Colville National Forest, WASHINGTON
Exceeded Expectations!!!!

Ranger Review: Aftershokz Trekz Air at Douglas Falls Grange Park

Campground Review:

Wow! Wow! Wow!

First off, a bit about the campground itself. It is owned by the local grange, right next to the Colville National Forest. It is free with a Discover pass. The discover pass is $10 for a day or $30 for a year and needed for a lot of parks in Washington. It is also located just outside of Colville, where you can get anything you need. There is about 8-15 sites. Why don’t I know? Well the campground loop intercepts the day use area, and what is a site, compared to the day use area, we can’t tell. On the main campground loop there is 8 sites. In the day use area, site #9 appears to be the only marked ADA accessible site, though many of the others seem just as accessible. Site #10 and #11 are a slight downhill walk from the parking area. Site 10 does not have a clear parking spot, where all of the other sites do. Site #12 is basically in the parking lot. When we arrived we drove the main loop and there were a few other campers, then we came to the day use area and site #12 had a tent pitched there.  There is a short car road that is a one way access with additional sites #13 #14 and #15, this road was closed, but may open in the future. There were black table cloths on the tables, indicating not to use. All sites have a fire ring, and picnic table. Some have a cute log bench right next to the fire.

There is no garbage service at this campground. Pack it in, pack it out, please, leave no trace. There are vault toilets supplied with plenty of toilet paper, they were very clean and have an air freshener that almost makes you forget you are in a vault toilet! There is a huge field with a backstop for baseball/softball, a covered picnic area, Horseshoes, hiking trails (with the main one being a 1.5 mile nature loop) and the highlight was a gorgeous 60 foot waterfall that you can see from the parking lot or take short walk to. There is also a pretty cool suspension bridge!

I had low expectations of this place, but I was very surprised! We took site #10 which is about 20 feet away from the upper portion of the falls. This site is a short walk from the parking lot, so you do have to walk your gear in.  The only other site in this area is #11 and it is a good distance away. From our site there is a small trail that leads to the main trail which goes to the top of the falls. If you take the main trail from the look out to the right there is access to the bottom of the falls. I listened to the waterfall all night and it was so peaceful and soothing I slept peacefully. The moon light over the falls was amazing, I wish I had my good camera! Did I mention the wildlife? Hawks, deer, super squirrels, Eagles, Chipmunks, Robins, Magpie and more!

Over all, I hated it, you shouldn’t go there so I can have it ALL to myself! But really, this is a fantastic place to camp. It’s a beautiful piece of land, with so much to see and do. Go, have fun, and thank me later!

Product Review:

Aftershokz Trekz Air- Bone Conduction Headphones.

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, sometimes I have the opportunity to review new products in exchange for an honest review. At this campground I tested Aftershokz Trekz Air- Bone Conduction Headphones. https://aftershokz.com/collections/all/products/trekz-air

These headphones are a wave of the future. Instead of sitting in your ear like most headphones, they sit on your jawbone. They are Bluetooth, so that means wireless! They are super easy to pair and connect with your phone. As with all technology, it is really best to charge them straight out of the box. The colored light on the side of the headphone is red if it is not charged or blue if it’s fully charged. The pads that sit on your jawbone sends vibrations through the bone to your year. They come in sleek colors, and they are so lightweight and comfortable you can forget they are there. The point of these headphones is to be able to hear the outside world around you and still listen to your tunes. This keeps you attentive to other people in the office or, in my case, able to hear your music over roaring waterfalls on the trail.

I had never heard of bone conduction technology before these headphones, and I certainly will remember now. These are funky and fresh. I love them, I love that they stay on my head while on the go, no cords to untangle and get in the way, or earbuds to pop out of my ear while walking. If you are not moving, the vibrations can be a little intense at higher volumes or songs with more bass, it makes it feel a little strange. They have a six hour battery life, and only takes about an hour and a half to charge. I also wish that there was a voice control in these as well so I could continue being hands free and answer the phone, skip songs or pause, at the same time. I hear that it’s in the works though, so I’m willing to wait. Plus, the button controls are easy to use, so it’s not a deal breaker. They come with a great carrying bag, ear plugs (if you don’t want to hear the world around you, you can use the earplugs to intensify to the volume of the Trekz Air.) and a charging cord. They also have a great warranty, return and exchange policy. There also arrived super quickly, I have been able to use them for a few weeks before the review, giving me the opportunity to get used to them and form an opinion.

These are by far the best headphones I have ever had and I don’t think I can go back to earbuds. I would definitely recommend these to anyone!

Nice clean campsites

Big campsites that are moderately secluded from each other. Easy hike around the lake to the cedar grove. Clean bathrooms. Worth the camping fee. Off grid/dispersed camping available as well.

Idyllic campground overlooking a waterfall, FREE if you have a Discoverpass

One of my new favorite campgrounds I found while researching for the Dyrt was Douglas Falls Grange Park. I must admit I was sceptical on my way up there as there isn't much on the net about it and it is less than 5 miles from Colville, a decent size town. I was more than pleasantly surprised to find a well kept oasis that gives the feeling of being far from civilization. I saw no sign of noise/light pollution from the town 5 min. away, on the other side of the mountain.

Probably the most notable feature of this campground is its namesake, Douglas Falls. There are views of it from the parking lot as well as trails to the top and base with access to other trails. Another nice thing about this place is the extensive day use facilities. There is a groomed field with backstop, next to a covered group of tables and bathrooms.

I saw around 15 sites total with 2 clearly marked for day use and one was ADA. They mostly offered good spacing and sometimes even seclusion. My favorite sites were 10 and 11 as they were closest to the waterfall, tho many of the others seemed great also. There were bathrooms and potable water centrally located in both sections of the park. Since it is a state run park, camping is free for up to 7 days if you have a Discover pass, which is $10 a day, $30 for the year, or free from a wa public library! Keep in mind all sites are first come first served with no reserving, so show up early.

If you find you need a change of pace while camping here there is the aforementioned town of Colville just 5 minutes away with a walmart, several grocery stores, and even a drive-in theatre! It also has many other little shops and eateries. About 15 minutes on the other side of Colville is the Columbia river which provides lots of opportunities for hiking, swimming, boating, and fishing plus more activities.

Overall this campground is great and I hope you are able to get the same wonderful experience I did from it.

Cute, not super private, but there is only 13 sites.

The spaces were quite large and not very shaded. The lake is nice, but you can't see it from any of the campsites. Lake Ellen West is by far better. If you go down the road a little, there is a beautiful view of the lake. Vault toilets, picnic tables and fire rings are available. There are also dumpsters.

Such a pretty place!

I was here on the first day of the season and saw nobody! The grounds are beautiful. Really small campground, the sites are big with tables and fire rings. There are vault toilets too. The fishing pier is cute. Along the road on the way in to the campground, the side of the road appears to be a beach area. Where people have fire pits. It's very narrow so be careful!

The lake was very nice.

This lake is way up in the Colville National forest! The campsites were closed for the season, but it's about $6 for a overnight stay. The lake was pretty clear, and had nice reeds and a sandy beach. The campsites all he tables and fire rings. There is only 1 vault toilet.

Super small. Doesn't get much use

Seems much like a lot of the campgrounds in the Colville National Forest. Really quiet, there was nobody there but us! Vault toilets, picnic tables and fire rings at every site! The wildlife viewing is always nice. Bring binoculars! $9 in the off season and $18 in the regular season. So worth it depending on how many people are there in the summer.

Beautiful!

This campground was secluded and empty! It was an absolutely wonderful place to look at the stars and feel alone in the universe! Only $9 in the off season, $18 in the summer. Vault toilets, that are serviced well. I saw a ton of deer! There is also a Fishing pier and boat launch!

Words can't describe!

How incredibly beautiful and private. There are great camp sites in the upper loop, and then there is an area to hike all your stuff in. Only about a block. It's $9 in off season and $18 in the summer season. Vault toilets seem to be serviced regularly! Boat dock and fishing dock were both fun

Best childhood memories

Beautiful. Fishing canoeing hiking. It has it all.

Another great campground on Lake Roosevelt

All of the Lake Roosevelt campgrounds have such great history and scenery. The Columbia River lake area has so much history of Kettle falls. In the spring the levels of the lake are low and you can take several walking tours of the ruins. This is a quiet campground with not a ton of lake views in the spring. The water level is too low. I'm sure it's great in the summer. In the off season it is only $9 a night and the campgrounds are empty. I'm sure they are busy in the summer season when it goes up to $18 a night. The bathrooms have been clean each time I go.

Very quiet in the off season.

We had a campground all to ourselves in early April. It is full of birds and waterfowl. Rocky cliff side down to the lake. In April the water levels are low for flood control. Beautiful sunsets, the site's are large and the road is good.

There are large sites for trucks, trailers. Tent camping is nice in the upper loop, but nothe a lot of shade in the lower loop. $9 in off season and $18 in peak.

Bathrooms were clean and had toilet paper. The walking tour at this campground is also nice. Full of history.

Clean and quiet in off season.

I have visited this campground last summer, it was pretty full, but they have access to a great little marina area. I camped there 2 weeks ago and it was very clean and quiet. Only a few other campers. We had a great view of the lake. In the off season there was no accessible water, there are bathrooms for sumner, but vaults in off season. Only $9 a night in off season. $18 in the regular season.

Great boat launch. House boats and boats available for rent in the summer, there is a marina store available with food and snacks as well.

New tables, fire grates on all the pits. There is also an ampitheater where they do events and lectures.

There used to be a town where the lake is. There is a great walking tour with signs.

A high mountain isolated small lake

No motor boats and about 7 sites good swimming and weak fishing

Great hiking!

I love Washington because of all its amazing hiking! The campground was mediocre, not really the cleanest, but the hiking made up for it! We did tons of hiking around the area, and enjoyed every single one. The campground itself is pretty small- pretty sure there are only like 12 sites within the campground. When we went, it wasn't too busy. Probably 5 other families there. There is a garbage disposal area there which was nice, although it still seemed a bit dirty. It was $18 a night which we thought was a little on the expensive side for camping, but we only stayed 2 nights and split the cost between 4 people. Great views of Pend Oreille River. We reserved our site online, but I think we definitely could I walked in and got a site. This campground doesn't seem to be used much. Probably wouldn't come back, but maybe try another campground nearby.

Peaceful spot on beautiful Lake Crescent

We stayed in one of the A-frame chalets on the beautiful Lake Crescent as part of our Olympic National Park trip. They had yard games out on the lawn and comfy chairs to relax in. Our patio overlooked the lake. They also had a restaurant on-site and a little shop with snacks, ice cream, and coffee. The tent and RV campsites were a little close together, but in a beautiful setting. Wish we would have had more than 1 night here. Across on the other side of the lake was the Lake Crescent Lodge. Here you could rent canoes and kayaks. They also had a really nice restaurant and gift shop.

Most peaceful place ever

Campgrounds, hiking trails, waterfalls, lake, cabins historic lodge.. heaven! Nice getaway retreat for couples ❤️

Reservations aren't needed

Paid $18 per night but starting October 1st the fee is reduced. I would check the website. Great for fishing. Overlooks lake roosevelt!

High clearance vehicles only

$10 per night, 2 vault toilets, 17 sites right off the creek, fires allowed. I would recommend 4x4 getting here. Great for fishing.

Very Busy Campground

I tried coming here twice and both times it was not only full, but many cars circling through the loops in search of a camp.

I ended up camping a little farther west of Crescent Lake, but came to spend the days here.

It seems like a well-maintained site but just very busy, and loud. I found an area farther away along the lake where I could have some quiet and solitude which was incredibly enjoyable.

The lake is very special, powerful place. I hope people can respect the area, as everywhere I went I found so much trash that I was picking up and packing out.

Hope to return to Crescent Lake soon and enjoy the clean and peaceful waters.

We stumbled on this resort because they were on the Passport America list. They are NO longer a passport America park as they are under new ownership. Nice large campsites, beautiful swimming area and cute little store and breakfast restaurant! Beautiful star-y skies and lots of deer at night!!! No fire ring at the site, there are picnic tables and we had a full hookup site! Staff was super friendly. Dog friendly!

meadows!

Free. 17 sites, two different areas to choose from on either side of the lake. Accessible fishing dock. Vault toilets, picnic tables and fire rings. Trail around the camp ground that takes you threw the meadow and to a look out area which was pretty cool. The trail continues on to an old shelter that is also accessible by car.

free!

Smaller camp ground, 7 sites, with boat launch, good kayaking and fishing, picnic tables and vault toilets.

amazing views

thus place is great. water isnt to far from campsites. the area is beautiful. make sure you book in advance most the time it's full. make sure you check out gardner caves and boundary dam not to far away.

Always the Best Place to Camp

I’ve gone to Lost Lake a few times this year and it’s always such a great place to camp. The road coming in is much less bumpy than it was earlier in the year. Only bummer this time was of course the burn ban, but we all still had a great time. There’s nothing better than getting out of the city for the weekend, and this spot is always my favorite destination.

Great Place for Families

This place has it all! Showers, weekend breakfast, a store, a kayak launch, you name it. This is a great place to come with your family and enjoy a day on the lake. They have big roomy sites and lots of lakefront.

Designed for RV's and Trailers

Very small campground designed only for RV's and trailers. Swimming area is not considered safe, there are large chunk of concrete all along the edge. Fishing in this area is also difficult because of the snags and concrete. Boat launch was closed to vehicles when I visited. Lots of overflow traffic from Alder Lake Campground on weekends.

Beautiful area

The colville national forest. Need I say more. Beautiful views. Lake has store to rent toys to play on lake. We had a great time playing in a row boat all day for a decent price. We had water access from our campsite. But also a beach within walking distance.

Amazing views

Sullivan lake has amazing views. The water is clear. The mountains are beyond gorgeous. About 15 mins from metaline falls is a cave that you can take free guided tours. From the cave it's a small hike to Canada. This area is beautiful and definitely an area you would want to book ahead of time. Campsites fill up fast.

Fairytale

The campground is first come first serve “walk in” sites. No showers, has flush toilets and running water. No electricity at our site, but we had a fairytale view of the forest overlooking the lake.