Gifford Pinchot National Forest, WASHINGTON
Camping Washington Gifford Pinchot National Forest
Most Recent Gifford Pinchot National Forest Camping Reviews
Nice secluded campground

I found this campground when I ventured onto a dirt road off the 12, it was just me so it was perfect. Summit creek was flowing good, perfect to dip your feet in, you had to walk down a bit to get to it though. There were a few campsites with tables and fire rings that were nicely spaced out, the outhouse was nice and surprisingly there was still toilet paper 💪🏼 There’s a sign on the outside about it being decommissioned so I just had some lunch, hung out a bit and did some exploring before getting back on the road.

Great experience! Wish I could have stayed longer!

Stayed one night in a cabin and 2 nights in the D loop. The cabin was clean and comfortable. The campsite was spacious enough to set up a canopy and 2 tents comfortably. Bathrooms were clean and conveniently located. Swimming was great!

"PRIMITIVE" site in Gifford Pinchot NF

This site is amazing people have already set things up for tent camping. There is space for RV but I recommend your really good with it. Has a fire pit with rocks. Plenty of firewood in woods. If you look hard enough you can find a PRIMITIVE toilet (plywood stand with toilet seat). The area has enough space for group campers. We did also see elk in area coming from south on NF 9038 from Cougar there were other sites we picked this one. Have fun please keep it clean and leave it the way you left it or better for others!

Really nice campground

I read about this campground on a Facebook post and everyone that had stayed here loved it. We decided to give it a try. We were easily able to make short notice reservations. Even added an additional day after we had been here a couple days without a problem. As another review said, I think it's because the lake level is too low to swim or launch a boat here.

We stayed in an RV. While some sites are better than others, there really aren't any bad sites here. We had full hookups. I think about half the park does. All the sites are nicely spaced apart and we didn't feel cramped at all. There are many large sites.

The campground is very clean and well maintained and all the roads are easy to navigate.

There are a lot of cool places to see that aren't to far from here, so it makes a good place to stay to go exploring.

We will definitely stay here again.

Awesome

We stayed here and loved it the camp sites are awesome. Some have woods between for a little privacy or there is sites in the open. We will be going back.

Great camping , Creek and Swimming hole!

Only 7 spots. First come first serve. Clean and the ones w access to creek are great! I really like this spot.

Lovely and welcoming

We headed up hoping to score a campsite at dougan creek on an early sunday afternoon. We got lucky and scooped a very secluded camp spot close to the bathrooms. The firepit was scooped free of ashes and well kept. The site was pretty much completely debris free. The hosts, Ed and Wanda, were so incredibly warm and welcoming, that we highly recommend stopping by and chatting with them for a while. Dogs! They are welcomed with open and loving arms. Our lab had the best time roaming her site and playing in the water. Oh, there is a great swimming hole, easily within walking distance from any of the sights, so easy that we took a nice night stroll down to the water. We are excited for our next visit to this amazing spot.

Secluded legit camping

Way up in Gifford Pinchot forest there’s a backside entrance to twin falls that hasn’t been kept up by the state since the bridge washed out. You’ll have to find it via forest road maps. LOTS of hiking and fall scouting to be had here. Remote access may be limited to road closures or washout. It is possible to get a trailer down there but would likely require some scouting of the road first or have overland setup. Spots or right on the Lewis river.

Up in the mountains on a lake!

Nice lake to swim in or boat. Fishing off docks lots of hiking and biking. Great park. Awesome group sites but haven’t used them yet

Easy walk to nice waterfall

I've been here several times, most recently in December 2018. It's nice that it's still accessible when other roads are starting to close for the winter. The falls still had some flow. Picnic tables and fire rings are provided. There's also potable water and vault toilets. I think they take reservations during the open season, around April-October, and the cost is $24/night

A little off main path close to Ranier

With Summit Creek closed now, I'm sure this place is going to be a lot more crowded in peak seasons. We made it here in May 2018, and it wasn't crowded at all. There was still a little snow around. The campground is basic with around 10 spots. Each is a little spot with a picnic table and little fire ring. There's no running water, but there is a little vault toilet.

Bumpy road in, No RV's, Walk in sites only. Nice river access.

I was at Twin Falls Campground for the day (fishing) in July 2019, and stayed here back in June 2018. It's another of the smaller campgrounds with only 5 walk in sites. I usually stay in smaller places or go dispersed style when possible.

It's a bumpy windy road down to the campground. I just drove through here (Aug 7th, 2019) and I wouldn't take a car down to the campground without high clearance.  Didn't need 4WD to get around but the ruts are deep in certain spots. Please don't try to drag a trailer down.

The sites are FREE, which is alway nice, and 1st come 1st serve. The sites are limited in number, but each site is pretty large. The river access is great. The sound is a little loud when sleeping, if you're here when the river is really flowing.

Decent fly fishing in the bend of the Lewis River.

The falls itself is pretty. While not exactly twins, there are 2 waterfalls.

There is a clean vault toilet, but no running water.

Kinda awkward that when parking for day use of the river, you still have to walk through a couple sites to get to the water.

Best site to get away from crowds. Great trout fishing.

Council Lake, WA is one of my favorite organized campgrounds to stay in. It's a bit of a bumpy road in, most cars should be fine, but no rv's or long trailers. There's only 7 sites with 1 being the premium, on top of the hill, with a bit of a lake view. Again it's kinda hilly driving in to the sites, a Toyota Corolla made it through while I was there, but he bottomed out a few times. The flies and mosquitos are kinda bad by the water, but at least bearable in the sites.

The sites are FREE and 1st come 1st serve. The sites are large and have metal fire rings with flip grills.

The trout fishing is good here. Boats are allowed, but electric or hand operated only.

It's a beautiful clear water lake. I saw a river otter basking in the shallows, and several eagles diving for fish while I was here, in July 2019.

Great view of Mt.Adams, quiet with only 5 spaces, lots of flies in summer

I've been to Ollalie Lake Campground several times in the last few years. Most recently in Aug 2019. I like that it's quiet and small, with only 5 spots, and limited day use parking. The cost is $12 a space $6 for additional car, and I think it's 1st come, 1st served, but it seems like the forest service is offering reservations via their website lately. I didn't reserve ahead of time, even mid summer I had a choice of a couple spots. There's a clean vault toilet, but no running water, so be sure to bring enough.

There's trout in the lake for fishing, but I had no luck this time. Boats are allowed, but only hand powered or electric. The lake itself is kinda small, but offers great views of Mt Adams reflecting off the water in the evening.

The campground was clean, but flies and mosquitos can be overwhelming at times.

Fresh squeezed tip:

There's a couple free sites just south of the campground entrance that still offer lake access.

Delightful

This place is exceptional. Disclaimer: We dispersed camp next to this campground. We spent a lot of time in the actual campground though. It has a clean vault toilet for both men and women. There are only a few sites and they are rather close together with little privacy, hence my dispersed camping near by. There is a trailhead (I didn’t investigate it). And there are several little trails down to a most delightful river. The one little spring the campground is named for is really pretty but tiny! The worst part of the area is the man eating flies. They were so think and miserable. Multiple would be biting you at the same time!

Cute, cozy and a little noisy

Spent two nights here with my kids. It was well maintained, clean restrooms and was right near a creek. It was about .5 miles away from the Columbia but it wasn’t really safe to travel by foot since it crossed the freeway. It’s right by I-84 and the railroad track so there was constant noise. Bring ear plugs and be prepared for the sound of cars, trucks and trains at all hours. It’s about 5 miles south of Hood River, so it was easy to hop in the car and have some fun there as well. Despite the noise, we had a great time. My kids enjoyed themselves, made friends and even had a visit from a friend beaver passing out stickers and junior ranger pins

Nice campsite

Nice campsite, but didn’t spend too much time there as we were hiking and visiting Mt Rainier and Sunshine Peak. It was very quiet and near a stream which was very peaceful at night

Best camp site in Oregon!!

Lost Lake is so magical! The crystal clear waters and perfect views of Mt Hood made this an incredible spot to camp. Camp site is very clean and well kept and it was really nice to have a store on site as well! It’s also really close to Multnomah Falls and Oneta Gorge which is a must do hike through water if you have the time

My favorite Park!

This is absolutely my favorite campground at Mt. Rainier. The spacing is great, the bathrooms are adequate (no showers) and the forest is absolutely amazing. This entire campground is wooded so no need to worry about shade but it will probably rain. This is a rather large campground but you should still get reservations. The only complaint I have is the fire ring is odd.

Pretty

Gorgeous park, gorgeous lake. Great for water activities.

Dispersed camping

We stayed here 2 nights and will definitely be coming back. Tons of open sites to choose from right along the river. Designated fire rings but currently there's a burn ban. No vault toilets or picnic tables. Pack it in, pack it out! When we first arrived we spent about 20 minutes cleaning the site we chose after the people whom were here before us. Not such a big deal just a little saddening. #1 rule is to leave no trace. Extremely grateful we get to explore and camp on land that is free. We should all do our part and take care of it.

A little surprising that we had cell phone reception with sprint!

Near this area there are a lot or activities. Biking, hiking, swimming, fishing, kayaking.. to name a few!

Loud

This campground sits right off of hwy 12. The sites were a little over grown when we were there. The pit toilets were clean.

Best at Mt Rainier

This campground is by far my favorite in the Mt Rainier region. The spots are level and spaced out nicely. Each site has a fire pit and picnic table. This campground is a great place to base camp for the park. The rangers were friendly. Great campground.

Pretty tight

This is a small campground on the south side of dog lake. The sites are tightly packed but level. A large Rv would have a hard time turning around. There is a pit toilet but no running water. The lake is the highlight at this campground for fishing and a small boat ramp.

Nice forest service camp

This campground is right on the river. The sites were level and plenty of room to spread out. There are pit toilets and a were clean with plenty of tp. It is recommended to reserve on busy holiday weekends.

Beautiful camp to test the waters to see if camping is for you

This camp has RV sites, tent sites and beautiful cabins with porch swings and is located close to the Columbia River waterfalls.

Little luxuries include a camp store where we picked up bacon and eggs, an outdoor pool with hot tub, bathrooms with showers, “wood” ceramic floors and halo lighted mirrors plus facilities with washer/dryers and an outdoor sink to wash dishes.

Some people might find the train coming through right behind the camp several times a day and night a little annoying but we didn’t mind. We realized that the train blew 2 long, 1 short and 1 long whistle right before it reached the camp which is a warning (we googled it) that a train is coming through with engine in front and for cars/people to clear the track….the things you learn when you camp🚂

Quiet and Well Maintained

Away from the railroad tracks. Great sites for tent camping. RV spots are a little close. Clean bathhouse. Don’t be scared away because there are no pull through spots. The management can coach you into the site. They were great.

Beautiful old growth forest setting

Very nicely maintained campground. Get your reservations in the winter before your trip. Spots fill up fast. Bathrooms are clean. Tent sites are nice and provide plenty of room. Tent sites aren’t to close to each other but typical for national parks. Highly recommend this camp ground.

Big things come in small packages

This campground wasn’t on our radar for this last weekend camping trip. We stumbled across it looking for a spot to camp. Only about 10 camp sites but in very good condition. Very private and great tree cover. We had an awesome weekend

Best back to nature camping!

Absolutely everything you want, if camping is your thing and not glamping! Has a beautiful lake (Council Lake) full of fish - fresh fish dinner! Also has crawfish everywhere! These are pretty primitive sites, but that's part of the charm! Does have an outhouse type toilet but BYOTP, because you never know ow if or when it's been supplied. Motor boats not allowed! Unless you are camping the same time a youth group is, it is quiet and you can see millions of stars at night! Yellow jackets can be aggressive, so be alert, otherwise, an awesome way to recharge from the concrete jungle.