Crater Lake National Park, OREGON
Camping Oregon Crater Lake National Park
Most Recent Crater Lake National Park Camping Reviews
Really fun campground !!!

Fantastic campground. All types of cabins, tent, rv camping during Summer Season. Boating. Kid swim area. Little private beaches under the trees. Nice lodge restaraunt and bar. Outdoor bbq and music on weekends. Reserve ahead and driest come camping spots! Big families. Day rate parking too. I love this place.

The views almost make up for getting screamed at

I slept on the island, which was a unique experience. The camp ground was clean and very well maintained. Overall, a pleasant experience. That being said: I made my reservation over the phone on the same day. The lady was cordial and sounded nice over the phone when I let her know that I would be arriving later in the evening. However, when I arrived I was "greeted" by a man in a neon yellow shirt yelling at me from across the parking lot. He was telling me to leave and that I needed to "turn my *ss around and get off the property". This was very unsettling as a single woman traveling at night to an unknown campground. I replied to him by saying that I had a reservation. He shrugged and walked away, but continued to watch me set up camp at my designated campsite. I brought this up with the owner, and she made excuses for him (apparently he was the maintenance employee) , saying that they had been having problems with people using the campground as a park. Regardless, I suggested that they treat anyone who comes onto their property with kindness until they figure out whats going on. No paying guest should be yelled at. Ever. I will not be returning to this campground.

One of our favorite campgrounds

A great place to get away from the rat race. Cell phone service is a bit sketchy, but that is one of the reasons I love it. Fishing is good after restocking. The peace and quiet is what it is all about.

Lakeside Camping

This campground offers a bunch of lake view/ lake front camping sites. The sites are spacious with tons of bathrooms (yes, they are super clean for being pit toilets!) and water spouts! The mosquitoes aren’t terrible but are definitely present.

Great spot for the family!

My entire family has stayed here twice for family reunions and it has been a great spot for the entire family! They have cabins (tiny houses) for rent as well as spots for RVs! The lake is absolutely stunning and a great size for boating and fishing. The tiny cabins do have some critters living in them but as long as you don’t leave food on the counters you should be okay!

Great alternative to Mazama!

We had a reservation for the night at Mazama, which NPS cancelled <24 hours prior to our arrival so we were left scrambling for another place to stay. This campground was on the list of outside-of-the-park alternatives, and we were able to grab a site (one of several that were available) when we arrived around 6pm. The campsite was nice and right along the creek, the water tasted great, and it's relatively close to Crater Lake.

North side

Choice of forest service camp sites or a few first come first serve beach spots. The lake is beautiful and easy to navigate with the KOA and store on the southwest side. Mosquitos are going away with the recent heat that has come across the west coast. The lake offers fishing, boating, camping, paddle boarding, etc…

Hemlock

Relaxing lake. Easy drive. Bug season is about over. Stocked and ready for fishing. Camp spots are on either side of the lake with a boat ramp.

Relaxing

Lake in the woods is a small lake with small but accommodating camp sites stationed all the way the lake. Mosquito season is about over making the trip more enjoyable.

Camp

Beautiful small lake with several camp sites stationed around the lake including the snow shelter that takes reservations throughout the summer months. The sites cost $8 per night. The mosquitoes are still awful but are worth the views and paddle boarding opportunity.

Quiet

This was a forest service campground with restrooms and water. Now all amenities have been removed! They even removed the sign. It was a bit tough to locate as I was looking for the sign ! We did locate it and glad we did. It is quiet nestled in old growth forest the rogue river flowed to east side of it and there are trails for hiking. It is not maintained so there are some low hanging limbs there are 10 spaces and did I say quiet. Very quiet

Beautiful but expensive for questionable amenities

It’s $25 a night with a $8 fee for reserving online. It’s a smallish campsite walking distance to the lake

Pros: Beautiful area Weather wasn’t too hot, plenty of shade Beautiful lake Resort next door that has a small restaurant and kayak rentals Has flush toilets Great hiking trails

Cons: Bathrooms are old, infested with spiders, grime covered. Toilet and sink was cleanish tho. The only clean bathroom was in the Day Use area. Was night and day difference. Bugs. Lots of bugs. Right by a busy road. You’ll hear traffic constantly throughout the day.

Resort next door has some janky showers and sort of friendly staff. We ate there the before leaving, chicken sandwich and fish and chips. Chicken sandwich 👌🏻 fish and chips were saturated with oil. They were heavy and wet. I tried to just eat the fish to avoid all the oil, but even the fish was oily. Even after pressing and bathing the fillet in many many napkins. My stomach regrets to inform you I still tried to eat it (and didn’t tell the server, she looked like she was having a rough day). Starting feeling sick about an hour later. 🤦🏻‍♀️ just watch what you order I guess.

Wow!

Big! In the pines! Big meadow spread out nice campground

Beautiful peaceful! But the bugs!

Great free campground to enjoy the beautiful calm branch of the upper Klamath lake! More like a river!

Eating me Alive!

This camp ground is clean, has showers/bathrooms and lots of space. Access to the lake is super close too! The only bad thing about this whole area is the mosquitos that are everywhere at dusk and dawn. Bring repellent as at one point my wife counted 22 mosquitos on my back! I know insects can’t be prevented but this is only reason why this doesn’t get five stars. We stayed at B3 tent area :)

Perfect spot for swimming and kayaking

Great location right on the lake. Easy trail goes around the lake to the Lake of the Woods resort and day use area where you can get food or rent boats/kayaks. Gorgeous sunset. Nice ranger on site. Bathrooms were surprisingly clean for full site. Running water and flush toilets. Would definitely recommend this place.

Coulnd’t Have Imagined a Better Spot

This campground was perfect for a quick road trip night. Got a spot right by the river and it was beautiful. It had a nice boat ramp, picnic table and trails to walk around the river to some fishing spots. The camp host Ray came by in he morning and was the sweetest man. For two ladies camping by ourselves, we felt safe and had a great time.

Will definitely be coming back for a longer stay with some friends and family.

Lake levels

Has always been one of my favorite mountain lakes, but If your looking for recreational fun, pass. Howard Prairie is ran by Jackson county parks and rec but managed by the feds. They drain the lake for irrigation of lower fields and lakes. This causes muddy shores and sad views. No complaints with the campsites - they are spacious and depending on the time can be semi private.

Perfect spot to camp!

Multiple bathrooms, clean spaces with plenty of space, a shower, beautiful lake, and cell phone service! Went over the weekend and they have free live music at the lodge! Family and pet friendly really doesn’t get any better than this for $25 a night.

Nice RV Park

One of the best places we've stayed! Beautiful campground with nice sized sites, some sites are not quite level. The wifi was pretty good, definitely better than most of the campgrounds we've been in. The park was located close to Crater Lake and dozens of gorgeous hikes with waterfalls! The bathrooms are probably the only area of opportunity but they were functional and clean. The price is very reasonable and based on your length of stay, so the longer you stay the cheaper it is!

Amazing !!!!

Prettiest park we have seen so far. Great spots, lots of hiking trails. Biking trails, fishing, boating and water falls. Only thing I would warn people about are the yellow jackets in the ground. Our dogs got into some and they went everywhere. Clean showers, great rangers and host. I just cannot say enough.

Amazing place but filthy

This place is breathtaking, however there was a literal human shit sitting right outside one of the hot springs. Very filthy and overrun with people

Well off highway...

About a mile off the highway so no noise to overtake the roar of the North Umpqua. Numerous spacious sites, many right on the river. No bugs early July.

Camp 28

Beautiful view of the lake and not overcrowded! We were in camp 28, a walk-in site. Plenty of hiking trails in walking distance, the lake was warm enough to swim in. Lots of chipmunks, please don’t leave food out. Very friendly camp host. Also saw a few pelicans. The worst part was the mosquitos that attacked us! Apparently they’re only there for 3-4 weeks and we were right in the middle of it.

Woodsy riverbank near Hwy395

We stayed here at the recommendation of a friend—2 nights. Very clean bathrooms and unlimited showers. We stayed in a tenting site, with our mini Meerkat trailer, off the grid. Lots of bold chipmunks. Near the junction to go to Crater Lake, which we did as a day trip, about 45 minutes each way. Small grocery store in nearby Chiloquin. The campground is near the highway, and you can hear traffic occasionally, but there are a number of hiking trails (easy) and you can get down to the cold, clear river.

Awesome spot!

Great for group camping. Lake is great for water sports, trails all around the lake. There was a beer festival and live music on the weekend we camped at the pavilion.

Riverside Resting Place with Hotsprings Access

We were walk-ins at Toketee Lake, surprised to find not just a campsite on a summer weekend, but an amazing campsite right on the river with lots of hammock hanging options. Slept right between the trees to the sound of the river.

In the evening before sunset we hiked up to the Umpqua Hot Springs - this is the closest legal camping to the hotsprings TH.

Each site had a table and fire ring. Loved all the trees.

Great Nature - Interesting People Watching

This is a day use only area, but there are quite a lot of long term "campers" in the area who live in the woods nearby and use the hotspring as their bathing facilities. Expect plenty of nudity.

The hot springs themselves are lovely. Go with a sense of humor and appreciation for the nature and you'll enjoy it.

We camped at the nearby Toketee Lake Campground which allowed us to visit the hotsprings just before sunset when it seemed quieter. It was also a smokey August because of fires, so there were fewer tourists than normal.

Reservation Cancellation During Fires Felt Unfair

I had a 2 day pre-paid reservation to camp at Mazama Village at Crater Lake and was super excited since it was going to be my first time to the National Park. The trip was in August, which can be an unpredictable time for wild fires in the area, so before we left Portland to make the drive, we checked to make sure that everything was open (cell signals aren't great outside of the I-5 corridor).

By the time we reached the northern entrance to Crater Lake several hours later, we learned that the entrance had been shut down that afternoon because of smoke and fires in the area. We had to turn around and make our way to the Southern Entrance of the park which is at least 2 more hours of driving away. We were not able to get all the way to the Southern Entrance of the park before sunset, so we had to get another campsite for the night. The entrance to the National Park was not manned because it was closed for fire, and there is no cell signal in any of this area, so we could not call the park.

In the morning, we drove the rest of the way to the southern entrance and to the Mazama Village campsite to check in for our second day of camping. The ranger could see our confirmed paid reservation for both days, but they would not allow us to check into our campsite because we had no-showed on the first night. We explained the situation of the park entrance closure and they know that there is no way to contact them from the area, but they would not make any exception. I would have understood if they had given our site away when we had not showed up, however the campground was not full because of the fire situation and the site we had paid for was vacant. They offered us the campsite we had already paid for, but wanted us to pay again in order to occupy it for the night. I was not willing to pay an additional $25.50 on top of the $56 I had already paid and lost to stay at the campground. We left the park and drove somewhere less smokey to visit.

The actual campground looked just fine and had good amenities as you'd expect of a national park, but this was a terrible experience.

Crater lake is amazing!!! You'll never see anything like it!!

Take time to go down to the lake,take the time to go around the lake, so much to see!