc. Angles Landing, Observation Point (I one day - just through I would mention it), Hidden Canyon, the Narrows, etc.in Zion National Park, Mt. Washburn in Yellowstone, Yosemite Falls Hike, etc. Been caught in a wind storm in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park that bent the poles of my Eureka Timberline 4 man tent. Withstood a tornado in Minacqu, WI where I witnessed a electrical transformer explode from a lightning strike. And had the incredible experience of watching a storm come into Badlands National Park and by evening take over our site with a perpetual lightning storm. But what is different with all of these an many others that doesn't exist in the Northern Cascades is you can actually see your final destination. The destination in the Norther Cascades is typically hidden by trees, and when you think you are making great progress on the incessant switchbacks that climb 1 verticle foot for each step you take, a passing hiker will say, when asked; "oh you are maybe 1/4 of the way there", your heart and mind drop and in the dense forest, coping with the heat you ask where is the end. The Northern Cascades are brutal in the mental and physical games they play with a hiker. But ultimately it was an awesome experience with my son, I flew back to Wisconsin with a lot of great memories. Not a campground review, but the ramblings of an outdoor enthusiast, that loves looking up from the fire to see the stars, and the best mornings are those dry in the sleeping bag listening to rain fall on the tent fly. I have been blessed and love what you guys are doing. Thank you. Sincerely, Rob Hathaway, Oshkosh, WI

Fantastic location

This was a great site for a big party there were 22 of us - 8 kids. We were right in the center but felt like we had our own area. The kids were able to ride their bikes around and there was a huge grassy area just down the path they loved to go play at. We took the ferry over to Friday Harbor for lunch for a day trip. The kids also loved going down to the beach.

Water and facilities were easily accessed. Clean campgrounds. It was a great spot.

It was super easy to get to and I didn't feel like a wasted a day getting there or home.