Colville National Forest, WASHINGTON

Camping Washington Colville National Forest
Most Recent Colville National Forest Camping Reviews
Fly fishing only

Great little lake to get away to and camp. Fly fishing only, quiet and great for kayaking. Nice trail along lake to a grove of old growth trees. Has pit toilet but no water, so bring your own.

Choose someplace else

The people of deer lake resort are very rude and unprofessioal to say the least. "The owner' opened the door to our condo without knocking,forcefully pushed past one of the ladies that was staying in the bedroom #2.  I asked her who she was and her reply was a rude "I own this place and I'm checking to see if they put the new bed in this bedroom Geez , wouldn't the polite way have been to knock on the door and say, excuse me I'm the owner and I would like to see if the new bed has been set up in that bedroom ,do you mind if I look? Very rude and unprofessional to say the least. The rest of the staff had the same attitude… Like they were doing is a favor buy letting us stay in their condo.  We were not offered clean towels or linen the entire 3 1/2 days. I would not recommend this place nor would I ever go back. I could write a book here about everything I am unhappy with but will just leave it as a pretty campground that the new owners will probably run in the ground.

Creek sings ya to sleep

Nice location away from people but most all the sites are close to the dirt road and was woken up a couple of times by the sound and headlights of vehicles. But all in all well kept areas (some garbage left by previous campers, just packed it out with mine). Did have a late night bear visitor but was camping in my van so not too concerning. Very little fallen wood for fire, lots of kindling or if you want there is lots of logs in the creek.

Great Free Campground!

A very lovely free campground provided courtesy of the hydroelectric company. Around 10 sites with free firewood, washrooms, drinking water and a small lagoon for swimming. Did I mention it’s free??

Quiet during the week.

We showed up on a Wednesday and had the camp to ourselves. The camp host is always on site and super friendly. Nice, small, fishing lake in Colville National Forest. Sites all have picnic tables, and fire pits. The bathrooms are vault toilets and well maintained. There is drinking water available. I particularly liked this spot because there are only 8 sites. Some of them have lake views and are a little more secluded. The others are less private. It also has a boat launch. Best part, there is no day use at this site, so the whole campground has a private feel.

Ranger Review: Wenzel Lightweight 2 person Hammock at Flodelle Creek

Ranger Review: Wenzel Lightweight Double Hammock at Flodelle Creek

Campground Review:

Flodelle Creek campground is a great gem off highway 20. It is a bit back there and super small. Only 5 campsites, it is free with a discover pass. I loved the privacy of this campground. Small creek runs by it, but I didnt get any pictures. You really feel out there. the Vault toilets are well maintained, better than expected. Equestrians are welcome, RVs, plenty of space. Very large sites as well.

I was impressed.

Product review:

The Wenzel hammock is great for front country camping!!!  I love the material and design. It comes with some rope and clips to hang your hammock with, however I found them very short and was not able to use it at first.  I am also a larger girl and purchased this not for 2 people, but just myself. I'm kind of picky on what holds me up.  I was disappointed that Wenzel does not have accessories or extra straps available on their website to buy. Overall I love it for my back yard and for over night trips out camping with the family. I also love that it comes in its own pouch and the pouch can be used for my phone, book, suncreen etc. I did purchase additional straps and look forward to trying it again. I think it would be great for most people, unfortunately straight out of the box it just wasn't for me.

Ranger review: Morsel Spork at Trout Lake Campground

Ranger review: Morsel Spork at Trout Lake Campground.

Campground Review:

Trout lake campground is certainly off the beaten path. The road to get there is dirt and gravel. It is uneven with a lot of potholes, also very narrow and no room for others to pass. Super sketchy in my Kia Soul. The drive there is nice, as you go up in to the mountains, great views. Once you get to the campground it is super small with only five sites. pretty popular for boats. the sites are great, well shaded. My favorite site was 5 as it was big, but also right behind the main access to the dock. The dock was flooded this time. Make sure you have everything you need, its a far drive from any store. The lake is good for fishing. The vault toilets are well maintained. Pack out your trash. bring your own water.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, sometimes I get to test cool products in the field. Today I tested the Morsel Spork. I love these things! I was able to get a regular and an xl and test them both, My favorite is the smaller one, because its easier to wield. I can see the benefits of the big xl large one if you have those hard to reach bagged food items but in retrospect it just wasn't for me. They are both lightweight, have the serrated edge, flexible edge on the spoon, and they are both just cool. I love the idea of sporks and Morsel Spork put a lot of thought in their design. I love the materiel, nice and sturdy. It's earned it's way in to my camp back and I'm excited to have them

Ranger Review: GCI Outdoor Recliner chair at North Gorge Campground

Ranger Review: GCI Outdoor Recliner chair at North Gorge Campground

Campground review:

North Gorge is a sleepy little place. Small campground with a small boat launch. There isn't a lot of parking so beware if you bring your truck and trailer here. The sites are small, seemed to be a decent amount of space between them. Vault toilets, well maintained. each site has your standard picnic table, and fire ring. There was a burn ban in August, no fires for us. They actually zip tied no fire signs to each fire pit. There are only a few sites, most for tent camping only, however there are a few that will fit a trailer or rv. It is $9 in the off season Nov 1st to May 30th, and $18 in the peak season

Product review:

**https://www.gcioutdoor.com/folding-recliners/outdoor-recliner/

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, sometime I get to test out awesome products in exchange for an honest review. The GCI outdoor Recliner is well built with quality materials. It is easy to slide in and out of the large storage back. easy to set up and take down. I love the mesh back, it helps to keep you cool in those hot summer days. The chair has 3 reclining positions and my favorite part was reclining the chair all the way to look at the stars, it gives the perfect angle. I also love the storage pocket on the back. just fold up the storage bag and put it in the pocket for a pillow. It has a cup holder, but I wasn't a big fan of the placement. I give this chair an 8/10.

Gorgeous campground on the Pend Oreille River

This is one of the better looking campgrounds in the area. It sits right on the Pend Oreille River in the Colville National Forest, so fishing is good as well as the great views. The campground was nicely maintained and the host was very pleasurable to chat with. The campground offers drinking water, day use area, boat launch, trash removal, and vault toilets.  Firewood is also sold by the host.

The sites are spacious and well separated. Each includes a fire pit, picnic table and tent pad. The website claims that all sites are accessible for any RV but I noticed a couple that might be difficult for large RV's.

With the beauty and maintenance comes a price and that is:

$20/single site

$40/double site

$10/Extra vehicle

$5/Day Use

All in all this place is great but a little pricey for me. I would still highly recommend it to others though as it is a beautiful place to stay, especially iof you have a boat.

Great FREE dispersed sites right on the creek!

I found this awesome little campground on my way to Sullivan Lake from Metaline Falls.

It is just off the main road, next to Sullivan Creek. It is fully a dispersed group of sites so no trash, water, toilet, or any amenities. There is an information sign and several rock rings for fires.  This is my kind of site, just throw your tent up where ever and go fish or hike.

The trees are fairly dense so the whole place is well shaded. Sullivan Creek is right there! Sullivan Lake is just a few miles to the east. With Metaline falls a few to the west, there are shops, eteries, and evan a movie theatre close by.

All in all a great place to stay a couple of nights.

Free Campground on a lake by the dam

This campground is amazing!

It is a small campground right next to the Boundary Dam and thanks to Seattle City Power is absolutely FREE! It just went through a major overhaul so everything is new and well maintained.  Lots of history here including the filming of The Postman.

They provide you with great amenities like full flush bathrooms, extensive day use facilities, Boat launch and dock, Water and trash. It has 22 sites(3 of which are ADA) and 12 RV sites. There are no hookups for the RV's. Each site has a fire pit picnic table and gravel tent pads.

There are many things to do here like check out the Peewee falls which is only viewable by water or take the free dam tour! A short drive away is the Gardner Caves which offers free guided tours if you have a discovery pass. Metaline Falls is also a short drive away in which there are a few eateries and even a movie theater.

Overall it is a great place to camp and boat, my only fault would be the 6 day limit!

I highly recommend checking this place out if you have a chance.

My favorite lake in Washington plus free camping.

This is for Crescent Lake in the NE corner of washington, not the one in the olympics(which is also a wonderful campground). This campground consists of 3 sites decked out with picnic tables, a fire pit, tent pad and bear boxes. There is a vault toilet close to all sites and a bear proof trash bin. There is no host, store, water, or other amenities, the perfect rustic getaway! It is run by the US Forest Service and is TOTALLY free!!! No pass or fee needed. It is just up the hill from the pristine small lake on the road to the Vista House. The vista house is a single room with windows overlooking the Pendorile river as it flows through Boundary Dam and into Canada. The Vista House hase mens and womens flush restrooms if you are camping here and need a bit of civilisation! It is 1 mile from a canadian border crossing yet gets very little traffic. The best feature of this campground is the gorgeous turquoise water in Crescent Lake. It is stocked seasonally with brown and rainbow trout. I have seen MANY turtles and frogs on the shores, as well as elk, deer, bald eagles and even a bear! The Boundary Dam is about 20 minutes away and offers free tours plus there are the Gardner Caves close to that, so there are always activities to do. This is a must see treasure of washington and I HIGHLY recommend at least visiting.

Large campground on Sullivan Lake

Noisy Creek is a large campground on Sullivan Lake's south side. It Is run by the U.S. Forest Service so provides lots of amenities. Some of these include a dock, boatlaunch, Day use facilities, trash pickup/bear bins, water, and vault toilets. The site says it has nineteen campsites, but I swear there were many more than that plus 4-5 group sites on the group side. The pricing is as follows: Single site:$20 Extra vehicle:$10 Day use:$5 The camp host had firewood for sale at$8, which is good because you are 20-30 min from the nearest small town. Be aware you are in bear country here so camp appropriately. Bear Boxes are provided in site as well as fire pits, picnic tables and tent pads. The sites are spacious and fairly separated also. With a quick walk to the lake it is a great summer spot to take the family! If I am not camping in the dispersed sites on the north side of the lake I am here. Overall a great campground you should check out!

Nice campground by Sullivan Lake

It is a nice Campground on Sullivan lake run by the U.S. Forest Service.

It has all the amenities you would expect from a campground run by them. It has vault toilets, onsite trash pickup, and water. There is a day use area on the lake with picnic tables, grills, bathrooms and even a boat launch! It boasts 32 campsites, 6 double campsites, 1 group campsite(up to 40 people) all with picnic tables, fire pits, and tent pads. The pricing is as follows:

$20/single site

$40/double site

$75/group site

$10/Extra vehicle

$5/Day use

Overall This is a nice place with a few small towns close by incase you need supplies. I would check it out if in the area.

Annual trip

My family goes here every year during Labor Day weekend. I have so many fond memories here. Lots of motorcycle trails and access to water if you bring kayaks. We once brought jet skis.

Davis Lake Campground

This was located in Colville National Forrest. Approximately 2 1/2 hours outside of Spokane. The drive wasn’t bad, but the last 45 mins was on a windy dirt road.

Davis Lake Campground

Really disappointed

Looking at campground map, we thought our site would be next to the water. But alas, the sites are back about 50 ft from the water. The waterfront is for parking the cars. :(
The RV’s are packed in like sardines. Our camping rug was 2 inches from the neighbors sewer hose. Goose poop everywhere! Barking / whining dogs, & an over zealous groundskeeper who felt the need to water the lawns around us. So we had wet rugs / table, etc.
Won’t be returning.

Off grid and no cell service

This place is amazing to disconnect from the world yet still have a clean environment. I have been coming here my whole life and still it owns my heart. Most of the toilets are vault with one near the beach that has running water. The sites are mostly level and clear of brush. There are single and double units available too. The fishing is great, but the floating dock on the beach needs some major upkeep! Some great hikes can be had all from the campground. We will most definitely return. There is also a Kiwanis group camp at this campground, so depending on who has it rented it can be fairly noisy & busy during the day.

Terrible management, beautiful campground

Well kept campgrounds, but the owner Dave came into our campsite drunk and belligerent, called our children profanities, then returned later in the evening and proceeded to run his golf cart into two of the vehicles at out campsite yelling more profanities, he then got off of his cart and fell onto a personal camp table smashing it. He also physically assaulted two of the parties at our campsite, this is all after crashing through the campsite next to ours, running over a tent and yelling profanities at the site on the other side of their campsite. The owners refused to pay for any of the damages and the excuse we received was that Dave had a bad day and had been drinking vodka. I just want to remind you this is the owner of the resort. So if you you choose this place just be careful.

Beautiful & quiet.

Great campground with easy access to the woods and a beautiful lake with views and fishing. Paved road, clean drinking water, vaulted toilets, locking dumpsters for trash, no motorized boats allowed. Great for families that enjoy camping, great lake for fishing and kayaking, great spot for birding. There are pull through spots for trailers in the upper part of the campground and back in spots with lake views and access. Walk in and group sites are much more private.

Great and outdoorsy

This place was a little confusing to find the campgrounds at first, but it was a great time. ORV trails and hiking trails, and a wonderful lake to fish and swim. There is a little trading post that you can have dinner or buy small things. No service but well needed to get away and enjoy the outdoors, the owner Rick was a wonderful caring family guy and I will definitely be back!

Perfect Adventure

Went camping at Crescent lake this past week and had the best time. Hiked up to Marymere Falls in the afternoon between rain showers. Nice trail to the falls about 1.6 miles round trip and not very difficult at all. Also hiked the Storm King trail which was difficult at times and really worked my legs but worth every step. Lots of wildlife around the area with Black Tail deer and Raccoons.

The Real Crescent lake

***All reviews below this and above this are for Crescent lake in the Olympic National Park (also beautiful), Not this Crescent lake in the Colville National Forest, which the map indicates.

This Campground is in the thick of the Colville National Forest, on the East side of Washington State. There are only three campsites, best for tents or very small campers, no your 40 foot RV will not fit…..They are not reserveable, fcfs. It is a free campground, 1 mile south of the Canadian border. The road in is narrow and has a bit of down hill slope. Each site is equipped with fire rings, bear boxes and picnic tables. There is one Vault toilet. Bring your own water as there is no access. There is also one bear proof trash can. The campground is up hill from the lake in thick of pines. Just up the road from Crescent lake is the Boundary Dam Vista House. It offers beautiful views of the Boundary Dam, The Canada Border and Beyond, The Pend Oreille River, The Selkirk Mountains, and more! Also close to Metaline Falls, where the 1997 Kevin Costner Film, The Postman, was filmed.

The lake was even clearer than the one on the west side, it is stocked with Rainbow trout, and it's super awesome to see where you are fishing. For being a roadside lake I was quite impressed. There are a very few, SMALL, pull offs on the small dirt road on the lake. At the end is a slightly larger area to turn around in, or park (please leave enough room to let others turn around) There is a rope swing, however, the lake is not deep enough at the moment to be able to swing. People do kayak and canoe. There is no room for your trailer. If it fits in or on your car, feel free to use your boat. Most importantly please, respect this area, it's beauty is unparalleled.

Spectacular views

Beautiful views of Lake Roosevelt and the surrounding mountains and trees   Boat launch available to get out and do some fishing.  Catch Walleye and Rainbows

Unreserved sites, 37. There r 3 group sites that can be reserved.   Swim beach for everyone, shelter for functions.   This campground is  is very well maintained  by the workers of the National Park System. Come on out and enjoy!!

Absolutely beautiful

Love it here! Kinda wish there was more spots but at the same time love how spaced out the camp sites are great for both campers, rv and tent sites. I love Stevens county camp grounds!

Ranger Review- Grubstick at Boundary Dam, Forebay recreation

Campground Review:

Usually I would stay away from campgrounds like Boundry Dam Campground, also known as Forebay Recreation Area. A Free Campground from the Seattle City Lights Project. This place was beautiful and I will be back.

While I didn't realize it until after I had set up camp, site #22 is the best in the campground and also one of three ADA sites. Since there were few others camping, I now see why it was available.They are unmarked and the only thing telling you this is on a board next to the bathrooms, Site 11,13 and 22 were mentioned as ADA on the board, however the entire campground is ADA accessible except the sites 1-4 which are very close together and tent only sites.  The RV sites are also close together.

Site 22 is backed up to the forest, and the most private site in the campground, there is only 1 site next to you and both of these sites are walk in. You park and then carry your gear in. I found this strange for an ADA site. It isn't a far walk and it is very well paved.

Each site has a fire ring and picnic table. There are large and small day use areas along the river side, unfortunately only sites 1-5 are on the water, the rest have a water view, but its more like a parking lot.

The bathrooms are updated, very clean, flush toilets. No showers. They have water spigots close to the sites and they have a lot of power. The landscape was too commercial, I would have preferred if they left the land as it was instead of adding bark chips and planting flowers. Its going to be difficult to keep those growing and maintained.

The fishing dock was also new, sturdy and a beautiful spot for pictures. I have heard, and if you see the reviews under this, there is a waterfall, about a mile away from the dock in the river. Unfortunately I don't have a vessel so was not able to see this first hand. The water was pretty warm, compared to other places in the area. Saw tons of kayaks head out from this point. The waterfall is accessible by water only at this point, however, they are building trailheads, with parking lots and restrooms on the Eastern ridge to provide viewpoints of the waterfall and canyon by 2020.

Cool fact, this is in the town of Metaline Falls, Washington. The Dam and the town are a features in the Kevin Costner film, The Postman.

There is also  FREE Dam tours Thursday-Monday (so don't show up on a Tuesday like us!) They are offered at 10:30am, 12:00pm, 2:00pm and 4:00pm, I will be back very soon to take advantage of this. Its a Hydro Electric Dam and it goes through a Limestone cave!

Just up the Road is a Gardner Caves- Crawford State Park, Garner Caves offers tours of the cave at 10:00am,12:00pm, 2:00pm and 4:00pm. This tour you need a discover pass for. Again, I showed up on Monday evening and was unable to do the cave tour this time, however, I have done Gardner caves and that is super neat!

If you are exploring the upper side of Eastern Washington, or going to Canada, I highly recommend camping, boating and exploring this area.

Ranger Review: Grubstick Deluxe kit

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, sometimes I get awesome camping gear, in exchange for a honest review. Today I am reviewing the Grubstick. The Grubstick is a pretty neat camping cook tool. It has a long extendable handle to keep you and yours safe. It also has along several attachments, so you can become a hit with the kids and really inventive with your camp recipes. This camp trip was an adventure and to keep it easy, we roasted some hot dogs for lunch on the second day.

First, I had the opportunity to get the starter kit and the Deluxe kit. Both pictured here. The Starter kit comes with a Handle, A grub cage (square cage for roasting smore's, fruit, or anything that will fit.) A fork to roast hotdog's and a release tool to open the cage. Its pretty basic but again, pretty great considering your options to cook on this are endless.

The deluxe kit comes with all of that plus, an extra handle, and additional fork, a burgcage, a Grub Pocket to make bacon cups, bread bowls, etc, A Grubtube for making breadsticks, and a bacon clip!

I feel like these are meant for quality food. The cheap hot dogs I had, split down the center seconds after exposing them to the fire, making it hard to turn the stick with out the hot dogs also turning, and trying to slide off the stick, so they were not getting evenly cooked. Again, not a testament to the Grubstick at all. I love the idea of it, it just didn't work right with the cheap hot dogs. I am super excited to try them in the future and use the other attachments. They shipped very quickly and they are made of high quality materials, They also came in great carry bags. I actually only brought the grubstick with me instead of my large bulky camp stove, while that would have been a nice idea, always bring a back up- in case there is a sudden torrential downpour that makes it so you cannot have a campfire.

All in all, very cool tool, I can see using these on family camp trips with the kids and making smores. Brats or polish sausage would work better than hot dogs on the fork.

Great place

Had a blast nice clean sites good healthy trout

Nice campground to bring your toys!

Found this gem while driving around. It's fairly new, so people don't know too much about it. It was completely empty when we stopped by. We cooked lunch and hung out here, walking around the campground. Nobody showed up, so we decided to stay. The sites are all first come- first serve, there are very large sites with plenty of room for parking. If I remember correctly, there is 8-9 sites. All of them seem ADA accessible. There are vault toilets that seem to be maintained well considering the emptiness of the campground. The night sky was aweome! It's a gravel/dirt road, can be pretty dusty as it is an ORV/toy campground so I presume it could get noisy. The lake isn't far and a nice place to just hang out.

Dispersed camping paradise on Nile lake

Hey Dyrt users! Today I have a little gem of an area for you to experience, Nile lake in Washington. This little lake is just of highway 20 on a small dirt road about 2-3 blocks long. It is dispersed and very primitive, so bring what you need and pack out everything! There is a field around the lake with a few rock circles for fire pits. There are also a few rock circles in the forest along the dirt road. The national forest sign at the beginning of the road has the usual postings for a dispersed campground. The road runs to a small loop at the lakes edge. When I was there the water seems to have risen to the road itself. The lake is open to watercraft, but there is no launch/ramp. There are also  more than a few trails around the area if you grow tired of the lake. Overall it is tough to beat a free  campsite in untouched nature.