Siuslaw National Forest, OREGON
Most Recent Siuslaw National Forest Camping Reviews
Privacy little, trails yes!

We liked the site we got(37) and there was a couple more that had some privacy, but most of them were right on the road. If you are "Camping" with a motor home this isn't a big deal, but tent camping makes it a downer(I'll show in pictures). The group site here is huge and has a lot of amenities (sink, electric, tables, and a covered area) 125.00/night.(pictures). The day-use area has one of the best view I've seen on the Oregon Coast.(picture) There is a nice Creek, and nice trails surrounding the place (picture of map) close to ocean and cool stuff like Thor's Well.(picture)

To close for comfort

Small campground, I feel it’s too close to the highway because of the road noise and loose pets or even small children could wander to the edge of the highway.

Great fishing

Quite area with excellent fishing spots.

Great state park on the southern Oregon coast

This was the very first place we camped with our year old daughter in 1990 and we were not disappointed to return. Very large and clean sites with generous level parking pad (across from us, we watched a monster RV back in with room to spare. Staff upon arrival was very helpful in recommending a site that would best suit our needs (we were looking for a site with fewer trees and more sun). Restrooms were clean and the hand dryer had WARM air - yeah! We were able to take a 6-mile round trip walk to the Coquille Lighthouse along the beach (you can drive to the day use area for a much shorter walk) and enjoyed lots of interesting driftwood along the beach. Nearby is the small and proud town of Bandon. Good bakery and cute shops.

Good option for mid-coast camping

We were lucky to snag a site with electrical hookups here on a Friday without reservations. (there were plenty of tent only sites). This was one of few campgrounds we visited that had staff at the check-in booth; we appreciated that we were allowed to check out available sites before making a commitment (you can do this with unstaffed Oregon state park campgrounds as well). There are a lot of trees but we could still see stars at night. Our site was a little bit of a hike to the bathroom which was not too bad but there was only cold water and the hand dryers blew COLD air only (and since it was chilly at night, I would have appreciated warm air!). This campground is good if you want access to the dunes. Unfortunately, the dunes are heavily used by ATV riders. We are not ATV fans so we ended up visiting Cape Perpetua, about 45 minutes north instead.

Not the way I remembered it.

We enjoyed several wonderful camping trips at this park in the 1990s and eagerly looked forward to returning but were so disappointed upon returning that we ended up not staying! The trees had grown so tall that the sun was never going to reach any of the sites, many of which were closed for maintenance. It had rained for two days prior to our arrival and the sites were dark, damp, and in some cases, dripping wet. On the plus side, there is a wonderful trail that goes under Route 101 with direct access to Heceta Head Lighthouse. I would consider giving it another try in the future because it used to be one of our favorite campgrounds.

Absolutely amazing!

This campground has everything and more! My only regret is making this the first campground in my family’s camping experience, the bar was set way high! There is a botanical garden, tide pools, swimming beaches, and very importantly, clean showers and bathrooms! It is so picturesque, it almost looks fake. There is a lighthouse that makes noise at night so I recommend earplugs to sleep. I wish I was closer to visit again.

Best

This is the best RV resort that I’ve been to. This is what got me into RV camping.

Love it

This place is great

Solid camping spot

Clean, accessible campground near the coast. The half mile trail from the camp to the beach is very nice and easy to walk. My partner and I van camp so we don’t need electric or water hook ups, but we took the spot near the path. Costs $31 a night in a RV spot, and $21 for a tent sight. The bathrooms and showers were clean, and they have firewood for sale in the camp. My only “complaint” would be my 2002 Astro got some looks from the other campers, who seemed to be older, well-off white folks. There were many expensive trucks, trailers, and RVs parked here lmao. I bet they got a kick out of us young-ins in a little van.

A childhood favorite

I have been frequently this campground for 20 years and although a lot has changed in that time this campground seems to stay wonderful. Campsites are nicely maintained and practically on the beach with nearby hiking trails and pet friendly beaches. Campsites are pet friendly and nice sized with fire pits and picnic benches. Bathrooms and showers located nearby and the entire campground is very peaceful.

Beautiful campground

Pretty campground surrounded by large, old trees. Sites are small and close together, so limited privacy. I was able to show up and get a site for the night no problem. The roads are very narrow, so it might be difficult for large rvs to park. Close to the beach & perfect for tidepooling!

Perfect location

Great jumping off point for cape arago & sunset bay!

Gloomy pit but good dog park

When we Stayed: Mid-April, Thursday night

Overall Experience: would not stay again in the tiny, cramped, dark campsite.

Sites: the whole park was down a slope with a creek running through. It was dark and gloomy and a mosquito haven. Our site was uneven and narrow. Walking around, the park seemed nicer especially on the upper loop with bigger sites and less mosquitos.

Dog Friendly: the best part about the park was the nice sized off leash dog park.

Beautiful campground in a cove among the trees.

This is a great family campground. Walk to the beach on a nicely maintained foot trail, and there are other trails that wind through the trees. Close to Charleston harbor where you can go crab or fishing.

Great little park with an awesome lighthouse!

We pulled in Saturday with no reservations but had no problem finding a walk in spot. They only had about 6 sites open since they were doing construction on the second loop.

Pretty quiet. You do hear atv noise in the distance but we weren't disturbed by it. Mosquitos were out but what can you do. Beautiful forest and lots of greenery. Camp hosts were very friendly.

We paid $29 for w/e. I think fhu was $33.

Pretty good cell service with Verizon.

MUST DO: go visit the Umpqua River Lighthouse. It's next to the campground and offers beautiful ocean views as well as a gift shop, museum, and tour. The tour is $8 and worth it! You even get to go into the lens room!

Oregon Coast!

As with all coastal campgrounds this one is busy! Beautiful, well shaded and has some beautiful walking trails. The beach is always amazing and is a short walk from the campground. One of the highlights is the lighthouse. So much history! The bathrooms are pleasant and we'll maintained. Even have showers! One handicap spot. Large campground, some sites have full hook ups. It is not reservable so get there early!

Quintessential Oregon Coast Camping + Gregory Jade 63 Liter Backpack

========== Cape Perpetua ===========

Cape Perpetua is quintessential Oregon coast camping. Essentially just across the street from The People's Coast, beaches, and popular attractions like Devil's Churn, you still get to enjoy the unique forests of sitka spruce and alder that make the Pacific Northwest so special.

The campground at Cape Perpetua shows this off to its best advantage. This campground runs back from Highway 101 to the start of the Spruce Trail that winds further up the headlands. The campground itself is quite level and next to a charming stream, with spacious sites punctuated regularly by clean, well-kept bathrooms.

I appreciated several qualities that set Cape Perpetua apart.

1) The campground hosts were excellent. You could see they are very attentive to the bathrooms, trash, etc, but were never intrusive, just available. You do need exact cash to pay for your site, but if you're a few bucks short like we were after attempting to stay at another campground further south, they'll direct you to a convenient ATM at the general store in Yachats.

2) I love the beach and beach camping, but I'm also a little paranoid about the big Cascadia earthquake we're overdue for. If you're also leery of sleeping in the tsunami zone when you aren't super familiar with evacuation directions for the area, you can rest easy knowing that this campground is outside the tsunami evacuation zone.

3) We had no problem fitting three two-man car camping tents in our site, plus a minivan, with room for camp chairs around the fire pit and all our things over the picnic table. The tent sites have "floors" of soft grass and clover, and many are shaded, or recessed into little alcoves that are very private with low "walls" of ferns and moss. The other sites looked similarly roomy, and even if they're close together you don't feel on top of your neighbors.

4) It's just a few minutes to Yachats proper, where you can enjoy the brewery, ice cream shop, cute boutiques, the general store, etc.

========== Gregory Jade 63 Liter Backpack ===========

As a Dyrt Ranger, I get to review products from time to time. On my trip to Cape Perpetua, I brought my new Gregory Jade 63 Liter Backpack in Mayan Teal along for a test drive. Packing at home, I was already impressed with the attention to detail paid by the design team. Little touches, like the zipper pulls having slight corners that make it easy for your fingers to grip, the shape of the back padding and robust hip belt made with the female body in mind, and the color-coded alligator clips that make it clear how every strap is meant to pair all add up to a great user experience.

The 63 liter pack is robust, with more than enough room for a two-man car camping tent, sleeping bag, ground pad, Primus camp stove kit, first aid kit, water bottle, and odds and ends. It was ideal for this car camping trip, but could easily serve on a backpacking trip, too. Despite the roomy interior, though, it never felt too big or disproportionate for my 5'6, 170 pound frame. On the contrary, it was far more comfortable and intuitive to pack than my old NorthFace pack.

Like many backpacking packs, the Gregory Jade 63 Liter has a bottom compartment that's partitioned off from the main, cavernous interior. That's topped with a "brain" that is accessed by zipper and snaps down with alligator clips. There's a big mesh pocket on the front and two side mesh pockets. Gregory smartly doesn't reinvent the wheel on a basic backpack structure that works, but the beauty is in how well it executes this familiar style. The mesh pockets are breathable, yet slightly opaque, and the fabric is plenty tough and stretchy. The zipper pulls are really easy to manipulate, as I noted above, big enough for your fingers to find them in the dark or even get a finger slotted in there to pull, but not so large they're obnoxious or catch on things.

The back panel is my very favorite. As a Southern girl used to very sweaty summer hikes, I appreciate the way the mesh and the curved back of the pack are separate, offering lots of airflow, without sacrificing support. The hip pads on the Gregory Jade 63 have a lot more structure than I've seen on other packs, and have the same breathable construction, so I know they'll reduce the kind of rubbing Cheryl Strayed wrote about in "Wild" on her hip bones and sacrum and that I've had to put up with in the past, too. You can tell this pack is meant for long treks because the hip belt is far more robust than on Gregory's day packs.

Overall, I'm very happy with my new pack and am confident it will hold up as well as the smaller Gregory Juno 30 liter I use for my daily commuter and weekend bag. A year later it still looks brand new, so I look forward to still sporting this beautiful backpacking pack years down the road and many (comfortable!) adventures later.

This campground is amazing. Clean, well maintained, park staff helpful.

Tugman is a great park for families. The campsites are big and the bathrooms and showers are always clean. They have reader boards that show activity’s that are going on. There is a lake on grounds that is a short walk or bike ride. They have a huge field and playground also hiking trails.

Nice county park campground !

-Close to lots of hiking in the area -Working with camp hosts was easy. Money drop box or can use card with host (just call ahead) -Tent spots have room for car next to your area. Extra cars are an extra fee. Sites have a fire pit with grate and a picnic table. -Trash / recycling on site. -Close to town-campground sells firewood -It is what you would expect from a county park camping ground in terms of layout. You will feel safe here, shower/bathroom amenities, and kind hosts. Short walk to the bay and about mile down road / or walk along the bay to the open ocean !

Decent back up

Stayed here once because no other places available. It was clean, but a bit loud, and no privacy. It is a few miles from Mapleton, and right next to the highway. The area is very beautiful and the creek is nice. I didn't hate it, but also did not love it. I recommend going to clay creek or Whittaker creek if possible.

Surprisingly nice

Usually when I stay at a large campground I expect no privacy, and load campers. However I was very pleasantly surprised to find lush, dense vegetation that lended some privacy. The place was clean, well maintained, with good sized camp sites. I was able to set up a 7 person teepee tent, as well as a 3 person dome, with plenty of space away from the fire pit. There is a nice hiking trail connected to it, as well as Sutton lake a short distance away. Highly recommend. And it is $24 a night, little spendy for me.

Simple, quiet

Wild strawberry growing on the dunes

Be careful of the camp host

Decent camp ground , horrible / dangerous camp host I’ve been going there since 85ish in the recent years the camp host have been volatile towards young children and campers in general. I’ve seen them call the sherif and rangers and have innocent families uprooted and removed for no reason . Unfortunately I will never be returning to a place that I’ve had so much history growing up a place that was like my second home all b cause camp host threatened multiple families multiple years in a row and I had to bare witness. Very very sad

Lots of space. Loud motorcycles on the beach

It's a fine place to camp. Nice spots. Lots of motorcycles driving around 24/7

Fishing delight

Very nice staff. Good clean RV Park. Charleston is a major homeless people region and the park has no gates. Hence, the wanders come in a lot. Security is good and do a lot to help. We call twice in the eeek stay. Really good guys. Crabbing g was good on docks close by. Clean showers and rest rooms. Fish cleaning room is awesome! NO RENTAL BOATS IN COOS BAY ORCHARLESTON!

Amazing resort!

Short stay here! All amenities! Cabins, full facilities! Lake access galore

Basic review for basic location

LArgentina open spaces for people who have toy haulers. Tons of noise all day and night. Come here if you have sand toys or horses!

Rest rooms but no showers. Basic fire rings and that's it.

Right next to the dunes!

Quaint location. Great amenities!

We visited this campground for the second time this past weekend and even in late October it is a fantastic location to go on the coast!

It has tent sites, RV pads cabins and is one of the few locations where delux yurts can be rented.

W stayed in a cabin last time, but that loop is closed for construction until 2019.

This time it was the delux yurt, which sleeps up to 9 people, has it's own bathroom with toilet, sink and shower, microwave, fridge, kitchen sink,TV, DVD player and heater that will cook you out if you want it to. Outside comes with a porch, picnic bench and 4 burner gas grill. Fantastic for group rental! We had 5 adults and it was a ton of space!

The yurts are just up the hill from the lake where you can go fishing and hike the approximately 1 mile long trail.

There is also a day use area with benches and a small sandy beach.

Lover this place!

Great acess for RV and ATV campers

Loop A & B: Sitting right in Winchester Bay, this campground likely got this name because of the wind chills that whip by during the night or stormy days. I would not go tent camping at this site, but RV, trailer, car-camping and ATV use would be great! This site has access to their piers for fishing, access to small local shops, and the dunes are less than 5 minutes away. We enjoyed visiting the Umpqua Lighthouse State Park while in town and recommend trying DD’s pub for fresh oysters caught in the oyster triangle.

This site DOES have bathrooms, showers, and a large playground. There is no privacy between the sites, be forewarned.

More info:http://www.co.douglas.or.us/parks/view_park.asp?id=49&features=&cnt=