the dyrt
Mississippi River Headwaters - Leech Lake, PENNSYLVANIA
Most Recent Mississippi River Headwaters - Leech Lake Camping Reviews
Great Family Fun!

Great campground! Lots of fishing, swimming and you can rent kayaks or paddle boats. Beach had a concession stand and camping was very shaded and secluded! No cell service but you won't even miss it.

Perfect place to see the stars

Cherry Springs had a great campground with decent space between campsites. Each campsite had a fire pit and a picnic table and most had trees behind them. We stayed in a drive up site that was close to the restrooms and had a clear field near us to look up and stargaze.

Very well manicured

This Park is clean, well maintained, and well manicured. I enjoyed the Nature Inn and surrounding area more than the campsites. The camp hosts were strange and were not helpful. I had to go find my own site, see if the electric worked because they were having issues, then check myself in, and still had to pay a booking fee when I did all the work! A very family oriented campground, nothing wrong with that, except everyone stared at me and made me uncomfortable because I was camping alone. I would greet people and get no response so I gave up. The next morning on my quest to find coffee, I found the Nature Inn and it, the staff, and the view were awesome. I spent quite awhile there, relaxing, enjoying my coffee, the lake view, the birds, and taking lots of photos. I do plan to visit the Inn again but not the campground.

Perfect for Stargazing

We mainly came to this camp ground for stargazing and it was awesome! We brought our own telescope and set it up but there were a lot of people with telescopes willing to share with people who didn't have one.

We LOVED Camping here

We had a lot of fun camping here. There are some great hikes in the area. The campsites are pretty close to each other but we ended up making friends. Make sure to bring your telescope!

Won't go again!

Over priced, no privacy, behind some sort of industrial factory. Not worth the money. Unless you like having your neighbors on top of ya and pay almost $200 for 5 days for it. No natural wood to burn they have taken out all the grass and made their campsites gravel. No trees to provide natural shade. And firewood is $11 a bundle. There prices that are on the website arent accurate. Only positive is there pool my kids had a good time. The staff is friendly. I'm a camper and this wasn't camping in my opinion.

Primitive camping on a lake

Camping at Lake Raystown…it's a primitive campground with no electricity. Get your water at a hand pump and they have pit toilets. Nice place to camp along the lake. Water sites are available.

Nice!

I grew up camping here and it's a great place to stay! Penn's Creek runs beside it…it's a lot of fun to float the creek. Great fishing too! No cell service.

Great!

Great campground! They have a swimming area, concession stand, showers, bathrooms and changing area. You can camp, fish, boat, kayak, hike and swim! There isn't any cell service as you are way back in the mountain but it's so beautiful and relaxing you won't care!!

Beautiful and peaceful

This campground is beautiful! It's so peaceful and serene. There's a nice creek that rund through it, picnic pavilions and a playground for the kids! They used to have a swimming pool but they removed it a few years ago.

Well maintained campground near star field.

This is a great little camp right beside the star field. The camp is wooded and well maintained. There are a ton to totally level spots which is why I took the one star off, but my family of four enjoyed it. The latrine toilets are kept very clean. We had a group that partied all night and definitely got sick in the latrine but the park staff were there by about 9 am cleaning it out. I do wish they were a bit more strict with some of the campers, as the party group also had a movie screen and projector and it was a bit of a bummer to have that much light near the star field but it was fine. Most campers are good about maintaining low light or red light to help maintain night vision. Tons of birds to see and you can hear cyotes. Go on a new moon so you can see the most stars.

Gorgeous Riverside Camping

Large grassy sites right on the Juniata River. Tubing, canoeing, swimming. Nice pool. GORGEOUS landscaping. Very friendly.

Lots of activities. Wonderful place

A lot of activities to enjoy and keep yourself busy. Or just sit back, relax, and enjoy the surroundings. Will certainly be going back!

Beautiful place. Not so great owners

The owners were a bit rude and unhelpful at times. What was lacking in staff was made up for, somewhat, by the beautiful views and peaceful surroundings. Great for some easy hiking.

Beautiful location. Great camping

Really nice place and well worth the trip there. Great for families and getting some really wonderful views of nature.

I have stayed at better places

When I went it was seemed like it was a bit more run down. That was a couple years ago though so hopefully it has improved.

Great for Families

Really nice owners. Great place to visit and very clean. Would certainly go back!

Small campground big sites

This is very rustic with electric options which is nice. The campsite we were at was very large probably better for a trailer but we enjoyed the space with our tent. We stayed at site 3 which was across the drive from a bathhouse which also had a shower, nothing fancy just a shower but a shower none the less. We really enjoyed our time here and it’s about halfway in between the PA Grand Canyon and Williamsport. We ended doing both during the LLWS.

Plain but nice!

Camp hosts were strange and not very helpful. I ended up doing everything myself. It seemed to be very family oriented, so much so that they made me feel strange for being there alone. The campgrounds were nice and clean. The lake was beautiful but I loved the Nature Inn which is where I had my morning coffee overlooking the lake.

Open, good sized sites, no trees so great for seeing the stars

There are no trees here so you can see the stars more easily; but keep in mind that means there isn't an easy way to hang a tarp if it rains so be prepared. Sites are far apart and pretty large. No cell service, vault toilets.

Very Family Friendly

Great camping ground for families and for RVers. Cabins are available for those who would rather stay in one of them.

Really easy hiking, good for swimming

Also known as Halfway Dam, or R.B. Winter, this is a great place for some easy hiking trails and beautiful scenic walks. Also, very family friendly for swimming, picnicking or other great activities.

Nice campground. Bad water pressure.

I honestly struggled with what to rate this campground. I loved the area. Very peaceful and quite, but close to State College (a must since we were in town for a Penn State game). I also loved historic Bellefonte (I highly recommend eating at the Governors Pub). It had a cute little dog park, nice play ground, bouncy pillow, gem mining, pool, etc.- what you expect to find at a KOA. Once we were in it, I even loved our site once we were in it. It was very secluded, private, quite and woodsy. That being said- getting into the site was almost impossible. We didn't think we'd be able to do it. And as it was, our slide out was about an inch away from a tree on one side and up against a raised concrete pad on the other. For a smaller camper, it was probably perfect, but I really don't think they had any business putting a camper our size in that site. Width wise, the site was large and had some sort of shrub growing in the middle of the entrance which helped with giving it more privacy. Then there was the water pressure… or lack of water pressure. Saying it trickled out would be generous. Though there was a lot about the campground that I liked, I won't go back again just based on the water pressure alone. I've never been that stressed out trying to rinse my hair… It could very well have just been a problem with our site- we were in the very back on the hill. Or it may be a problem everyone was experiencing. I'm not sure which is why I gave it a 4 rating. I liked everything about it but that.

People and their pups will love this campground

The sites are affordable, spacious, and they allow dogs. The campground is quiet at night and the stars are sensational. It's also super close to Cherry Springs if you want the full dark sky experience. The bathroom and showers were clean. Sink area outside for convenience, like a wash area, very handy. Little creek runs beside it for kids to play and explore. There's a beach with concessions stand and paddle boats on the lake with the prettiest skyline of surrounding the lake. Got an ATV? They have trails that run all over the place. Love this campground. Wish it was closer to home.

There's a better choice

Lyman Run State Park is a better choice.

Very nice state park campground

This is one of our favorite campgrounds. Very neat & clean. Full hookup sites & pet friendly. Close to dam where the fish are plentiful. Nice level sites.

Great place to relax, get away and enjoy the outdoors!

We have stayed at Bald Eagle several times and have enjoyed our stay. The park has basic, water & electric as well as a few full hookup up sites. The sites are very spacious with a picnic table and fire rings and are easy to back into even with a rig as big as ours. We stayed recently and the park office was undergoing rennovations and expanding their camp store. We discovered one of the evening talks about the eagles nesting in the park and the ranger set up binoculars for us to try and see the nest. Very peaceful place to stay with lots to explore. The views are spectacular in the fall with beautiful foliage! If you are not the camping type you can stay at the Nature Inn and enjoy the beautiful lodge in an amazing location! Definitely tops on our list of state parks in Pennsylvania!

Wonderful little State Park

Beautiful setting for camping along a stream and the mountains. We try to get here a couple times a year. Electric only but water fill up is in convenient locations. Dump station is provided. Well maintained and clean. So many outdoor activities abound. The Mid State hiking trail comes right through the Campground and there are numerous other trails within the park. There is a lake for swimming, kayaking and fishing. Minutes away from Big Pine Creek and additional swimming, boating and fishing opportunity. A world class rails to trails biking and hiking trails has numerous access points close by. Your in walking distance to Happy Acres Restaurant & Bar. Enjoy a meal, snack, ice cream cone or an adult libation. They also have a well stocked camp store and a game room. Very affordable camp rates.

Something for everyone

Passing through? Not far off the major highways of I -80 and Rt. 15. Pull thoughts for overnight. Have kids? Activities, play facilities, animals to feet and pet, pond. Wonderful Camp store. Many nice wooded sites. Reasonably priced.

No Frills down to earth camping!

If you have to be entertained, this might not be the place for you. Nice hosts, well maintained. Nestled in between mountains and right long Lycoming Creek, this Campground is close to great hiking and fishing opportunities. They have a nice group area with large pavilion. Reasonably priced. I only rated this a three because if your looking for a pool, camp store, game room constant activities, then you won’t find it here. But if you just want to get away from it all and relax in a peaceful setting then this would be a 4 or 5!