Yurts
Valley of the Rogue State Park is located in Oregon
26 Reviews of Valley of the Rogue State Park
Ranger Review: Eclipse Sun Sleeves at Valley of the Rogue State Park

Campground Review:

Along my summer road trip to the Pacific Northwest, I stopped in at this fantastic State Park! Perched right along side the Rogue River in the Valley of the Rogue, this gem of a campground is excellent for anyone traveling along the 5 freeway headed either north or south. It has 158 camp sites of which most are full hookup or partial hookup, with some pull through options. As I was camping with my In-laws who own an RV, there were plenty to choose from! They also have Yurts and group camping sites available. Other amenities include flush toilets, hot showers, a volleyball court, day use area, riverside trail, and green-way paved trail through the park.

My overall impression of the Park was great! The access was easy, as the park was right off the freeway. This seemed like it would deter from the overall appeal, but the river noise somewhat drowned out the traffic noise. I loved having walking-distance access to the river! The water was flowing fairly quickly due to the high snowfall this year, but there was a great rocked-off area just down from our campsite where you could get into the water and wade around without the fear of your dog or child getting swept away(though kids should be closely monitored near the water). We stayed over the 4th of July, and we were close enough to towns in the area to access fireworks shows and events. The only major downside was that the campsites were fairly close together with not much undergrowth for privacy. In general this was a great camping experience that I would recommend.

Product Review:

Occasionally I get the opportunity to review products as a Ranger for The Dyrt. During this camping experience I thoroughly enjoyed trying out my sun sleeves from Eclipse sun protective clothing.

My first impressions of the fit were apprehensive since I had read other reviews/comments that described the sleeves and clothes as running a bit small. I am 6’1”, around 200 lbs, and have an athletic build. The sleeves come in 3 sizes(Small, medium, and large) and the Large fit me perfectly! They were comfortable, light in material, and maintained a very cool temperature on my arms despite the 90+ degree temperatures. I am a cyclist and often use modular clothing during long bike rides, especially during the cold hours of the morning, but I had not been able to find a sleeve that wasn’t way too hot during summer days. This sleeve accomplished the feat nicely and I look forward to wearing it during some rides in the future. There were multiple colors to choose from, including some with decorative patterns(even pink polka dot and Leopard). I am not quite so flashy in my color choices so I chose Pewter and was very happy with the color as it looked very similar to the pictures in person. The sleeves breathed very well and wick away moisture quickly leaving my skin dry underneath. They have a convenient thumb hole and half-glove that can be used or simply folded up on the wrist if unneeded. I highly recommend these sleeves to anyone who is as fair as I am and does not prefer to wear sunscreen. I personally despise wearing sunscreen and it is a bad pollution to our streams, rivers, lakes, and oceans. These sleeves are a much more environmentally friendly option that are functional, stylish, and good quality.

Great location!

Clean, easy access, river close by, and have everything you need. Right off I-5 and close to town of Rogue River if you need food or supplies.

Good spot, not riverfront

For the price ($29 EW/$31 Full) it's a great spot. We stayed in F loop, partial hookups, and there's a Riverside walking trail to get you down by the river. Looks like some other spots in the area have spots right on the river but they're pricier. The state park is quiet and the spots are spaced out pretty well.

Lots of amenities and lots of people

This is a really big campground with lots of trees and lawn space. The sites are kind of close together, there isn't much privacy. The showers and other amenities are really nice. Our campsite was about a 2 minute walk from the river. We visited during the week in August and the got the very last campsite available.

Just Okay

I feel like I should probably like this campground more, after reading other reviews that call it the "best campground in Oregon" and such, for me it was just kind of meh. The campground is huge with numerous loops full of RVs and tents, and there's plenty of grass and space for running around, but most of the sites are really on top of each other without much in the way of privacy in-between. It's also right off the I-5 freeway and you can definitely hear the traffic.

For us the absolutely best park was the ranger program/camp host activity that was going on while we were there. They had water activities, a tent to check out animal skulls and such, and lots of kids hanging out and playing. I don't know, however, if that event was specific to the awesome camp hosts who were there at the time or if it's always going on.

Overall a pretty basic campground with some major drawbacks including the traffic noise and less-than-exciting campsites, though we never made it down to the river, which I'm sure would have been a lot more fun.

Lot's of amenities

This park was filled with green lawns and very clean, new, showers. The Rogue River was very accessible. The campground was also full of people, mostly families with small children.

Popular State Park Near the Rogue River

Popular state park on the banks of the Rogue River in Southern Oregon. Numerous RV camp loops with cement pads. Full-Hook-ups available, though sites are close together. There are a few that are near the shoreline of the river. Tent camping also available on-site, though the whole campground is near I-5 in that the main entrance is through a rest area. That said, it’s a well loved and well used park with nice facilities. When we were there the camp host was hosting a cool junior ranger program complete with a tent of nature artifacts and activities for the kids.

Clean and calm! But close to i5

Grest, clean facilities. A decent amount of space between campsites… But it is very very close to the interstate so its pretty loud at night. It is located on the river though, so that is nice!

Perfect quick & easy stop from Ca to Wa

I read reviews before I came and knew what to expect. It was convient to pull off Hwy 5 after a long trip with 4 kids and set up camp quickly. We had a tent site -A9 and it was a roomy site close to a very clean bathroom. It was definitely close to the freeway and you can hear the car traffic, but we were so tired that it was nice white noise.

There was a nice trail by our site and it runs along the river, which can be accessed in a few places where the brush has been cut back. We would definitely stop here again on our way up to Wa again.

Best State Campground in Oregon

This is a great campground just outside of Grant’s Pass, OR. We used it as a stop over on the way to Crater Lake so we could get up early and get a good spot at one of the National Park campgrounds. The sites are decently far apart from one another, but there isn’t a ton of privacy. The best part is most certainly the amenities - including free showers! There’s a decent amount of shade and it’s not far from town if you need to stock up on supplies. The staff is very friendly and the bathrooms are clean.