the dyrt
Crater Lake National Park, OREGON
Most Recent Crater Lake National Park Camping Reviews
Great Hub for Rogue River and Crater Lake Activities

We really enjoyed a couple of nights here in September. The place was about half full. Quite clean and quiet, which was nice for us as tent campers. The hosts are friendly, and had firewood for sale. We were surprised that fires were allowed, so we were willing to pay abut $10 for an armload that lasted us for the evening. The sound of the Rogue River is so soothing.

It was great having the Rogue River trail run right past the campground. We checked out the Rogue Gorge trail, which is a short loop past some dramatic narrow sections of the river. We also walked down toward the Natural Bridge, which is an amazing spot where the river runs down into a lava tube and then emerges about 100 yards later.

It's also a pretty easy drive back up to Crater Lake, which also was pleasantly uncrowded. Over the course of three days, we did several hikes.

Internet and phone service are pretty much non-existent, which was fine. You can connect up around Crater Lake Lodge.

Spacious lake side campground

Large campground with lots of dispersed campsites. Bathrooms, water, firewood, hookups, picnic tables, etc. This campground has a movie screen set up for outdoor movies. It also has big fields and is located right next to lost lake. Very pretty well maintained campground with lots of recreational activities close by!

WHAT a beautiful place!

Took the kids camping here for the first time tent camping and we had a blast. Albeit a bit dusty and rustic, we couldn’t believe how beautiful the lake view was from atop the trailheads and how spectacular the views of the pinnacle rocks were on drive down towards the lake. The campground is clean, well kept and there is bear proof boxes to keep them hybrids of your things which was reassuring and helpful. We will definitely be returning.

Great Campground

Great campground with spectacular views of Fourmile Lake and Mt. Mcgloughlin. Most of the campsites are quite roomy, some are private, and some are open. The camp host is very helpful and friendly.

Great place

Very peaceful

Large sites with good food & nice owners

We went to the resort instead of the forest service site because of the size of the campsite and the friendly people.

Great Campground near the Crater Lake Area

This is a great campground only about 45 minutes from Crater Lake National Park. It is a very large campground with spots on the river, sunny spots, spots with rock fireplaces, very large spots, a wide range of spots to choose from. There was heavy smoke from nearby forest fires and fires from California that caused a lot of people to not visit the campground, making it very quiet and relaxing for those of us who did visit. Due to the smoke, I did not visit any of the nearby hiking spots but did take a photo posted on the information board. However the park is so large with many roads and paths that just walking around the park was great. There were also several people and kids riding their bikes around, I definitely recommend bringing bikes. The small village of Union Creek at the entrance had a couple restaurants, a food truck, a general store, an ice cream shoppe, and another campground. The general store sold bundles of wood for a couple bucks cheaper then the Campground Host, and the Huckleberry ice cream at the shoppe was a perfect summer treat.

I was in spot 78. It was a large spot with the river running about 200 yards behind it. There was enough room for several tents. The path to the river, led right to a private sand bar in a slow moving part of the river. Great for families. The bathroom was also fairly close to the spot.

The cons for this spot, the water and trash were very far away. If you were filling up anything more then a water bottle you would have to drive to fill up on water. There were also only a couple locations that had trash bins making it possible to walk to, but again if you had a large amount of trash or leaking trash bag you would have to drive.

Overall I highly recommend this campground, especially the spots near 78.

Spacious quiet spot

This snowpark has a big parking area with plenty of room for trailers/vehicles. There are bathrooms and a warming shelter that has a wood stove. The park is close to Crater Lake National Park anout 10ish miles down hwy 62. Nice pretty spot that is easy to get to. No hookups and no water available do be sure to bring it.

Lake shore site

Two weekends after Labor Day we arrived without reservations at the campground where we enjoyed a lakeside site. This is a beautifully located, well maintained campground. Hot showers are available on an honor system; donate for the time under the spray.

Most Affordable NPS Campground Ever!

It was only $5 a night to stay here! Granted there was no running water and the only toilets were plastic portable ones but to camp in the incredible Crater Lake National Park that felt like a steal! Lost Creek is tent camping only and there are no fires allowed. There's only a handful of sites that were almost full by later afternoon. The sites are separated by low brush that doesn't provide too much privacy but also keeps the campground from feeling crowded. It's a quiet campground about 3 miles from the Rim Road. Another 4 miles down the road is are the Pinnacles, super cool formations left behind when the volcano erupted 7,700 years ago.

I visited mid-September and it was very chilly in the evening and early morning when the sun was behind the mountains. I woke up to a solid layer of frost and ice in all my water. There is water available throughout the park but campers are encouraged to bring their own form outside Crater Lake so as not to put pressure on the watershed.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking one of the ranger led sunset hikes up Watchman Peak. Or, if learning about history and nature along the way isn't your thing, walking up to the peak alone.

Relatively Quiet

I arrived mid-day in the middle of the week mid-September. There were lots and lots of campsites to choose from. The campground has several loops and is the bigger of the two campground in the park. Mazama is the only RV campground at Crater Lake. There are trails right near the campground and you can walk to Annie's cafe, a small and sparse general store, and a gift shop. Water and flush toilets are available. When I was there it was very chilly all day but especially at night.

Ranger Review: TEPUI Luxury sheets - Kukenam 3 at Fish Creek Campground

Ranger Review: TEPUI Luxury sheets - Kukenam 3 at Fish Creek Campground

Campground Review:

The drive to Fish Creek Campground on the 224 (Clackamas hwy) is beautiful. You’ll be surprised by sudden breathtaking views of the river along the way while delving deeper into a sea of beautiful green trees. We chose this campsite because it is reasonably close to a few of Oregon’s most interesting hot springs and we ended up visiting Bagby during our trip. The campsite itself has everything you would expect from a somewhat remote campground including a horrifying bathroom scene (not to mention the mouse that surprised me when I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night). There are a few sites with river access but ours (spot 8) was blocked from the river with a small fence. There are also a couple of yurts you can rent that include bunk beds and some advanced shelter as compared to tent camping if you have kids with you. I’d give this campsite a 3 out of 5 stars, and can promise you there are many better sites along the way if you book early. This has everything you need for minimalist camping, but be aware that you probably won’t be able to start a campfire if you visit in August/early September.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt I get to review some great and often very practical products. This trip I was lucky enough to upgrade my Tepui Kukenam 3 rooftop tent with Luxury sheets.

I chose the blue sheets to compliment my Haze Grey tent (the other option is green). I have to admit I was a little hesitant to admit that sheets could be a necessary part of camping. It is after all referred to as “roughing it” but I have to say that adding these sheets to my rooftop tent has made a huge difference. I put the bottom sheet on the first night and left it on when I folded the tent down for the night. It stayed in place perfectly, and these sheets are so much softer than the green, rough, water resistant cover that sits on the mattress by default. Now that I have these sheets I can’t imagine sleeping up there without them. I still used my sleeping bag along with the sheets and an extra blanket because it was pretty chilly at night, but the added comfort the sheets provided took my comfort to the next level. I highly recommend them to anyone sleeping in a rooftop tent!

Very short stay.

We got in at about 9:00 pm and had to leave the following morning at 8:00. The vault toilet was clean and not especially stinky. The campsite was large and very flat, with a picnic table and fire ring. There is a nice waterfall right nearby and the surrounding first is beautiful.

Rustic but nice campground with bathrooms, fire pits, and potable water.

Some of the campsites are on an incline which would not be good for tent camping.

Beautiful lakefront sites

We stopped here for a quick overnight on a road trip (Labor Day weekend) and were pleasantly surprised by the gorgeous views from our lakeside tent site (spot #70) of Crescent Lake and Diamond Peak. Not all sites have views, but the forest setting is very nice. The camp host was friendly and the facilities (pit toilets) were clean. There are water spigots and grates for washing dishes.

Mellow lakeside camp

A quiet family campground by an Oregon lake in southern Oregon, at about 4000 feet elevation that has fishing, water skiing, boating, hiking, biking and fantastic chocolate vanilla soft serve cones at the camp store. Close to Ashland, Oregon and the summer Shakespeare festival and Jacksonville, Oregon for the Britt Festival. A great relaxing RV camping spot, with electric, full hookups and hot showers.

Beautiful Wooded Spots

Similar to nearby Princess Creek Campground, Sunset Cove Campground is part of the Deschutes National Forest and is located on Oddell Lake. They also both have docks for day-use boating, pit toilets, and generally nice, larger camp sites surrounded by trees.

Sunset Cove is a bit larger and more developed, the day use area is nicer and more accessible, and there's drinking water available. The spots on the lake at Princess Cove, however, are amazing, and I never found camp sites quite as nice at Sunset Cove.

In summary: you'll do great at either of the Deschutes National Forest campgrounds on Odell Lake. If you want slightly more developed facilities, including drinking water, go to Sunset Cove. If you want to get away from everything with an amazing spot on the water, go to Princess Creek.

Great campground by clear lake

Big sites, boat ramp, clean pit toilets, you can buy firewood from the camp host or at the junction.Next to via a walk over the damn the resort that has a restaurant, dock and small store that rents SUP board, kayaks, wave runners, and canoes by the hour and sells fuel for fishing boats. Nice beach area -clean clear and very cold water-

Big beautiful lake surrounded by peaks!

This beautiful lake is nestled between the mountains near hwy 58. We visited in Auguat, 2018 and the water was quite warm and it has a rock bottom. This combo in Oregon makes for rare swimming conditions! There are many camp grounds and a resort located on the south end.

Great location, short walk to Diamond Lake

This campground is huge! Well maintained restrooms with flushing toilets. There is one shower facility that was quite a walk from our campsite but very well maintained, worth the drive across the campground after a dusty day of hiking. Great location as it is a short drive to the North Entrance to Crater Lake.

Ranger Review: Oofos Slides at Crater Lake National Park

Campground Review: Mazama Village Campground at Crater Lake National Park

Despite the crazy-hazy smoke surrounding Crater Lake, my family had an absolutely amazing time camping at Oregon's only national park. We made our reservation less than a month in advance for a Thursday night and managed to grab one of the "12x12-foot" tent sites. We'd read about the reservation process beforehand, so arrived around 1pm at the Mazama village store to receive a map and told to look for any "blue" post camp sites that were open. We headed straight for the tent-only loop (G) and grabbed what I think is one of the best spots in the entire campground. Absolutely huge campsite for a national park, amazing views, and near a water spigot. We were pretty far from the flush toilets, but otherwise quite perfect.

Mazama "Village" is right at the entrance to the campground and has a small store, showers, laundry and a nice enough restaurant. We were 4 miles from the National Park headquarters where there's a video of the lake and junior ranger activities and another 5 miles after that is Crater Lake with its tiny store, nice lodge and a few lookouts. The days we were there the smoke from regional wildfires was so bad we couldn't see the water in the crater, but we still had a great time and are excited to try again next year with hopefully better visibility.

Ranger Review: Oofos Slides

full hook ups and by the river

this campground has all the necessities . a laundry spot, playground, full hookups, boat ramp, etc. Seems like it caters more specifically to RVs and is close to hwy 97. It is a really clean well maintained spot. This campground is also right by the river which is really pretty.

Neat park with museum

Really nice park off of hwy 97. It has a neat museum and the facilities were clean. There is a neat clear creek is just down the road and has trails to explore. There were people kayaking on the creek. Lots of places available to park and it was a little crowded but still a nice park.

campground not open

this campground was closed. it looked like it had nice corrals for horses but the sign said closed and no one was around when we stopped by

spacious clean campground

nice well kept campground. This campground is a couple miles of dirt road off of hwy 97. The camp host was very helpful and nice. He explained to us where good spots to put our kayaks in. I saw two water spouts and there are bathrooms. The campgrounds are dispersed and it was not crowded when I was there. A little hot and dusty but that’s camping at times.

Great Location

Great campsite for many activities in the area or a stop before Crater Lake. Very close to the Umpqua Hot Springs as well as, I’ve heard, awesome mountain bike single track. the campsites are fairly spacious with a nice fire pit and tables. However, there isn’t much privacy between sights. The bathrooms are typical NFS pit toilets and were very clean.

It’s one of the nicer campgrounds I’ve been rent camping at.

It has toilets and showers nearby the campsites as well as water spigots. It also has easy access to the lake fo swimming.

Family time

Great family campground, plenty of bike and lake side hiking trails. Nice shade during the hot months. Definitely will go back!

a good place to go

camping was good. the lake is close to most of the camp sites so it is easy to go kayaking. Crater Lake National Park is only about a 20 minutes drive…the only thing bring bug spray

never forget

last trip my late fiance and I had before he passed away. we lost out through knife, canoes around the whole late, made love on the shoreline. what an amazing memory.