Crater Lake National Park, OREGON
Most Recent Crater Lake National Park Camping Reviews
I’m a little bias

Growing up in Medford my father always took me to this park and I’ve loved it my entire life so my 5 star rating may reflect that.. although at this park you can find tons of hiking trails, wide open spaces, very friendly staff, bathrooms, showers, electric/water hook ups as well as playgrounds for kids and not even a mile down the road you have the marina where you can grab some supply’s. I’d say all those things on top of the stunning natural beauty add up to 5 stars even without the nostalgia 😁 p.s I still miss the huge stone water fountain and mini pond they used to have.

Conveniently close to crater lake

Nice facilities but crater lake is the star of this trip, beautiful year round there is always something to do here even if buried under ten feet of snow!

Great for horses

A fun little campground that is located right off Dead Indian memorial road. There are a few wooden stalls for horses and campgrounds are first come first served. Picture is from a nearby lookout we hiked to. Beautiful trails in the area.

Very fun

A very fun campground that only seems to be busy around the summer months. Bathrooms are nice and campsites include a fire pit and picnic bench. People seemed to be very friendly and social. Nearby is the logging museum which is free to the public and open regular hours.

Close to Crater Lake

Free camping after April 30th. Permits are required otherwise. It's a big open parking lot with two fire pit areas and the snow hut with a wood stove in there. You can also go down to the lower lot area, which is a pretty steep and bumpy road maybe 100 yards long. Below there are a few other camp sites close to the river. Wouldn't take an RV down there even though there is space to turn around.

This is as close to the NP as you can get without being in a formal campground, which aren't open until summer season.

Our first night there were 4 other groups camping and our second night we were the only ones.

Right on the Williamson River

Right on the Williamson River, this campground is beautiful. The owners are very nice and accommodating. It has full hookups and a nice grass areas for tents. The bathrooms/showers were recently remodeled and very nice and clean. The river is great for fishing, and in the late summer you can catch crawdads for a delicious crawdad boil. In the office they have outdoor games such as corn hole and ladder ball you can use. Reservations are a must! It fills up quick in the summer.

Historic CCC camp

Close to highway 138 east, at over 3000’ elevation. Camp ground is small and well suited to tent or pickup campers. Look out for low tree branches. Thielson creek runs through the area.

Use at your own risk

Primitive hot springs, heavy use and not very safe. Steep scrabble trail up slope to hand dug holes. Toilet paper and human waste around area.

Rustic Forest Service CG

This campground is reminiscent of days gone by. Located along the banks of the beautiful upper North Umpqua River, and the North Umpqua trail campers can enjoy nature. The local area is home to the Toketee Ranger Station, and a unique Historic hydroelectric power generation system. Toketee Lake is well suited to canoe and pontoon fishing. The lake is cold and German Brown trout can be caught on loot or fly. This campground is with in 2 miles of the beautiful Toketee Falls and 5 miles of the stunning Watson Falls. In addition to the North Umpqua Trail the Clearwater trail provides cascading aqua clear waters and cool temps on hot summer days. The area hot springs are disappearing and potentially unsafe. Local residents reported problems with car break ins and in sanitary conditions from over use.

Rustic Forest Service

Beautiful waterfall and cold clear river running through old growth evergreen forest. Easy access off of highway 138 east - limited turn around area for larger RVs.

Beautiful and pleasant

A great big campground that is first come first serve. The lots are decently sized and for a National park you can find some reminence of privacy. Can't wait to visit again!

Awesome

What an awesome place to camp! So much space, the lake is gorgeous! The best part is that we haven’t had to deal with any obnoxious, loud campers. Small families, lots of dogs, nice and peaceful

Nice free site

Good ATT coverage and a nice spot right on the lake

You Could Do Better, You Could Do Way Worse

This sneaks away from the main road and has a confident small river, plus there’s a huge variety of sites of all sizes (+ a couple of yurts). You’ve got good hiking if it suits your fancy and it’s easy to combine sites if you want even more space. Add professional camp hosts, romantic and amazingly functional hand water pumps and rich greenery, and you’ve got some good memories. An annoying fence separates a lot of sites from the river, and there might be more spectacular scenery elsewhere, but Fish Creek won’t let you down. A good place to not be lonely.

Great views of Lake... thats about it

4-5 pull thru sites. Pretty close together so the fire pit is a foot away from my slide out. There are some back in sites on the edges of the camp. Didn’t eat at the restaurant. Kayaks and paddle boats to rent. Staff are nice but hard to find at times. Bathrooms are clean but very rustic. Paid about $50 in April for full hookups- no cable, but has slow wifi.

Stunning Lakeside Camping

Great little campground for a weekend escape. Not all sites are lakeside, but all have access to the beautiful view. Getting here is a little off the beaten path, so if you feel lost, you’re going the right way. It gets chilly at night, so pack accordingly. We’ll be back with the family and pups and this time with our kayak and SUP!

Alt-Lodge Go-To; 7-miles South of Rim Village in the Trees

One of two campgrounds officially in the park, outside of a backcountry permit, Mazama Village is certainly not a place of solitude, notching in around 200+ sites, but if amenities are your m.o.—camp store, restaurant, showers, gas station—for $21/tent site, you won’t find a better option, other than the historic lodge on the rim of the lake.

Combined with RV spots, and the popularity of Crater Lake as a Seven-Wonder of Oregon bucket-list spot, the village is pretty much at capacity all season long, as such you’re bound to have a diverse social experience from tourist to family to rowdy glamper, but in my handful of experiences here, everyone pretty much respects the 10 p.m. quite hours in favor of waking up to those gorgeous ponderosa pine blanketing the grounds.

Otherwise, re: solitude—giddy-up a dash for Mazama’s much more low-key, tent-only 16-site sibling a few miles closer to the rim, Lost Creek, which ditches reservations entirely, instituting a first-come, first-served option, and Pro-Tip 🤫 : is only $10!

Great Hub for Rogue River and Crater Lake Activities

We really enjoyed a couple of nights here in September. The place was about half full. Quite clean and quiet, which was nice for us as tent campers. The hosts are friendly, and had firewood for sale. We were surprised that fires were allowed, so we were willing to pay abut $10 for an armload that lasted us for the evening. The sound of the Rogue River is so soothing.

It was great having the Rogue River trail run right past the campground. We checked out the Rogue Gorge trail, which is a short loop past some dramatic narrow sections of the river. We also walked down toward the Natural Bridge, which is an amazing spot where the river runs down into a lava tube and then emerges about 100 yards later.

It's also a pretty easy drive back up to Crater Lake, which also was pleasantly uncrowded. Over the course of three days, we did several hikes.

Internet and phone service are pretty much non-existent, which was fine. You can connect up around Crater Lake Lodge.

Spacious lake side campground

Large campground with lots of dispersed campsites. Bathrooms, water, firewood, hookups, picnic tables, etc. This campground has a movie screen set up for outdoor movies. It also has big fields and is located right next to lost lake. Very pretty well maintained campground with lots of recreational activities close by!

WHAT a beautiful place!

Took the kids camping here for the first time tent camping and we had a blast. Albeit a bit dusty and rustic, we couldn’t believe how beautiful the lake view was from atop the trailheads and how spectacular the views of the pinnacle rocks were on drive down towards the lake. The campground is clean, well kept and there is bear proof boxes to keep them hybrids of your things which was reassuring and helpful. We will definitely be returning.

Great Campground

Great campground with spectacular views of Fourmile Lake and Mt. Mcgloughlin. Most of the campsites are quite roomy, some are private, and some are open. The camp host is very helpful and friendly.

Great place

Very peaceful

Large sites with good food & nice owners

We went to the resort instead of the forest service site because of the size of the campsite and the friendly people.

Great Campground near the Crater Lake Area

This is a great campground only about 45 minutes from Crater Lake National Park. It is a very large campground with spots on the river, sunny spots, spots with rock fireplaces, very large spots, a wide range of spots to choose from. There was heavy smoke from nearby forest fires and fires from California that caused a lot of people to not visit the campground, making it very quiet and relaxing for those of us who did visit. Due to the smoke, I did not visit any of the nearby hiking spots but did take a photo posted on the information board. However the park is so large with many roads and paths that just walking around the park was great. There were also several people and kids riding their bikes around, I definitely recommend bringing bikes. The small village of Union Creek at the entrance had a couple restaurants, a food truck, a general store, an ice cream shoppe, and another campground. The general store sold bundles of wood for a couple bucks cheaper then the Campground Host, and the Huckleberry ice cream at the shoppe was a perfect summer treat.

I was in spot 78. It was a large spot with the river running about 200 yards behind it. There was enough room for several tents. The path to the river, led right to a private sand bar in a slow moving part of the river. Great for families. The bathroom was also fairly close to the spot.

The cons for this spot, the water and trash were very far away. If you were filling up anything more then a water bottle you would have to drive to fill up on water. There were also only a couple locations that had trash bins making it possible to walk to, but again if you had a large amount of trash or leaking trash bag you would have to drive.

Overall I highly recommend this campground, especially the spots near 78.

Spacious quiet spot

This snowpark has a big parking area with plenty of room for trailers/vehicles. There are bathrooms and a warming shelter that has a wood stove. The park is close to Crater Lake National Park anout 10ish miles down hwy 62. Nice pretty spot that is easy to get to. No hookups and no water available do be sure to bring it.

Lake shore site

Two weekends after Labor Day we arrived without reservations at the campground where we enjoyed a lakeside site. This is a beautifully located, well maintained campground. Hot showers are available on an honor system; donate for the time under the spray.

Most Affordable NPS Campground Ever!

It was only $5 a night to stay here! Granted there was no running water and the only toilets were plastic portable ones but to camp in the incredible Crater Lake National Park that felt like a steal! Lost Creek is tent camping only and there are no fires allowed. There's only a handful of sites that were almost full by later afternoon. The sites are separated by low brush that doesn't provide too much privacy but also keeps the campground from feeling crowded. It's a quiet campground about 3 miles from the Rim Road. Another 4 miles down the road is are the Pinnacles, super cool formations left behind when the volcano erupted 7,700 years ago.

I visited mid-September and it was very chilly in the evening and early morning when the sun was behind the mountains. I woke up to a solid layer of frost and ice in all my water. There is water available throughout the park but campers are encouraged to bring their own form outside Crater Lake so as not to put pressure on the watershed.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking one of the ranger led sunset hikes up Watchman Peak. Or, if learning about history and nature along the way isn't your thing, walking up to the peak alone.

Relatively Quiet

I arrived mid-day in the middle of the week mid-September. There were lots and lots of campsites to choose from. The campground has several loops and is the bigger of the two campground in the park. Mazama is the only RV campground at Crater Lake. There are trails right near the campground and you can walk to Annie's cafe, a small and sparse general store, and a gift shop. Water and flush toilets are available. When I was there it was very chilly all day but especially at night.

Ranger Review: TEPUI Luxury sheets - Kukenam 3 at Fish Creek Campground

Ranger Review: TEPUI Luxury sheets - Kukenam 3 at Fish Creek Campground

Campground Review:

The drive to Fish Creek Campground on the 224 (Clackamas hwy) is beautiful. You’ll be surprised by sudden breathtaking views of the river along the way while delving deeper into a sea of beautiful green trees. We chose this campsite because it is reasonably close to a few of Oregon’s most interesting hot springs and we ended up visiting Bagby during our trip. The campsite itself has everything you would expect from a somewhat remote campground including a horrifying bathroom scene (not to mention the mouse that surprised me when I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night). There are a few sites with river access but ours (spot 8) was blocked from the river with a small fence. There are also a couple of yurts you can rent that include bunk beds and some advanced shelter as compared to tent camping if you have kids with you. I’d give this campsite a 3 out of 5 stars, and can promise you there are many better sites along the way if you book early. This has everything you need for minimalist camping, but be aware that you probably won’t be able to start a campfire if you visit in August/early September.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt I get to review some great and often very practical products. This trip I was lucky enough to upgrade my Tepui Kukenam 3 rooftop tent with Luxury sheets.

I chose the blue sheets to compliment my Haze Grey tent (the other option is green). I have to admit I was a little hesitant to admit that sheets could be a necessary part of camping. It is after all referred to as “roughing it” but I have to say that adding these sheets to my rooftop tent has made a huge difference. I put the bottom sheet on the first night and left it on when I folded the tent down for the night. It stayed in place perfectly, and these sheets are so much softer than the green, rough, water resistant cover that sits on the mattress by default. Now that I have these sheets I can’t imagine sleeping up there without them. I still used my sleeping bag along with the sheets and an extra blanket because it was pretty chilly at night, but the added comfort the sheets provided took my comfort to the next level. I highly recommend them to anyone sleeping in a rooftop tent!

Very short stay.

We got in at about 9:00 pm and had to leave the following morning at 8:00. The vault toilet was clean and not especially stinky. The campsite was large and very flat, with a picnic table and fire ring. There is a nice waterfall right nearby and the surrounding first is beautiful.